Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Theta Zero posted:

They actually seem to intentionally do that, they have a really unique low-crawling animation whenever they're around a bunch of other enemies.

It's one of those things that sounds cool, and looks cool, but then you just find it more annoying than anything the 10th time you find yourself unable to move because a crawler is sitting there at your ankles, while to your side you can see a bloat teleporting 20 feet vertically because NPC's can just bypass entire stairwells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Broose posted:

And it should always be mentioned how ankle high obstacles and untraversable when mentioning enemy rail jumping. A good example of this is the height of the railings next to the plants at the lobby entrance of Biotics Lab. If you are in the plants, you can't just walk on the railing even though it isn't as high as a stair. Just blocks you in like a wall.

Well, 90% of the time I mention one of those I mention the other, yeah. I've lost track of how often I've bounced off a railing I was right next to trying to jump DOWN from a place, when enemies have little trouble warping their way up from below (which leads to why I wanted to flee in the first place). Railings that the player CAN make it over with a jump, but so often hates to let me.

Having the high ground is useless so often, because it will not slow the enemy down at all. Like some of those tiny stairwells in the snow map. You run your rear end up those stairs, turn around to get some easy shots while they are busy with it, maybe throw a grenade at the choice clustering of enemies... Oh they are just skipping the second half of the stairwell entirely welp. I guess I'll just jump back down over this tiny railing... I guess I'll... gently caress. Okay THIRD try I'm over. Another standout is that little ledge outside by some stairs that frequently spawns an ammo pickup. "okay, I'll grab this ammo and then... Oh they are all warping their way up the ledge that is as tall as they are :sigh:".

They make it up that ledge to chase me faster than they can fall down the other side when I jump and take 20 damage hitting the ground. Because falling it slower (and easier to headshoot them as they fall) than their ability to warp upwards works. I feel safer when the enemy has the high ground over me because then they are restricted by the same limitations I am in how fast I can expect them to reach me.

EDIT: I have no idea why I am so loving obsessive over this odd quirk. But for whatever reason, it just bugs me more than anything else.

Martout posted:

They may be fat but they have WORKED those calves.

Perhaps their fat jiggles so hard, the inertia carries them upwards?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 27, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Frivolous zerker weapon wishes from a guy who doesn't know how this whole "parry" or "common sense" thing works and who's berserker isn't even level 4 yet.

Lawnmower man: Jealous of that Commando getting a +40% damage perk to his tacticool knife (and pistol) talent? Well now you can too! As well as a +Whatever% speed upgrade to the lawnmower blade instead of a pistol buff!

Nailgun nail bash: Melee bash pistol whips with the barrel, and fires off a single nail on impact.

Severed Gorefast arm: Berserker's can press Use to pick up severed gorefast arms, which break after a few hits but deal a lot of damage. Alt fire is a 360 spin attack.

Fake Edit: Seriously though, replace one of the Berserker's Level 5 garbage perks with an equivalent to the commando's "Backup" perk.

Real Edit: Is there some secret practical benefit to the "uppercut" melee motion you get from walking backwards when you swing? Outside of fun with ragdoll physics on kill anyway.

EDIT Two:

BEHOLD! The power of the lawnmower blade!

I tagged that fresh scrake with the M1 slash, sure he didn't die but he learned to respect that lawnmower blade... I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact he was on a staircase at the time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 27, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Require More Fire posted:

Any time I've seen a team be able to focus all their attention/firepower on one or two Scrakes or FPs, the target has gone down really loving fast. The problem usually comes in the form of 3+ Scrakes/FPs PLUS trash mobs. Which really seems about right; clear out the trash and then focus on the big fuckers.

Like clockwork, if I notice a siren (or two), that will be when a pair of fleshpounds decide to stand directly in front of them, even on Normal.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Knifegrab posted:

I think if they gave medics a context sensitive button press (E) for allies to quick heal them similar to how we can quick heal ourselves, I would use the syringe more often. Also don't let darts stack and make them heal less, so they are constant ways to "top off" allies but not good to use when they NEED HEALTH NOW.

You are gonna walk through that gas cloud with your needle out to heal people? You are kind man.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Pubbie medics, doing what their part in body blocking you so you can't escape hans's grenades.

