Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

This would probably be the first good, attractive Android Wear watch were it the case.
I actually really like the design of the orange Casio Wear watch, it's just hilariously huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Magog posted:

Amazingly it's still lasting all day (which means it's still lasting longer than when it was brand new lol)

Luchadork posted:

Same, I'm still using a OG 360 and the battery gets me through the day, although just barely. I'll happily upgrade to the Not Pixel Watch, assuming the price is right.
I leave home 08:45 and it'll last until I get home around 19:00. But if I got out in the evening it'll generally be dead by around 20:00.

Considering I bought it expecting to replace it after a year and they actually improved the battery life and performance significantly after release I guess I'm reasonably happy with how it has done.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blue Train posted:

That one's not bad looking, tho I don't like the button placement
If you're looking at the photo in that article that's the existing Huawei Watch not the rumoured new one.

I quite like the big Google watch to be honest, but then I used to wear a huge rugged G-Shock and kind of miss it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

I could have sworn that Huawei said they were not releasing any more Wear watches.
That was "for the holidays":
https://www.cnet.com/news/as-apple-watch-series-2-samsung-gear-s3-debut-android-wear-hopefuls-lg-huawei-motorola-call-timeout/

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I'm still waiting for the avalanche of places to accept NFC payments to materialize before I worry about having NFC on a watch.
In the UK contactless payments are ubiquitous so I too would like to have that option, though in reality it looks kind of awkward in a lot of cases.

Have been waiting for these and I like chunky watches but that thing is a monster and the strap looks uncomfortable. Combined with mediocre reports on battery life I don't think this is the one for me. And the price isn't ideal either, feels like I'd be paying for a cell radio and GPS that I have no use for.

I guess my OG 360 with eight hour battery lives on, for now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Walgreen's is the only place I've ever used it too. I just don't see the point, pretty much every time the person working the register has no idea how it's supposed to work and even if they did why would I do it?
This is mindblowing. How has America hosed this up? You just tap your phone on the regular payment terminal instead of tapping or inserting your card, the employee doesn't even have to know or care what you did, and it takes one second.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Does Google pay work everywhere in Europe (or elsewhere) where regular cards work wirelessly? That's almost everywhere so that'd be pretty cool.
Yes, Android Pay worked immediately and universally on launch day on every single contactless card machine in the UK because the reader just thinks it is a contactless card. I would assume this is true for other countries as well.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Huawei will be announcing their next Wear device at MWC. Here's to hoping it has a round screen and with an inbuilt ambient light sensor. They mention it's going to have a 1000mAh battery so I'm guessing it will be the size of those arm thingies quarterbacks use to keep track of plays.
This is a misunderstanding. The 1000mAh is in reference to some battery packs that the guy was giving away to people who retweeted (or whatever the equivalent is on Weibo).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BlackFrost posted:

Huawei Watch 2 got announced proper. For those who, like me, were put off by the sporty design, they've made the Huawei Watch 2 Classic, a non-ugly version with all of the same features. GPS, HR Sensor, NFC. No LTE for us lowly yanks unless I'm misunderstanding what they mean by "international version only". Comes out in March in most markets, April in U.S. and others: https://www.cnet.com/products/huawei-watch-2/preview/
The Classic is almost the perfect watch except no crown and why does it have numbers around the face? I don't use analogue watch faces which makes that look stupid. Will consider it though. My OG 360 now only lasts about four hours on the battery!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

It has a 25(!) day battery life in its ultra low power mode.
I very much doubt those numbers are accurate. Manufacturers make a lot of bullshit claims about battery life on tech.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jesus when is someone going to release a decent watch. Just make the Huawei / 360 v2 with NFC and I'm in.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Do I need to put in spoilers that it's a giant pile of poo poo? So far the consensus is that Wear 2.0 sucks and all the new hardware is terrible.
I've pretty much given up any hope of replacing my OG 360 with a decent new model since they're all bad. Went back to wearing my old comedy-huge G-Shock. At this point Android Wear is basically dead since even Google can't get it right.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's certainly a frustration for those of who us who just want a watch as a glanceable notification device but that's what the first gen watches were and basically they didn't sell well enough for anyone to carry on making them. So now we're trying round two with fitness devices!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I don't know how much of America you've seen but let's just say I wouldn't stake any future on "let's sell a fitness device to these guys!"

