Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
"With GPS and offline music support, you can already leave your phone at home, then go jogging and jamming like normal. Now Android Wear supports watches with built-in Wi-Fi. As long as your watch is connected to a Wi-Fi network, and your phone has a data connection (wherever it is), you’ll be able to get notifications, send messages, and use all your favorite apps."

Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

I'd probably assume not, unless it was originally advertised as "wifi ready" like the Sony watch was. From the iFixit teardown it looks like the 360 "might" be using a TI chipset that supports wifi/BLE, but the wifi part might be disabled for power savings.

I stand corrected.

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2015/04/moto-360-its-time-for-update.html?linkId=13654909

I would bet wifi connectivity might be a prerequisite to iOS support, if they ever do such a thing. The device would need its own connectivity to bridge the gap between what Android can do with another Android device and what iOS would let it do otherwise.

Still a little embarrassed about the flat tire hah

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

Can you be a little more specific? I've not used Now because it requires location data to be turned on which makes my inner tinfoil hatter break out in hives.

Edit: I'm aware what Now does conceptually but I'm not exactly sure what portions of it are vital to Wear general functionality. I've been under the impression that push notifications and such are handled by it's API hooks but I could very well be misinformed.

Get over it? If you don't want Google to have all your data, you should stop using Google services and Android. If you are using Google services, at least let them give you some benefit of them data mining you. Your location is like the least of the things they already know about you anyway, hah.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

Hey maybe you could answer the question of 'what functionality to I lose by not enabling google now with android wear" instead of getting all huffy that I'm not utilizing my gadgets in exactly the way which you deem preferable.

Look, all I want to know is if I can get push notifications (texts/email synopsis) and control my media playback without enabling google now. Is that so hard a thing to expound upon?

\/\/ I got that memo, my commentary wasn't really pointed at you. My hope was to enable some discussion regarding the pros and cons of Wear as a platform and elaboration as to what it can do without enabling intrusive ad-ons designed to data-mine your entire life. Not spur yet another ridiculous tangent about how a hypothetical user Is Doing It Wrong (tm).

MC Hawking posted:

Get a goddamn grip

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

SpelledBackwards posted:

This may come as a shock to them, but the only part of my jogging route which has Wi-Fi coverage is the part starting and ending at my house. These seem like totally disparate features.

Haha, they weren't saying you'd have WiFi on your runs, they're giving examples of functionality that you have without your phone. Before, you could still use GPS and offline music playback without your phone. Soon, you'll be able to use your watch more without your phone, as long as they're both on WiFi.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

TraderStav posted:

From your perspective it may not make sense but I'm certain they have people analyzing their customers behaviors and such policies end up profiting in the long run. Costco can do no wrong in my book. They own on every level. I even use Costco branded acid reflux medicine and drink their beer.

Pretty sure late 90s/early 2000s, before everyone had a home computer, they let people return PCs years later. Why would you think Costco, or any company, is immune from making mistakes? Especially when it comes to a new product category.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Three Olives is always wrong.

lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I have only the Ticwatch E, so can't compare to 2100/3100, but can comment on it. For the most part, performance is fine, just not great. The definite worst is the wrist flick gesture to show the time, if always on display is disabled, takes like 1.5 seconds. That's the only thing that routinely bugs me about the watch. Also, it takes a good ~2 seconds for voice input to start working from the time you hit the button to start. That would be frustrating if I used it much, but I don't.

Otherwise, it's fine, and this is coming from using a Pixel 2 XL. Opening apps is decent, swiping to the different panels (notifications, quick settings) is fine, scrolling the app list is good.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

My misfit vapor isn't even lasting 4 hours now. I guess it's time to factory reset it to see if it fixes the issue.

I'm more and more thinking a Samsung watch us the way to go.

They're not WearOS still, right? Do those have the basic 3rd party exercise and messaging apps? I assume there's some Samsung app store?

Edit: I've paid zero attention to their smartwatches but for some reason have the impression they're closer to a Fitbit smartwatch in terms of interacting with notifications and having support for 3rd party apps. I have no idea if that's true.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 1, 2019

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Ticwatch E2 is nice, just really big. Noticeably a bit quicker at stuff than original Ticwatch E, and battery seems good, though I've only had it a couple days.

Unsure if it's true, but apparently the charging cradle included is so shittily/cheaply made, if you plug it into a charging brick that's over 1A, it'll brick the cradle to protect from frying the watch :aaaaa: Like rather than include the miniscule amount of circuitry needed for the charging cradle to negotiate power draw, they just said nah gently caress it. 3rd party chargers of course do not have this issue.

