Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shai-Hulud posted:

I cant exactly say that i would miss the flat tire on a 360-2 (They should call it the 720)

They should really take the piss on everyone and call it the Moto One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The 360 doesn't look that comically huge on people with normal, adult sized wrists.

(photo taken to prove a point in another thread)

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have very "average" sized wrists, and the 360 is in no way too large. It's pretty much on par with what size I'd consider to be "modern fit" for a watch, and I hate huge gaudy watches.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

spookygonk posted:

Got asked by a nurse today if my Moto 360 was the Apple Watch. :smith:

Good news was, when showing her the heart rate function, it matched the ECG machine I was hooked up to.

I get asked that all the time, and have been since I bought it (long before the apple watch was actually available).

Also, they all call it the "iWatch"

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

If Wear currently had the support (i know it's coming) to pair two watches up to a single phone, I would consider picking one up as one to use when bike riding or other outdoor activity that I wouldn't want to risk marking up my 360. Right now though, it's too much of a PITA to switch between two.

I have a 360 and a G watch that I pair with one phone. It's a trivial amount of time to switch between the two. I wear the G watch when I mountain bike, and it takes all of 20 seconds, maybe, to make the switch.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

Ah, didn't know that update was already out that allowed you to have more than one wear device.

I've had multiple devices working since the 360 first came out. I think it's always been an option, you just couldn't have them both receiving updates/etc at the exact same time.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Placid Marmot posted:

Calories burnt through walking is always going to be approximately zero, so you can broaden your search by eliminating that parameter.

What? This is extremely wrong. As wrong as nearly everything Three Olives said.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Some of us can afford luxury goods, and are willing to pay what many people would consider "too much" for build quality, materials, and yes, brand cache.

Keep in mind that, in some industries, it is extremely important to portray success to clients and business partners. It may sound really stupid, but wearing a recognizable $6,000 suit, or $15,000 watch can actually end up helping you make money.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mustache Ride posted:

I dunno, I get more attention for my Gen1 Moto 360 than I ever did for my hand me down flashy gold Omega.

That wasn't the point I was making.

Also, I wear a moto 360 most of the time, for the record.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Goon checking in that wears a moov now on the right, and a moto 360 on the left. If I was just into a generic fitness band and my smart watch, I'd consider something integrated into a tasteful band.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Welp. I bought a 1st gen moto 360 on release day, have been an android wear user ever since.... and my company just gave me an Apple Watch series 2 ceramic. My wife says I have to use it, so I guess I'll start using my company iPhone over my personal phone now.

This thing is so ugly. Jesus.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
They are issuing apple watches to all employees as part of a health and fitness initiative. I get a ceramic due to my position, but they are issuing series 1 aluminum to the proles.

I do have to use it, really. Not playing ball would look bad when I'm one of the guys that has to rah rah rah to my direct reports how this makes us such a great company to work for.

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 17, 2017

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So, an update. I know this is the android wear thread, but I'm an android wear guy being forced to live a lie, so I thought I'd chime in.

I've been using the apple watch my work gave me for a couple of days now. So far, in contrast to my Moto360 and G watches, the interface is a nightmare, while also being much snappier, responsive, and reliable than AW. Everything works quickly and does it's job, but I still haven't figured out all of the navigation mechanisms. It's really the most convoluted thing ever. The big main "screen" of app icons is useless and a nightmare to navigate.

The available watch faces I've found thus far are all terrible. I haven't found anything I actually like.

On the plus side, the HR monitor works infinitely better than the one on my Moto360, which was as close to useless as useless gets (Hold COMPLETELY still for 20 seconds and maybe, just maybe, you'll get a reading!).

That's all. Go back to your AW lives while I continue with this charade.

*edit

One other positive is that the haptic feedback blows away any android wear watch I've tried. It's seriously on another level. Very effective and.. uh... pleasant?

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 21, 2017

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Employer giving out "fitness trackers" has to be some sort of insurance discount eh? Like how security guards basically pay for themselves in insurance discounts even if they're useless.

Yes.

It is both a component of our insurance package agreement and an opportunity to provide value to employees with fairly minimal investment. My company was rated on the Forbes best places to work list up until the 2009 downturn (we had to conduct layoffs in some areas), and we are aggressively attempting to get back on the list. An investment of a couple of hundred dollars per admin employee is pretty small, while (temporarily) boosting morale to a fairly sizable degree.

I'm sure it would shock everyone to know that this is timed within a month of surveys going out to rate employee satisfaction.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Sounds cool. I get $100 off steel toe boots. :smug: (good ones cost $200+ Cdn)

Funnily enough, I also have to buy steel toe boots for work. I have to pay for them myself. My CAT boots were probably $100USD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

I'll tell you, for comfort you just can't beat the Wolverines with the comfort guarantee.

Aren't CATs just rebadged Wolverines?