Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'm officially hype again. Please kill my blue balls Tripwire.

Is the Berserker/melee rebuild coming in this patch as well? That would technically make it three new perks...

Yeah, the melee refactoring and perk balancing is coming out with the incinerate and detonate update. Some perks are getting more adjusted than others but, yeah, Berserker is going to get some serious changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
There's been A LOT of feedback from players who just want us to push the content ASAP and we totally get that. On the flip side we're really trying not to use early access as an excuse to dump incomplete and buggy content onto the community. As much as people lean on the excuse of "It's still in early access!" customers and press will absolutely slam a game if it's unstable and buggy. Right now we're just struggling to balance the pace of content release with our quality standards (I'm the QA Manager, in case people aren't aware, so that's basically my responsibility) and our own sanity.

The pace of updates that we had during the Beta isn't sustainable for the development team or QA team and every time we do an update it takes coder and QA time to make the patch that could be spent coding new features or making refinements so there's a balance that we're going to have to find in keeping the community interested and fed with new content and not killing ourselves or pushing out stuff that's not ready for public consumption yet.

As for releasing individual features when they're done, there's a lot of revision that's happening for things like perks but they're very rarely isolated changes. When we decided to tweak the berserker it wasn't with the intent that we'd just change the active perk lists and push out the changes once those were done. The changes are designed to be pushed out along with a full overhaul of the melee and parry systems, changes to the creature incap system, visual effects and sound cues to make it easier to tell when you've blocked and parried attacks and probably some stuff I'm forgetting. This might all be indicative of a problem with how we scope stuff at Tripwire but the intent is that instead of rolling out a bunch of band-aid fixes and small changes we wanted to get to the core of the problems with Berserker and address them in a meaningful way. ZED teleporting would be another great example of a problem that we want to address but we don't want to address it in a ad-hoc kind of way. New systems need to be designed, developed, tested and proven if we're going to make a serious change there because so much of the game balance is depending on that system being there.

Anyway, tl;dr - We know people want content more often and we'll see what we can do to adjust to that expectation without pouring hot garbage down your throats. We just might have to adjust how we approach things because we tend to think big and we don't consider early access as an excuse to release content we know is buggy.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
I think there's a lot of misinterpreted and optimistic reading of Yoshiro's post going on there. When the design is still working on the final values and the code team is doing the initial roll out of the feature we're talking about 1st iteration. At that stage there were at least 2 perk abilities that did absolutely nothing due to bugs in the implementation and the berserker health steal ability was absolutely game breaking because it applied itself when you used any weapon (I have to admit that a vampric AA-12 was pretty :unsmigghh: ) I'd still not want to release the berkserker perk in it's current state until we get some more bugs ironed out.

Fact remains that the player base is really thirsty for new content and information about this new content and we're pretty much learning this as we go. We've even started including our task days remaining in the What We Are Up To posts so that there's some transparency into how far from the finish line we are but there's always room for improvement and more meaningful and clear communication.

edit: Just to be clear, I think it's totally understandable how people could think we were way further along given how Yoshiro described the work being done. Sorry I don't have more positive news on that front.

Questioner86 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 31, 2015

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
If you think we're going to pull some absolute bullshit like that then me saying we're not going to do that thing is pretty much worthless because Tripwire is not held to the iron clad promises made on the Something Is Awful Comedy Web Forums.

If you've got some sneaking suspicions that we're going to do some moronic cash grab then keep your money (or try to get a refund from Steam) and sit tight while we finish the game and decide when the game is out of early access if it's worth your money. I mean, let's be real for a second and acknowledge that there's going to be DLC for KF2 at some point (the whole reason we were able to release years of free content for KF1 for years was because of those character and weapon packs) but considering how successful KF2 has been for us so far it would be pretty stupid for us to burn all that good will and positive press by doing some bait and switch. Especially when you consider that there's a PS4 version of KF2 on the horizon with potentially millions of more users becoming aware of Killing Floor and the first thing they'll hear is how we were the lovely company who screwed all their PC customers.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Pfft, the whole reason I post here is that the goons in the KF thread have always been pretty decent compared to the other internet comment toilets.

People can talk poo poo all they want because I know :tinfoil: when I hear it and you've gotta focus on being cool to the the other 95% of your community that is capable of being happy instead.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

drrockso20 posted:

So does the Microwave Gun just set things on fire or will it make Zeds it kills explode like an over cooked hot dog?

