Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

A Pixel watch with a new SoC and battery life that's easily a full day aka nothing like my Zenwatch 3...I'd go back to Android Wear for that.

Yeah, same. I've been slumming it with a Charge HR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I love how every time someone complains about the battery life they're getting other people chime in about how they don't have such problems.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The charging dock for the OG Moto 360 was really good and cool.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

nm

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I think it's because the dock has a tab that goes between the buttons which gives the impression the dock is part of the watch. It's only 12.6 mm thick.

FWIW, I deleted my post because I saw the part where they said how thick it was.

For anyone who is confused i made some comments about how the photo in his link made the watch look super thick.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

I'm confused as to why an android watch couldn't achieve a week long or greater battery life if you keep GPS/Wifi/LTE off and have the screen automatically shut off after you look at it.

Probably blame the same ole lovely chipset every Android wear watch has to use because theres nothing else.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I can only assume Google puts minimal resources towards Wear because it doesn't have a chipset (yet) worth a poo poo so why put a lot of resources into it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I'm sure this monopolistic entity won't abuse such a position and spend the absolute barest minimum of expense in this effort to grow the 100% of the market they already have.

I guess its arguable what the correct reference class for "market" is, but they don't have the Apple Watch market and I can only assume they'd rather grow Wear rather than watch it shrink.

(I'm not really arguing what the 3100 will have, I'm just not sure where their head is at)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Given that Qualcomm hasn't released a new wearable chipset since early 2016 it's pretty obvious that Qualcomm doesn't care about Wear's growth either way. They are the only provider of chipsets for Wear and while I'm sure it'd be great if they were in more demand, it's all gravy to them and certainly not worth investing earth dollars into. It's difficult for me to imagine that you "don't know where their head is at" when we have the history of capitalism and many instances of monopolistic behavior all pointing to Qualcomm working as hard as possible to not spend money on a niche that has no hope of being profitable.

When it comes to competing with Apple, it's not really a competition in more ways that one. Firstly, it's not like anyone can use Apple SoCs, so while the phones themselves compete, in the SoC market Qualcomm's competitors are MediaTek, Samsung, Broadcom, Intel and a couple other really minor players like Rockchip. Qualcomm beats these guys not by making a better design but by owning a shitload of modem patents. Anyone who bought an LG or a Nexus 5x can attest to just how great their chip design is.

Secondly, it's not like Qualcomm is actually on the same level as Apple whose designs are generations ahead of reference ARM chipsets. The Apple Watch is running on modern hardware that is much, much more powerful and power efficient than the equivalent Qualcomm offering and this is not an equivalent offering, it's one many years out of date. Even if the 3100 is modern, and we've seen no indication it will be, it would still be far behind what Apple is doing.

Again, I'm not sure them being the only provider of chipsets for Wear is relevant and you haven't convinced me that it is relevant. (Also, again, I'm not arguing that it is or is not relevant, I'm arguing that the evidence isn't there to be confident.)

Would Qualcomm rather you buy an Apple Watch or an Android Wear watch? What does that say about the reference class for their market?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yes, all that is true, but it's tangential to the point I'm trying to make. You're basically making an argument that Qualcomm will not make a better Wear SoC because they are a monopoly.

I am not claiming that they are or are not a monopoly. I am not claiming that they will or will not release a better chipset. I am not claiming that you can't make a good argument that they are a monopoly. I am claiming that even making a good argument that they are a monopoly in this space is a long way from being able to claim it with a high degree of confidence.

Monopolistic reference classes are difficult when you're not dealing with spherical cows.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Given that the FTC classifies them as a monopoly, I'm willing to state with a high degree of confidence that they are. They are a monopoly, the textbook definition of such, and have been found to be abusing that position.

I have no idea how anyone could make the claim that they aren't?

I'm actually quite familiar with the textbook, and defining the reference classes for a monopoly is a Hard Problem and calculating the outcomes of monopolistic practices is also a Hard Problem.

You can definitely use the past actions as a guide for contemporary actions. The question is are those past actions of the same sort in the same circumstances where they make any sense to apply.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Rastor posted:

The thing is there are actually a lot of mobile SoC suppliers. Does anybody know the technical reasons smartwatch designers must build around Snapdragon Wear instead of choosing anything else?

Pure speculation here as I've done zero research and its just based on some general feeling about what the market is like:

My first guess is that most Android watches coming out in the past year or so have been from Fossil and its brands so they're all going to use the same thing.

And then other smartwatches you can think of like Huawei's, Motos and LGs came out before there were other "good" options to choose from.

Note that at least some non-Fossil watches like that guys Ticwatch are not using the Snapdragon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

Has anyone bought the Tickwatch Pro? It seems to have literally everything one could want in an android wear watch except really heavy water resistance.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/ticwatch-pro-review

Dual display (5 days mixed use, 30 days fully if only transflective display is used)
GPS built in
NFC (!)
Heart rate monitor.
Speaker
No Flat Tire
IP68 waterproof (waterproof up to 1.5 meters underwater for 30 minutes, enough to shower or take a bath in, but not to really swim unless you never dive and keep the time in the pool pretty short)

It was talked about on the last page.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

BMW hasn't been about bare bones beaters in decades.

What rock have you been living under?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Come up with a new UI paradigm, because honestly Wear kinda sucks in a lot of ways that won't be fixed by a magical new SoC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Steal rotating bezel navigation from Samsung.