Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The thing is there are actually a lot of mobile SoC suppliers. Does anybody know the technical reasons smartwatch designers must build around Snapdragon Wear instead of choosing anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

isndl posted:

gently caress the traditional watch paradigm, go nuts with a three inch rectangular display so I have what amounts to a miniaturized pip-boy. I'm not concerned about bulk, I've worn those massive G-Shocks no problem.

The Neptune Pine has come and gone

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Well, there's a difference between hearsay and reliable sources.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

With the revamped Fit app, it’s looking more and more like Google is making a Pixel watch:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3299479/wearables/google-fit-app-pixel-watch.html

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

tino posted:

Is there any square shaped Android 2.0 watch, I am not talking about full android 5/6/7 china watches.

Polar M600. Also the Asus ZenWatch 2, if you're OK with it no longer getting new software updates.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I'm starting to feel self-satisfied that I'll be going from Android Wear 1.5 to Wear OS 1.6+

tino posted:

can somebody explain to me why Google fit works on watches that don't have GPS?

Google Fit probably works on every Wear watch, I think they all support motion / step counting which is probably the bare minimum requirement.

Sorry I failed to catch that you would want built-in GPS :(

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Exclusive: Google Confirms No Pixel Watch This Year

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/no-pixel-watch-this-year,news-27956.html

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Len posted:

Two years of rumors leading up to nothing :negative:

I will say though that Wear devices are already a lot like the Nexus program where Google exerts a lot of control over the software

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

wolrah posted:

Given that there are no current cameras that can work through a useful screen, unless you're arguing against having a front camera in the first place it's definitely extra screen.

Now I personally am not a selfie person so I'd be 100% fine with a camera-less front panel but clearly that's not the mainstream market position. If you care about bezel size (again something I'm not convinced matters) it make sense.

LastInLine posted:

I wonder if the notch would be necessary if instead of the projector and cameras being in the screen, they were located... wait for it... above a screen with a flat top???? I guess we'll never know.

There is another option:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

PirateDentist posted:

I was hoping a Pixel watch would be on the horizon, but since it's not we can hope that something is announced by some wear makers when Qualcomm has their thing next week.

Huawei CEO says they haven't given up on smartwatches, would like to have one week battery life:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/wearables/huawei-richard-yu-smartwatches-news/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So as predicted, the new chip is not any more powerful and is not on a new process. However, Qualcomm claims to have delivered on the number one request, battery life improvements:

https://www.androidauthority.com/qualcomm-snapdragon-wear-3100-smartwatch-chipset-897457/

quote:

This new SoC uses the same 28nm process and quad-core Cortex-A7 CPU as Wear 2100 with a number of notable tweaks. These include a revamped DSP unit, new power management controller, NFC components from Qualcomm’s partner at NXP, and a host of power optimizations. The Snapdragon Wear 3100 boasts 67 percent less power consumption in low power mode, 49 percent less for GPS, 43 percent less for keyword detection, 35 percent less draw when updating the clock face, 34 percent less juice needed for MP3 playback, and 13 percent less power consumption for voice queries over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi than the Wear 2100.

Much of the improved battery life comes from actually adding another chip to the set, a tiny coprocessor:

The coprocessor doesn't run Android, it runs a tiny embedded OS. The trick is that it has enough graphics capability to take over the screen during ambient mode. Qualcomm says it can display 16 different colors, a moving second hand, and even some complications. Meanwhile the main ARM cores are able to remain completely asleep.

This handoff of screen control between two different chips running two different OS's makes me wonder how challenging it will be to create watch faces (and also what bugs will be introduced), but the improved battery life is appreciated.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Budgie posted:

Your phone probably has about 3000mAh battery, a smartwatch can cram at best maybe 400mAh into that space.

I'm quite disappointed that the next updated chip is so lacklustre. Can the coprocessor at least manage heart rate tracking and step counts without waking the main system?

Qualcomm says that their improvements will enable all-day heart rate tracking. I suspect the asterisk, however, is that with it enabled you'll be back to 1-2 days of battery instead of going for a week.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Much more interested in the Huawei Watch GT

https://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-watch-gt-specs-leak-is-everything-we-expected-from-the-watch-3

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LastInLine posted:

The LG, of course, lacks any kind of rational explanation. There's no excuse for it and like other dumb things will be rightly ridiculed. If it ever makes it to market it won't generate enough revenue to cover the tooling costs involved in making it.

It's an objet d'art, LastInLine, it's not meant as a practical gadget. Now obviously that clashes a bit with LG as a brand, but those Korean mega-conglomerates are huge and sometimes weird things come out of them as they throw everything they have at the wall to see what sticks.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I'll admit it, I was wrong. That Huawei actually is interesting! (What I like most about it in this context is that it's still round, despite incorporating a rectangular old school LED, further forgoing function for a round form that is itself a compromise toward a function it neither has nor pretends to have. It's brilliant!)

