Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CaptainN posted:

Do you reckon we're likely to see new watch(es) announced during any of today's events?

The tech press seems to be insisting that the next 360 announcement is imminent. If the flat tire is gone I'm really interested in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AlexF posted:

Oh man, that's pretty much the end for the 360 already. This thing's on the market for less than a year and they can't even make updates work smoothly anymore. Not that it ever did. I like mine and still wouldn't wear any other Wear piece right now, but all in all it's a lovely situation.

Considering it's using a chip from 2010 I'd say them getting it midway through 2015 isn't too bad. :v:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I know it's ridiculous to ask in here but where is the next Moto 360? Everyone was sure it was imminent pre-I/O and now nothing. Considering it's passed the certification boards and the old stock has been discounted to nothing you'd think there'd at least be a presser announcement. :smith:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

Since my 360 is out for repair I started to notice how nice a wristwatch is. I don't want to pull out my phone just to check the time dammit!

Something that was common knowledge in 1990 has been rediscovered! This is like how the cure for scurvy was known in the eighteenth century and lost in the nineteenth only to be learned again in the twentieth.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Is there a way to save a short message to send from your watch? Like, you know the short text message templates your watch suggests ("Any news?", "Congratulations!" etc etc), well can I write my own and save it for later use?

You can in the app itself, but as I don't have a watch I don't know if that comes over.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I wasn't not expecting it. It passed the Bluetooth certification in early May and the images were purposefully leaked from Lenovo around the same time. Given that it's almost August, a quarter of a year later, I think it's fair to wonder why there hasn't been any kind of announcement, leak, or anything at all. Further, they've been in fire-sale mode on the 360 for just about as long. It's not like a conference today means they had to start selling today but realistically if a product's on-track I don't think you'd see so long a period of silence because, as noted above, everyone knows about it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The next 360 seen at the FCC. It can't be long now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

I never understood the anger about the flat tire. While I no longer have a 360, when I did it was an absolute non issue. All these geeks online returning their 360 then blasting the new one because of that little flat portion are a unique bunch.

It looks so awful.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

It looks bad until you wear one every day and then you never even notice or care at all.

Plus the light sensor is good.

Oh I'm going to buy the new one, flat tire or not. I just wish it weren't there.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I like it and I'm definitely getting one.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

CNET rumoring that there will be a variety of Wear devices shown at IFA next week:

http://www.cnet.com/news/next-wave-of-android-wear-smartwatches-set-to-make-their-debut/

That's been the rumored announce date for the Moto 360 2 for a while. The current rumor for its actual launch is September 8th.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

The Amazon listing has been taken down. I guess that wasn't supposed to go up until closer to 9/2.

Before it disappeared, a stainless steel with stainless steel link band color option was spotted halfway between the stainless steel with leather strap and black stainless steel price points.

I like the stainless steel link band. Really the only thing that scares me on the Huawei watch is a lack of Qi which just seems way more reliable over time than pogo pins are going to be.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vagrancy posted:

Any reliability issues would happen on the charger side (which can easily be replaced, with or without warranty), not the watch side. Qi only has its own downside compared to other watches: no access to ADB sideload (which is totally a thing a watch needs). Though I guess nothing stops Motorola selling an official cable to the hidden pogo pins underneath the strap to consumers one day, instead of keeping it to themselves.

How do you know it's on the charger end? I'm genuinely curious as my old Logitech Harmony ended up refusing to charge on its pogo-pinned cradle and as far as I could tell both ends looked fine, it just stopped working. Do the other watches that have proprietary charger problems (was it the LGs? I wasn't paying attention too closely) use a similar connector?

Looking at the bezel size on the 360/2 versus the Huawei, I really can't see a difference in thinness that makes the flat tire an acceptable compromise, especially when the model of Huawei I would want is only going to be $400.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

You've posted it before, but would you mind posting again which one you have?

My work just bought me this Sony one. It's not bad but then it was free to me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It's this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8HG8YW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Looks like the current model is updated and slightly different than when I bought, I think mine is only 3000 mAh.

That's baller as gently caress. I love that you can both charge it wirelessly and charge wirelessly with it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

The I am kind of bummed that the Huawei watch doesn't have qi charging. It's like the one thing preventing me from buying it.

