Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tato posted:

I've really enjoyed all the SW comics Marvel has put out except Obi-Wan and Anakin and Kanan. I think the lesson for me is just avoid anything dealing with the prequels, there's nothing good that can be done with that sandbox.

It's all the same sandbox though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I just read the C-3PO one-shot...and I liked the story in general, it really struck me as odd that he decided to keep the red arm as a memorial or tribute to the fallen droid friends...but then one of the first things he says about it in Episode VII was "I need to get a proper arm reattached..."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

rear end Catchcum posted:

proper, as in one meant for him? That other one wasn't an exact fit.

Yeah, if you notice at the big wide shot at the end of the movie as the falcon takes off, he's got a gold arm reattached that matches his body.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Aphrodite posted:

The same company that makes the movies makes the comics now, I guess it feels a bit more authentic that way?

The old stuff was always rubber stamped by Lucas Licensing, so it's not like having an overarching authority is new.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I at least appreciate that that billboard calls for a continuation of Legends, not a cessation of Canon or reinstating Legends as Canon. They're at least realistic in their goals.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

I think they should do what they did with Aliens and pretend that the expanded universe still exists but change everyone's name.

I look forward to a re-release of Zahn's trilogy starring Grand Admiral Snoke featuring the birth of Han and Leia's twins Rey and Ben.

Twins. That are almost a decade apart in age.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Teek posted:

Still thought it would have been nice for Lucasfilm to do the EU die-hards a solid and write one final wrap-up story for that universe. Reference everything, good and bad, and go out with a bang. Then never talk about it again.

This was what Crucible was supposed to be; but about midway through writing, they called up Troy Denning and told him to seed lots of future plot points in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Kainser posted:

The kotor stuff is in a pretty special place canon-wise.

No it isn't. It's explicitly Legends.

Cross-Section posted:

So SWTOR still continually getting story expansions doesn't count as "continuing the EU" then? :confused:

Eh. Often seen as "not enough" or disconnected entirely from the post RotJ storyline.

You are completely right though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So turns out the Vader ongoing comic is coming to an end as Issue #25. They had a planned story arc and are actually wrapping it up rather than stretch it on forever. I'm actually pretty okay with that

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm surprised the Obi-Wan/Anakin TPB hit so quickly. Didn't that series just wrap up a handful of weeks ago? I'm used to there being a 6-month+ gap before the trade.

And yeah, I hope the special forces troopers are a recurring set of characters.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Roth posted:

The Clone Wars already pretty thoroughly explored the Prequel-era, and I think the people in charge of Star Wars seem to want to move away from the Prequels as much as they can, so I wouldn't expect a Prequel-era comic anytime soon.

If the people in charge of Star Wars want to move away from the Prequel era...why is so much stuff in Rebels 100% predicated on direct Prequel connections?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'll never argue that there's a Disney stance of "we're staying away from the politics stuff that people reacted badly to" or "we're focusing primarily on OT nostalgia or ST hype"....but there's just too much PT reference stuff that exists to support the argument of "We will never talk about the Prequels ever!"

Hell, The Force Awakens had an explicit reference to "a clone army" and that film was a tied to the OT as you can get.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ShineDog posted:

What weirds me out is that the TFA didn't have a single twilek, rodian or anything else in it. I get expanding the galaxy but cmon guys

Well, Ackbar and Nien Nunb showed up; so there was at least a Mon Cal and a Sullustan.

But yeah; I was hoping for a couple more recognizable species.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Roth posted:

I think that title belongs to Kanan, which lasted 12 issues. Not sure how popular Aphra is in comparison.

Kanan at least is a main character of an ongoing televised property. Aphra is purely a comics creation

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Picked up Issue #1 of Doctor Aphra today. I really really really don't like the art. Still absolutely adore the characters though.

EDIT: And we have possibly the first ever canonical Star Wars euphemism for using the restroom: Better go feed the sarlacc

jivjov fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 9, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Isn't Hera and Chopper in that same wave? So Rebels and comics at the same time

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

radlum posted:

Yeah, that model looks pretty good; they had used the Inquisitor before so it's nice to see other Rebels characters. I hope we eventually get Black Krrsantan and Dr. Aphra for Scum.

Ahh I had forgotten the inquisitor. My gaming group can never all come together for ImpAss, so I completely fell out of keeping up with releases.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So turns out episode VIII is going to be an adaptation of one of the old Marvel Comics

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, I finally did something fun with my comics, and today I got back the entire run of Kanan and the entire run of Darth Vader, bound together.

Spelling mistake aside (and I already contacted the bindery, hopefully there's something they can do for me...) these turned out GREAT. I was a bit concerned about the Vader book being unwieldy due to its size, but its not uncomfortable to hold or anything. No complaints at all about the binding itself, and as long as they can do something for me regarding the spelling error, I'll definitely be getting more stuff bound in the future.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

Can we see more detail shots? Inside cover, between issues, etc. What process did they use?

Inside cover is just plain white; nothing too exciting.

Nothing too exciting between issues. I could have removed back covers...but I kinda liked the nostalgic appeal of having the old back cover ads to see every time I flip through the book.

Top of the spine picture; not sure what method they use for binding...but I sprung for the little head and tail bands for appearance, plus the ribbon bookmark, cause I find them to be classy.

