Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm curious - do the regular Google Fit apps work on the Pixel Watch or are you really railroaded to the Fitbit stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I only have experience with WearOS 2.0, but it seems to me that it does a bad job of letting you know what it's doing. I have the impression that when running updates it sometimes give you no indication that's what it's doing outside seeing the battery drain a lot faster than usual.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mental Hospitality posted:

I got mine today and it is definitely a small device. On my unusually tiny wrists, it fits just just well enough. Could stand to be 1-2mm larger in diameter and still look good on me. If they made an XL version, I could see a lot of people gravitating towards it. I've yet to wear it all day at work to judge battery life. I will leave AOD and TTW on (like I have on my Galaxy Watch4 which easily handles the 12 hours I keep it on during the day) to see just how it compares to my old watch.

E: My wrist is about 170mm judging by my half-assed non-technical measurement. Which I think puts me at the small end for a man's wrist, and probably average-to-above average for a woman's wrist. But I am no wristologist in that regard. Point being; if you got a beefy arm (beefy arm wtf?), this thing might not look good and the larger alternatives might be a better fit.

E2: My tiny wrist and the watch

I also have weird bird wrists, and that smaller size sounds appealing to me. My concern would be with the bands, but the lugs on the leather bands would make me feel a little safer. I've worn a watch for most of my life, and having to cinch bands down as tight as they go has led to me wearing out many more watchbands than watches.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

In case anyone hasn't seen the news, it looks like Samsung rolled out an update that was bricking Watch 4s. From what I read they stopped the rollout so not too many should be affected, but I figured I'd mention it.

https://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-watch-4-bricking-3232056/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

UncleGuito posted:

They've been pretty consistent with supporting hardware initiatives. Stadia wasn't a hardware product (except for the new controller).

Yeah, and Stadia was a first attempt at an emerging segment that wasn't well-defined yet. Nvidia seems to have had the best approach to games as a streaming service, but it took some time for it to become apparent they had a better overall take on it. I don't think Google had a clear idea what Stadia was supposed to be, whether it was cross-platform or proprietary, mobile or home, and also had the classic Google problem of being in a silo competing for time and money with other divisions within the company itself. They might have also seen the writing on the wall that Microsoft or Sony getting into the segment would probably make Stadia irrelevant overnight.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Frush posted:

Since it's Black Friday/Cyber Monday I'm debating grabbing a smartwatch since I just upgraded my phone (to a Pixel). Finding myself a bit overwhelmed by the options, but fortunately I don't have any particular brand loyalty.

What's a reasonably affordable android smartwatch that can use apps? I do some disc golf so I'd like to be able to use UDisc and such. I'm in Canada so I get the joy of adding about 30% to any of the prices.

I have a couple Mobvoi Ticwatches, and I just checked and my E3 would run UDisc, apparently. It shows up as installable in Google Play, at least. The E3 is running Wear OS 2.0 but is supposed to get updated to Wear OS 3.0 at some point.

Here is the Canadian page for it:

https://www.mobvoi.com/ca/pages/ticwatche3

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My first foray into smartwatches was a refurb Ticwatch E2, and it sold me on the concept well enough to upgrade to the E3. I have my share of gripes about the thing, especially the software (can't they hire a native English speaker to do internationalization?), but the price is hard to beat considering the features you get.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

How is the experience of a Galaxy Watch 5 on a Pixel? I got gifted one for Christmas and I haven't opened it yet or really read up on it, but I'd appreciate to hear what other people think.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

From a little research it looks like I would lose some things I do like if I go to the Galaxy, like being able to control the camera on my phone from my watch.

The gift was given with the explicit understanding I might need to exchange it, so I'm free to return it. I'm kind of thinking Fossil Gen 6 or Pixel Watch would suit my needs better.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

The Google Camera app works just fine on a Galaxy watch.