Now that I think about it, isn't the 360 is the only android wear currently released to support qi charging? I'm figuring the gen 2 360s will also have it, but are there any other android wearables in the near future that'll support it?

I haven't heard of any and that's was my main concern. Now that I'm seeing so many pictures of it though I really don't like how dished the bezel is against the screen. It's not as tacky as the Urbane but it's not a whole lot better either. I also don't like that it lacks an ambient light sensor.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

So all you Wear experts: Is the 360/2 $250 better than the 360?

I'm having a really hard time convincing myself it is.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

We don't know because the critical things that are wrong with the OG are software/usage issues: performance and battery life. I can only imagine that the performance issues are entirely fixed since it's using the S400, and this should also resolve the battery issues. I mean, it looks basically the same so there just isn't really much else to compare them on. I guess the button is in a better place but I'm not sure that I'd pay anything for that. Maybe the screen is better on the new one but the screen on the original is just fine. What else is there?

I own a 360 and unless there is some unexpected disaster in the reviews or the UK pricing ends up being stupid I'm upgrading to the new one. For me the performance/battery issues make it worth getting the new one, as long as those are properly resolved. But I bought it to mess around with some dev stuff and always knew that it had its flaws and that I'd most likely want to replace it after a year so I'm not a typical user.

Yeah but I trust you so I'll get the new one.

e: Or maybe I will. I tried to order from the Motomaker site and at first it said there was a problem with the card (there wasn't) and then it said some items in my cart were no longer available. I'll try later on I guess, since the version I want isn't in the Google store.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 3, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

Basically "pay $50 to have the flat tire removed."

I can understand why it may be a bit more difficult for those who actually have access to motomaker in their country, or really really love qi charging, but otherwise...

I dislike AMOLED, proprietary chargers, and lack of ambient light sensors. Plus as they were the same price how I would've configured them so to me the 360/2 was just preferable.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

I definitely wouldn't mind a light sensor but surely they can do it with a full circle? Can't they stick it through a hole on the side?

I just put my watch in theatre mode in the car at night, etc, would rather do that and have a full circle.

I won't deny that I'd rather have a protrusion with the sensor and a full circle than the flat tire but I'd 100% prefer having one to not having one. Doesn't Apple put theirs behind the screen?

Tunga posted:

To be fair, every report I've seen says that the Huatch screen is nicer than the new 360's. Brighter, higher resolution, and sapphire glass. AMOLED also has potential battery life benefits.

Nitrousoxide posted:

amoled is a lot nicer at night since only a handful of pixels are lit up to show the time. It's a lot less bothersome to you and people around you than the backlight you get with an LCD.

Not that all of this isn't true but I really don't like predominantly black themes in anything, I'm certain I'll be using a white or near-white clockface.

I'm not saying the 360/2 is the perfect Android Wear device or even my perfect Android Wear device, it's just the one I like best. Even minor things like the way the screen bezel is dished on the Huawei versus convex on the 360/2 or the additional area between the bezel and the lugs on the Huawei just aren't aesthetically pleasing to me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Stopped by Best Buy today and saw they did have a few of the 2nd gen 360s in the case, 4 total and all were 42mm. Two of them were men's all black and two were the rose gold women's.

If they would have had any of the 46mm silver, I would have snapped one up.

I just got an email from Motorola apologizing for being late on my 46mm silver on MotoMaker so it's likely supply issues.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Got to check out the new 360 models at best buy yesterday. They had two 42mm (one men's and one women's) on display and two of the 46mm on display (one sliver with the brown leather band and one black with the metal band.) They only have the 42mm black (with black leather band) and 42mm women's gold for sale right now.

42mm is definitely too small for my wrist, so I'll have to wait for the 46mm to come in stock. It really does feel a lot more like jewelry than the last gen, display is much nicer and it is quite a bit snappier. In all, I think I'm certainly going to upgrade as soon as I can order a 46mm. One thing that gave me pause is one of the models they had on display already had an LCD defect of two reddish spots. Of course, that defect may be why it was slotted as a display model in the first place rather than sold. But I'm not too worried about it since moto support has been great.

My 46mm came in just a couple hours ago. I thought it'd be laughably huge but it feels nice.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

What colour combo did you go for?

My biggest concern with upgrading form the OG 360 is that the ambient mode looks really ugly on the new one. Can anyone who has owned both comment on this?