Front cover is just blank, cause I was too cheap to pay for anything on it.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 23, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Good news; the bindery can fix my book easily. I was about to track down all 12 issues again for rebinding.

EDIT: Need some input from the crowd here; I'm thinking of binding up a bunch of the miniseries' releases together. Right now I'm thinking Princess Leia, Lando, Chewbacca, and Han Solo; possibly throwing the C-3P0 one-shot in there too since it doesn't have a good other home.

What should I put on the spine? "Leia, Lando, Chewbacca, & Han" or whatever just seems...unwieldy. Maybe just..."miniseries"?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 24, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

Star Wars Miniseries (2015-2016)

Endless Mike posted:

Star Wars Miniseries Vol. 1

One of these is the winner, methinks. Although now part of me wants to try to fit Shattered Empire and/or that Obi-Wan & Anakin miniseries in there somehow...especially if I sort them by publication date like Carteret's suggestion.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Endless Mike posted:

If you do volume numbers and ignore the years, you don't have to worry about having a year with too much stuff for one book.

But publication date of the first issue is probably best, regardless. (Don't have them intermingled.)

Yeah, I can arbitrarily decide what constitutes a "volume"...that makes sense.

Hopefully Marvel cranks out enough minis that I won't have a laughably tiny final volume when all is said and done (although lets be real...we're going to have consistent Star Wars comic release through at least the end of 2019, aren't we?)

EDIT: After much hemming and hawing, my Minis Volume 1 set will contain, in this order: Princess Leia, Lando, Chewbacca, Han Solo, Shattered Empire, C-3P0: Phantom Limb. Publication order for the middle-of-the-OT stuff, Shattered Empire and C-3P0 after all of that.

I'll stick that Obi/Ani series in with the impending Darth Maul mini, and hopefully some other prequel era minis.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 24, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Rereading through Vader (since what's the point of having it all in one volume if you're not gonna read it!), and I'd forgotten just how good this series is. And the intrigue stuff flows so much nicer when one can binge through a "book" at a time. Oh, and they really were banking on the Star Wars ongoing and the Vader series intermingling at times.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The three ongoing series are Star Wars, Poe Dameron, and Doctor Aphra.

Vader ended at Issue 25, a Darth Maul 5 issue series starts in February, and the Rogue One adaptation starts soon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

Are the original Marvel Star Wars comics as good as the covers make them look?

They're loving bizarre and worth checking out if you can do so affordably.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't been keeping up with the main comic. When (if at all) is it projected to reach ESB?

As far as I know, they haven't said. At least with the canon reset there isn't decades of stuff crammed in that period...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress. I should have put "Vol. 1" instead of issue numbers on my bound copy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

Het, does anyone know any good Star Wars podcasts or YouTube channels to follow? I'm interested in getting deeper into the fandom and that seemed like a good place to start.

I recommend Star Wars Beyond the Films with Nathan Butler.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I knew where that link led before I clicked it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Has there been any sort of indication of how long the main Star Wars ongoing series is going to run? I need to start binding my single issues, but don't want to have completely asymmetrical books

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OhFunny posted:

Jason Aaron is off the main Star Wars book at issue #37. Kieron Gillen will replace him.

Gillen also confirmed that Doctor Aphra will continue for another year.

The Thrawn novel is getting a comic adaption.

I wonder if the Poe series will wrap up soon as the search for Lor San Tekka is back on at issue #20?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Poe series ends with it dovetailing straight into Episode VII. "Hey, we found Tekka! He's living out on Jakku!". Hopefully we get another arc or two before that though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This will probably be old news to some...but the next main story arc of the main Star Wars comic is bringing our main characters to Jedha! Excited to see what Gillen does with that concept!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rirse posted:

Is Doctor Aphra worth reading? Comixology has a buy one get one free sale on all Marvel books and thinking of grabbing all the issues for it for $25 (this includes the annual).

Absolutely. Aphra the character is awesome, and Aphra the comic follows suit. (Especially if you've read the whole run of Vader)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The final page of the Rogue One comics adaptation is really nice.

Almost makes up for the rest of it being rather mediocre.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cptn_dr posted:

Did you read the Cassian one-shot? If yes, how was it?

It's a fun little one-off that gives you exactly what it says on the tin; the meeting of Cassian and K2. Definitely glad it got its own issue instead of crammed in as flashbacks in the adaptation miniseries.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Roth posted:

Anybody else check out Star Wars Adventures?

Got that one today too. Its definitely aimed at younger readers, but I like the concept of the multipart "Rey has to rescue Plutt" story.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xenomrph posted:

What's the last page?

The opening crawl from A New Hope

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OhFunny posted:

Captain Phasma was interesting in that where she's a flat character in the film in the comic she immediately moves to cover her tracks and pin the blame of the shields being lowered on someone else in a self-serving way. It reminded me of a similar thing Darth Vader did in the opening arc of his first comic. I wonder if that is supposed to be her characterization or is something they doing to explain her rolling over for Han and Finn in TFA.l

Her origin novel that just came out has her doing stuff like this too. Not sure if they retconned that to give her more characterization after how flat she was in TFA, or if this was always the plan, and we're just getting the opportunity to see t now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/908722104278880267

One-shot set on Crait