I'll tell you now, the only "fitness sensor" I need is sofa tracker and maybe beer locator.
Seattle, New York, and both the Disneys. So, yeah, don't have my hopes high!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

But the S3 is what all of this thread wants in a watch.
As an Android developer a) I'm not going to buy a non-Android watch and b) Samsung regularly ruin my day with their lovely phone software and I have no intention of rewarding them with my money. So maybe all of this thread except me. I'll keep waiting for the fabled good Wear device.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Plus the ability to use it on magstrip only readers rather than just android/samsung/apple pay terminals makes for a much more applicable use case.
It's true that this would be useful when I travel to one of two places: 2003 or the USA.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I had to factory reset my ZW3 and the loving thing is stuck on fahrenheit for temperatures. I've set it to celsius in the Android Wear app, Zenwatch Manager app, and the watch face app. What the gently caress?
In what sense is it stuck? Where exactly are you seeing Fahrenheit temperatures? Android doesn't have a system -wide settings for for temperature units so it's basically down to the specific app to decide.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like every "fashion" Wear device I see looks like someone glued a screen to a regular watch. All the proportions are wrong and it just looks weird. The best looking watches have been the ones where the designers were okay with it looking like a smartwatch like the Moto 360s, original Huawei, a couple of the ZenWatches. I can only assume I am strange and most people don't agree with this since this is the exact opposite of what the market is offering.

Also stop putting second tick numbers on the bezels, urgh.

I preordered the Ticwatch thing as they were really cheap but cancelled it in the end. Seems like Wear is going nowhere fast and Google don't care.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 7, 2017

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The two hands-on I read today said isn't actually running Android Wear but some custom thing instead. I'm confused.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone tried a Misfit Vapor? I'm very tempted at £185.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think such a watch exists. Everything is either huge or ugly or lacks NFC.

The Movado Connect has a pretty nice design and NFC but I would say it is far too expensive.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I've had it for a month or so now. It's good. I like it. Check the post history.
Thanks, I had a look back. Can you comment on the battery life? If it's better than a Moto 360 v1 then I'm probably sold. I know you said it wasn't great initially, how has it been since? I'm also not sure how many hours that was giving you.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 12, 2017

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I stopped using the Misfit tracking app altogether because it doesn't really suit my needs, and I think that helped significantly. I also never turned on "Ok Google" detection, which I only mention because I saw a post on Reddit suggesting that turning it off increases overall performance, which I'm gonna confirm I guess because the watch runs way smoother than my Huawatch2 *ever* did. Yesterday I worked a 10hr day and went to the gym after and got home with ~50% battery. I went ahead and turned "screen always on" back on cause gently caress being weird about battery life. One of the Misfit digital faces is really mellow and doesn't draw a lot of power I guess so anyways that's a long rear end way to say "yes, good, do the thing"
Sounds absolutely fine for me. I don't need any of the fitness stuff. Thanks!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

One last Vapor question since I'm sure I'll end up with one at some point: It does have an ambient light sensor, right?
I checked this too and found this Reddit thread which suggests that it does (see image in comments), and various articles from earlier in the year list it in the specs too. So hopefully that's correct.

Edit: Just noticed that thread references (but doesn't link to) a Tweet from early November. I found that Tweet here:

https://twitter.com/Misfit/status/926497450734612482

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 15, 2017

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also Android Pay on Wear is kind of garbage because Wear doesn't have that concept of your phone keeping your watch unlocked therefore you have to enter a code or pattern or something before you can use it to make a payment.

I spent a year waiting for a non-huge non-ugly watch with NFC. In the end I gave up worrying about NFC and bought a Vapor. Nobody is interested in making that kind of watch.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

How different is it from the 2nd gen one? I like the 2nd gen dock pretty well.
Close to identical. And yeah, those chargers were great.

