Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shine posted:

This game is cool, but the leveling mechanic seems pointless beyond suckering grinding hours out of players.

If X class is supposed to fulfill Y role, then just give that class all its perk selections and class weapon bonuses from the start so players can experience that role as intended and the game can be based entirely on the precision, awareness, money management and teamwork that happens within the game itself. It's not like this is an ARPG or something where the entire point is to raise stats and get loot and min-max builds and the game is principally designed around making those things fun. In a game like this, it's just tacked-on and annoying.

I got into KF1 really late in its life, and by that time all the grind mechanic did was make it so I'd either have to drag my friends down to a difficulty that was cake for their maxed-out characters, or they'd have to carry me on their preferred difficulty because my character simply didn't have the DPS/survivability/perks to match their productivity, all else being equal. How does that improve the game? Mass Effect 3 co-op had the same problem. It was great fun, but that was despite the horrible weapon upgrade grind. By the time I finally got the game at my brother's urging, he'd unlocked loads of weapon upgrades that made anything short of the highest difficulty way too easy for him, but my character couldn't do much on those high difficulties, so one of us was forced to be bored unless I first spent dozens (or hundreds) of hours grinding out Spectre weapons and enough upgrades to make them useful.

On the flipside, one of the best things about Left 4 Dead is that I could get a friend into it tomorrow and they'd be playing the same game I'm playing, not having to grind the metagame for hours to unlock the "real" game. They could hop into higher difficulties as soon as they felt ready based on their skill and familiarity with the game, and wouldn't be arbitrarily hampered by having unlocked only 5% bonus shotgun damage against Boomers.

How does class grinding make Killing Floor a better experience for the players?

There is not a lot to this game if you are not grinding, especially right now. We will probably see the return of servers where they just max out your level, if we have not already.

Personally I am hoping the thing they really patch is the stupid boss, who turns the game into Kiting Floor because he has ridiculous AOE and bullet sponging. If every boss is this un-fun it's going to be ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The thing that kills me about this game's fantastic modding support is that sooner or later every modded server is going to turn into rooftop campout maps.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So yeah I like this map a lot better than the first two. It's better-designed and has a far more interesting aesthetic.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If there were just a mode where you ran around with an unlimited clip fighting endless zombie trash mobs and popped zed time every time you killed one, I doubt I'd ever get tired of that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Right now the leveling tree is Actual Choice / Idiotic Choice for Dumb Babbies at every. tier. So it's good to know that that's going to change in at least some way.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's kind of amazing how much easier this game gets when you hit 10 on a support. Suddenly I go #1 in kill leaderboards without even realizing it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Section Z posted:

Hopefully Sharps do lean towards that, at least. Maybe they will have bonus damage to Scrakes or something?

I was more thinking of the more extreme end people who feel "Can't kill Pounds with SICK COMBOS, game is garbage :byodood:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnbvyj1TnNU

I wonder how Hans will react to Sharps, Doesn't he not have separate head health right now? I wonder what they will do regarding headclicking mechanics for Hans.

Unrelated super useless bug/working as intended?: As the only man on the planet to use the Backup talent, I've noticed that 9mm/Knife stalker kills do not count for bonus commando experience.

Could be worse, it could be a KF1 situation where there were stalker gates and they don't count. So if this is intended it's not too bad, and if it's a bug not really a priority fix.

At a certain point it's nice to see that there are ways to deal with the high-end monsters besides bullet-sponging them, which gets boring.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Borderlands 2 required a pretty expensive card when it came out to run PhysX on max. If you could do that, the game became a laser light show of goo and explosion particles to the point that it could interfere with your ability to see what was going on.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You can get a card that runs PhysX a year or more ago for a couple of hundred dollars. That is and has always been what a good price-to-performance card costs. You have never needed to spend more than that, this isn't a feature where you're spending more than anyone else who wants a machine that can play Killing Floor 2. If your Nvidia card is too lovely to run PhysX then you need to upgrade because you are probably hurting in a lot of other areas too.