:wink:

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Still cranking along on the content update but just as a heads up (before anyone sees the "Update Queued" in Steam and has a heart attack) we're planning on releasing a hotfix today with improved SLI and Crossfire support.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=111224

Have fun and hopefully we'll have some news about the content patch for you soon. :backtowork:

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Huge thing that you can't overlook is that those numbers are Development team days and don't include the QA team. Now, my QA team has been working in parallel this whole time with the development team but we still have to do our final QA pass on all the content going into the update. That means that any feature or system that is still not finished at this point needs to be tested and who knows what we'll find. I've mentioned earlier that first pass on some stuff just doesn't work, like a whole perk skill just won't work on-line or something equally awful. So we'll still need to QA the build before it goes out and that might be really a really smooth process to get it ready to go out or it might be a mess. I have a feeling you'll end up seeing a guest What We Are Up To post some time in the near future letting people know how the QA process is going.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Things are cranking right along and Yoshiro will continue to drop information as soon as he can.

Things are busy for the whole QA department and the company as a whole. While we're doing our thing some people have moved onto work for the next update and some people are iterating on content Incinerate & Detonate. Performance optimizations, tweaks based on internal playtest data, refinements and bug fixes are still rolling in but soon we'll start slowing down the checkins to only critical fixes and start getting the build ready for the public. I showed off some of the new features to some friends I had over at my house this weekend and seeing their reactions got me really excited for you all to see the new content. Hopefully you'll think it was worth the wait once you get a chance to see all the cool new stuff.

edit: Just kidding, I'm actually dead and I'm taking the source code with me to the grave.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Rumor is that the update drops today. Questioner hasn't been seen in a while so that seems plausible. There's some chatter about an "opt-in beta" in the future on the official forums that has everyone going apeshit

I was at a wedding in Vegas this weekend so I was too busy doing party stuff to post. :toot:

But yes, we're working on making the opt-in Beta available ASAP.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

*screenshots this post, posts it in the official KF2 forums*

"Hey, I know we've been friends for years but I can't come to your wedding. Yeah. The people who post on our forums wouldn't approve my time off request. Sorry, guys."

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Here's the changelog for the preview, ya smart asses.

Part 1 http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/801992841516139803

Part 2 http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/801992841516140951

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Please, there's no need to fight over who is the bigger poo poo poster.

You can ALL take me to prom.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Yeah, it means that once the magazine is seated in the weapon it counts as reloaded if you switch away from the weapon/interrupt with a bash/throw a grenade. Sure, if the weapon was empty this means you never have to chamber a round but it's not faster to load the weapon - interrupt the reload with a bash - Fire than it is to load the weapon - chamber a round - fire.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

SpaceCommie posted:

Tripwire need to set up an MGSV/Killing Floor 2 collaboration like the Chivalry one.

I need to play as a Gunslinger in an Ocelot skin.

Well greased chamber: All your gunslinger weapons reload 30% faster

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Get you some.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
I'm literally laughing out loud at my desk because Steam severs/community/cloud always shits the bed on Tuesday nights.

Well, the update is out once Steam is back!

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Unclean009 posted:

How do dedicated servers work with this beta update?

You need to opt into the preview build in SteamCMD or the batch file you use to update your servers. If you're not on the server mailing list you should get on that list because we always put instructions like that on the server e-mail list before we push out updates.

Your command for updating your server should look like this in order to be opted into the beta

"App_Update 232130 -beta preview"

The format is always "app_update appID# -beta betabranchname -betapassword password"

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Glad everyone is playing in the beta and giving feedback, I am reading all of it. :toot:

Yoshiro made a post explaining the intent of the ammo changes and I'll paraphrase to give you the reasoning behind it. There is going to be more iteration but the data we've been collecting has shown a couple of things that make the game less fun.

In general, there were too many weapon and ammo pickups in the world. This allowed people to neglect buying ammo during the early waves, which effects how frequently they're able to upgrade their weapons. We're making changes to a few systems to try and fine tune what waves people are upgrading their weapons. We're cool with a skilled player buying a weapon a wave early but if you're getting your tier 4 weapon at the end of the second wave the game is going to be a snooze fest since the game works best when you're getting the "correct" weapons for the ZEDs that are in the wave you're playing, low level guys get killed by your starting weapon or pistol, mid-level guys get murdered by your mid-tier weapons and the big scary ZEDs start spawning just in time for you to have gotten your high tier weapons. Once we get everything tuned in hopefully we won't see people running around the map kiting ZEDs looking for weapons to sell and we won't see people finishing the first couple of waves using only ammo they've scavenged and getting high tier weapons WAY too early.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Does the new FP charging attack block damage or what? Where he holds his hands in front of him?