Silver, unadorned bezel/body, metal link bracelet.

The is the ambient mode of the face I'm using. It looks blue in the photo but I can assure you it's solid white on black.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kept the new 46mm 360 off the charger from 9:30pm until 4:00pm and had 31% left with ambient display on. I have to say that's way better than I expected. This is a great little device.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This might seem like a dumb question but where is there a good source of watch faces? I discovered the Moto Connect app which allowed me to make the (very) simple face that I'm kind of happy with but what I'd really like a gallery that isn't filled with wall to wall poo poo to search through. All I really want is the Elegance grey fade to black background so I can put it in Moto Connect but I have no idea how to make that myself and searching for a gradient image on GIS came up with the worst banded compressed JPGs ever.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

What desktop OS are you using? You can trivially makes a gradiented square in ten seconds with Paint.NET (Windows). And I guess GIMP or something for Mac. Or give me two RGB values or whatever and I'll make it for you.

As for the watchface question, Google hasn't done a very good job for this. I can recommend Minimal & Elegant, Pujie Black and Timr Face as some well made faces, and the first two are very customisable.

I'm on Mac but I'll admit to knowing next to nothing about how pictures work. I'm in the middle of nowhere stealing WiFi at the moment but when i get to civilization again I'll see if I can't figure out how to give you those values.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Just tell me what percentage greys you want from this and which compass point each is at.

(Aside: Googling "grey shades" to find this gave me a lot of results about a certain film.)

40% at north to totally black at south. From Googling it seems the display is 360x360, but obviously the flat tire accounts for some percentage of the totality of the circle so maybe it doesn't have to be TOTALLY totally black at the bottom? I'm sorry, I know I lack the language to properly express this. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

torgeaux posted:

i am having serious battery issues with my 360 second gen. The most i've gotten is ~12 hours. Is it the twitter notifications that are killing it?

That seems crazy to me. My 46mm gets a reproducible 24 hours per charge, ambient on.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, here at 7pm I'm sitting at 70% battery left with ambient on.

Today I was out from 11am until 8pm with frequent use. Had 72% left.

I really expected much worse performance than this.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Always on screen or not? I'd be down to ~40-50% after that long on mine.

Mine seems to drain about 5% an hour with the screen on.

Screen is always on.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've had two random people ask me about my 2nd gen Moto 360 and both seemed to know what it was and asked how I liked it. I'm guessing neither see a lot of smartwatches of any kind because both said something along the lines of it looking way "more normal" than they assumed it would.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KillHour posted:

Oh come on, they had to have known about the issue. There's no way they shipped not knowing cellular data didn't work at all.

Do you not remember the LG G2x?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've always wondered why Timely didn't have Wear integration and now I'm glad it doesn't.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

xlevus posted:

It's loving huge... And still has a flat tyre :psyduck:

At least they did something even Motorola refuses to do and designed a watchface that accounts for it. I don't like the flat tire at all, I hate it, but I will concede that I'd like the Moto 360 (v2 in my case) much MUCH less if the screen weren't raised rather than inset compared to the bezel. And so, if you're going to make such a concession to aesthetics with regards to that design, why in the gently caress are all of the included watchfaces designed in such a way that the flat tire cuts off elements at the bottom? I understand why third party faces don't account for it after all there are fully round screens available on other watches, but why are the included Motorola ones such that they cut the six off or have the tick marks gracelessly truncated instead of designed to incorporate the flat tire?

I wish that I had a modicum of skill at imagemaking just so I could design a watchface that looks good AND actively accounts for the shape of the screen rather than just pretending it's round and having it look like a mistake.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I agree with all of this post. The best one I've found is Minimal & Elegant so I generally run with that. I also sometimes use Pujie Black set up such that there are no elements cut off, if I want my watch to look a little more traditional for some occasion.

I'd looked at both of these and I really like Minimal & Elegant's style but I don't like using digital watches and I bought and use Pujie Black on your recommendation but the one thing I disliked* was the way notifications in Ambient mode are transparent so I went back to the Motorola choose your own background one. I figured out how to make a gradient so it's light grey on top and fades to black at the bottom (just like the dark Moto Elegant face) which looks exactly how I wanted it to look. Truth be told I'd rather have a white face but I can't make pictures good enough to make what I'm envisioning.

*The other thing was the watch hands were just... bad.