The Misfit Vapor has stupid pogo pins with a rubbish magnet and the charger is so light the ribbon cable will cause it to move and then the watch will lose connection. It actually lives on top of my Pixel C because the magnet on that holds it in place.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I realised recently that I haven't been getting notifications on my watch for useful stuff like Hangouts for a while now. Do I have to do something to enable that? It used to just work. I only seem to get weird poo poo like Twitter notifications.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I'm still getting Hangouts notifications. I know this doesn't help you except to let you know that it's not intended behavior. As lovely as it is to do, you might have to reset the watch and start from scratch. I've found that Wear just needs that done from time to time.
I checked the Android Wear app and it had Hangouts, Whatsapp and a couple of other apps set to disabled notifications. I have no clue why, there's no way I added these myself. Not worn the watch today to check if this has fixed it but I imagine that was the cause. Odd though.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got it on my Misfit Vapor, fixes the stupid watchface changer that I'd trigger by accident at least once a day. Notifications look a bit nicer. Better use of colour in general. But yeah it's largely the same as before.

Battery life yesterday was awful but today it seems better.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

That's what I've been thinking of replacing my 360/2 with. Is it worth it?
I came from an OG 360 which was absolutely worth it but I'm not sure for the v2. If I had to describe the device in one word it would be "fine". Performance is fine but not perfect and it still janks sometimes or lags a little when it first wakes up. Battery life is fine but realistically it's a day without disabling features. It certainly lacks features but they're all things I don't care about. NFC payments would sometimes be useful but WesrOS's implementation doesn't seem very good so meh. I don't need GPS or fitness tracking stuff. I just want the time on a watchface I can customise a bit, and notifications from my phone.

Basically it was under £200 which means it was disposable income for me so I got two for my girlfriend and me for Christmas as she's a) a terrible nerd and b) loves it when we having matching stuff.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Yeah I knew your use case matched mine which is why I asked. I just want notifications for the most part. How's the ring for scrolling? I could see it either being great or totally useless. Is the build quality and finish holding up? How's the charge cable? I know it's not the sweet standup dealie I have but I'll probably just keep my old one always on the charger for use as a desk clock.
I don't really use the ring. It does work okay but it's not perfect and I honestly just forget that it's even a thing. The charger is finicky, the plastic puck weighs nothing so the cable will drag it around and the connection with the watch is not very secure. If you stick the charger down (you can either bluetac it to a surface or it does contains enough metal to stick to a magnet) it's generally fine but a couple of times I've woken up to a dead watch and my girlfriend's is the same so this seems to just be a design issue with the charger. The 360 (both versions) had a much better thing going on with the charger design. Build quality seems fine to me, not scratches or marks on it, I don't bash it around but don't go out of my way to be extra careful either. I have the black/silver version. I've not seen the metal straps so don't know how they are.

Basically the whole thing is "fine but not great".

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I like the misfit vapor I got last year, but the black paint marks up too easily (anodizing would be so much better) and it's slightly too small for my wrist, I really need a 46mm watch, 44mm it's just a touch small.

They do have the Vapor 2 in 46mm now. I'm hoping that goes on similar firesale this year and I'll get the stainless steel one to retire my Moto 360 v2 with dodgy battery.
For what it's worth my girlfriend and I both have silver OG Vapors and they've not scratched up at all.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Misfit Vapor is so fairly plain so works okay with formal wear. Maybe get a metal or leather strap. Though Misfit's own leather straps are a bit cheap feeling.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

What's funny is after my Vapor rant, it seems to be completely fine today.
I ordered two Vapors in the same order direct from Misfit in Dec 2017 and one started doing that screen flickering thing in December just gone. It would sometimes boot up okay and work but about two thirds of the time it just immediately flickered and bootlooped every two seconds. And when it did boot it would sometimes randomly start flickering later and then reboot and bootloop. There was no way out of the bootloop except leaving it to figure itself out. After about five minutes it would usually turn itself off.

In Europe, at least, it has a two year warranty so I just sent it back to Misfit. They did "software diagnostics" and returned it to me and it still did it. I assume they got lucky, hit a working boot, and sent it back. I returned it again and they're now sending me a replacement watch so we'll see how well that works. Bonus if it has a new battery.

While all this was happening, the second watch started doing exactly the same thing, so now I need to send that back as well. It started off doing it occasionally but after a few weeks now won't boot at all. So it's clearly an endemic problem. Be prepared for your watch to die soon.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

One thing the first gen Vapors had that were unique to them is the ring around the screen for scrolling. AFAIK that's the only implementation of it and it's not in the second generation.
Not quite, the Fossil Q Control had this as well. The two watches are, as far as I'm aware, 100% identical except for the shell.

Also it doesn't work that well. The hardware is fine but WearOS doesn't make very good use of it.