I did in fact plug the cable into an iPad charger (didn't know this could possibly have been an issue lol), and the watch wouldn't charge, so maybe true! Lots of forum posts elsewhere about people's Samsung quick chargers bricking their watch charger, too. I got a hassle free replacement via Amazon so no big deal for me right now, but still lol. Not sure I can recommend given that, but otherwise it's a nice cheap smart watch!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Just root your watch

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

couldcareless posted:

I'm intrigued. I guess you're not going to beat apple on fitness and health tracking, so going towards more style and minimal function and alleviate the struggle of battery life could be a good move. I'd consider getting one, especially if they look nice.

Yeah, I honestly don't need a watch to do much. If I could interact with Android notifications and use Strava on a Fitbit Charge, that'd be like my ideal.

Edit: Although I want the opposite of style, give me some plastic thing and cut the price plz

sourdough fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 18, 2019

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, WearOS as an exercise tracker and notification viewer is totally fine, but I wouldn't use it or count on it for much more, certainly not paying for stuff quickly and without hassle

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If it happens again, holding physical button for like 20-30 seconds should be the force restart shortcut

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah I have a iPhone se 2 half because i got a cheap Apple Watch and its nicer than wear os (though largely for Apple health so idk) and half because I wanted a smaller phone. Any effort into making wear os better will be nice, just so smart watch experience is less of a differentiating factor between android and ios.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I was actually going to post that I don't know how other people get such atrocious battery life on WearOS. This isn't actually related to your post though LastInLine, sounds like yours is just busted :(

I've had a TicWatch E and E2 and now a Misfit Vapor X that I've had a few days after their fire sale. How I use it: always on display with time + date, interactive watch face with bigger time + date, no wrist gestures (I found AOD + push button to wake works way better than no AOD + raise-to-wake), pre-covid I'd do 45 minutes of running most days. The TicWatch E2 usually had ~40% battery left after 14-16 hours off charger with that exercise included. I wore the Vapor X to sleep but turned theater mode on so the screen wouldn't wake, it lost like 10% overnight, and it's gone down another 15% in 5 hours off the charger today. I'm not willing to risk messing up the good thing I've got going to test it, but I bet having info on your watchface that is potentially being updated frequently in the background even if it doesn't need to be (weather, battery life, step count, whatever), is a major culprit. The only times I've noticed crazy battery drain are when I was tinkering with something at a desk for 2-3 hours and listening to music, so the music controls were on the watch screen the entire time, probably refreshing a million times a second to see if the album art or progress bar needed to update.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Ticwatch may be the only alternative? New Pro 3 looks good if you like the styling and size

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

MrNemo posted:

It makes me sad how broken wearables on Android are every time I see my girlfriend's Apple watch in action. Maybe some of the future Samsung or the mythical pixel watch this year will finally give me a decent option.

I had a couple wearos watches and recently got a Samsung Active 2 when it was on big sale. It's definitely better than the wearos watches for what I use, largely because gps connectivity was inconsistent just enough to be annoying (sometimes had to restart watch for strava to get gps, sometimes it lost signal during runs). The only downside is it linking up with samsung health on my pixel 5 has like double or tripled the idle battery drain so that it only lasts a day now, I think because it's constantly getting gps location, but not sure.

Kind of an unfair comparison obv, but I had a Apple Watch series 1 with an iphone SE 2nd gen and it was not really better than more recent wearos watches, definitely not better than this samsung.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The TicWatch e3 is apparently available now for $200 and would be a big step up. The e2 was good, just definitely worth the extra money for better chip and ram and the extra side button

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
It's not awful at doing basic things, just will be fairly slow and janky. If you want to read notifications and track workouts, it's functional, and battery on the E2 was good at least

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I have a samsung active 2 and it does everything my apple watch series 1 did. Though idk I may be a light user, pretty much anything beyond fitness tracking and notifications feels like looking for something that your new gadget can do that your phone can do better. I also have had a few wearos watches and they were fine, though more sluggish at times, especially after a reboot.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I preordered the normal one cause they're giving me $150 for the Active 2, makes it pretty easy to go for even though I've been plenty happy with it and not really bothered about updating

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah I got the email confirmation after like 6 hours, no big deal

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
ECG seems like the sort of thing you either don't need or need something actually medical, not a smartwatch

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Just dunno if that $150 trade in value is going to last.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Speaking of which, Gen 6 Fossils did leak briefly on Amazon. Looks to be around the $300 pricepoint with the 4100+ (first watch with it). Seems not quite worth it until we know what Wear 3.0 will work like on a 4100 chip.