The image in the article isn't the Huawei Watch GT, it's the Huawei Watch 2

There are rumored to be two versions of the Huawei Watch GT, a "Fashion" style and an all-black "Sport" style. This is the rumor/leak for the former:

No leaks for the "Sport" style yet but of course it's possible that it will actually look a lot like the Huawei Watch 2

TorakFade posted:

Wait, I have a Huawei Watch 2 and the only difference I see there is sleep tracking (which you won't do because this watch is sort of bulky and awkward to have on your wrist while sleeping, at least for me) and 2 weeks of autonomy with the same battery (haha lol yeah. Even if true, are we really complaining about having to recharge something every 2-3 days when we have to charge up our phone almost every night? What would having 2 weeks of autonomy do besides being just slightly more convenient?)

And the title says that is everything we expected from the next Huawei Watch ... is that what passes for a generational leap in smartwatches? I'll be able to go on with mine until we have flying car and/or teleportation then, after 1 year it still lasts 3 full days if I turn it off at night, displays notifications and time, and lets me read / write quick messages. Good to know.

Yeah the main thing Qualcomm improved is battery life so the main difference we will see is battery life improvements. I think the idea of 2 weeks of autonomy is that it gives you the confidence to leave it on overnight for sleep tracking, whereas when it only lasts 2-3 days there's no point trying because you have to leave it on the charger every other night. Hopefully there are also improvements in step / heartrate tracking?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android Wear 2.x and Wear OS 2.x are two different things. Are you sure every device that got Android Wear 2.x will get the newest Wear OS?

Edit: welp no I googled it, nevermind

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/09/28/wear-os-2-1-now-rolling-features-long-awaited-redesign/

quote:

Google says any watch that received Android Wear 2.0 should get the new interface, which only leaves out a handful of first-generation models (LG G Watch, Samsung Gear Live, original Moto 360, etc.)

Rastor fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 5, 2018

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

lol

Looks like the Huawei Watch GT won't run Wear OS,
Huawei is instead using its own software

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I think second, but first affordable one.

quote:

The wearable, called the Sport Smartwatch, comes in six different colors — gray, pink, red, blue, green, and black — in both 41mm and 43mm sizes. There’s also a wide range of silicone straps (28 in total) that are interchangeable and water-resistant.

Fossil is emphasizing the Sport Smartwatch’s ambient mode, integrated heart rate sensor, 350mAh battery (with promised all-day battery life), as well as NFC and GPS capabilities, which are all supposed to be improved from the watch’s last generation

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If you really wanted a Wear OS device I imagine the one to look at would be the Fossil Sport.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/fossil-sport-smartwatch-review-2018-11

However it currently seems to be pulled from their website for some reason

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Len posted:

If you have your watch on wifi it still gets stuff through black magic. I found that out when I forgot my phone at home one day and still got texts at work.

Yeah I'm thinking the explanation here involves WiFi

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

One of the weirdest things about our weird times is that Samsung stuff is now kind of... good?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Are there any wear os watches with a clickwheel? I liked the Galaxy watch I had from a style and functionality standpoint but I didn't like how no Android apps worked with it

Some have the crown that twists, but I think the twisting bezel is unique to Samsung.

Fossil Group came up with something that Google liked, bought, and will supposedly be releasing at some point. But we don't know if it's a better input method, improved health/fitness tracking, or what

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

If you can call it that. It's a 2100 with an (as yet) non-functional DSP tacked on.

I think the Fossil Sport uses it for low power more

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fauxtool posted:

I was trying to find something like that originally, but I wasnt using the correct keywords and got very poor results

"Dedicated heart rate monitor with remote data" seems to have a few good results, thanks!

I understand why you were frustrated by the answers you got but this use case just isn't a good match for smart watches, especially Wear OS ones.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Qualcomm may finally deliver a smartwatch processor that doesn't suck

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/07/09/qualcomm-may-finally-deliver-a-smartwatch-processor-that-doesnt-suck/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Eh, that's what we thought about the 3100 too. At this point, they haven't earned any reason to be optimistic.

All true, but at least this time there's a specific rumor

quote:

The "Wear 429" name, plus the other specifications listed, implies this new chip could be a tweaked or stripped-down version of the Snapdragon 429 Mobile Platform

quote:

The upcoming silicon will feature 64-bit support, 12nm node, Cortex A53 CPU cores, ...

Qualcomm's current Wear 3100, in comparison, uses a 32-bit design with A7-based CPU cores and a larger 28nm node.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

DO NOT get a Wear OS device that doesn't have 1GB of RAM

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fossil is doing spring clearance, 30% off pretty much anything as long as it's in stock.

Try code SITEWIDE30 or failing that, SHOP30 on the fossil.com site and even their affiliated brands like the skagen.com site.

Brings a Skagen Falster 3 from $295 to $206.50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I think the smallest one right now is the Skagen Falster 3?