I read a review that said it only worked if you had a Samsung phone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

That might be the Samsung camera connector but I just tried it with my gw4 and pixel 7 and could definitely snap a remote photo from the watch

Do you get the video like you're looking through a viewfinder or whatever?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Can I get alerts and reply to texts to third-party apps like on WearOS 2? One of the main uses I have for my smartwatch is being able to see and if necessary respond to texts, both from Messages and a couples app called Between.

And does Google Pay work if you have a Pixel instead of a Samsung?

And I use the media controls for VLC on my current watch - I'm assuming that should still work?

Google Apps like Keep work normal?

Sorry to keep flooding, but I know it's supposed to be best in class but I got worried about my experience being limited because I don't have a Samsung phone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Right now, the best you can really do is use health connect and plunk them both into Fit. Neither Samsung Health nor Fitbit supporting writing of any significant fitness data in their stores, but they output it.

All wearOS apps work the same way they work on the Galaxy Watches, so if the app supported reply in WearOS 2, it would support reply here too.

Yes, I use Google Wallet exclusively and I have it bound to double tap of the top button.

Media controls work like normal.

All google apps work like normal.

It's a WearOS watch first and foremost, it's just skinned in OneUI and you'll have to change some defaults. You can even use Gboard on it. I go back and forth between my Watch 5 Pro and my Pixel watch and I use them exactly the same way with the same apps (aside from fitness tracking.)

Thank you for the feedback - maybe I will give the Galaxy Watch 5 a try. I don't want to lose functionality, but it would be so nice to have proper internationalization and feel less sketchy about using some of the health apps.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, I've been using the Galaxy Watch 5 for a few days now and I'm really liking it. I haven't had time to really dig into it yet, but compared to my Ticwatch the experience is way smoother and less intrusive. I'm actually making some light use of the health sensors because it makes it so easy to do so. Battery life is seeming impressive so far, too. I did change the band to a plain black leather band, although even the stock band wasn't bad - I just am not a fan of silicone watchbands. I should have more time to play with it over the next week or so, but so far it's great.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

Crossposting from the Android OS thread because I was obliviously posting there...

My S3 Frontier finally fell apart after 5.5 years. At first I was alarmed and thought the battery had burst, but it seems the glue on the back just failed. It had been decaying in other ways (altitude sensor stopped working, bezel gasket deteriorated), but had been snappy and done the main job of filtering notifications. Also the battery life never appreciably decayed? Weirdly enough its responsiveness also improved over the years with firmware updates. In the early days it used to frustratingly lag significantly at inconvenient times, but I think it hitched half a second once in the last year or so.

"Did my research" and ended up replacing it with the S5 Pro. I do think the normal S5 would be great/better for most, but I was feeling rich and this one fits me well. I really like the titanium bezel. It's also lighter than my S3, but I had a metal band on that. I ended up not being convinced by the Pixel, part because I don't use FitBit and don't want another ecosystem to deal with, but it also being Google's first attempt.

I miss the rotating bezel of the S3, but am sure I'll get over it. I am weirded out that even though they've changed OSes, it's so drat practically identical-feeling to their older watches. Like all the UI actions are identical, just icons are slightly freshened up.

The Play Store for Wear OS is not the worst but it's not great. I wish you could just lock it to only search for watch apps, instead of having to filter afterward every time. At first it kinda looked like it was no better for apps than Tizen ... they're there, but you really have to know what to search for.

Scrolled a few pages back and haven't really seen much in the way of app discussion. Anyone have some interesting suggestions that aren't typically featured or on the charts?

A few off the top of my head:

- guitar tuner
- pomodoro timer
- never gamed on a watch before, but 2048 works great.

If I ever golf again, I'll probably get an app for that. Had the Taylormade one on Tizen and it worked awesomely once, and then never again. Count strokes (lol), range-finder, etc.

Really happy with this animated Pipboy face fwiw: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reysondev.pipboy it's clearer and more functional than the S2 version I used to use.