"Oh my god I can't belive I made it out of that with 2 health and could needle myself... well maybe that was a fluke... Wait did he just turn his back on hans with full health and armor to run... wait did he run past me in this narrow hallway... Oh poo poo grenades well at least the door is right the-why can't I move :supaburn:"

I've noticed things tend to fall apart when people scatter for some mysterious unstated reason. Things are going well, nobody is low on health, everybody has darted the latest drain victim. Then suddenly people start running off and of course Hans starts picking people off one by one like a slasher monster. Not even split up by gas or grenades or trash or anything, just turning 180 and sprinting off while they have full health and a good chunk of armor while people are still fighting hans.

EDIT: I considered they were maybe looking for ammo, but this happens even in the mid phases while my casual rear end still has so many bullets I do not know what to do with them. Then again I tend to use my "backup" guns for the first two grabs at least, so maybe pubbies are go T4 or Go Home for all phases?

I am glad somebody mentioned that the AK is really cool, because it is. I guess my expectations of T3 guns were skewed because of the combat shotgun.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 28, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Libertine posted:

How do people run out of ammo fighting Hans? That seems impossible for me to even conceive.

Is it from blasting him with full clips during his damage reduction phase?

I could imagine running down on ammo if you used NOTHING but your T4 gun the entire time, even if you didn't shoot him during his grabby phase.

So I can imagine, when I see the last two survivors are medics and they are backpeddaling away from Hans shooting him with their Pistols, that they have that mindset on top of unloading during his resistant phase.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 28, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ruggington posted:

Making yourself fly around with the boomstick is both hilarious and pretty useful

Can it get you over railings you are technically supposed to be able to jump over but take 5 loving tries to do so?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I guess the blood ramp room gets a lot more mean when you are not playing normal :shobon: On baby mode while if you're an idiot who doesn't look behind you it can be bad, the waves are manageable enough because of them getting split up across so many doors reduces them to bite sized chunks instead of a death wall (of course, even on normal you get two FPs with two Sirens behing them coming out of the same door). I expect the bigger waves full of bigger enemies on higher difficulties turns that into a complete clusterfuck instead.

One of the times I've lived through Hans's defeat with pubbies was also in that room oddly enough, though of course my closest call was trying and failing to get over the railing three loving times.

Welding doors does feel like a complete waste of time except to temporarily delay weak trash. If you weld and stay, it will not last long and reinforcing is a waste due to door health. If you weld and run, the Zeds will just teleport so all you accomplished is a locked door blocking you left behind if you need to go back other way in a hurry...

Or they can just teleport behind you AS YOU ARE WELDING THE loving DOOR. "There, I made it outside. I see those husks and crawlers down the hall. Shut door, weld doo-I appear to be on fire... Oh, they husks are now entering the map from the top of a wall to my left and taking shots at me while standing on it." I haven't touched my welder since then except to unweld doors people shut and seal on me when they are looking right at me 2 feet short of the door.

On the other hand, if you are down to one or two zeds at the end of a wave and are all done scrounging, full health, armor, and ammo, it's like they will never teleport closer to you.

Saint Freak posted:

When someone says they're low on ammo, one of the woman's responses is "Well you should have brought more :geno:"

On the other hand, when you health needle her she asks if you got any more.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 28, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Painful Newbie lessons. If you shoot the heads of four gorefasts in zed time while trying to escape, sometimes they all decide to remain standing and flailing their arm forming an impenetrable wall for the next five seconds it takes you die as the rest of the horde catch up :doh:

EDIT: Trying to melee bashing my way through the decapitated bodies didn't amount to much either :v: What I get for being a commando instead of mister boomstick.

Teleport edit: "Last clot is two feet behind me. Run inside this french building, run up the short stairs right next to the door and-oh look he's already at the top of the stairs waiting for me :allears:"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 28, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Revolver Bunker posted:

That should go in the OP. I tried setting mine to 50 last night and while it was playable my computer definitely was chugging while I waded through piles of bodies.

I finally found time to play the game after the closed beta. Still fun but I miss my +10 level medic. Starting off at zero again reminds me of how not tanky I am.

Had an interesting game last night where a couple of pubbies were talking about signing a petition to have Tripwire not do stat resets. And another game afterwards where a level 22 medic ran off on his own every time and never healed anyone. Had the sole job of keeping a commando and support alive while also taking out the scrakes and fleshpounds. The one saving grace was that I had a great :black101: moment where the commando had aggro'd a fleshpound and was running for the hallways in Biotech. I followed to keep him healed and he got stuck in a corner by the FP. Threw down a heal nade and as I turned around another FP was in my face as well as a Scrake. Queue me throwing another heal nade down and proceeding to empty all my medic shotgun ammo and half my smg ammo taking all three out. Commando lived through it all too.

