Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
A class shouldn't be significantly more effective using offperk weaponry, IMO. If they are its a failure of class design. Move C4 to the demo's grenade slot, m79 to t2, and the M36 to t3. One c4 out at a time, tapping grenade again detonates it. You'd get the relatively easy t1 ->t2 progression most classes have, and t3 vs t4 would still be a choice between two good options like it is for a lot of other classes, rather than a no-brainer.

And improve the grenade pistol somehow. I'm out of ideas on that one.

E: as a bonus you can then move the dynamite sticks to gunslinger and keep the nailbomb thingies for another class. Sharpshooter maybe.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you're worried about demo single-target damage, up the damage of direct impacts, especially for the RPG. (Keep a theoretical m36 with low impact damage and velocity so you can arc it fairly well into the center of mobs) You could decrease the damage close to the center of the blast while keeping the peripheral damage relatively similar if you wanted, too. Coupled with the weapon changes I suggested above, you'd keep demo as a good class for clumps and high threat targets while keeping them weaker to mid-tier targets, leaving a good niche for gunslingers and commandos. If they wanted, they could opt to take the M36 for increased power against middle stuff/mobs instead of slamming an rpg into a FP's face.

But that's silly.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you slightly upped commandos' ability to deal the the big guys somehow, they'd be a very effective all-rounder that would always have a place on a team without filling a niche. Slight stagger/slow effect oh hitting them, maybe? You'd keep the raging scrakes/fps from hitting your and your allies for a tiny bit longer, which wod give you more time to pour fire into them. Or playing into the "leader" idea, the last target hit by a commando takes extra damage for a few seconds? Nothing major, but I wouldn't mind a versatile jack-of-all-trades class and commando seems to be the closest.

E: so basically, commando clears out trash at range, then helps the team focus on the big threats when they close. But trying to hit the bigger guys at a distance would just trigger rage so they'd have to be judicious with who and when they shoot.

Vvvv not currently effective enough to justify their weaker power at the moment. IMO. They're okay, but need a little something and I don't know what.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 6, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Am I the only one who kind of prefers single pistols instead of dual? Yeah I get one more clip of ammo, but the longer reloads seem killer. I go back and forth on whether I'd rather have the quick reloads/small mags or not, because every time I try either way, I wish I'd gone the other.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

gnome7 posted:

That spot is probably the best spot on Burning Paris because the only close spawn is from behind the cars, and that's easily watched by a firebug or zerker. Everything else has to walk down the subway tunnel, down the side path by the cafes, or down the giant staircase above the subway path, and you can see them all coming from miles away so you can pick them off early. Also, the big guys, Fleshpounds and Scrakes, only ever come from the Subway, making them extremely easy for the demo / zerker / support to prep for by just being in position to intercept them.
The access points are also wide enough that if there is a reason to run, you're not going to get easily blocked. Heading towards the cafes gives you some flex to back up without having to completely relocate.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Psion posted:

I'd originally wrote 95% and changed it to 90 to try and make it clearer, but gently caress...you're right :v:

90 + 9 = 99%, owned by my own math

see? proves my point. 10% sounds cool, but you gotta go into the data. See how easy it is to think it's meaningful when it isn't? haha
And on top of that, you're on a team and doing AoE damage. If you do take the contrived example above, there's a drat good chance someone does the remaining 10% damage before you could even reload in the first place, so you're still at effectively 1 shot to kill even with reduced damage. All it takes is a few stray pistol rounds etc to make up the difference, and between grenades, flamethrowers, shotguns, and assault rifles everywhere, that's pretty easy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Psion posted:

I think adding a bunch of HUD stuff to indicate resists is just going to mean a convoluted HUD - you can't make a system like this discoverable. Stun is a good incap, and it does add something to Sharp, but overall there are too many kinds and too many effects and too many resists - trying to put that on a HUD in a way which is glancable is, in my view, both implausible and treating the symptom and not the cause.

stuff like "firebug vs husk bad" is easy to remember and makes sense - it's incredibly discoverable. Of course the flamethrower enemy ain't gonna give a gently caress about fire. Stuff like "sirens resist this and this and that and this and those but not this" is untenable.
Yeah, firebug v husk is fine, and adding in a metal-armored dude that's resistant to bullets but gets cooked by fire and easily stunned by explosives would be fine too, but that's not what happened. Sadly. There's even natural roles that emerge from things like some classes having high damage, low RoF, long reload weapons being more vulnerable to Stalkers/Clots/etc than the guys with high RoF, low damage or shotguns or whatever. That's a natural role that just doesn't work anymore because some gun types suddenly don't do damage to arbitrary targets for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What's weird is that they understood some things with difficulty on KF2's initial release. Higher difficulties add more damage and health to enemies, yes, but they also added more abilities and actions to enemies as you get to higher difficulties. They get more variable in their movements, add extra attacks, and generally become more complex to deal with. It was a neat little touch that made me think they understood how to add difficulty in fun ways without making them instakilling bulletsponges. Then, welp, here we are.