Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've been playing the new update. My thoughts:

* Not really sold on the SWAT. It's tanking abilities are minimal, and the class plays like a less powerful Commando. The magazine size increase skill is really cool though; it makes your non dividable by 5 level ups feel useful for once instead of feeling like minuscule increments. The P90 is really fun too and the most enjoyable and useful SWAT weapon, even though it's technically just a Bullpup with a bigger magazine. I'd prefer playing Commando in most cases, but with all the people experimenting with SWAT, now's a good time to enjoy it. I think it needs a good rework to reach what TWI wants with it.

*Stalkers are a very interesting enemy to fight now. They're no longer just invisible Clots with tits; their cool dodging makes them a lot more interesting to fight and makes Commandos a lot more important. Kudos to TWI for listening on how to make enemies more interesting to fight.

*The Gorefast blocking is a mixed bag; it makes them more dynamic, but making such a common enemy reflect. At this point, I bodyshot them half of the time because it's easier than hoping they won't block. A SCAR-H wielding Commando is almost a must for cutting down Gorefast packs quickly because they can OHKO a Gorefast with a headshot or quickly kill him with bodyshots.

*The new Support is godly and really fun. I know it'll get nerfed into oblivion soonish, but I'm really enjoying it.

*Sharp is in serious trouble with the increased spawns. Makes it very difficult to stand still so Sniper's bonus damage can kick in. It seems like a Sharp will need a Commando or SWAT glued to his rear end 24/7 to kill anything approaching the Sharp in order to be effective.

*Speaking of spawns, I'm digging the new spawns placed around camping areas. It makes them a lot more fun and frantic to hold.

I'm quite impressed with this update. I still have some doubts about how TWI is going to develop KF2 (mostly because of their solution to balance being "NERF THE PLAYER"), but I've gotten a lot of respect back for TWI because of this update. They seem to be truly listening to the community instead of throwing out stuff because of "It played well internally!".

I only played in Hard because going through Suicidal with a gaggle of low-level SWATs as your teammates would really suck. I'll hit Suicidal once the newness of the SWAT updates wears off and the SWAT horde dies down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

quote:

Suicidal is getting really, really crazy with the Scrake spam. On a 7 wave game, I alone killed 22 Scrakes ("I alone" as in just I got the kill confirm, there were even more Scrakes getting killed by people). I would appreciate enemy hordes rather than just the game spamming more Scrakes and Fleshpounds. But given how easy it is to kill Scrakes now, it makes sense for them to just spawn more of them.

Also I was wrong that Hans's animations were screwed up. They, for some reason, gave him a jetpack that he farts out and just propels ten feet. It's really obnoxious on top of (on Suicidal) him going back to prepatch removeplayer damage but also being even faster. They also made it so he can throw grenades and run at the same time. The Partiarch, comparatively, is mostly unchanged so it's beginning to feel like the game is going back to you being able to complete a map being down to a coin flip again.

SWAT holds up in Suicidal, though. But it's only because of his flash bang grenades. Otherwise he literally is just a weaker Commando with no real distinction.

Suicidal sounds like it's a bit of a mess right now. I think I'll stick with Hard until the TWI sorts it out (except for Hans, who I"m sure they'll keep as-is because they like making him a chore to fight for some reason) and the SWAT horde dies down.

Theta Zero posted:

I know he jumped to do some jab attacks, but now he's just jetpacking around literally at random.

Now that I think of it, I remember that they said Hans is one of the zeds that are supposed to dodge now, so that's probably just his dodge move. But he does it so frequently that it's more obnoxious than interesting or challenging. The animation for it also looks really unnatural and just sort of bad.

But I never remember him simultaneously throwing grenades while running. I've always remembered him stopping to chuck grenades and then actually moving.

The only dodge animation that looks good is the Stalker's and that's because she had special dodge animations made for her. The rest of them are just a pre-existing animation sped up, which looks pretty jerky.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Ok, Commando is def. better than SWAT in almost all aspects. With a high level Commando and AR-15 or Bullpup, you can OHKO Gorefats with a headshot, while you can't with the SWAT, no matter your level or weapon. In addition, the Commando has a perked-up SCAR-H, the ability to let the team see Stalkers, and zed time extensions.

Also, the game has been crashing and disconnecting a lot for me. This happening to anyone else?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I can see where Tripwire is trying to take Hans; as a fast and powerful opponent. However, there's some issues that make him a chore to fight instead of fun. Here's how I'd fix him.

*Don't make his melee combos an instant kill on almost anyone Seriously, this is annoying.

*I'd remove a good amount of his HP to emphasize him as a fragile speedster so that his current love of zooming around the map and dodging compensates for his missing HP. For example; his dodging will make it harder for Demos to get direct rocket hits on him, but when they do, it'll hurt like a bitch for him.

A fragile speedster boss would be a fun change of pace compared to the tanky Patriarch, but Tripwire is missing the mark on making Hans one.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

immortal flow posted:

The leap in difficulty from Hard to Suicidal is even more pronounced now than I remember :stare:

You've got poison crawlers out the rear end, alpha clots can enrage everyone around them now (???) and I'm pretty sure every zed is even more likely to sprint / dodge.

It's craaaaazy

On the other hand, the increased zed numbers and spawns means a lot more targets as Demo.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Is it me, or are weapon combos not nearly as effective as they are in KF1? Combos are quite dependent on there no being other zeds in the area (which is much harder than in KF1 because of the smaller maps and increased spawn-rates, especially after the SWAT update) and nobody else shooting the target while you're doing the combo. If any of those are broken, then combo is hosed and it turns into magdumping on the target's weak point. It's often easier just to let the least combo-dependent class kill them, or at least start firing so the target has taken a lot of damage by the time he's raged. It really hurts Gunslinger, who relies on combos that require no trash nor someone else shooting the target to kill Scrakes.

The best strategy for Scrake-killing seems to be "wait for someone to fire the first shot, then unload on the head" in most situations. Only SWAT has a really effective combo that doesn't depend on someone else not screwing everything up by shooting the Scrake as well.

Most of the combos you see posted on places like /kfg/ seem more like they're to show how "pro" the recorder is in a sterile test environment (which is like thinking you're pro because you can beat a solo game) than something that actually works in the field.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Sonic the Hoxhaist posted:

The best combo is to let the demo shoot it with a rocket first. God drat sharps kept aggroing the FPs and we died.

Yes. The best "combo" for FPs is "Let the Demo blow up the FP with the RPG-7 while killing the Crawlers and Stalkers heading for the Demo" and the "best" combos for the Scrake are "Let SWAT flashbang and Kriss him", "Let the Sharp, Demo, or Support headshot him with the Railgun, RPG-7, or Boomstick" or "Magdump into his head when he's raged when we don't have a Sharp, Demo, or SWAT". Everything else is an exercise in frustration and getting teammates killed.