This sort of thing reminds me that in the end, Level means nothing but time, not skill. (A fact I find myself face with personally at times :downs:) Good on you for being a helpful badass.

Bring on the EA and launch stat resets. Particularly because I can see it giving more incentive to try new classes, instead of ignoring firebug or SWAT when it comes out because people who make me look like a pro at this game by comparison will stick with their level 25 medic and never heal anyone but themselves.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I still think taking the Commando's backup perk and giving something like it to the Berzerker as a replacement for either lovely level 5 talent would be cool.

That lawnmower blade might actually see some use ever then. Maybe. Okay even +40% damage to the lawnmower blade wouldn't be enough to use it over any other Zerker melee, particularly as the levels go up...

I just feel like it's such a waste that the melee perk has so little reason to use it's basic melee weapon, you know?

EDIT: Done in by my inability to walk past a single decapitated enemy blocking a doorway again :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 29, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Normal mode, Knife is okay for straggler clots and Cysts you do not feel deserve even a 9mm bullet. Though more likely you will miss out on any exp as somebody pops their skull off from halfway across the room.

Hard mode, it takes three (sometimes 4?) knife M1s to the skull to kill a CYST (The first two are BARELY too little to kill it, according to Commando lifebar view). I just hit level 10 commando, and with the backup skill it still takes two 9MM headshots to kill a clot in Hard, just like it does without it. I coulda sworn it took 3 knife M1's to the skull but once I unlocked commando it's been taking 4 each time (Do overhands deal more damage than horizontals?)

I was actually looking forward to the Backup skill, since at least it sounded like it could be fun at lower difficulties like normal, or Hard if you wanted to get back one shotting clot skulls with your 9mm. But no, even in Hard solo, the Backup skill isn't enough to do it.

How does this work? 9mm is 15 damage, so does the Knife M1. A medic using their 20 damage T1 still oneshot a clot skull on hard. I have a very shaky grasp of Maths, but isn't 40% of 15 at least 5? Nevermind the Commando having a global +10% damage bonus by level 10?

EDIT: It's not like the trader pod lists a higher damage on your 9mm or Knife either for some hard comparisons. Alt slash on Hard solo will oneshot a clot/slasher/etc in the head, but it did that without Backup.

Unrelated teleport chat. I caught a zed in the act as I rounded the corner to enter a door, and I literally saw them blink into existence two feet in front of me :sigh:

Psion posted:

:siren: warning: bullshit :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rxsj2NH_S4

We were playing on Hard, not HOE. :(

It's funny because it's happening to somebody else in that video.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 29, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Combat Shotgun is laughably heavy, so it should definitely weigh less. There are two 8 weight weapons in the game, the combat shotgun and the FLAMETHROWER. The only things heavier are the 10 weight Evicerator and the king of shotguns itself, AA12.

Even if it weighed as much as the stock shotty, it wouldn't be worth the price of admission. Don't make it reload slower than the stock shotgun. Make it the most damaging shotgun per shell by a clear margin, then we're talking. Still could not beat full auto magdumping with the AA12, but then you'd still have a reason to find it desirable compared the the AA12 or the Boomstick "I fired both barrels and every bit of trash within 20 feet died" Instead of saying "gently caress you, I'm taking the Boomstick, AA12, and a medic pistol. That's better AND costs less!"

If it was actually good all around, then 6 weight would be just fine if you still wanted to prevent people from bringing it alongside the AA12 without the weight+ talent. I am still convinced the only reason the Combat Shotgun weighs so much is so that "We don't want them to be able to carry the T3 and T4 shotguns at the same time without the weight+ talent" Even then, you wouldn't be able to bring anything else but a medic pistol.

EDIT: vv I'm probably thinking of the KF1 combat shotgun again, on the slower reload front. At least by the listed in game numbers, the Combat shotgun does more damage than pump instead of exactly the same now. But that's still not good enough to justify 8 weight and 1,100 dosh. Last I looked in game, the shop lists "25 damage" for the Boomstick, combat, and AA12. The Boomstick and AA12 are both well worth the money all by themselves.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 30, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Insert name here posted:

Uhh it's made for hunting Zeds, duh

I'm sure somebody at Horzine has lovingly tweaked the spread on the Boomstick spread to be just wide enough to barely scrape the walls of a standard issue Horzine lab hallway. No more, no less :allears:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I think the lack of a weapon that weighs 2 is pretty egregious at the moment. Maybe make the medic SMG weigh 2?