He covers his vulnerable power core with his big metal poundy arms, which I think is cool as gently caress.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
The resisting/vulnerable spots other than head shots JUST went in with the beta, so you're not stupid for never noticing. That system is loving awesome and lets us do all kinds of cool poo poo like making power cores vulnerable to bullets, making shots bounce off poundy arms and making Husks explode when you shoot them in their fuel tanks.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

ClonedPickle posted:

Also, this has probably been brought up internally, but why have random weapons spawn in the world if they're going to be so rare? Are they important to include because it's a thing KF1 did? Is hunting them down for extra dosh supposed to be necessary to generate a proper economy, or should it just provide a nice but thin bonus?

This is what the balance hinges on. The reward for finding the weapon should be "cool, I found a useful weapon" that will allow you to supplement what you're currently using. The economy should not, for a typical player, require finding stuff on the ground and selling them inject more dosh into the economy. I say the typical player because there are always going to be some SERIOUS KILLING FLOOR HoE STRATS that basically require that poo poo but that's not 99% of the people who will play Killing Floor. Fortunately we have analytic data that can help us tune all if this and find those sweet spots to make sure people are getting the right weapons, making meaningful choices between weapons/armor/more ammo, and being challenged in an exciting way.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

az posted:

So something entirely unrelated to the current meta and balance. What did you do to character voices? Everybody is quieter, muffled, less chatty. And Anton's voice better be a placeholder cause it's Dj Skully with some of the personalized lines cut out.

To quote myself from the TWI forums: There are a number of audio balancing tasks that are still outstanding in the Preview build right now (placeholder voice for Anton, non-final audio balancing, etc.). Our sound designer is planning on a pretty extensive pass before the "release" version of the patch goes out.

Volt Catfish posted:

Are they still wiping perks? It's the only thing preventing me from buying this probably amazing game.

Nope. We announced at E3 that we were confident in the stats/XP system now and won't be wiping any perk progress.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
New preview patch going out for the weekend. Servers should be updating now and the client update will be out soon.

In the mean time you can chew on the change list: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=111868

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
The Firebug hasn't been out for a week yet so there aren't a lot of concrete plans to tweak balance on the perk yet, just to fix features that aren't working as intended and improving performance and stability. We'll be tweaking the perks just like we did with the first 4 over the course of early access and after the full release of the game.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Psion posted:

this is a good changelist. I'm glad to see patches coming at this speed, too. Can you explain this one though?

'Fixed Berserker Smash, Block and Furious Defender skills not working as intended'

how were they not working right?

I don't remember the breakdowns of each one off the top of my head but the % on all of these were way off when you played online. Like, 30% was 100%, 50% was 0%, etc. They were just busted to hell and it totally borked the balance of the perks.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

brocretin posted:

It does not, but it definitely should.

IMO all the perks should get bonuses to classes of weapons rather than just their own guns. Multiclassing is fun!

I really like it when people play off-perk but we need to be careful that we don't make only certain perk combos attractive so that we can encourage people to try out new stuff rather than sticking to the stuff that's buffed by their current perk. Definitely something we'll experiment with in the future!

New preview update later today with some bug fixes that address some of the balance concerns I've seen in this thread. Grenade pistol isn't any good for demo? That might be because it wasn't applying the impact damage for the projectiles on-line. Whoops.

Anyway, updates are shrinking in size as we get closer to the release version of the patch but there are still a couple of nice fixes. Have fun!

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
New Preview patch is up. Servers should be updating as I type this.

Short change log if you're into that kinda thing - http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=112061

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Psion posted:

Also really liking the pace of beta fixes. can this be the new normal for the rest of EA?

Sure. :suicide:

In all seriousness, we can't update the game every 72 hours unless we just decide to abandon making new content for the game entirely and that's not the plan. I'm not going to get into project management garbage but every time we release a build it takes resources away from completing content so there's a sweet spot to be found that doesn't involve the development and QA teams working 12 hours a day from now until content complete but is still frequent enough that the players stay engaged. Some developers can pull of an update every week but the ones I'm thinking of are literally 20 times the size of Tripwire and it's not a sustainable pace for a team our size.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
I don't know how many Killing Floor fans are also Red Orchestra fans but TWI got pretty burned for the bad launch of RO2. That was before my time at the company (the Game of the Year update for RO2 was my first major launch at Tripwire) but the owners of the company and a lot of the fans of the RO franchise remember that black eye and all the work that had to go into patching the game and patching up relations with the community. We STILL get comments asking about how people can have faith in KF2/Rising Storm 2/Whatever we announce because "What about the bad RO2 launch in 2011?" There's a definite reason that they decided they decided they needed to hire a QA Manager and why we're so stringent on the quality level of content we let go out the door now. Even with the label of Early Access I don't think the company is in a hurry to release buggy or incomplete content to the community because we know that even before the game is complete we WILL be judged on it.

Hence the approach of TWI Early Access Done Right being a limited but relatively polished content set with more content in coming months.

Not looking to get into a debate about how people think we should do early access or suggestions on how to do it better, just trying to give some context into why the company approaches early access the way it does. This is also our first early access so we're learning and adjusting as we go, as Tripwire always has.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
The update (the real update and not the preview/beta) is going live!

Thanks for all the help, feedback and bug reports during the preview. I'll see you all in-game.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Do you happen to know what's going to happen with regards to switching from the beta branch to the main branch? Is the beta branch getting killed (which AFAIK will send everyone over to the main branch and make people only download the difference between the current beta and the main), or will we have to manually switch from the beta branch to the main one?

Also, good work! This was a really good beta for the patch.

Preview branch is nuked. Should force you to the main branch which is now one revision higher than the preview branch was.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Hard is the same difficulty level that was Normal in KF1, in my opinion, and Hard is the new Normal. I level up new perks starting in Hard, personally, though I occasionally get vote kicked by pubs for being too low level (lol).

:ssh:

Nobody likes being told they're playing on easy.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
There's something incredibly satisfying about running around with a Pulverizer and a Microwave Gun. My buddy does it all the time but that's because he's Salamanders for life and can't resist playing with a Thunder Hammer AND a Melta Gun.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Psion posted:

so, Hans.

I've posted about this before and I think I can narrow it down: To me, Hans' health scaling feels like a problem with 5 or 6 players (on Suicidal) - but it's doable on every solo or 3/4 person run barring anything like him pinning you against geometry. He feels 'fair' up to 4 and then 'not so much' at 5 and 6 players.

Some of the perceived difficulty from a 6 player Hans may be player skill related, but can someone find (questioner hi) and post how the hell his scaling works? I'd like to know how it actually works and see if that lines up with how I feel it works.

I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but it's worth taking a peek at if it feels broken. If some some reason he's getting 10x as much health going from 4 to 5 players there's a problem. There are a couple of scaling systems in effect that I can make an effort to explain.

Solo scaling: There are some things that only happen on solo to make the game playable without backup. Your syringe is more potent, spawning pace is adjusted, certain ZEDs have their damage output greatly reduced so they don't just combo you into pulp instantly. This is why I always kinda roll my eyes at "SOLO HoE WORLD FIRST ELITE STRATS!" because solo is absolutely the easiest way to play the game even on HoE.

Player scaling: Wave size, health on some ZEDs (not trash) and spawn rates/groups are increased. ZED damage doesn't scale based on the number of players (2-6), so they don't hit harder but there are more ZEDs and many of them are harder to kill. Bosses, Fleshpounds and Scrakes gain a significant amount of health due to player scaling.

Difficulty scaling: Health on most ZEDs is REDUCED on Normal. Health on some ZEDs (not trash), ZED damage, ZED speed and spawn rates/groups are increased with difficulty. Dosh bounties for killing ZEDs and surviving waves are decreased with difficulty. Various attacks, combos and behaviors unlock for all ZEDs as difficulty is increased. Clots are more likely to sprint in reaction to being shot or to sprint immediately after spawning, crawlers evade, husks use their flame thrower, gorefasts string together longer attack combos, etc.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

will the perks and exp be reset after early access ends?

No.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Don't even get me started YES I KNOW THE GUY IN THE GAME CALLED IT A CLIP AND NOT A MAGAZINE, CRAWL BACK TO TFR AND DIE SOME PEOPLE CALL THEM CLIPS

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Internet Explorer posted:

That would actually be a hilarious perk for the Gunslinger.

:ocelot:

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Jack Trades posted:

It pisses me off how the game likes to matchmake me into custom map servers even though I always set Server Type to Standard. I end up having to shut the game down in task manager cause I'm not waiting for the download to finish just to leave and search for a new game.

There's an outstanding task to fix this in the UI but in the mean time just open your console with ` and type disconnect rather than shutting it down in the task manager.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Stanley Pain posted:

I don't that weapons are hitscan at all.

Most of the commando weapons and medic weapons are hitscan outside of ZED time. Shotgun penetration is a major part of of the support class so those weapons aren't hit scan even in normal time dilation and that's really all there is to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Yeah, to clarify the red "cannot be parried" attacks can still be mitigated and damage is reduced, you just can't put the ZED in a constant state of stumbling around looking like an rear end in a top hat while your entire team unloads into their rear end while they're doing exactly zero damage.