I think this and Borderlands 2 are the only two games with significant PhysX that I can think of. Metro has some too. It's a cool feature because it makes the physics more monkeycheese, which is good in a game that is basically Dead Alive: The Movie: The Game.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My thoughts:

-The new changes are forcing people to use pistols too much. I didn't pick a class because I wanted a cool new way to shoot the same pistol, and trying to decide whether I want to use my real gun or a lovely pistol to dispatch a trash mob is not an interesting or fun choice. I struggle to understand why a class' basic gun doesn't have unlimited ammo at this point.

-If support has a lovely gun, the answer isn't to nerf all other support guns until they are as lovely as their worst gun. Come on, I can't even finish wave 1 without a pistol or running around to find a couple of crates. That's too much.

-The new street level is way too big. Groups are using like 20% of the playspace. The rest of it is corridors leading to nothing.

-As far as the whole meta of the game. Lots of players have already gotten bored and switched to servers that offer free level 25. The leveling system should be offering more playstyle choice and not "this many more levels til you can play on Suicidal."

All right, to stop complaining for a minute:

-Firebug and demo are both really, really fun. It's a bit vexing why you would pick support over either of these right now. In general most groups I play are barely even bothering with welding doors, which is a boring thing to be good at anyway. I suppose Support gets lots of hp, but gimped ammo is just a really bad way to balance this class.

-Good on ya for explaining to people what the hell to do for the boss and if I'm not mistaken, making it easier to see where the grenades are landing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

Remember that in KF1 if things went to poo poo you had 2 big strategies: kite or hold up. Reminder that doors still break once their health threshold is reached regardless of weld strength and they don't come back.

I would like to see no more Kiting Floor in this game ever. Most groups that are kiting are just dragging out a TPK in my experience.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

This is something I wish more games would model, really. Shotguns aren't the Elmer Fudd blunderbuss unless you put a ridiculous choke on them or shorten the barrel, but Quake 2 (or probably Doom 2) trained people to expect buckshot has a 90º sweep and it leads to ridiculous balance decisions like in CoD where the shot disappears after 20 feet.

If the Trench gun had a plume of flame or damaging muzzle flash to boost its close-range power that might work...? Maybe it gets better when you have Napalm/Shrapnel but I also see Caulk N Burn gaining more.

My observation of shotguns in video games is that they are either the most powerful weapon or the shittiest. There really isn't an in-between.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ruggington posted:

10% off-perk is pretty nice when you don't really need the other choice until FP's start showing up

it makes everything that's not the grenade pistol an even better starting choice

Or they could not do an incredibly lovely perk that de-emphasizes the reason you picked your class, I don't know.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ruggington posted:

not using an off-perk weapon on demo is just asking to get hosed over

Well cool, I get 10% off in a game that rains money on you starting at about wave 5. After hitting level 20.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I can't really think of a game with both a browser and matchmaking where the browser isn't way better.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Steam recommended me this game because I play Killing Floor 2. If I was Tripwire I'd be sweating to get some work done, because there's a new contender in the house.

Maybe for the 486 crowd.

Spoiler alert: It's really loving bad and the server populations are entirely kids with 10-year-old computers.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have some rhetorical questions about this game.

1. Why is it fun to pay for ammo? I am supposed to shoot things. I am already penalized for using ammo when I miss things, because then I don't have ammo. It's not like you're giving me shitloads.

2. Why is it fun to use pistols on any character that is not a handgunner by design? No one played or invested in any class because they wanted to figure out the handgun meta.

3. Why is almost every leveling choice Actual Good Choice / Idiot Garbage for Babbies?

4. Why is welding hilariously useless? It's not even worth the XP.

5. How is it that the demolitions guy is not the best at killing bosses? Good god, it's a bazooka.

Make this game more about killing zombies and creating fortifications and less about guessing/learning whatever the devs meant the meta to be.

That being said, yes this is the most complete Early Access game I've ever seen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gunslinger is OP at this point and makes commando and support in particular seem comparatively useless, unless those guys got buffs I haven't seen yet.

Patriarch seems really easy, but that could have been that my entire group was rolling gunslingers.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I really hope Gunslinger is considered the baseline for what other classes should be brought up to par with. It's good.

Yeah let me just say that while the Gunslinger is right now the best class, all classes should play this well.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

LuciferMorningstar posted:

It looks like Patriarch is resistant to basically all damage types, save for EMP and Microwave. In contrast, Hans is "only" vulnerable to toxic, EMP, slashing, and explosives. Patriarch loses EMP resistance, but gains resistance to fire, piercing, bludgeon, and ballistic. Both are pretty resistant to explosives, though, so lol if you like playing Demo for boss waves.

Demo occupies the "good at killing trash" niche, but whoops it turns out that everyone is good at killing trash, because it's trash

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I hope you guys realize that the gunslinger is going to inevitably be nerfed, as most of the classes have been. As the gunslinger at level 0 is better than some classes with 20 levels, I wouldn't expect every other class to improve to the gunslinger's level.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Psion posted:

hey, if it happens it won't be until March at the earliest :v:

But I disagree - Gunslinger 0 isn't better than any other class' 20. Gunslinger 0 is both usable and fun, a distinction also shared with Firebug. This is positive progress - remember how garbage the original 4 classes were at 0? They're ... well, two out of three ain't bad since. :shrug:

Basically, imagine a class with more damage, ludicrously more ammo, and even less reloading (but with longer animations) than pretty much any other class at level 0, with the added benefit of being able to buy its weapons at a cheaper rate. Wait, you don't have to imagine, because it's the Gunslinger.

If they are going to make every class as good as the gunslinger, that would be cool and good. In order for that to be true you would have to assume buffs for failed classes that no one really plays, like demo and commando. Based on history, an incoming nerf seems obvious, because this game is actually real easy with six gunslingers, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

We could also eventually see a shift to fix lovely classes I guess, but this game already has fundamental balance problems, like trying to give classes niches that don't actually exist, like welding and killing trash. But in their defense, some things have been fixed, like flashlights.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

I was just in a game with a Berserker who kited Hans for 45 minutes straight on Hard as the only one alive, taking occasional potshots at him with the Pulverizer. He won.

Yeah this happens way too often.

quote:

ya loving shoot too much demo is about oppurtunity if it doesnt show pop a loving 9mm

"I picked demo so I could shoot a pistol at people," said no one ever. Except the devs apparently.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Plan Z posted:

And it's a pain to relay that to the community. They'll either tell you to git gud, or show you some Youtube guide. Problem is, that's all one to three players most of the time. They don't realize just how stupid Hans gets when you have five or six people in your group. And since you can't create private matches, you're nearly always guaranteed three players by the end of the match. They just need Hans' melee damage on higher difficulty/more players scenarios and to tone down his poo poo so that he's not just focusing down one player to the point where they're impossible to heal. It's frustrating because we have a group of about 8 dudes who regularly hang in Mumble who want to play, and now nobody does, because nobody wants to fight Volter.

They've done a lot of good for this game. Right now, Volter and the inexplicable ammo stinginess are my only two big gripes.

Being "good" at Hans is literally kiting him for 10 minutes. He is so horrible in so many ways.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If Hans didn't have a bunch of "phases" where he went invulnerable he would actually be much better. Make his melee do less damage but heal him a little. That way avoiding it is incentivized but it's not nearly unavoidable instant death if you are the wrong class.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

At this point in my KF2 career I am using my high-level Support to gain XP in other classes until those classes themselves are fun to play/effective. Having extra carrying weight, high health, and the ability to give allies ammo actually makes just about any weapon setup workable. At difficulties above Hard I would probably be mostly a drag on the group though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Propaganda Hour posted:

The dumb thing about Hanz is that if you can outrun his melee then you can beat him. Medic, gunslinger, and berserker trivialize everything about Hanz on every difficulty as long as you know how to get him confused on geometry (doors, handrails, waist-high cover, etc) and kite reasonably well. If you cannot outrun his melee - ie every class except those written above - then GG, you stole fizzy lifting drinks and get nothing. Now, I'm not advocating for the ability to solo Hanz as every class, but it shouldn't be so loving black & white that a simple movespeed bonus is your only hope of success.

