Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

I haven't seen my cat since last night, his dinner is untouched, and I have no idea why he's not in the house. He doesn't have a collar because he fussed with it when he had one and he's not chipped because he I'm a loving moron and I figured there was no point since he showed zero desire to go outside. Ironically I was waffling about having it done at his next wellness exam in a few months just in case. What are my chances of seeing him return to the house after a few days? What else can I do? Do lost animal flyers even work? There are so many strays in this neighborhood I'm worried he will get his rear end kicked and forced out of this territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

I recommend the first thing to do is to go to the pound ASAP and make sure they know that you've lost your cat.
Secondly, I'm not a cat person but, try putting out some food or treats (as long as it doesn't attract rats).
Call your cats name softly where going up and down the street. Make sure the neighbors are aware of this and print flyers (they do work).
While looking for your cat, even if it is daylight, carry a flashlight to look into dark places.
Try your backyard (sometimes they may have found a new place in the backyard)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Flyers definitely help, but you might want to wait for kitty to be gone for two or three days. Put a picture of the cat, a brief description, and your phone number on. Hang them near local bus stops (especialy school bus stops, kids keep a better eye out then adults) and shops. Pop them in the mailboxes of all the neighbors on your block.

If you're part of an HOA, they usually have 'lost pet alerts' they can e-mail to homeowners. If you have a decent police presence in your neighborhood, letting the cops know about your cat helps too. I had one friend who's dog was returned to her by helpful cops who had to follow him through half a swamp, probably because she delivered her 'lost dog' flyers on top of a box of Krispy Kremes.

Also definitely alert the local shelter.

Since it's getting nice, spend the afternoon/twilight hours outside, just sitting around. Bring a book or play on the phone, just be out there listening and keeping an ear out. Also, instead of treats or food, put kitty's litter box outside. They can smell it a good ways off, and it wont attract other cats like food does.

Hopefully the cat comes back soon. Keep hope, it can take awhile. They have a habit of returning when you least expect it. I had one disappear for three months once, we thought for sure her elderly soft new york butt was dead in the middle of this southern swamp we relocated to. Nope, found her hanging out in a ditch while I was walking the dogs in a different part of the neighborhood one nice day.

http://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Lost-Cat

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 23, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

I went around the neighborhood. No luck. It's pretty cold this week so I think he's hunkered down somewhere. I went around ringing his favorite bell, looking under cars and porches, going door to door showing pictures on my phone. I called the county SPCA and they're going to put out a lost pet alert on Facebook, as well as some other organizations, to which I am encouraged to add pictures.

Every so often life throws me lessons not to take anything for granted. I should have spent more time with him. I shouldn't have gotten so annoyed with him the other day. I should have been a better cat owner. I should have loving chipped him. I just never thought this could happen because he didn't show interest in going outside ever before. My parent's cat, on the other hand, is an escape artist and they got her chipped as soon as she started trying to get out the door.

Well, gently caress me, right? You never loving know. Lesson learned. Chip my drat pets.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 23, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I went around the neighborhood. No luck. It's pretty cold this week so I think he's hunkered down somewhere. I went around ringing his favorite bell, looking under cars and porches, going door to door showing pictures on my phone. I called the county SPCA and they're going to put out a lost pet alert on Facebook, as well as some other organizations, to which I am encouraged to add pictures.

Every so often life throws me lessons not to take anything for granted. I should have spent more time with him. I shouldn't have gotten so annoyed with him the other day. I should have been a better cat owner. I should have loving chipped him. I just never thought this could happen because he didn't show interest in going outside ever before. My parent's cat, on the other hand, is an escape artist and they got her chipped as soon as she started trying to get out the door.

Well, gently caress me, right? You never loving know. Lesson learned. Chip my drat pets.

Well, the chip wouldn't do anything unless someone found the cat, brought him to a vet or shelter, which hopefully would scan him. It's not like a RFID or something (which would be nice...)

Give yourself a break. It's a cat, they run out sometimes. Make flyers, distribute them tomorrow.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well, the chip wouldn't do anything unless someone found the cat, brought him to a vet or shelter, which hopefully would scan him. It's not like a RFID or something (which would be nice...)

Give yourself a break. It's a cat, they run out sometimes. Make flyers, distribute them tomorrow.

When we got him neutered in the fall, I forgot to ask them to chip him and they didn't mention anything so it totally slipped my mind. On the way home I thought "Oh poo poo I forgot to have them chip him. Oh well, I'll just have them do it the next time I bring him in if I think he needs one." He hasn't had to go to the vet since.

I'm beside myself because I snapped at him the other day when he got into my box spring, rattled around, and woke me up at rear end o'clock in the morning. I evicted him from my room and shut the door. Then I had trouble going back to sleep so I was tired and testy all day and I blamed him. And now he's gone.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My family have had cats vanish for a few days in the past and they tend to turn up but still if it is a usually indoor cat he might be lost so flyers and the like will help. I would also check your neighbors garages and sheds to make sure he hasn't wandered in and fallen asleep only to find that the door is locked now. Had that happen a few times as well.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
Try putting a box out(or cat carrier) that he can get into with a bowl of water and stuffed with some blankets/shirts/etc that smell like you/him. Don't put food out, it'll just attract other animals which might scare him away too.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

He came back safe and sound! We had put out the carrier with some of our T-shirts in it and checked it before we went upstairs. Lo and behold, there he was. He smells like motor oil so he was probably under a car somewhere. Everyone, thanks for the sound advice and words of encouragement!

He probably had a really awesome adventure because he wants out again.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 24, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pixelated Dragon posted:

He came back safe and sound! We had put out the carrier with some of our T-shirts in it and checked it before we went upstairs. Lo and behold, there he was. He smells like motor oil so he was probably under a car somewhere.

He probably had a really awesome adventure because he wants out again.

Yay! So glad he's back.

Might want to get him checked out at the vet sooner rather then later for that microchip. Cars can have pretty nasty chemicals in and around them that cats can ingest. Like anti-freeze and diesel. Just keep an eye on him, plenty of fresh water and a little bit of food. His poops might get interesting as well.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
Glad to hear it worked! Maybe look into harnessing him to take him out safely too after you get him chipped.

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

Yay for happy endings!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So now that he's back, ETA until getting him chipped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

khy posted:

So now that he's back, ETA until getting him chipped?

I made an appt for Thursday. Wellness exam and microchip. It's not really a guarantee because there are so many chip companies and the scanners can be hit-or-miss but it's peace of mind. Isn't it a lot harder to do while the animal is not under because the needle is really thick?

• Locked thread