Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Problem description: Over the past two months Firefox has been rendering strangely, mostly when switching from tab to tab, but occasionally when browsing a single page. Sometimes when switching tabs, the screen will fail to repaint, and in pages with lots of animated GIFs, images that had successfully loaded will stop animating partway through, or fail to render entirely. The latter has caused issues when I switch to other sites, causing images to fail to display despite the files having successfully downloaded from their servers. When I trigger this, it will also prevent Firefox's other forms (options menus, etc) from loading/displaying correctly, requiring me to kill the process and restart. This is what it can sometimes look like, the previous tab's content (Hitbox) with a few elements of the current tab being drawn on it (forum avatars):

Attempted fixes: I tried rebooting, clearing the cache and history, launching Firefox in Safe Mode, disabling the Firefox extensions, reinstalling Firefox, disabling off-main thread composition (as suggested by googling), disabling hardware acceleration, and updating my graphics drivers to their latest versions. Nothing's worked and I'm still able to reliably trigger the issue.

Recent changes: I have not made any.

--

Operating system: Windows 7, 64-bit

System specs: Home-built.
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card
Memory: 8 GB
Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yep

Neurion fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
Just to confirm this isn't an issue limited to your system. I've had this today, and I wasn't sure if it was from a new installation of Windows. It's almost like artifacting on a tab.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, I've got this poo poo going on as well. It's really loving annoying. Maybe today's 37.0.2 update will fix it, but I've literally only just installed it.

E: It doesn't fix it.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 21, 2015

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Holy poo poo, I was coming on here to post the same problem myself. I'm glad it's not just me. Maybe it will be fixed if this becomes a trend. Up until a few weeks ago I had no problem with this until it just started acting this way.

I tried clearing my cookies, my cache, and I've even tried refreshing firefox. The third option worked very briefly, until it just upped and started doing it again.

I've tested the same links on Chrome and the images and gifs load with absolutely no issue at all. All I'm running for plugins are noscript and adblock plus.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 23, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Firefox Beta is working fine for what it's worth.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1031537

Tried this, both on hardware acceleration on then off. Neither worked. :sigh:

And I don't know if it's just me or if others are experiencing this but the problem seems to be getting worse as the days go on. It'd sometime take a while for images and gifs to begin bugging out back when this problem started but now it just seems to be screwing up almost immediately.

EDIT EDIT: Trying out firefox beta and THAT doesn't seem to be working either. A thought occurs, could it possibly be related to my connection to the net itself? I recently got a redirect on my browser to upgrade my browser from time warner and they sent me a new router, I still have yet to hook it all up but... there's an installation disk in the mix now and that sort of puts me on guard; what with the possibility of logging software, possible malware/adware and poo poo like that. I might be blowing smoke out my rear end but considering the news nowadays and things coming to light, it doesn't seem too crazy.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 24, 2015

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I doubt it's caused by that, since I'm in Europe and pretty much nothing changed with my Internet.
I think it's more related to tabs somehow leaking into each other, as the issue usually occurs for me when changing tabs. Especially if I have a bunch of tabs with images open, it'll keep displaying the previous tab's contents and I have to switch back and forth again, which will lag quite a bit.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Well, I closed a fuckton of tabs that I wasn't using and this seems to have fixed my problem. Images and gifs are loading fine.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
For what it's worth, I don't see this issue on Windows 8.1 with Firefox 38 and a Geforce GTX 680 with 347.52 drivers. I DO see something similar in Chrome from time to time on my left monitor that is powered by my Intel HD graphics on my Core i7 4790K, using the March drivers. It look like there's a newer release so I should go try that.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I went and updated my drivers to the recently released :rice: GTA V special enhanced :pcgaming: Catalyst drivers and it seems to have nearly completely fixed the problem and greatly improved Firefox' responsiveness as well.
So give updating to the latest (beta) drivers a shot, I guess.

E: Previous drivers were the 14.9 beta drivers, so they weren't even that old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Unfortunately for me I'm experiencing the same problems again even on reduced tab numbers.

• Locked thread