Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Haven't played this for Many Moons and when I came back Firebug felt like garbage. Guess I know why now, but having a relatively low level class that feels just awful to play until you grind it up is pretty unappealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gave Firebug another try and just stuck to the flamethrower instead of Microwave, and that helped a lot. Also reading through the perk list it sounds like almost every Firebug perk worth taking specifically mentions fire, but I assume that means the Microwave doesn't benefit from it?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

LuciferMorningstar posted:

You know, I do see one thing maybe being good:

If this is the same thing as the Firebug explosion, then going to town on groups of Zeds with something like a .500 would probably yield fantastic results.

Yeah that was the one thing that stood out to me as well. That perk is an absolute gamechanger for firebug, and I could see it being fantastic for, well, pretty much every other class too.

Colosmicon posted:

uhhhh this tripwire staff list looks way shorter than when I last checked it

Wow, this game is being developed pretty quickly considering one of them is a dog. Really appreciate the VP's commitment to gun safety as well.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 21, 2016

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Might be better to make the ammo boxes and weapons normal, but have survivalist start with an innate perk that doubles ammo box pickup and gives random better quality weapons when picking up after a certain level. Then have the perks for leveling be something like ammo box pickup amount = 200% + 5% per level? And have the perks you need to pick from allow you to skew preferentially towards certain weapons.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Theta Zero posted:

For me the most obnoxious special zeds are Gorefasts because of their magical blocking forcefields and Husks because they'll either take out literally half of your health with a single fireball, or literally all of your health (armor included) if they decide to do their fire-urinating attack.

If you know there is a husk around, save your syringe. Healing while on fire reduces the amount of damage that the remaining burn does pretty significantly. The fire spray is awful but at least they have to be close to do that.

Shumagorath posted:

Has Firebug been unfucked yet y/n?

Depends on what you mean. Damage on firebug guns is awful, microwave gun is the worst gun in the game, but level 15 firebug perks make it pretty playable.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Part of what might be the problem for people with Firebug as well is that ground fires are effectively mandatory for playing the class right. Don't aim at chests and heads, the other classes are all teaching you Wrong Facts. Aim at thighs so you're both lighting a zed on fire and lighting the ground on fire under him (and anything around and behind him). The inability of the microwave and trench guns to do this is a very large factor in contributing to their garbage-ness.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Jack of Very Few Trades then?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skoll posted:

It has its moments. Like every co op game, it's best with a group of friends. Tripwire continues to confuse their head for their rear end when it comes to balancing, but that's just carrying over a not so proud tradition from their other games as well.

I mean, the balance is not perfect (Firebug comes to mind...) but it could be a lot worse. You post in the MWO thread, you know that.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cluck in peace, sweet prince.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Collapsing is a great song, it really carries that video imo. I always smile when I hear the first few bars start up a new wave.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Demo door traps are awesome, can confirm. They make for very good synergy between support and demo; pretty much everything on the other side of the door is dead as soon as it opens, so if you can keep it welded shut until 20 zeds are back there, awesome. Thing is, demo doesn't really have the welding skill to do that, but support can top it off every once in a while to make sure it stays shut until it hits a huge crowd.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Theta Zero posted:

He used to be much easier before they broke EMPs on him. Now the best you can do is hope that you can block him when he tries to heal. They really need to make it so when he's running to heal, EMPs, flashbangs, and maybe molotovs actually stun him.

But then molotovs might actually be useful!

Is it just me who doesn't like or use them, though? It feels like they just do the same thing as the normal flamethrower does when you point it at the ground but instead of consuming three dosh of ammo, it's forty dosh. Even when I have a demo giving me free molotovs I rarely use them as the time it takes to throw it means time I am not using the flamethrower. They feel like a weaker version of the caulk gun with a slightly higher range.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

pech posted:

Is welding useless on every difficulty? It seems like holding out a position is a lot less viable than in kf1?

Holding positions works with varying degrees of success on different maps. The initial goal that TWI had with KF2 was to encourage people to run around the map for the whole round instead of staying in one place. That idea didn't work very well because most people can't even stay with a group on the move, and shooting while moving with your friends is way too tough apparently. As a result, quite a few of the maps are designed without intentional good spots to hold out.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'd hope for a molotov buff personally, since molotovs are useless to the firebug as well.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

There is definitely overlap between demo and sharpshooter, but SS is better at skrakes and Demo is for Fleshies. That's how my group runs it, anyway.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I feel like I must be playing a very different game than you are.