Also, I'm sorry if anyone was on the fence and had a tradein but didn't pull the trigger. Samsung has slashed the tradein values after things have been live for a week.

Watch 3

Was $185, Now $130

Active 2

Was $150, Now $60

Generic Fossil

Was $100, Now $35

Brutal

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Apparently I only got the watch active 2 in March, for $100 new direct from Samsung. If the goal was to get people to upgrade, that initial trade in value worked!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I said the same thing in 2010 or so, so, yea, sure.

Any reason not to get a ticwatch pro S now for the use cases i outlined? also would like to listen to music while skiing and poo poo

The Samsung will be better (but cost more)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I haven't seen any reviews around LTE functionality specifically so I'm honestly not sure. I've never been able to stomach paying extra for just watch connectivity.

But having 4-5 $1k phones :D

Totally agreed though, doesn't seem worth paying anything, either monthly or for the hardware

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

Pujie Black is my preferred watch face app.

Same. Nice to have that back after the active 2.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I was all set to complain about my galaxy watch 4 being unable to measure heart rate consistently during bike rides. I was 0/5 on it tracking the entirety of half hour rides, and usually it'd track for 2-3 minutes and never again. But then I tried switching from the active 2 40mm sport band I had put on it, back to the watch 4 44 sport band it came with, and I'm 1/1 on it tracking heart rate. Subjectively the fit of the active 2's band seemed good, but the watch 4 band juts out a bit horizontally more, rather than going straight down and around the wrist.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hmmxkrazee posted:

What's the go-to for watch faces? The Galaxy Store had a somewhat nice section for just watch faces but it seems harder to find/navigate on the Play Store.
I tried using some of those 3rd party platforms like Facer and Watchmaker but looks like there's some compatibility issues with getting the complications to sync (like some faces don't support the Steps counter for Samsung Health so it just shows a blank). Also, a lot of the watch faces require a separate app just for the watch face itself??

I bought pujie black with google survey credit and just made my own simple watch face. But ymmv, I literally only cared about having (1) digital time that (2) would show seconds when I woke it from the always on display.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'd be curious if anyone else is actually exercising with their galaxy watch 4. Heart rate tracking still is a little spotty, but what seems to help the most is to have the watch almost loose enough that it doesn't stay in place on my wrist, plus have it as close to my hand as possible instead of a more natural spot. Literally never had this much issue getting consistent heart rate tracking and I've been doing it for like 5-6 years now, through a Fitbit, multiple wearOS watches, galaxy active 2, and an apple watch. Just curious if the Galaxy watch 4 is more fiddly than usual or if mine may be defective.

I am using Samsung health to track exercises which I normally haven't, because strava wasn't acquiring or holding gps well lol. So dunno if it's possible Samsung health sucks, but I know strava's app sucks so doubt it'd be better.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I've recorded 5 exercise sessions with my watch 4 so far and I've only had one few second drop in heart rate tracking throughout that whole 5ish hour cumulative time.

Pretty sure I'm being samsung'd. Had my heart rate for like a minute, couldn't reacquire for the next 5-6 minutes biking, so I stopped and manually did the stress measure thing. Sure enough, heart rate when I resumed was tracked just fine.

Guess I need to try another app and see if it's Samsung health being dumb.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, yours may just be fit being dumb.

You can usually find a support post about literally anything, so dunno how widespread it is, but might be an issue specifically with biking. So I'll try something else soon and see if it records better for me:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/wearables/heart-rate-tracking-bug-galaxy-watch-4/td-p/3907820

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/wearables/watch-4-hr-tracking-stops-during-training/m-p/3943532

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Factory resetting (and maybe not reinstalling strava or google fit? shouldn't have interfered but I'm using samsung health so don't need them anyway) seems to have mostly fixed my heart rate tracking issues. It still stops reading maybe once every 4-5 bike rides, but that's a big improvement over what I was dealing with.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, also possible. I manually checked updates for it, but wouldn't be surprised to have gotten one without realizing.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Am I grandfathered in for pujie or is it just a one time purchase cause I made my own watch face?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

You can make your own, you just can't browse the community library without paying for a sub.

Ah, got it. Well most watch faces people make look like poo poo so nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Well, still having heart rate tracking issues during workouts. Decent number of posts on the Galaxy watch subreddit saying the same, including people who returned it and got a replacement, so I'm probably just going to stick it out and periodically try other apps to see if they work better. Just frustrating because it's not like I need heart rate, gps is infinitely more important to me and that has been perfect, but it's such a dumb thing to have a watch for working out that doesn't do HR.