Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I told Maple Leaf I was too cool for school to post in this thread but I'm bored out of my skull and want to express myself, so here we go. The reason I joined SA in the first place was to do an LP. Yeah, I know I'm not the only one. I also started an LP because I wanted to get some recognition. Again, I'm not the only one. Today I do still feel a little tug of self-promotion when I start an LP, but I don't do it for the recognition anymore. All LPs I've ever done, and still choose to do, either haven't been done before or were abandoned (on SA, at least). I like choosing an original game to LP, but that's becoming less and less easy to do. Anyway, enough prefacing. Let's get to the games.

Republic: The Revolution
The first LP I've ever done. I approached the LP with the intention of doing screenshot LPs because this is a political simulator and video wouldn't cut it. Instead I decided to go all-out and make it a narrative with CYOA-style choices because I liked the game's aesthetic and wanted to practice my writing. I don't mind it at all, and actually feel that the success of this LP in terms of reception and writing quality is what made me keep making LPs. I also kept to a pretty strict schedule for this LP, back when keeping up a screenshot LP didn't feel like such a chore. Shameful admission: I still re-read parts of this LP from time to time, and I know exactly how masturbatory that is.

Imperialism II
Another screenshot LP following R:TR, and in the same style of narrative. However, for this one I was taking a page from Jerusalem's LP of Medieval II: Total War and the Paradox LPs. I wanted to write an epic, a story about the goon-chosen dynasty of Holland and go all-out with pictures, memorable characters, and tie in goon participation by making them part of a story. This was also the first time I began to exhibit signs of burnout. I think I aimed too high, and eventually I stopped writing updates for this after a couple of failed restart attempts when I mentioned taking a break to get my interest in writing again. I'm very glad there's an LP of Imperialism I currently ongoing, though. These are fun games.

Diplomacy
Back before play-by-play of board games were moved to the Game Room subforum, Diplomacy was one of those games that I jumped into with relish, and now find unbearable to play because I get so hopped up and tense. I was adamant about being the host for these play-by-plays, being a GM and ordering my participants to submit their moves and compile them into updates that would throw the players into chaos. Shoutout to my old Diplomacy buddies and players. The only downside of looking back at this? I was way too much into My Little Pony at the time and put smileys of ponies as power rankings. Yeah. At least my players were also MLP fans and liked it, and I did finish this one.

Populous: The Beginning
My first foray into video LPing with live commentary, I should have finished this one, but again, laziness and burnout kicked in and I lost interest in completing this LP. I blame the fact that I had so much video editing to do, and that I underestimated how much work it took. This is one of those LPs that I do want to go back and finish someday, but not anytime soon. Crosspeice did start a new LP of this and finished it in the archives, though, so I congratulate him/her on sticking through with it to the end.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted
I have Maple Leaf to blame for this one. After abandoning Populous and not LPing anything for a year, he kept pressing me to do an LP of my own, and suggested this game. I ignored his suggestion for a while but eventually figured, sure, why not. And you know something? I had fun doing this LP, so thanks again for continuing to press me, Maple Leaf. Not wanting to repeat my abandonment of Populous, for NFS:MW I decided to go all the way and finish it. This LP was live-commentated again, and in the spirit of keeping goon participation when possible, I had goons submit car ideas and come up with names for them as we went. I also decided to be informative and give Wikipedia'd info on the cars and car companies in-game, as well as tap Triple A, a car-loving goon, for his opinions on the cars we drove. This LP is actually still getting me subscriptions and comments on YouTube, mostly from Russians and other Eastern Europeans who like fast cars.

The Last Express
If I had to choose just one LP of mine to remember me by, or to say which one was my favorite to do, I'd have to say The Last Express. Admittedly, I almost abandoned it in the end in my goal to 100% it and translate languages that the main character didn't speak, as well as not follow through with my goals of going Geop-style into the backstory of the history of the game. However, the game itself is actually very near and dear to me, and I felt it was a crime that it hadn't been completed by previous goons. This being a subtitled video LP, I actually went a step further in showing the 100% run of this game. Because of so many game overs and choices we can make in this game, I decided to split the videos into two "runs" that were taking place simultaneously, inspired by Lord Mune's own approach in his/her LP of Heavy Rain. One run was the "right" way of doing things (with a few exceptions), and the other was the "wrong" way. Viewers and thread readers really dug into that.

Tropico
I tried going back into screenshot LPs with Tropico. Needless to say, I failed, because I abandoned this LP as well. I can't even find the original thread to link you to it, even though I still have the first five original updates. I don't think narrative SSLPs are my thing anymore. I don't have the patience for it.

Transistor
My latest (and likely last) LP, this one was subtitled videos again. I learned how to use Avisynth a little better than in NFS:MW to have subtitles move and fade with this one. In my quest to nearly 100% it I found some cool art online, and I took pains to make the biographies of characters as game-looking as possible. I am proud of the effort, but after all the work I put into it, unless another great game comes along that hasn't been LP'd before, I will probably not make any more LPs. I am still up for co-commentating and participate in LPs done by another person, but now that I have work and my own non-internet hobbies to pursue, I don't feel like putting in the effort or time into another LP again for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread