Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

Wasn't Prince Xizor brought up in Spaced or Clerks with the main characters talking about how stupid the pronunciation of his name was?

It'd have to have been Spaced, Clerks was way before he existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

The Outrider has been confirmed as canonical: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/04/30/shadows-of-the-empires-outrider-confirmed-as-star-wars-canon

Whether or not Disney will extend that to Dash Rendar or any other Shadows-related material remains to be seen.

"Hm, well, let's see. You've got... knockoff Han Solo and Rape Lizard. No, no thank you."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Probably would've been better if the prequel trilogy had started with Obi-Wan and Anakin as master and apprentice; there would have been more space to develop their partnership rather if they hadn't had to make room for superfluous podracing sequences. It's like that one recommended viewing order for the movies: IV - V- II - III - VI. I think the rationale is that ESB ends with Luke asking, "How did my father become Darth Vader?" and AOTC and ROTS (sort of) answer the question, then it's back to ROTJ for him to complete the circle.

I think it's generally widely considered that Phantom Menace was kind of a misstep. Clone Wars effectively retcons their relationship to the point that not a single thing in PM is meaningful. Not a single important thing happens in PM that isn't eventually rehashed in CW and Anakin being introduced as a child doesn't actually add anything meaningful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supposedly Poe was originally supposed to die so I wonder if at some point they scripted him as Wedge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Lucas doesn't really go in for shades of grey, he rejects any attempt to make the Force more complex than "obviously evil side" and "obviously good side".

That is because Shades of Grey don't really fit what the Force is.

It's a religion. Like this isn't subtext it is stated text. It's a religion that gives you magical powers and some people continue to obey their god and others go "I can shoot lightning, gently caress that fucker" and the nature of the religion is not one where God directly smites you for doing that. All the 'but what if there are shades of grey" stuff is just a thinly-veiled attempt to have the cake of having superpowers without the obligation of following the rules behind them. It's the same mindset that gives you people who want to play paladins but attempt to rules lawyer their way out of having to follow the rules behind them.

(Not saying you in particular are saying that, just that it is what tends to motivate the 'grey Jedi" stuff.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing I think people miss about Kriea is that she is intentionally a Devil figure. Her Sith name is Darth Treya and her eventual goal is overthrowing Space God in the name of freedom from its manipulations. She is well-written in that you can entirely understand why she is in that role and what her goal is but at the same time she is (intentionally) filling the role of the Lucifer-Who-Fell. She's not really a nihilist and not a Force Atheist. She is someone who completely and utterly believes that God exists and has enough egotism and ambition that the idea of an omnipotent deity controlling her is unacceptable to the point that her only reasonable choice on a personal level is to find a way to sever that forever.

It's a perfect reasonable goal for a villain to have but I think a lot of people make the mistake of assuming she is factually correct in everything she says and it isn't through the lens of her own personal worldview like everything else she says. It's the kind of viewpoint I suspect a lot of people have sympathies for. (Especially in video games where the idea of slaying god or gods to bring about free will is a relatively common heroic plot.) It's just also done through the lens of a world where the Force is presented as benevolent and positive which is what gives Kreia the interesting twist. She would much rather have free will even over theoretically benevolent leadership and even when the consequences of her action could be theoretically catastrophic.. She is effectively 'better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven" embodied.

To get back on topic: I saw the Vader TPB in stores today. Is the series ongoing or does that have everything?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 7, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Poe is literally a more developed character and (shown onscreen) a better pilot than Wedge Antilles was in the films.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

plainswalker75 posted:

You know, I never really thought about it until reading the Star Wars issue today, but based on current canon did Obi-Wan actually know that Anakin had become into Darth Vader, prior to his becoming a force ghost? The last time he sees him, Anakin has lost three limbs and caught on fire, so I don't think there's a reasonable assumption of him surviving.

His claim that a pupil named Darth Vader murdered Luke's father makes on sense whatsoever otherwise.

Edit: Also I'm pretty sure he specifically hears him referred to as Darth Vader in RotS. During the hologram scene with him and Yoda. In fact I just checked and yep, Obi-Wan sees that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 20, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

The Force is not a religion any more than gravity is. It's science. It's a thing that exists that can be manipulated in various ways, and an individual's potential ability to do that can be objectively measured.

Jedi and Sith are religions with beliefs on what the Force means, where it comes from, and how it can and should be used.

Boy, someone should tell every fantasy writer in existence that their clerics are not religious because they can cast Cure Light Wounds.

Also the Force is explicitly some form of sentient and can guide people's actions which is a bit more than "a thing that exists to be manipulated."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 22, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Belief in the Force is not religion, because it's not something that can be denied. I don't stop sticking to the groun because I don't follow any religions.

That is not the definition of religion. Religion has nothing to do with the fact that something can be disbelieved. Even if someone proved tomorrow that God exists incontrovertibly it wouldn't make belief in him not religious.

And likewise The Force is something that can be denied and is in fact done so by people in the setting. To quote Han Solo: "Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense." Notice that what he's denying isn't that dudes can move stuff with their mind but that The Force is an all-powerful thing that controls everything.

"May the Force Be With You" (which is said even by non-Jedis I'll note) isn't saying "may the psychic ability move things with your mind be with you." It's explicitly more of a "may God be with you."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 22, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

The thing is, it wasn't "cut"; like I explained in a previous thread incarnation, the audio for that line is sourced 100% from ROTJ, just re-cut and resampled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDYX_PgorRY

but yeah they are not being subtle about who Rey is :v: though I honestly wonder if that isn't in part a "yeah we sort of feel it works best to be coy about this for one movie to do other things narratively, but y'all will guess it anyway so let's just be obvious about it" move.

I figure there are two paths:

One is the one you mentioned, the other is they do have a twist in play which involves the audience assuming that Rey is a Skywalker and plan to pull the rug out but in order to deflect an internet audience away from guessing a plot twist they plant clues for a more obvious plot twist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel bad saying this after the brain thing but it seems like amost none of those images work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think they should do what they did with Aliens and pretend that the expanded universe still exists but change everyone's name.

I look forward to a re-release of Zahn's trilogy starring Grand Admiral Snoke featuring the birth of Han and Leia's twins Rey and Ben.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

Twins. That are almost a decade apart in age.

It is called a joke, jivjov, and intentionally does not stand up to closer analysis.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OhFunny posted:

http://ew.com/books/2017/01/12/marvel-rogue-one-comic/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

The Force Awakens comic adaption was just a straight adaption, but it looks like the Rogue One will have stuff that wasn't in the movie.

That makes sense.

Rogue One is incredibly self-contained so you can add whatever you want short of like, Jyn making a pit stop on Tattooine to secretly have Luke's child, and it wouldn't mess anything up while anything you add to a TFA comic risks being contradicted by later films.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

My secret hope is that the Rogue One comic has a cameo/name-drop of Kyle Katarn. He deserves it.

Considering how Rogue One went you can comfortable assume that would mean he died a miserable and forgotten death in some backwater shithole of the galaxy and a wampa peed on his corpse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Hey, Emperor Palpatine, I need a place to crash." "K, I've got just the place."

(12 hours later)

"You are a tremendous cockbite." "I know, my Apprentice, I know."