Are you talking about the Play Store on your watch or your phone? Because you can filter to just watch apps in the phone Play Store, or at least I can on my Pixel 6. Open the Play Store, select Apps at the bottom, Other devices at the top, and click the button for Watch if it isn't already highlighted. I'm not wearing a watch at this very moment, but I don't remember the Play Store being a problem on my watches aside from the awkwardness of browsing on a tiny screen.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

It's weird, on my laptop browser I seem to have to filter after each search. On my phone, just my Nvidia Shield shows up under "other devices", but yeah the filter works there. I have a feeling the watch will show up eventually.

Maybe check to see if a Google Play Store update is waiting on your phone? Or an update for your watch? I'm not sure - I feel like I'm still figuring out all the functionality of my watches and phones, despite having used Wear OS 2 watches for a year or two and having my Galaxy Watch 5 since Christmas.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

The one thing that seems to be completely missing on Wear OS is some kind of news app. Tizen had Flipboard! Not even Google News.

I just checked, and apparently you can install a Radio Free Europe app, or one of multiple Voice of America apps. Apparently the US is keeping at the forefront of wearable propaganda.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

So that means no Samsung apps needed at all?

I just checked my Pixel 6 and I have just the Galaxy Wearable app to go with my Watch 5. I was hesitant going with a Samsung device but I've been really impressed with the Watch 5.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have a black leather band on my Watch 5 and it looks really good. The only reason I'm thinking of looking for another band is my current one doesn't keep it snug enough on my wrist for the blood oxygenation reading to be reliable.

If Mobvoi ever updates my Ticwatch E3 to WearOS 3 I might give it another go, but the Watch 5 is just a nicer watch in general. It's paired to my secondary phone to avoid the whole having to reset everything when changing phones.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

my wife wants a galaxy watch to replace her dead active 2. is there anything wrong with the galaxy watch 5 line i should know about before buying? i've read the 4 line has a bricking problem.

Not that I'm aware of. I wear it daily, and it's paired to my Pixel 6. I guess one caveat is that if it is paired to something other than a Samsung phone you might miss some tracking or have to jump through hoops to get some interoperability working. I'd defer to bull3964 on that, though - they are more knowledgeable than I am.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My Galaxy Watch 5 does the green flash thing, which I also assume is wrist detection. Mine locks whenever it is off my wrist, which I'm perfectly fine with. The green flashes don't bother me, personally.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Huh, it looks like Mobvoi might be close to actually updating the Ticwatch 3 series to Wear OS 3.0. I'm really happy with my Galaxy Watch, but still have my Ticwatch E3 paired to my secondary phone (so it never gets used) and am interested to see how it does with an updated OS. https://www.androidpolice.com/ticwatch-pro-3-series-e3-wear-os-3-beta/?newsletter_popup=1

If Mobvoi actually put any effort into internationalization I'd be more likely to recommend them, but the terrible English translations and convoluted permissions they had for Wear OS 2.0 kind of put me off them. The watch served me well, though, and if it improves with Wear OS 3 then it might be a nice budget option.

Edit: I also still have the Ticwatch E2 that served as my proof of concept for whether I'd find a smartwatch helpful, because I never throw things away.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just installed the update on my Watch 5 - we'll see how it goes.

Now if Mobvoi would ever get around to releasing on WearOS 3 for my Ticwatch E3 then I could see how viable that watch is with a more modern OS. Pretty much zero chance it would make it supplant the Watch 5 as my daily driver, but having my backup watch be more competent would be nice.

Especially if Mobvoi improves their internationalization so everything wasn't low-effort Engrish, although I hold out little hope for that. The Korean app I use to communicate with my partner does a better job with internationalization, even though you can definitely tell that anything outside the Korean market for them is a bit of an afterthought.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have a Pixel 6 and a Galaxy Watch 5. Are there plusses and minuses to installing the Samsung Health app? It would be nice to see my heartrate over time instead of being limited to one day at a time on the watch itself.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Fossil added Assistant quite awhile ago on WearOS3 so I don't think there's anything stopping others like Mobvoi at this point.

If Mobvoi ever updates the Ticwatch E3 then I might be able to find out. Their product support is not what I would call agile.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Has anyone had trouble with notifications after the update?