Insert name here posted:

Most of the 2 weight weapons in KF1 were pistols IIRC so uh, maybe when gunslinger comes out?

Commando has spoiled me with my ability to carry my T3(6), T4(6) and a medic SMG(3). So many bullets. 3 Weight for the Medic SMG seems generous already for what it is, already the lightest gun currently in the game that isn't a pistol. I would admit hating to see it become 4 Weight.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

You do get a 1% melee damage bonus per level, but it's not as useful as it sounds.

Yeah, along similar lines when I finally hit Level 10 commando, I thought that seemingly huge +40% damage to 9mm and knife from the Backup talent would make a difference. But it still takes two headshots with the 9mm to kill a clot on hard, same as before, on top of the 10% flat damage bonus just for being a level 10 commando. Even though a 20 damage medic with their Medic pistol can still one hit them.

I can only imaging trying to melee hit so many Zeds in the head up close, repeatedly, while they flail about and your swings all have different arcs and elevations (and they turn off crosshair in melee too, for that subconscious boost to your centering).

Percentile buffs in viddy games always seem like some kind of arcane witchcraft in their end results.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 30, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
On the subject of custom servers, are there people running bots on ranked stuff or is that built in?

A few times I'll end up in some random place like say, "Xplosive whatever" and I'll noticed the scoreboard has given two eternally silent players my Steam avatar for example. Last time this happened I hit rank 6, though let me keep that, and after the match the two mid game arrival clearly real players cleared out and so did I.

EDIT: vvv Gotcha, was wondering because there was also a tendency for it to be Level 0 people at match start in these cases, and only the people without the cloned avatars have ever talked back :downs: So I guess there was some confirmation bias like I was wondering. They weren't sitting AFK or anything, so I guess I've just had a lot of coincidental luck running into completely silent fresh starts.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Apr 30, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fina posted:

The enemy teleporting is really, really aggressive.

I played a solo game today. Last enemy was a Husk. I ran outside of the hotel to escape him shooting at me, he then walks out of the cafe across the street seconds later.

What the hell? Enemies can be out of sight for as little as a few seconds and then teleport ahead of you.

Husks are up there on the "So I noticed this bullshit teleport" scale due to them being the only enemy with an attack that has such long range, nevermind it lightning you on fire. Of my two most obvious bullshit teleports that stand out in my mind seen, one was a pair of Husks being the final enemies in the wave, backing out of a door, shutting it... and then getting my rear end lit on fire because oh look they are standing on top of the outer wall of the map and shooting down at me now :sigh:

The other standout was just a clot or something, but it stands out because I literally saw them appear out of thin air two feet in front of me. I guess the game was taking too long to have their "Teleport a zed as you round a corner" go smoothly.

Mildly related, how hard would it be to code husks to not attack while they are still standing on top of some unreachable wall or otherwise on the outer edges of the map before they even fully enter it? As a commando it's kind of annoying, but as a support or Zerker all you got to work with to stop them is a pistol when they decide that no, no, they are NOT going to come down and will just keep shooting at you from there until you break line of sight. This has seemed most frequent (or at least, I've happened to notice it most due to the pleasant lighting conditions and amount of such walls) in the Outpost.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 30, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FaustianQ posted:

Just started playing a bit, only at level 11 with Commando and holy gently caress this game is everything I've wanted it to be :allears: How do goons organize for sessions?

I'm stuck with a mental image of a Zerker flailing his weapon angrily at a Husk
"Get the gently caress down here!"
"No gently caress off, I'm not retarded"
"Fight me like a man Zed!"
"How does it feel getting kited rear end in a top hat?!"

I've actually seen a Husk try to run the away from me a few times. He never makes it but it's interesting to see.

If they made the Husks taunt you in game as they take shots from spawn ledges, I would be totally cool with it yes.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Even on lower difficulties, those guns do not gently caress around. If you're out in the open and he has time to fire a couple volleys at you, you're in serious trouble. Not sure how I feel about having no room for errors whatsoever, though.

Even on normal, pretty much all of my deaths to Hans have been suddenly going from 90 to dead in a single instant from him shooting at me.

I still need to get a handle on when his shots don't hurt as bad when you can't get to cover literally in less than one second. Because usually I'll take a quick chunk of managable damage, break off, heal, get back to the fighting while darting others. Then suddenly Hans will just decides "gently caress this, he dies instantly" and I'm left wondering what I could have done differently without just loving off and leaving the fight entirely before he even turns to face me, let alone starts shooting me.