Maybe it's just because I play so much firebug that Support feels great, I dunno.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I just run the normal shotgun until I can buy the AA12; they have essentially identical stats except for the AA12's rate of fire and ammo ofc. Don't put all your ammo into fleshpounds and skrakes if you can avoid it, focus on mid tier poo poo like bloats and sirens, your ammo efficiency is pretty poor against the big guys. Once you have enough money you should buy the double barrel to go with your AA12 and that kicks rear end against skrakes and fleshies, just get point blank and empty both barrels with the alt fire. The reason I recommend doing it this way instead of the other way around is that the double barrel, while powerful and relatively ammo-efficient, has very expensive ammo. It will drain your reserves and leave you poor, and its spread is so high it's really inefficient to use unless you're at point blank. Another point in the AA12's favor is that you get just so so much ammo from pickups, it's fantastic; you have relatively few mags but they're huge, so a couple boxes will mostly replenish your capacity. You're not gonna do that with the other shotguns.

The m4 is alright, does better damage per shot than the AA12/pump action, but its ability to chew through ammo at an alarming rate does not couple well with its very long reloads imo. I tend to avoid it but I am sure better players will tell you differently.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, Farmhouse is just a tough map in general, and it scales much harder than other maps on higher difficulties. On HoE it can feel like the entirety of the map is just covered with zeds shoulder to shoulder because it's so small.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Firebug was a bit dicey after resists, but a good player could still have a lot of fun and clean house with it. So they nerfed it. Again. And again. And again.

And now after three nerfs it's not worth playing my favourite class. Not bitter or anything.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Evil Eagle posted:

Where are Xmas Zeds. This is unacceptable

They're coming next year, this year they were too busy doing things like "finishing the game" etc.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I love that the Skrake is doing his pointing thing. I remember just running the first time he did that to me.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skrakes take significantly reduced explosive damage but are specifically weak to the impact of the rocket projectile, so aim for their body/head and not their feet. Even if you're too close for the warhead to arm, the impact damage alone is worth it. The M79 isn't great against them though, avoid using it on them unless they're really far off and can be killed before getting close, or if he's already been aggro'd by your teammates. Then you might as well help out.

Oh, and the rocket can knock both skrakes and fleshies off their feet, which is often enough for teammates to take them down while they're trying to recover.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Thanks. Quick firebug question. Microwave gun feels like it does less damage than the flamethrower, especially since it doesn't seem to light stuff on fire. It does do a delightful puff effect on zeds, so that's awesome enough for me.

The MWG should be avoided at all costs on the current PS4 patch.

However, what it theoretically does in the current patch and actually does in the current PC beta patch is a little different from what you'd expect. The way zed resistances break down essentially means the Microwave Gun is good against anything with a lot of metal on it- sirens, fleshpounds, and husks. Conversely, the flamethrower is good against things that don't have much metal, like clots and crawlers. I'd suggest just sticking to the flamethrower on the current live patch and switching to sharpshooter or demo for the boss wave; but once the experimental patch goes live, the flamethrower will progress nicely into the MG, where the flamethrower is good against the sorts of enemies you find on early waves and MG is better lategame.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I wouldn't mind them nearly as much if they didn't block most of the time and if their blocking weren't so effective. With two blades, and with both blades' hitboxes extending past the metal bits, you sort of have to be playing support/demo/firebug if you want to kill them. Everything else relies too much on the headshot.

What's the hyper armor thing about?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

So what's the difference between the railgun lockon/no lock modes? It doesn't seem necessary most of the time to lock; is there any upside to using it manually though?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Going for the legs helps a lot.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Fina posted:

Thank you, that is a ton of really helpful information.

What is the advantage of using the AK over the Medic Rifle now that Commando can use it? On paper the Medic Rifle seems better in most ways.

Medic rifle is heavier and more expensive. That's about it, but then, that's generally the case in KF, weapons are supposed to get better as they go up in cost.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Chicken Suit is the only character that matters.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SynchronizedCocks posted:

Thanks. I've been playing KF2 for a couple months now and haven't figured out many tactics yet, other than Scrakes and FPs seem to rage a lot quicker than they used to.

Does anyone else find the general pattern of play is team finds a place to camp until things go to hell? Actually thinking about it was more or less the same in the previous game. I don't mind generally but it gets ridiculous at times. Like everyone piled into one corner of a hallway round after round holding onto those few square feet for dear life ridiculous. This is on suicidal so maybe HOE requires a different approach, but no one seems to take the time to make a good kite these days. Maybe because the maps seem smaller (to me at least).

If you're not playing in a group that's sort of bound to happen- if there's even one person in the game who isn't communicating and playing as a team, moving means leaving at least one person behind means at least one dead person not pulling their weight means losing games. Camping a good room is an easy tactic, but not really the best one.

Skrake and Fleshie rages are tied to difficulty level, i.e. on normal Skrakes have to lose 75% of their health iirc before they rage, whereas Suicidal it's 25% or something thereabouts.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I can't join any multiplayer servers on The Descent, gives me an error about being unable to download mall_assets. My buddy is having the same problem, but we can both play it solo offline just fine.

The LMG is fun but it doesn't feel like it really plays to Commando's strengths. It would be a much better weapon for 1100 instead of 1500. It is entertaining though.

Nuked is great, had a lot of fun on it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah there is absolutely no way the Spitfire isn't getting nerfed in the next patch or a hotfix. It's fine and pretty normal outside of Zed time but if you're a 25 Firebug the moment it hits you can just delete everything in front of you. For a weapon that's 650D for two, that's not going to stand.

It's also disappointing that the rest of the Firebug weapons still suck with that perk, the incendiary trenchgun still isn't affected by the perk so you shoot in slow mo when you shouldn't, ditto the microwave gun's alternate fire.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah I'm absolutely not saying they should be nerfed or that I want them nerfed. Firebug is probably my favourite class, and it's great to have something that plays a little differently in after all this time. I think they're great, I really like the way they work.

But what I am saying is that Tripwire is absolutely going to nerf them because of that. Like I said in my first post, I think almost all of them time they make for a pretty reasonable weapon system, but in that instance they're bonkers and usually TWI responds to that situation by nerfing the weapon in question. They've also spent a big part of the last year nerfing the hell out of Firebug so that goes double in this case.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The trench gun was really bad until the patch before this one, but it's actually really drat good now. Second highest damage per shot shotgun in the game iirc, only real downside is the pricey ammo and reload times. Microwave + trench is great though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The usefulness of panicking zeds is questionable if you're not going to finish them. Sometimes that just makes it really hard for your allies to line up the headshots because they flail around so much.

What IS useful the guaranteed stagger you get from the level 20 perk on close range zeds. I have saved so many teammates from being chainsawed/flesh pounded by staggering them at the last second, letting my allies land the final shots instead of dying.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gunslinger feels like they really want you to use revolvers but I just don't feel like they get the job done, you spend way too long reloading and the extra damage they deal is just not worth it compared to magazine-fed weapons. The 1858s are maybe the worst weapons in the game. I was going for 1911s + deagles but have switched to spitfires and deagles lately.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Psion posted:

the .500s, meanwhile, are some of the best weapons in the game

Yeah I do definitely switch from spitfires/deagles to 500s/deagles for the last wave or two and boss. As much as I dislike the revolvers, you can't beat the power that the 500s bring.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The easy rule to remember with the Microwave Gun is that it's good against anything with metal, and the more metal is has the better the MG does against it. That means it's good exactly inversely to what the flamethrower is good against- the MG does okay against Gorefasts, is decent against bloats, great against Sirens, Husks, FPs, and pretty good against Skrakes. It's bad against crawlers and clots. The Flamethrower is great against clots and crawlers, good against gorefasts, alright against bloats, and not so great at sirens, husks, and big guys. Oh, and MG is great against both bosses too.

For most classes I honestly feel okay sticking with the starting gear and then moving straight to the 1500D weapon asap, but Firebug isn't really meant to be played that way. Get the flamethower early, use the heck out of it on the waves where there are a ton of weaker enemies without metal, and then sell it and switch to the MG late game where there's not nearly as much trash to take out. Alternately, just hold on to the caulk gun and use that against weak stuff and save your MG ammo for the big guys and sirens.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I like playing a gun-focused Firebug. The pistols are my favorite (especially with double magazine size, wow) but the shotgun is nice as well. I hope they introduce a Firebug SMG at some point, like in KF1.

Yeah, that quick writeup was more focused on if you want to use the flamethrower style weapons. The Spitfires are great and so is the trench gun, I think it's totally viable to use just those for most of the game, though you'd probably want to switch to Microwave for the boss. Might run into ammo troubles on higher difficulties with a full server, too.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Theta Zero posted:

What.

Sharpshooter is my favorite class because of how downright overpowered it is. With every damage-boosting perks the railgun one-shots Scrakes and two-shots Fleshpounds on HoE. On the boss wave, if everybody gets the railgun it just melts the boss, whether it's Hans or Kevin, and I couldn't beat HoE solo as SWAT without just ditching my weapons and using the railgun off-perk because it does so much damage anyways. Sharpshooter is the best class solely because of the railgun and freeze grenades. The fact that they're buffing it in the next patch just blows my mind as to why.

If you can't headshot it's not very good. People who can't headshot bring down the numbers.

Same reason they kept nerfing firebug repeatedly, no aim required means the bar to be good at it is pretty low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It was in other Unreal games (specifically Unreal and its tournament varieties) and was also in KF1, what with it being a UT mod and all.

And yes, that is a feature more games need.