Also I realized last night that one of the most fun things about killing the Patty is all the adds that he spawns when he goes and heals. This is a horde based game! Why isn't Hanz a horde based boss? I mean, Hanz is a p spidery looking dude, make him spawn a FUCKLOAD of crawlers and lower his damage to compensate or something other than the status quo of "Talk poo poo, Get Hit," - Hanz Volter, 2015.

No, I want to have to drop 80 shotgun shells into the face of this turbonerd just to get him to red in the name of e-Bushido.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Even if you have a team that is good and ready for Hans it takes like 10+ minutes to kill him because it always boils down to the last 1-2 people needing to kill him by kiting him across the map. In the time it takes, you could've taken out (or been wiped by) Patty and be on wave 3 of the next map.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Killing Floor 2: Dehumanize Yourself and Face to Hans

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gromit posted:

You could switch to medic and play the complex game of "try and hit that player across the map when he seems to be actively avoiding being healed, or other players keep jumping in the way of my darts." I enjoy the meta-game of trying to position myself to be able to see the most players at once so I can heal them all when needed.

I was on a map where you could snipe across a huge courtyard, so I played Commando. Aside from 200 assists, it completely hosed up Hans by making him run back and forth across half the map before giving up on me, allowing him to be killed on Hard. It still took 10+ minutes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Are we going to see a game mode that discourages the normal tactic of experienced groups only playing 5% of these huge maps?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Killing Floor 2 is effectively done; what you are getting now are comprehensive patches and free content updates. Steam calls this Early Access, but it's actually a fully-functional game that you likely bought for $30 if you are posting in this thread. It has been out long enough that there are dozens of custom maps, and 5% of them are even approaching good.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Frankly if you want to level stuff, you don't need Timbo, you just need to play on custom map servers with those lovely untextured hallway maps where the monsters just drop on you in a line (i.e. almost all of them). At least then it's still a game and scratching an itch to blow things up.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kikas posted:

Why, the game looks great on them :v:

I have convinced my buddy with astoudingly poo poo PC to play on a free weekend.

A cool new PSX launch title!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Couple days ago I had a Hard game on Outpost where Hans got stuck on a couple of physics objects, then escaped them by teleporting over and two-shotting me with his melee strike. Four of the remaining five teammates tried futilely to continue the fight while the fifth, who was a level 25 Gunslinger, ran off to a far corner of the map. After two more of us went down, the 25 asked if we wanted him to finish off Hans for us. No response, so he let the other two die, then tried to kite Hans for 10 minutes until he accidentally stood on a cluster of grenades and got himself a shrapnel enema. His response? "lol".

Fuckin' pubbies...

The correct response to fighting Hans on Hard or above at this point is to lean into the punches and then get on with the next map.

Patty might actually be a little too easy, at least on Hard, but let me just re-iterate for the millionth time in this thread that Hans is awful and should be nerfed and probably changed a bit at first opportunity.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Support is the first one I've leveled to 25 and it's ridiculously good starting at about 10. Even their badwrong gun, the M4, can be used to headshot at range.

That brings me to a bit of an effortpost...

Fix demolitionist. Right now on Hard it's more effective for me to go to Support and use demo weapons with that, because I get:

The ability to use both an m40 and the RPG-7 aka what the Demo should have, why doesn't the Demo have this?
+50 health, free ammo for allies
Way better grenades (how is it loving possible to have better nades than the demo)

In totality, this is better than anything the Demo ever gets, and because level 0 demo weapons can splatter trash in 1 hit, there's almost no downside (because Demo is terrible at fighting scrakes, FPs, and bosses anyway).

