Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Problem: I built my own computer using PCpartpicker. When I went to boot it up, I hear the fans start up, but nothing displays on the monitor. After about thirty seconds, the MB makes a ding sound and the system reboots, repeating the cycle.

Attempted Fixes: I've double-checked that all the power cables were firmly linked and that all my devices were locked into position. I've even attempted connecting the display output to the Mother Board as opposed to the video card. This has not resulted in any change.

My System:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dKz2nQ

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Red 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1
Monitor: Dell P2414H 60Hz 23.8" Monitor
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard.

This is the first time I've tried to build a computer. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
When you connected the display directly to the motherboard, did you remove the video card? If not, try that.

Many motherboards automatically disable their on-board video outputs if a video card is installed. Figuring out whether it is the video card is the correct place to start so good job there.

I'm going to assume that you still have no display on your screen when you have removed the video card. In that case the next things to look at as possible culprits are the display cable going to the monitor, and the monitor itself. Try swapping for a different cable/display or using them on a different computer, whatever is easiest. The way you want to approach this in general is a process of elimination: isolating one possible problem at a time, like how you started by removing the video card to see if it is a bad video card.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Col.Kiwi posted:

When you connected the display directly to the motherboard, did you remove the video card? If not, try that.

Many motherboards automatically disable their on-board video outputs if a video card is installed. Figuring out whether it is the video card is the correct place to start so good job there.

I'm going to assume that you still have no display on your screen when you have removed the video card. In that case the next things to look at as possible culprits are the display cable going to the monitor, and the monitor itself. Try swapping for a different cable/display or using them on a different computer, whatever is easiest. The way you want to approach this in general is a process of elimination: isolating one possible problem at a time, like how you started by removing the video card to see if it is a bad video card.

I hooked my PC up to my TV, and it didn't work.

I suspect that my problem is with the CPU, but my only other computer at home is a laptop. How can I test the other components?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Reposting from the PC Building thread since I'm not gonna write that again:

cisco privilege posted:

You do not have to remove the heatspreaders. Make sure the RAM sticks are fully-inserted in the correct orientation. They're keyed to go in one way in the slots, and it may take some force on both sides to make sure they're in all the way.

Did you make sure that all of the case standoffs were correctly inserted when you installed the motherboard and that you didn't have any case standoffs where there aren't holes? If the board is shorting out because of that it could cause immediate reboots. Did you bend any pins on the motherboard's CPU socket?

Did your CPU heatsink come with thermal paste pre-installed? There wasn't a plastic cover on the base of the heatsink from the box that you failed to remove, right? Is the CPU heatsink fully-installed or is one of the corners hanging off? If you need to re-seat the CPU to verify you'll need to reinstall the thermal paste (Note: if it's just to press down a heatsink corner tab you do not need new paste) - IE: clean it off with ~90% rubbing alcohol, not antibacterial cleaner, and add a small drop of the new thermal paste to the center of the heatsink before reinstalling the heatsink. You can get new paste from a radioshack, although there's fewer of those now since most have closed down recently. If you hosed up the heatsink install somehow you can can always temporarily re-use the same thermal paste that it came with but you'd want to get more soon. Do not run the CPU without a heatsink installed and do not use the heatsink without either the factory thermal paste or a replacement.

You could try stripping everything out of the case, including the motherboard. Run it bare-bones with the board, CPU, RAM, and power-supply on a non-conductive surface like a wood table or the motherboard's box. If that works, start adding in other components starting with the videocard if you can do it without it flexing the board too much. I'd guess either you have a problem with the case standoffs or the CPU installation. Other possibility is if you installed the 24-pin PSU cable into the board but maybe you forgot to install the CPU's 8-pin cable into the motherboard.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 26, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

cisco privilege posted:

Reposting from the PC Building thread since I'm not gonna write that again:

You could try stripping everything out of the case, including the motherboard. Run it bare-bones with the board, CPU, RAM, and power-supply on a non-conductive surface like a wood table or the motherboard's box. If that works, start adding in other components starting with the videocard if you can do it without it flexing the board too much. I'd guess either you have a problem with the case standoffs or the CPU installation. Other possibility is if you installed the 24-pin PSU cable into the board but maybe you forgot to install the CPU's 8-pin cable into the motherboard.