I know it's not grenades doing the job in these cases. Sure I have died to grenades, but that's rare compared to the "BOOP, dead." moments

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ramsus posted:

You're right maybe your melee weapon can be a pacifier

Alt fire, throw it to shut up Sirens, bloats, and block a husk's gun like a bugs bunny cartoon.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

+
pipe bombs in kf1 would blow up as soon as the door they were on would break open as long as the bomb was on the other side of the door from the zeds and there was a sufficient amount of zeds to set it off. it was a really good tactic that i'd be sad to see gone.

Is it me, or does breaking open a door early with a grenade barely deal any damage to the zeds on the other side (BOOM... oh only one zed dies :geno:)? Or do support grenades below level 10 just not deal with that so well? Every time I've thrown a grenade at a door that was almost about to go down instead of waiting so it would explode AFTER it busts open, pretty much nothing dies.

Waiting for a door to open so your grenade will actually deal damage, but not waiting more than a second too long so they don't scatter outside of the AoE entirely for the most part. Even on normal it's rare to get that luxury without basically leaving the rest of your team to fend for yourselves against the other 20+ zeds that have spawned/teleported to enter from the opposite side of the room, just so you can get that sweet 100+ experience grenade multikill.

Considering you only have a vague estimate of how long a door will last integrity wise, you can only preemptively time this from the weld wearing out too. I'm not saying I want some easy set and forget proximity explosion, but right now tossing a grenade at doors in any way that matters means dropping everything to stare at the door. Unless I'm just the worlds most unlucky man and grenades normally kill poo poo just fine if they blow the doors open.

EDIT: PS give Berserker a talent that let's them goomba stomp crawlers, TIA.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 1, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It's good once you realize the medic grenade constantly applies that armor, yeah.

Though as amazingly effective the level 25 Medic popping up into the random normal server I was on was with that and generally murdering everything was? I'd figure don't go full :spergin: Because getting healed when you are at half health and there is a scrake, pound, or hans is grabbing you takes priority over free piecemeal armor bits.

Ruggington posted:

You can carry the AA-12 and the hunting shotgun with a medic pistol and you should because the AA-12 is literally the best weapon in the game

This is generally how my support ends up by the end, yeah. Though I still bust out my needle and jam it into the rear end of grab victims in for the first two grabs with my support, especially when nobody wants to heal the grab victim they just want to use that as free time to position themselves even when it's the medic getting grabbed.

I think the vast majority of my medic experience points are from healing medics. I like trying to help people stay alive during Hans, or topping up the medic and other people in a clusterfuck when I'm top shape, sure. But I just don't see myself going full medic because I like the bigger guns, and I just feel weird mix and matching perk weaponry outside of "Now that I have the two on perk guns I want and spare cash, I'll grab a medic gun".

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dogstile posted:

The smg is great because you can rapidly headshot entire groups of clots/crawlers with it. Its literally a trash clearer which I don't really see a problem with. If anything I don't like that the medic has weapons strong enough to tackle scrakes/fleshpounds and that it has more armour than a commando. If anything I think the medic should have weaker guns, faster running and 80 armour (that it still gets for free), support and commando get 100 armour and berserker gets more than 100 armour.

That way the medic is forced to rely on being support, rather than the current thing of the medic being the tankiest unit, that has a huge damage output while also being able to keep everyone else going. A full team of medics has almost no drawbacks aside from being hosed if they can't afford their shotties before the first big guys appear.

I remember in a dev video that they said the medic wasn't combat trained, so making it squishier would make it feel that way.

SMG heals better than the pistol too. Though from a "I'm spending my dosh efficiently!" standpoint I can understand skipping it considering your T3 medic shotgun is pretty cool (and heals even betterererer) and means no selling back your SMG later. You can carry Pistol+Shotgun+Assault.

As for Medic guns being "too good", I don't really get this. They are nice as well as being able to heal but-

The SMG may be a 3 weight full auto gun, but it is 15 damage per bullet. Meaning it NEEDS it's great accuracy or it's basically garbage past Normal, because you know what else has 15 damage and can't kill clots in a single headshot in hard+? the 9mm. (Unless for mysterious viddy game reasons the SMG can one shot but the 9mm cant?).

The shotgun may be a 10 shot semi auto, but it's 20 damage making it tied with the pump action as weakest damage per shot. Plus Medic will lack the penetration bonus to let that shred large groups of trash, which makes that ammo go by a lot faster when you are not just magdumping into a single target.

Medic assault may have more ammo capacity than the SCAR, but it has 10 less damage per bullet and is full auto only. It even has a worse accuracy stat than the SCAR on top, and is a relatively hefty 7 weight.

The only reason I'd consider medic guns "Too good" is if you expect your Medic to be complete garbage and just sit back healing while letting everyone else handle anything more notable than trash. Everybody else's guns are better at being guns, Everybody else has scaling damage buffs, and only the Pistol and SMG have comparativly low weight... Well okay, the Medic shotgun is arguably better than the combat shotgun. But that's because gently caress the combat shotgun.

RE; Syringe chat. God I wish it was easier to stick people with them, or maybe it made you run faster with the syringe out? I've lost track of how often I've had pubbies with half health and no enemies around BACKPEDDALING AWAY FROM ME while I'm waving my syringe in their face just out of range and my guy is saying "Stand still so I can heal you".

Not that healing people when they aren't activly trying to evade you is any better. In a clusterfuck I've often uselessly jammed a guy with 99% health with the needlebecause they wedged themselves between me and the half dead guy I've been chasing around the past 5 seconds.

I wonder if this awkwardness is a factor in how unwilling pubbies are to try and heal the guy getting grabbed by Hans? "Hey guys, the MEDIC got grabbed when they were below 1/4 health, anybody else gonna help your medic stay alive? no?" I am so glad I managed to keep that level 1 medic barely alive the whole time that one match :unsmith:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ramsus posted:

3 decent level medics mean unlimited armor mode. Watched 3 take out a pack of sc/fp no problem.

Which part of medic armor spam has to do with the quality of their guns though? Would firing off that medic grenade and dart spam into some supports fighting the big zeds instead result in everybody dying?

I'm just talking strictly "How good is gun" here. I'm sure properly tricked out medics could ensure some Zerkers swinging Crovels would take out multiple scrakes and pounds, which is a whole other can of worms.

EDIT: I'm not debating how :staredog: watching Medics render people immortal in circumstances you would otherwise be completely hosed in is. I just don't think "Medic guns too good!" makes any sense unless you think they should just bounce off a scrake like nerf darts.

EDIT: vvv Two rifles+SMG is how my didn't gently caress up or come in late commando runs go, yes. SO MANY BULLETS

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 1, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

+8% recharge rate per level. At 22 that's 176% speed increase, not 3 times faster.

Well, +40% more than 15 should be over 20, but the 9mm still won't oneshot clot skulls like a 20 damage gun does on hard if you pick the Backup talent.

Video game math is always very mysterious. Even when not wondering if it is doing anything in the first place.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ramsus posted:

They should make the zerk grenade not do damage to yourself. Kind of sucks.

It's not too late for that pacifier you mentioned.

Admittedly a pacifier might be more effective.

Somebody sell me on this grenade that can barely kill clots on normal.

vvv Zeds still seem to move around just fine despite the glowy effect. Does it undo Scrake and FP rage temporarily or something I'm overlooking during a clusterfuck?

Ruggington posted:

as long as the electric effect is on them they can't rage
I'd find this more useful if it lasted longer, and wasn't such a bitch to lead on a Scrake or FP that's actively being kited. Still pretty niche if it's basically meant to, well, act as a pacifier for Scrakes and FPs.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 2, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Silly question for those of you who have Tactical reload unlocked already.

Do berserker weapons get alternate animations? Just sped up like Shotguns? Or nothing at all?

gnome7 posted:

The corpse physics in this game are basically perfect.

This is lovely.

EDIT: vvv :negative:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 2, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I am the loving worst at parrying things. I also have this wonderful habit of timing my melee bashes to the face or overhand swings juuust as a clot rears back for their grab animation, so I wiff where their head used to be and get grabbed :downs:

If they had noses, pretty sure I'd be breaking them with how close that miss feels.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Commando is one of those things I really like on Normal (NEVER gave it a chance in KF1, Thanks KF2 crosshair option!), but my rare stabs at hard give me the impression it will fall off in effectivness and ammo longevity pretty hard due to my lack of Terminator like precision in landing nothing but headshoots at all times on flailing scrakes, pounds, and hans.

This impression isn't helped by the fact that past normal, even with that +40% to Pistol/Knife Talent, the 9MM can't one shot a clot skull. Oh wow even if I aim perfectly I have to use literally twice the ammo on trash, when waves are also bigger, why even bother with this Pistol or talent at all? Sure I know the 9mm is basically an emergency oh poo poo weapon, but I was expecting more from that Talent and popping a dozen skulls with one 9mm clip on Normal let me pretend I was Good At Ammo Management or whatever.

I have no problems with Commandos being relegated to trash clearing, but even trash can become ammo sinks while on Hard so I can imagine what Suicidal and HoE would be like if the rifle's can't pop a clot's skull in one go on those difficulties(hopefully I'm overestimating).. Meanwhile with Support, I don't notice much of a difference at all clearing trash away with one or two barrels.

EDIT: vvv

Trash really shouldn't become an ammo sink on any difficulty. According to the stats spreadsheet available, only Sirens, Husks, Scrakes, and Pounds have health that scale with difficulty. Everything else's health stays the same.
I admit my views on the matter are highly skewed by the 9mm situation.
"I need twice as much ammo for X when making headshots, even with a +40% talent and +10% class bonus. Therefore, body shots will be even worse. Beep Boop expect 20 base damage guns to fare as poorly on Suicidal as 15 base damage guns fare on hard".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 3, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Insert name here posted:

All the trash mobs don't get any more health past hard so it won't really be an issue to pop heads. Only Sirens, Husks, Scrakes and Fleshpounds continue to gain health.

While that is generally comforting to know if true, I just sent my casual rear end into some solo suicidal and solo HoE to check some things regarding Headclicking trash.

20 Base damage Medic pistol, medic has no damage buffs. Medic Pistol can oneshot clot and gorefast skulls on every solo difficulty. Normal, Hard, Suicidal, and HoE. The 9MM pistol in the hands of both a medic, and a Commando with the Backup talent, take 1 headshot on Normal, 2 headshots hard, Suicidal, and HoE.

Could somebody explain what I'm missing here? If trash HP really doesn't improve, why does the 9MM stop being able to 1 shot trash skulls past normal, even when you are stacking it with damage bonuses? Does the Commando inherent damage passive not work for them? Is the Backup talent broken? (After all, apparently their other lv 10 talent was broken until recently)? Is there an specific penalty to the 9MM itself on higher difficulties?

Also, holy poo poo a fresh face checking out higher difficulties is :stare: Dat slasher tactical dive roll. My level 5 Medic casual rear end can't quite make it through Solo Suicidal wave 2 oops bloat puke is actually loving dangerous there goes my last 50ish health as I'm healing myself

Alabaster White posted:

I bought KF1 back in 2009 and loving hated it. I couldn't finish a single game because there were way too many zeds and not nearly enough ammo to even get through wave 2. Then I played it again 10 minutes and it actually seems like a totally fine game now because they dialed back the insanity a little. In fact, I kinda like it! Just in time to never ever need to play it again :v:

Is the early access worth buying yet for a non-fan?

I am a terrible casual who only sorta got into KF1 as support only (so I could ignore ironsight aiming forever) and wrote off Solo mode in KF1, and I find KF2 a blast. I can actually clear Normal solo with all the current classes (even though Multiplayer is the intended and designed for gameplay experience), and the new option to add a wide crosshair when not using your ironsights really helps a ton. I am the worst in the world at deliberate headshoots in most viddy games and I will hipfire the skulls off 10 Clots with a 15 in the clip pistol while fleeing for my loving life, just for that little subconscious help it brings.

It did take me a few rounds to get a feel for things like not using up all my ammo ever even on Normal though. Plus you really feel the lack of bonuses when you start off at level Zero. Even hitting level 1 as shotguns man Suppport makes a world of killing power difference.

EDIT: vvv Yeah, I did missread the "past hard" bit, but that still doesn't change the mystery of "Why 20 +0% damage gun oneshot skull, while 15 +40% (+50%?) gun need two?"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 3, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

All you had to do was aim for the center of the head. What's wrong with that? Besides that gamers can't handle basic tasks anymore

For real this game has lovely pacing and the fact that you spend every wave dashing back and forth, getting kills relatively easily without aiming down sights has a lot to do with that.

Considering I mostly played support in KF1, that doesn't really sound like much of a change in how often I used the iron sight.

Though If anything, I use the ironsight in KF2 waaaaay more than I ever did in KF1 despite how much I like having that wide crosshair option. Even with the support. For whatever reason I can't noscope bloat heads with a pump shotgun in KF2 as easily as I could in KF1, just one of those oddball things.

Earlier someone was saying the varmint rifle ironsight is terrible but I find it just fine. Meanwhile, I am apparently at a loss at how to ironsight goods with a nailgun.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 3, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Slybo posted:

Yeah!
The quickly cobbled together and poorly thought out custom maps are starting to pop up.
At least they download quickly from the in-game server browser when you connect. https://youtu.be/fHfQeEOQO_4?list=PLCdZQjVrxXLot61m95wAWOzK5A2jt8KAg

Don't bother with the current Biotic Lab remake. It's flat, ugly, and they made the hallways too narrow with too many enemy spawn points.

Considering enemies appear to take little to no fall damage, I'm hoping somebody makes a map where all the spawnpoints drop enemies out of the sky.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I wonder if those moments of going from 80+ health to dead from Hans's guns in literally one second, even on normal, are Hans nailing headshots? It would be kinda funny if that was a thing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kikas posted:

So am I the only one who thinks that they made the Medic Rifle so poo poo on purpose? Medic is kinda superpowered at the moment, and I think that the AR is just there to be a trap for people who think that "more expensive = better" along with the Eviscerator. With how absolutely insanely good the pistol, shotgun and especially the SMG for the medic are, there is no real reason to pick up the AR. You'd be better off with AA12.

Well, the Medic rifle can fire the most darts, so from a "What medic gun medics the most", it is still better than the shotgun.

EDIT: Some way to make it more clear without google the whole "Hans has huge damage reduction from when he drops smoke to when he finishes a grab" would be very important, yes. I've seen people with higher ranks than me pubbing in normal and coordinating over mumble or something who were apparently unaware of this.

Also, making Hans's guns less hit or miss (:iamafag:) on if they are tickling you or the Golden Gun.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 5, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HellCopter posted:

People should stop thinking of Hans' grabs as "heals" and more as "opportunities to shoot the guy while I run in a circle." They're really more like breathers than attacks.

Please tell me this is some "I am the puppetmaster" bait and not just further evidence they really need to make Han's damage resistance gimmick clear in game :saddowns:

Tanreall posted:

Why are so many people getting shot anyways? You should have someone right up in his grill so he only uses melee attacks, grenades, and nerve gas.

Hans targeting seems to operate on murphy's law. I've chased him shooting an AA12 point blank into the back of his head trying to get his attention but he would do nothing but chain melee the medic over and over even as they ran all around and up stairs into another room. If I WANT his attention I can magdump my AA12 point blank into him and he will ignore me, If I'm trying to sneak in some shots safely he will 180 to face me before I even unload my boomstick, or If I'm peeking around a corner with a Commando gun.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 5, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

UltraVariant posted:

2. Commando is the closest class to cawwadooty, so it will drag the kids in.

But I've never played a CoD :downs:

Besides, the lifebar while fun is pretty frivolous right now. You know what you see when you decapitate an enemy? 1/4 of a healthbar remaining. With a scrake and FP around you are likely more worried about lining up your shots properly or avoiding getting hurt by it, even with Scrake aggro mechanics.

Honestly the best thing I can say for seeing health bars is they show up well in the dark and help highlight Crawlers in corpse mounds that you have winged in the arm or something. I like that it is there as a little gimmick, but you really would not be missing out on much if it was gone.

Slybo posted:

Oh. Does everyone see it or just him?
Because I've never noticed one. I was thinking that everyone should be able to see it.

And if I could see it does it look like the players health bar? Because then I have been confusing it for players health bars.
My point being that it should be visually distinct from player health bars.

Only the commando sees it. You only see it after you deal damage (or maybe when others deal damage?). The health bar only lasts two seconds and goes away if no further damage is dealt.

And again, see the above where a health bar is not always an indicator of whether or not an enemy has been dealt with.

vvv If only you can see it, I don't really see it helping anybody BUT you. Outside of voice chat "The FP on the left is the one that has more damage guys", but that is more a function of voice chat teamwork than lifebars helping other people.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 5, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Make Crawlers with circular sawblades for hands and feet.

Basically, let me shoot the Wheelers from Return To Oz.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Horzine posted:

"gently caress quality control, I want my loyal tube/tree grown Zed army NOW!"

Basically this. Horzine skipped beta testing and early access Zeds and look what they got :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Of the new Perks, I'm most curious about SWAT because outside of the name and apparently a taste for SMGs, it's harder to guess what they are going to do with it gimmick wise. At least compared to Hanzo Steel McMartial artist, and :ocelot: the class.