I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like my Galaxy Watch 5 is less consistent with notifications, and sometimes struggles to answer phone calls. I might just be paranoid and jumping at ghosts because I knew the update took place, but figured I'd ask.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

minusX posted:

So I was looking for the timeline of how fast they made changes etc, and looking at appbrain and

Holy poo poo. Looking at the other apps the devs have "made" seems like this is their MO. Buying out an existing app and then adding a ton of full screen ads that have a 3 day free trial followed by $250/year subscriptions to turn them off. This is really loving annoying and makes me worried for a lot of apps I've come to love and are doing well enough that someone else might want to buy them out.

This is an ongoing problem with phone apps in general, and I want to say it happened to some extent with shareware software on PC, too.

It's also a massive security concern, because bad actors will buy an app, load it up with malware, and unless you're paying attention pretty closely it can go unnoticed for a while. Just adding extortionate subscription fees is pretty mild compared to some of what has been going on out there.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MJP posted:

What's the goon zeitgeist recommendation for a smartwatch or hybrid smartwatch whose primary goal is to tell the time, show calendar reminders, and only listen to basic OK Google commands if a button is pressed?

I don't want to wear it while sleeping, I don't really need fitness/wellness tracking, and I'd like it to look like a regular old watch. Doesn't need to be waterproof as long as it can resist occasional rain or a splash.

I'm totally down to buy used/older designs. I've got a Pixel 6A and honestly I just want something that makes it easier for me to remind myself to do stuff, keep a task log, that sort of thing. Less a life-centering thing, more an ADHD functionality tool. It'd be nice if it maxes at $200ish, I'd rather have a fabric or metal mesh band but I'm OK buying those third-party.

I started off with Mobvoi TicWatches - I have both an E2 and an E3. You might check out TicWatches as they're more likely to be in your price range and sounds like a decent one would serve your purposes. I currently use a Galaxy Watch 5 as my primary watch, and have my grumbles about Mobvoi, but the E3 was pretty good when it was my daily driver. One of my gripes is that Mobvoi tends to be slow with updates (my E3 is still on Wear OS 2.0, despite a long series of promises it would be updated to Wear OS 3.0), and their English internationalization is pretty weak, but it performed well otherwise.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Quixzlizx posted:

Thanks for the replies. I think the Galaxy Watch 6 deal is over, now it's $145 of trade-in value toward a Watch 5, which seems less worth it.

Edit: Actually, it said the deal was expired on SD, but I was able to find it on Samsung's site. So it'd end up being $130 for a Watch 6 (non-classic). taking into account the price of the 4 Classic.

Mobvoi makes some TicWatches that might serve your needs, but at the prices you're talking about for Galaxy Watches I think it is hard to recommend anything else. I went from a TicWatch E3 to a Galaxy Watch 5 and the Galaxy is superior in every way.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm honestly surprised - I thought they were going to go full Motorola and just drop the whole idea of updating. I still have my Ticwatch E3 as a secondary watch paired to my secondary phone, so will roadtest this at some point.

I wish Mobvoi would actually pay attention to proper Internationalization, though. They don't seem to care much about the English language market, and even that announcement screams that it was written by someone with an iffy command of the language.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

My old Ticwatch 3s are downloading WearOS 3.5 right now.

Edit: Surprisingly, it runs really really well.

Did you do anything to trigger it? I tried checking the System Update button on my E3 but it just claims to be up to date.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anyone else have their Galaxy watch stop getting notifications, and the Galaxy app on their phone stop working?

I have a Watch 5 and as of today it stopped getting notifications from my phone, and the Galaxy app won't open on my phone. Looking at the reviews in the Play Store shows me a couple people experiencing the same thing I am.

Earlier today the watch showed itself as not connected to my phone, but my phone showed it connected via Bluetooth. An hour or so ago I installed the January Android system update on my phone, and now my watch shows itself as connected to my phone, but I'm still not getting notifications. Before the update the Galaxy Wear app on my phone would just show spinning dots like it was trying to load, but now it acts like it is going to open and then immediately closes.