No I got the 8-pin installed. I'll try the disassembly option this afternoon.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Okay, I took the motherboard out of the case and attempted to run it with just the motherboard, CPU and RAM. Nothing appeared on the screen.

Does this mean my issue is with my motherboard and/or CPU?

Also I checked the CPU under the heatsink. It's now covered with that thermal substance that was originally on the fan.

What do i do now? Should I replace the CPU and motherboard?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Try one stick of ram at the time on each ram slot. Or if you can get confirmed working ram from somewhere. Just to rule out ram being bad.

Edit: you should clean and reapply thermal paste if you want to try this though.

Also if you are careful, chack that you haven't bent any pins in the socket.

If it isn't a bent pin or faulty ram I would probably RMA the motherboard.

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 28, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sistergodiva posted:

Try one stick of ram at the time on each ram slot. Or if you can get confirmed working ram from somewhere. Just to rule out ram being bad.

Edit: you should clean and reapply thermal paste if you want to try this though.

Also if you are careful, chack that you haven't bent any pins in the socket.

If it isn't a bent pin or faulty ram I would probably RMA the motherboard.

There are bent sockets, but not on anythying I was using (though Id imagine it would still cause issues)

also, what does RMA mean?

EDIT: I'll see what I can do about testing the RAM, but honestly the only option I can think of right now is a computer at work, and I think they would frown on that.

EDIT2: I did straighten the pins so they weren't touching when I made my last test.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 28, 2015

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Wait, you have bent sockets and pins? Do you have pictures of whatever you're referring to so that we can get a better idea what's going on? What pins did you straighten exactly?

Also RMA means return merchandise authorization. Basically means you get a # from the manufacturer and they allow you to return the part for a replacement or repair if something you bought is faulty.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

cisco privilege posted:

Wait, you have bent sockets and pins? Do you have pictures of whatever you're referring to so that we can get a better idea what's going on? What pins did you straighten exactly?

Also RMA means return merchandise authorization. Basically means you get a # from the manufacturer and they allow you to return the part for a replacement or repair if something you bought is faulty.

Sorry, I mixed my terminology. Just bent pins for the motherboard. They were for the dedicated printer plug (which I don't need) and the USB 2.0 plug (because I tried to plug a USB 3.0 extension into it :downs:

Nothing else on my Motherboard is damaged, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Work actually allowed me to test the RAM chips on a computer in storage, but the RAM slots are incompatible so it's a moot point I guess.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 28, 2015

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

cisco privilege posted:

This is accurate and ya I think what I'd be doing at this point in the process is trying to get the motherboard exchanged. However I would start by contacting the retailer you bought it from before you go trying to RMA with the manufacturer. If you're still within the retailers policy for exchange of defective items, going through them would be much faster than an RMA to the manufacturer. The retailer might just exchange it for you based on a description of your problem, or might want to test it or something - depends on the retailer. I'd see what they can do then if you don't like their process consider calling the manufacturer to see if you like that option better.

Assuming you didn't damage the cpu socket or the mobo itself, you probably have a defective mobo or cpu and statistically it's way more likely to be the mobo. Technically you might've caused this by scratching the motherboard if it is a deep enough scratch and that's easier to do than you might think so be very careful if you do end up getting a new board. But other than that ya basically I'm saying this sounds like it's fairly likely not your fault so even if this is becoming a huge pain just keep your chin up

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 28, 2015

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

SirPhoebos posted:

Sorry, I mixed my terminology. Just bent pins for the motherboard. They were for the dedicated printer plug (which I don't need) and the USB 2.0 plug (because I tried to plug a USB 3.0 extension into it :downs:

Nothing else on my Motherboard is damaged, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Work actually allowed me to test the RAM chips on a computer in storage, but the RAM slots are incompatible so it's a moot point I guess.

