Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I built up trade resources in that dwarf area to the west when I got those guys to Confederate with me surprisingly early in the game. But so far only empire is trading with me and border princes are the only faction that I can potentially trade with but they're being dicks. Why can't I trade with other factions? I have a few trading posts and a port.

So far I'm Confederated with the dwarves in the West and North of my starting province. I have a lot of territory but military tech is lagging. It's difficult to figure out how to set up the buildings to unlock stuff without stifling your economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What do shields, armored, etc do in game? What's the advantage to using great weapons vs shields?

How about that elevated advantage? What's it translate to? I see a lot of properties for units but no definitions which is confusing.

Quarrelers are great. Should I stick with them through the whole dwarf campaign? Or should I be upgrading to thunderers?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Is it ever worth it for my dwarf provinces to take those +growth buildings and demolish then once you are pretty close to maxing out the main town buildings? There are only so many building slots and many high tier units require so many particular buildings in that province.

People also say to invest in walls but it's tough balancing between a town that can defend itself, a town that can help make money, and a town that gives access to high tier units. Then you have those unique buildings each capital gets as well.

The grudge system gets a little frustrating because apparently an enemy raiding yout territory creates a grudge. Several kinds aren't easy to resolve quickly which builds up penalties.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lol at the Dwarf Bride follower.

Apparently the dwarves are really into the :btroll: because the dowry is an amount of gold=the bride.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm pretty sure I destroyed all the Greenskins but I didn't get any kind of :toot: message, victory, or anything. I figured wiping out the Greenskins was one of the victory conditions in the Dwarf campaign?

Also, dealing with agents is a pain in the rear end. You get some dickstabber up to level 14, and your level 1 agent has a very poor chance of assassinating him and a good chance of getting hurt in the attempt/assassinated back. My Thanes seem to spend more time recovering then actually doing poo poo.

Ironbreakers seem like the best defensive unit in the game. Great stats, good vs any kind of enemy charge AND they chuck satchel charges at the attackers on the way in.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Longbeards also get an AoE leadership passive, which frees up your lord to go fight elsewhere while your army stays solid. Being immune to terror makes them useful vs undead since it seems like in a pitched duel you can just hold them down until they fall apart.

Dwarves seem to go from good leadership to nearly fearless with upgrades.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

toasterwarrior posted:

Great Weapon Quarrellers are baaad, though I wonder if giving them Anti-Large melee is going too far in the other direction.

I really don't get the point of them. The whole benefit of quarrelers is that they can trade fire with more squishy ranged units and reliably come out ahead. Losing the shield removes this advantage.

Great weapons in general seem iffy. They're more expensive, make the unit more vulnerable, and are only more effective vs some targets.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What's a good way to game auto resolve in either direction? Making it favor you allows you to speed things up with crushing multiple enemies. Having it underestimate you can bait enemy stacks into attacking you rather than running away.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Units that aren't 'shielded' will take more damage vs ranged attacks. So that's a consideration.

Priority is based on your army. I'm currently playing Dwarves so for me cavalry and flyers need to be taken out before they tie up my ranged and artillery units. Ranged cavalry will try to kite your melee units, so definitely shoot at them.

Shielded guys should go front and center, while great weapon/armor piercing guys attack from the sides. Look at the stats of the units and you can get a good idea of what they do. For example:

Warriors, Longbeards, and Ironbreakers are good at not dying/running away but don't do the most damage. So use them as blockers.

Great axe variants, hammerers, slayers are DPS units but much more vulnerable to getting shot/hit so you want to position them o they don't directly get attacked by the enemy but are close enough to pile in. Remember ap units like these are much more effective against tough armored units and can kill them before they wear down your lone troops.

Since quarrelers can arc their shots you can have them behind line troops. Position them do you won't have to turn them much to maximize the amount of time they are shooting.

Cannons and thunderers need more direct Los so it can be tricky to put them somewhere they'll get a clear shot and not vulnerable to getting rushed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Isn't there already a sack+ occupy option already though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Korgan posted:

You should mention something about this being the first of three planned games that are going to eventually have all the warhammer races on one very large map, so those who love skaven or elves or whoever don't need to worry about their favourites not being included right now.

I eagerly anticipate the game will bloat into a dozen-faction massive map 36 hour poopsock marathon to beat. The game is already impressively huge; adding more provinces and factions will make it ginormous!

• Locked thread