Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Have they mentioned whether the 2015 360 is qi changing or proprietary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Zenwatch 2 available for preorder at Newegg

The larger version with rubber strap for 130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886320002
The smaller version with leather strap for 150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886320004

Keep in mind the smaller version has lower resolution(280x280 vs 320x320) and also has a smaller battery(300 vs 400 mah) I believe.
No HR monitor or GPS or QI for either one.

I have absolutely terrible luck with ASUS products but I still caved and preordered the larger version.

Edit: Actually don't order from Newegg. It says nonreturnable and nonexchangeable which is ridiculous. It's available to pre-order from bestbuy which has a better return policy.

lostleaf fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 28, 2015

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I finally received the zenwatch2 and I have to say its pretty cool. I thought the larger size would look terrible on my too small for a guy wrists but it fits perfectly. The reviews nearly all say that the unit feel cheap but it feels very premium to me. Then again the only experience I had with Android wear was with the LG watch R and the zenwatch2 feels the same. Battery life is better than I thought. Lasted two days with about 30 notifications a day which is about the only thing i use for it. Love leaving the phone somewhere and not worry about missing an important text or email. The quick release strap is very well done. I wish traditional watches implement the same strap.

Overall 150 bucks well spent.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

xlevus posted:

"Is that an apple watch?"

I get that at least once a day with the zenwatch2.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I don't know about the 360v2, but my Fossil Q Founder is able to charge off a flat qi charge pad. It does get significantly warmer than when on the dedicated charger though, so I do not plan to do this often.

How's your experience with the q founder? My wife commandeered my zenwatch2 and I'm deciding between waiting for the next gen chipset vs buying the q.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I have the mi band 2 that I wear daily. Battery life is great. I had it for about 10 days and it's about 55% battery life left. They are very generous in counting steps. So subtract about a thousand from the amount of steps(I'm just guessing out of my butt). Also very generous in counting sleep. It said I was asleep when I wasn't. Probably over estimated by an hour or so. The heart rate monitor is surprisingly accurate as long as your wrist stays still.

The notification is extremely limited though. Anything other than SMS just pops up the app icon. If it's SMS, then just the SMS icon.

Check slickdeals for a deal for 30 bucks. Make sure to pay two dollars extra for express shipping otherwise you'll be waiting for months.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Has there been any info whether ZenWatch 3 has NFC capabilities? I know the 2100 chipset supports it but I'm wondering if the antennas are there.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Did ZenWatch 3 update to 2.0 come out yet?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Are you still getting decent battery life? I flashed back to 1.5 because 2.0 barely made it 12 hours.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've been asking about this but nothing yet, can you link to how to flash back to 1.5?

It's pretty simple if you've used fastboot and adb before

download and extract the AW 1.5 image
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tz9bg5fggpfn2q6/swift_partition_dump_part1_MWG68.zip?dl=1

make sure your watch has adb debugging set to on
connect your watch to your charger and your charger to your computer
open a command prompt and navigate to where you extracted the 1.5 image

adb reboot-bootloader

wait for the watch to go into recovery mode

fastboot oem unlock

follow the commands on the watch to unlock the bootloader, wait for the watch to reboot

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

when you flash the system partition, it takes about 5 minutes by itself so don't disconnect thinking something went wrong

fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot format userdata
fastboot format cache

i recommend you relock the bootloader, otherwise it's going to popup a warning everytime you reboot the watch

fastboot oem lock
fastboot reboot

And you're done. You'll need to repair the watch to your phone. There's no easy way to remove the nag for the update to 2.0 unfortunately.

if you need help with adb and fastboot install here's the links for them
https://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
https://dl-ssl.google.com//android/repository/latest_usb_driver_windows.zip

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Hmmmm.... My zenwatch 3 got updated to wear os. I thought it was abandoned. Also, I recently found out why the battery life was so terrible when I initially updated to aw2. Your watch face makes a huge difference in battery life. I'm back to 40% drop about every 12 hours which was my aw1.5 levels. Its still janky as hell but the battery life is decent again. . If you stopped wearing the zenwatch, give it another shot.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

You might have convinced me to try mine again, the battery drain was one of the killing factors for me.

Are Android Wear watches still on the SD2100? Is there any point in getting a new one?

The watch face I'm using is 'ksana sweep'. It was free when I got it. Not sure if it's still free now.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Does tizen have google maps integration?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Anyone know the band size for the watch4?

edit: just saw the previous post. Thanks.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I have a tic watch pro3 and Google maps seemed to have completely disappeared from my watch. I can't download it either from the Play store on the watch. Is anyone else having this issue? I've had this watch for 2 years and it wasn't an issue before. I'm not sure when it disappeared as I normally do not use it except when traveling.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

bull3964 posted:

48 hour off charge. AoD on, lift to wake on, continuous heart rate, tracked sleep, I only took it off my wrist to take a shower.

20% left.

With AoD off, I could easily see this being a 4 day watch. It could also easily be a 3 day watch with AoD on if you plunked it on the charger for the 10 minutes or so a day for showering.

Is the watch 5 battery that much better than 4? I thought the hardware between watch 4 and watch 5 was practically the same

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Kalli posted:

Hi folks, my father is getting old and feeble and recently fell down in the kitchen away from his phone and was stuck there for awhile until my mother got home. She travels a lot, so I want him to have a way to contact me / others in an emergency. I have basically never thought about a smartwatch before, but looking at things, they seem to have fall detection and can make emergency calls, so I'm wondering if anyone's gone this route for an older relative or if I should look at life alert / switch him over to an apple device or what.

Phone wise he's got a Samsung A10e I believe (whatever tmobile was giving away a few years back) so android 9 which looks to be enough, but is there anything I should be on the lookout for? Only one I've looked at was the Samsung so far (not realizing there really were others), any recommendations? Looking for something on the larger side, if wearable in the shower, that might be good, but not sure if I should go with a more breathable strap either. Doubt he'll ever use it for anything besides for hard fall detection and emergency calls. Also for what it's worth, I saw Samsung's site has a government employee discount which I can presumably swing, and will definitely prefer a LTE version in case he ever forgets his phone somewhere.

So other questions:

1) How reliable are these? Saw someone on the last page mention theirs just died randomly
2) How's the battery life? Saw complaints on samsung's site that it's not great (which I mean watch sized battery, i get it), is he looking at a recharge once a day or how far can I push it?
3) Can I configure it to turn off almost everything but the hard fall detection / call stuff? He's grumpy and his mind's starting to fade, so easier is better here.
4) I'm probably going to end up buying whatever and setting it up myself, is it a brutally stupid idea to pair it to my phone first to do the setup?

The main issue with the watch is the battery life. If your family member able to remember to charge it daily?

Have you looked into Samsung smarttag? You can set a routine when the tag is pressed to send out a customizable sms. The phone DOES NEED to be in Bluetooth range though for the tag to send a sms. But otherwise it's much more suited for your purposes than a watch. The battery lasts for about a year. Easy to use(just press the button). You can also set it to a press and hold to activate the routine. Put it on a necklace and it won't be lost.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

So does this mean, old watches like the galaxy watch 5 or 6 will get battery improvements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Cynically, I think even if they could, they wouldn't as it would remove a reason to upgrade to the Galaxy Watch 7 or 8.

That's what I thought as well. That's too bad since that just means I'm going to wait to buy a watch with the improved battery life. The OnePlus 2 is appealing but I'm looking for a watch that's as light and flat as possible. Something along the lines of watch 6 but with better battery life.