I'm guessing this is something Samsung needs to fix with an update, but I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this behavior and maybe has a fix for it?

I've already cleared the cache for the Galaxy Wear app on my phone, and force stopped it and restarted it. Both phone and watch have been restarted a couple times, too.

Edit: Nevermind, I fixed it. Apparently it is an issue with the date, for some reason: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-Watch/Wearable-app-is-stuck-on-loading-screen-or-crashes-with-Galaxy/td-p/2769289

Manually setting my phone to December 31st let me open the Galaxy Wear app, and then I put the time back to automatic and the fix appears to have held. I just tested it and got a notification on my watch, so hopefully it's all good now.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 5, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

I did this fix a couple days ago and everything was fine over the weekend, but now it's broken again. I redid the date hack, and now it looks like there's an update for Galaxy Wearable that might fix the problem.

I got the update and my watch has continued to behave properly, so hopefully that does the trick.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Organic Lube User posted:

I'm mostly interested in ECG mode and also I'm hoping that I can use this feature I just read about where you can make your watch act as a virtual bluetooth mouse that will even recognize your finger taps as mouseclicks. That would be super handy for me, but seems to also be only for Samsung phones.

I haven't got it working yet, but if you're talking about WowMouse it is phone agnostic, as far as I can tell. So far I've only tried it on my TicWatch E3 but that watch hasn't updated to WearOS 3 yet and while it gets detected by other devices I have yet to make it work. Might try again after updating it to 3, or try it on my Galaxy Watch instead.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/13/24037132/wowmouse-wear-os-samsung-galaxy-watch-bluetooth-mouse-gesture-control-doublepoint

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Organic Lube User posted:

Yeah that's it. It just says it's not compatible with my phone in the app store, so I assumed it was because I'm on a Pixel8 and not a Samsung.

Edit: oh I gotta search from the watch itself, I'm a dumbass.

Does the Play Store give you the option to look at other devices where it says incompatible with your device? I installed it on my TicWatch by going into the Play Store from my watch and searching on it there. I'm pretty sure the phone the watch is paired to doesn't matter - my TicWatch is paired to an out-of-date Motorola phone.

e:fb

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Finally got WearOS 3 installed on my TicWatch E3, but it's my backup watch paired with my backup phone, so I haven't really tested it out yet.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, this is only semi-related, but my TicWatch E2 wouldn't charge, and the charger itself would burn out, if I plugged it into a charger that put out more than 1amp. I have no idea if the Pixel Watch 2 might be running into something along those lines (the charger wanting more or fewer amps than the source is providing).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is exclusively a Pixel Watch problem too, my Garmin works fine. I don't get it. Here are my Google Messages settings:

(blanked out spots are just people I've set as "priority" conversations so I see their display pic in the notification bar)

Maybe try turning on "Pop on screen?"

My other thought is that another device is"stealing" notifications - if you're logged into the same account on another device and it is alerting but your watch isn't. I've noticed a serious lag between when which devices get notifications when they're all getting the same notification, like a Google Keep alarm. Maybe something like that? :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

Hi everyone. I'd post this in a general smartwatch thread since I would be just as easily interested in a Suunto or Garmin if they met my needs, but there doesn't seem to be such an active thread.

I'd like to consider a smartwatch that would let me measure pulses and give infusions over a short time just as I can do now with my wristwatch. Ideally for this I would have faces with readable seconds hand but also an always on display/being able to set a really long (i.e. at least 2 minutes) timeout.

Any ideas? Especially interested if the previous Galaxy Watch versions such as 4 and 5 can do this.

I just checked, and my Galaxy Watch 5 can have the screen timeout set to a minute, so the second hand would be visible throughout that time. I'm not sure if there's an app or hidden setting to change this, though - I know you said you needed at least 2 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sourdough posted:

Yeah it did work for me, that was able to be toggled off

I tried it after you posted about the Developer Options, and it worked for me, too. Galaxy Watch 5 here.