Magog posted:

Agreedo, LastInLine. That's why on my 360 v1 the only original watchface I ever use is the Digital face (although even then when the seconds hand is at the bottom it still gets cut off :( but there's almost always a notification there anyway so I can live with that)

Using the Pujie Black watchface Tunga recommended the nice thing was you can just make the radius of elements (hands, ticks, numbers) that you don't want cut off to .82 and they're positioned just above the flat tire. There's no way to specify that you just want that at the bottom, however (for things like, say, quarter ticks. Five minute ticks are not cut off anyway.)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Also, for the watches with QI charging, can I use QI pads I've already got? I know the Motos are probably oddly enough shaped they won't lie flat, but it looks like the Founder might.

For the second-gen 360 you can't use a Tylt Vu as the strap mounts bend in enough that it won't lie flat on the surface. That said, the included charger is so great because it holds the watch upright so it can be used as a night clock. I just plop it down and that's it, no fidgeting at all.

I'll have to admit that I love my 360 so much more than I thought I would. I think the raised glass looks much better than the dished bezel on every other round watch and it doesn't feel oversized or out of place at all on my normal (not fat, not muscular) wrists (this is the 46mm version).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

My major gripe about my gen1 360 is that I can't just get rid of a notification on my watch yet keep it on my phone - something I can easily do with my pebble.

Anrdoid wear seems to have a NOW OR NEVER mentality. Or am I doing it wrong? I know I can swipe cards down to hide them, but this gets really cluttered and I often miss more important notifications because of it.

That, and of course it perpetually disconnects from my phone.

People who leave notifications sitting in the tray are monsters.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

My 2015 Moto 360 just got bumped to 6.0.1. Is there anything new and exciting about marshmallow? I mean, I can now disconnect my watch from a phone without wiping it and the permissions handling is more detailed but that seems so be pretty much it.

Doze mode.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I guess I don't understand the way the wifi works . I have a constant message I'm disconnected from the phone when I'm not close enough for Bluetooth range. But randomly it will connect and grab some notifications even though I'm around 50 meters away from the phone and this being with the phone in a locker.

The other issue is twice now I have glanced down and the watch is completely off and won't turn on unless I put it on the charger. It's a moto sport so I have had it about a month.

If your phone and watch are on the same WiFi network then Bluetooth isn't used. If your phone doesn't have WiFi always on in the settings what's probably happening is the phone is going idle and therefore dropping off the network disconnecting the watch. When it occasionally reconnects via Bluetooth, you get a notification.

This has to be murder on both batteries.

----------------------------------------

Edit:

One thing I *just* noticed is different on my Moto 360/2 that I haven't seen anyone mention: Ambient Mode is way different. Before it was a point of contention in that it disabled anti-aliasing and thus had a lot of jaggies. This didn't bother me. Now it definitely has at least some anti-aliasing (the watch hands are not rough anymore) but the notification card text looks worse. The text appears to not have anti-aliasing applied as the line thickness varies but what I think is causing it is that the card is now transparent when using a Moto watchface. This is the main reason I stopped using Pujie Black. I really preferred the card face in Ambient Mode being opaque (actually I wish the card in non-Ambient Mode were opaque). I might contact the Pujie Black developer and ask if they can add an option for an opaque Ambient card.

Either way it's obvious Ambient Mode's aliasing and limitations, which I think turned off Tunga to the device, has been changed and likely for the better. It's certainly not jaggy anymore though I have yet to experiment to see if it can do colors.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Either way it's obvious Ambient Mode's aliasing and limitations, which I think turned off Tunga to the device, has been changed and likely for the better. It's certainly not jaggy anymore though I have yet to experiment to see if it can do colors.

I've confirmed that Ambient Mode now has anti-aliasing enabled and colors now work though I don't know the range of the palette.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I was hoping you were right but wifi always on is toggled on. Funny because I'm getting poo poo battery life on my Nexus 6 since I started using my watch . Like being at 15-20% battery life after only unplugging 5 hours earlier, screen on time being 2 hours. I should probably try a factory reset of the phone since I haven't done that ever and starting fresh

Why don't you carry your phone with you? I have a three year old battery in my Nexus 5 so battery life on my device isn't the greatest but Wear has made no difference whatsoever on my phone. Something's weird about your usage or your setup.