Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Naraku Within

NINJA SLAYER is a series of short novels written by the (possibly/probably fictional) writing duo Bradley Bond and Philip "Ninj@" Morzez that can be read on the Otakumode website, which was then "officially translated" onto Twitter and published by Enerbrain/Kadokawa Shoten. It tells the tale of Kenji Fujikido, a lowly office worker whose family is murdered by a group of rogue ninja in the cyberpunk future of Neo Saitama, who then becomes possessed by the spirit Naraku to form Ninja Slayer, arbiter of ninja vengeance.

NINJA SLAYER FROM ANIMATION is the web series based on the novels produced by Studio Trigger and directed by Akira Amemiya, airing in 12 minute segments on Nicovideo and Funimation's website. It's also available via Hulu. It translates the goofy, incredibly cheesy insanity of the novels using a combination of animation styles for comedic and stylistic effect, namely the incredible cost-cutting style of Trigger's Inferno Cop and high-impact, colorful, and stylish fighting scenes.

If you weren't a fan of Inferno Cop and don't want to sit through the comedy/animation style just for the action sequences, you might want to skip this. If you're a fan of Inferno Cop or are a Trigger fanperson in general, you're definitely in for a treat. I know that I personally had a giant smile on my face the whole way through the first episode.

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks to this show I thought about ninjas flipping out and uppercuting people for the first time in about 15 years.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

The color choices are making me physically ill

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I liked Inferno Cop, but I'm not really digging this.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I enjoyed the first episode. The effort put into building up a climax that dwindles into cheap explosions, the awful dialogue that makes fun of the foreign perspective of ninjas, and the music are what got to me, among other things. It was a lot of fun.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
The neon and puke-inducing colour pallete are amazing.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

in the neon city of tokyo everything is neon

edit:
live action adaptation coming soon to a theater near you

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 20, 2015

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I was a big fan of Inferno Cop and I love this. Every time I rewatch it I find some new delightfully silly detail like the training wheels on Myrmidon's bike. Gonna follow that one closely.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
So is it like a dude who slays ninjas? Or a ninja who slays, in general?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The whole joke is that it's japanese culture translated into american culture translated back into japanese culture, and now unto american culture. And it's great.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Spidder posted:

Yes.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I enjoyed episode 1 a lot

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spidder posted:

He is a ninja who slays other ninjas.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Boris did the ED song and apparently it's going to be a new song every week from different Japanese metal bands, which is the coolest part about the show probably

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Holding out for a weird as poo poo Dir En Grey track.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

He is a ninja who slays other ninjas.

Calling it now: the morose Gainax ending is NS realizing that the evil is inside of him as well and committing seppuku.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The middle part of the episode where nothing funny happens I kinda spaced out during, but the beginning and ending were great. The world needs more Inferno Cop.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Silentman0 posted:

Calling it now: the morose Gainax ending is NS realizing that the evil is inside of him as well and committing seppuku.

Actually he already tried to kill himself in the first episode, remember? He immediately attacked his reflection upon realising he was a ninja.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm sorry but no. You don't give us a brilliant PV only to do this sort of stupid bullshit.

I honestly thought better of Trigger.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 21, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm sorry but no. You don't give us a brilliant PV only to do this sort of stupid bullshit.

Is your problem that they made it Inferno Cop and Inferno Cop isn't good enough for you, or is this sort of stupid bullshit something else

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

ConanThe3rd posted:

people like you make ninja slayer even better

muh serious animes

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wait that initial preview had hella garish colors and was in 4:3.

That seems like it's not too far off from what they were shooting for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RottenK posted:

people like you make ninja slayer even better

muh serious animes
maybe he was just disappointed by it dude

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

Wait that initial preview had hella garish colors and was in 4:3.

That seems like it's not too far off from what they were shooting for.

It also had animation, which this does not for the most part. I was also really disappointed by it because I thought it was gonna some sick grungy OVA throwback but instead it's more inferno cop. Which is fine I guess, I just wanted them to make an actual tv show again. At this point I'm just waiting for LWA2

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

To be fair, LWA1 was paid for by taxpayers and 2 is paid for by fans, and Ninja Slayer has a noticeably higher budget than Inferno Cop, which is to say it has a budget. This is pretty obviously a semi-for fun, "make money out of nothing" stop gap while they work on their next real thing. I'd much rather prefer they make this than some licensed moe shlock to make the money for something real. Trigger is still an up and coming studio that needs to scrimp and save everywhere they can, so they might as well make it funny.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

True, I'd rather they use their down time to make something they like instead of that terribly boring daily battles show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I was also really disappointed by it because I thought it was gonna some sick grungy OVA throwback but instead it's more inferno cop.

My gut tells me that was originally the intention but something happened late into production so they had to pull something together with the animation they did have and put the rest together Inferno Cop style. Take this part:

When I first saw this gif I thought that there was going to be some kind of audio cue when the style changed to spice up the joke, but there was nothing, the music stayed the same and the sound effects didn't become more exaggerated or anything. This is again a total guess, but I think they had the music and effects completed and timed as if it was going to be fully animated, but when it became clear that the animation style they were planing on wasn't going to be completed they resorted to the silliness that makes up most of the show.

There's a lot that they're not doing that could sell the switch in styles, sort of the same way Inferno Cop turned it's limited style into an asset, but they aren't. I kind of like how weird it is, but I really doubt that if they decided to mix styles like this from the start that we'd have the same kind of show.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm obviously the audience for this because that gif. of 'actual animation' -> 'cardboard cut-outs' get funnier every time it loops.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silentman0 posted:

This is pretty obviously a semi-for fun, "make money out of nothing"
im questioning the effectiveness of this plan

and honestly that one light novel adaptation wasn't the worst poo poo ever or anything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought it was okay, that rant was definitely the highlight though.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

Endorph posted:

im questioning the effectiveness of this plan

It probably wouldn't work a third time, since they're probably going to need LWA2 to pick up the slack, unless they can make Kickstarter a viable business model (they can't).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silentman0 posted:

It probably wouldn't work a third time, since they're probably going to need LWA2 to pick up the slack, unless they can make Kickstarter a viable business model (they can't).
did it work a first time? like im legitimately curious if they made any money whatsoever on inferno cop. it just seems kind of like a thing that happened.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's a very good chance that the most profitable thing Trigger has made so far is the light novel adaption and we have to come to terms with that fact.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

How well did Kill la Kill do in Japan? It seems to be decently popular stateside, but I haven't seen any numbers.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

KLK 11,705 BD average
Inou 1289

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

There's a very good chance that the most profitable thing Trigger has made so far is the light novel adaption and we have to come to terms with that fact.

Kill la Kill definitely did well. It sold blu Rays, they got Netflix money and got it on Cartoon Network, so they have way more market exposure. I bet kill la kill actually did extremely well considering the budget it probably had.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I was assuming that they got paid before hand and that the show was overall cheaper, I don't really know of course.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

My gut tells me that was originally the intention but something happened late into production so they had to pull something together with the animation they did have and put the rest together Inferno Cop style.
Can that feasibly happen? If they planned this higher quality OVA thing, I'm not sure it's realistically plausible for them to just blow all the funds on a few scenes of decent animation. Can funding get cut to this degree?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe? Like if scheduling changed a bunch of people in the studio got shifted to a different project last minute and the scope of it changed? Would make sense considering it was originally scheduled to be an actual show airing on tv before it was unceremoniously dumped on Nico as an ONA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

That sounds like what might have happened then, if it was scheduled different to what was planned.

• Locked thread