Other things:

-Zed time actually makes it harder to land headshots with Commando and Gunslinger, the things they are supposed to do. Good thing Commando can extend Zed time! :downs: These classes should be using hitscan during Zed time by default. Being actually effective at your job shouldn't be a level 25 unlock on Commando, ffs.

-Please fix zeds hopping over barriers and becoming impossible to hit. This is more an issue on custom maps but the way it's implemented is awful.

-----

Other than that, I'm amazed at how many pubbies try to Rambo the levels, even on maps that are just giant cubes where you have line of sight to everything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basically I think the meta goes like this for class tiers of goodness:

Berserker. Get the most kills in almost any game/map, strong against every enemy in the game, a pro zerker is flat-out necessary to kill Hans right now. Has a bunch of ranged stuff that no one ever uses.

Medic - Gunslinger. You pretty much need a Medic on Suicidal+ or don't even bother. Pretty much the only class you will be yelled at for being poo poo at. Gunslinger on the other hand is like Commando except insanely good. Massive DPS, all their weapons are godly and ridiculously cheap. Pretty much never run out of ammo. Gunslinger's perks are kind of dumb, but that's a problem that almost every class has.

Support - Firebug. Really good classes, but currently dogmeat against Hans because you can't not get into his melee proc range. Playing support is a very low-skill affair, get the boomstick and save the AA-12 for magdumping fleshpounds and scrakes. Sometimes the spread on shotguns seems super buggy (missing dudes completely from 10 feet away).

Demolitionist. A guy with a rocket launcher who is bad at killing big guys and bosses. As discussed, it is better to slum it as another class with demo weapons than actually play demo.

Commando. Bad at its job in numerous inventive ways to be bad, almost impossible to get good DPS unless you aimbot. In my opinion not even very fun to use, unlike demo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

She Bangs the Drums posted:

yo uare so wrong on commando.
It has it's role. Long range trash, and mid teir ZED killer.
Lots of gun flexibility.
Not a big guy killer but that's not it's role.
Also ZED time extensions rule.
you dont "get" Commando

If you are not good at killing big guys you are a bad class, end of story. This is the only thing that really matters in this game, because no one is bad at clearing trash.

I guess Commando would be OK if gunslinger didn't exist. They are the exact same role except gunslinger is better at all of it.

quote:

Gunslinger is apparently amazing but I can't get a handle for it. I can aim like magic with the dual 9mms but using Gunslinger pistols throws me way off for some reason.

Well for starters everyone should turn on the recticle, and thereby never use ironsights, which are effectively a trap option in this game.

Several gunslinger perks are meh (shoot 'n scoot, lol) but it's so hilariously better than the Commando at everything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Psion posted:

Commando is one of those classes where if you have a good commando on your team you'll do really well and not be sure why exactly until you get a five-minute long zed time and go "oh yeah" and then at the scoreboard they have 300 kills, all of which are trash enemies that weren't murdering you while you faced down a double pound.

I can definitely tell when we're playing with A Good Commando vs no commando/a bad one, but you have to experience both to really figure it out. It's not as obvious as a firebug lighting everything on fire or whatever but the class can do some good work until it runs out of the arbitrarily low ammo count per gun.

As long as you single fire your Commando guns I doubt you'll run out of ammo on difficulties below Suicidal.

Lately I play just Hard because there's very little XP incentive to Suicidal and at Suicidal and above you get a lot of tryhard players getting into slapfights with people just trying to enjoy themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Laputanmachine posted:

What's a good perk level to start trying out suicidal? I'm at 11-12 with all perks now and was thinking of going for at least 15 before going above hard.

There's a good chance someone will try to votekick you if you are below 20.