Yeah sorry, if I wasn't clear.

Bent pins on the socket the CPU goes in is a pretty common thing and can cause a lot of weird stuff.

Even if you can't test your ram in another machine, you can test them in your own machine, so see if one of them is faulty or one of the RAM slots are faulty.

Not an expert but I think you could just try to boot with only one of your two RAM sticks, try it in all the different slots, and then do the same thing with the other one.

But yeah, if that doesn't help I would try to get a replacement motherboard.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I took the CPU out of its socket, and some of the pins on the motherboard look like they are bent. So it seems regardless of the RAM working I need to replace the mb.

I cleaned the top of the CPU (with actual rubbing alcohol this time! :downs:) and the heat sink. I put both in separate plastic bags in a spot where they won't get disturbed or overheated. Same with the RAM chips.

Thanks for all the help. It was pretty depressing for the computer not to operate after all the effort and money spent, and your advice helped me to work through it. I'll keep you all posted when I get the replacement mb in.

EDIT: As someone building a computer, I should probably know this, but what is BIOS?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 29, 2015

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

SirPhoebos posted:

I took the CPU out of its socket, and some of the pins on the motherboard look like they are bent. So it seems regardless of the RAM working I need to replace the mb.

I cleaned the top of the CPU (with actual rubbing alcohol this time! :downs:) and the heat sink. I put both in separate plastic bags in a spot where they won't get disturbed or overheated. Same with the RAM chips.

Thanks for all the help. It was pretty depressing for the computer not to operate after all the effort and money spent, and your advice helped me to work through it. I'll keep you all posted when I get the replacement mb in.

EDIT: As someone building a computer, I should probably know this, but what is BIOS?

BIOS is the settings menu you can get into before your operating system actually boots. It's just setting up stuff like boot order and other settings that are more hardware in nature.

Differet motherboard producers use different keys to enter it. For example, on my ASUS board I press Delete during boot to enter ASUS bios.

Unfortunately if the pins are actually bent and you can't prove that it wasn't you who bent them I think you can't RMA the motherboard :(

Here's a image search for bent pins.

https://www.google.se/search?q=1150...g&dpr=1#imgrc=_

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Yeah if the mobo socket pins are bent they'll likely deny the RMA, especially if there's more than one.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

cisco privilege posted:

Yeah if the mobo socket pins are bent they'll likely deny the RMA, especially if there's more than one.

Well that's a shame. I guess I should go ahead and order a new one.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
I mean it's worth a shot trying for the RMA before ordering a new board. If you post a screenshot of the pins, maybe we can see if it looks like something the manufacturer might fix.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

cisco privilege posted:

I mean it's worth a shot trying for the RMA before ordering a new board. If you post a screenshot of the pins, maybe we can see if it looks like something the manufacturer might fix.

I already got a response that pin damage voids the warranty.

EDIT: I understand that I might save $70 bucks if I could get an RMA, but the cost of replacing the motherboard is relatively low and I'd rather save time instead of money.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 29, 2015

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My replacement motherboard is arriving today. I'll attempt a bare-bones boot up again.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Update: HOLY poo poo IT LIVES!!! MY CREATION LIVES!!!! :holy: :hellyeah: :holy:

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Awesome. Hope everything works as it should :D

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

Update: HOLY poo poo IT LIVES!!! MY CREATION LIVES!!!! :holy: :hellyeah: :holy:
Yay! :) I forgot about this thread until I suddenly remembered it just now. Congrats. Enjoy

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Nice - motherboard issues can be a bitch to troubleshoot but it sounds like the replacement did the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Didn't notice the replies, but thanks again for all your help. Everything's been smooth since I last posted.

• Locked thread