Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Questioner86 posted:

Sorry to hear you guys don't like the revised resist system, but I'm going to go ahead and deny any requests for heads on sticks. I've been play testing A LOT over the last couple of weeks and had some of the most intense and fun experiences playing KF2 in those final playtests once the system really started to take shape and I'm not keen on firing anyone the company because they had fun during a play test.

Personally, I like the idea of there being some strategy to team composition, skill selection and weapon selection and we've gotten a lot of feedback over the last year that all the perks are too similar, the skill choices are always one-sided and that the tactics and combos aren't as complex as in KF1. The concept of certain perks being ideal to deal with certain threats and team work being the key to success sounds like classic co-op or team based shooter design I think it's a good goal. Medic+Berserker being the ultimate combo or a single perk with a certain loadout being being good at tackling every threat in the game isn't exactly thrilling game play and we're trying to improve that.

I think the system pairs really well with the new cumulative incap system and we'll just have to see what adjustments need to be made to keep the game fun and challenging as you go up through the difficulties. Save the serious resistances that require careful team coordination and perk selection to HoE and letting normal difficulty be an experience where 6 berserkers can run around playing whack-a-mole? Might be the solution. Add more weaknesses so each perk only has one nemesis ZED (like the Husk vs Firebug)? Maybe be that. We'll have to keep gathering feedback and see. If the community decides they want head popping simulator then I'm sure they'll make that desire known.

Okay realtalk constructive feedback dude:

If you really want the game to be about people naturally making a team comp that covers all avenues, then the class-weapon system needs to go. If you need certain weapons by design you can't lock them to classes that then also have to level in a very lengthy way (in a system that leaves many of them utter garbage before significant level investment). People cannot adapt because they don't have every class at max level. Decouple guns from classes and yeah - a dude can go "we don't have microwaves we are getting screwed by sirens, I'll pick one up".

Then reason this probably didn't show in your internal tests is because you can skip the grind and/or already have every class maxed. Of course people are going to be able to adapt at that point, but it's utterly unrealistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
What I love about that is that the intended "this is my job to kill target" for the Demo is literally the zed who's job it is to counter Demo. How do you arrive at and think "this is good intuitive design".

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

If I had to guess I'd say healing you receive is considered negative damage from a medic pistol, and self-heals are considered negative damage from....a shotgun?

Edit: nevermind didn't see that there's more negative damage from other weapons - no loving clue. Is Bosses healing themselves counting as negative damage for whatever did the healed damage in the first place?

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 20, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

How make Stalker a threat without making fighting her feel like poo poo:
Give her an AI that flanks around the players.

How to make Stalker a threat but fighting her feels like poo poo:
Make the naked invisible woman have a poo poo-ton of hitpoints.

This isn't rocket science people.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Danknificent posted:

I wouldn't try at all. Survivalist would be underpowered. The spawns are unique to you*. Round X, you get tier X weapons spawning. There would be a large component of luck.

*the locations can be static, just the weapon type/tier randomized - there for all survivalists, but everyone can only pick it up once per round.

If we really wanted to lighten up, have some actual fun with the game, and take it a step further, we could have it so you never know what kind of grenade you'll throw when you hit the button. Random every time. The level perks would just be incremental across the board buffs instead of narrow situational nonsense. HP and movement speed would be important to this class since it's all about running around solo to forage. Armor maybe.

As for custom mappers, there are only two Survivalist entities to place: ammo and weapons. The weapons are random. The ammo is just ammo, or armor. If map makers can't be bothered, you got nine other classes to play on custom maps. You'd have to find a good place between too many spawns and not enough, but you could just err toward not enough and call it a day.

Survivalist is already a transparently disappointing cop-out class; TWI isn't fooling anyone, so making it actually fun/humorous/exciting/spontaneous could actually be a decent consolation prize. My personal take on the perk wouldn't be for tactically-thinking-nerd-teamwork-depend-on-repetitive-strats tryhards, it would be for actual-FPS-skill-having tryhards who like to run around and have a good time, and for people who have spent a lot of time with this fundamentally repetitive game and want to spice up the marriage a little. For people who've already 25ed everything else. I've barely got all my classes to 10 and I'm ready for something new.

Yeah if you're going to make an asset recycling class at least make it properly funky. Generic non-specialized passives and perks only. Random Grenade every time you throw is a good idea. Hell make it unable to gain dosh and use the trader - survivalist has to live off the map, but gets special drops only survivalists can see to compensate? Gotta use what you find, and if it's empty throw it away and grab something else!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I just hope they don't overreact. Firebug is nuts broken, but I fear that he'll go back to pointless again.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

The game they reveal is the one you get up front so the influx should start immediately.

Edit: vvv Ok that makes sense I guess. Didn't know it cause I don't know anybody who actually subscribes and doesn't just grab a single month when something interesting is in there.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 5, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

edit: Still don't understand why they can't back-grant missed crates. Each crate is 500k, so if a player has 3M in their Dosh Vault but only has had 2 crates dropped, just throw 4 more crates into their inventory? I'm assuming it's not that easy but I can't figure out what the tech hurdles might be.

If they don't have anything that records how many crates a player got, they don't know how many are missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

I'll be interested to see how they do an Endless Mode. I've played on modded servers with higher player counts and it always seems to devolve into Berserkers and Medics kiting the last 100 zeds for 20 minutes each wave. Not sure how to avoid that but I sure hope they do!

Defend an objective would stop endless kiting.