Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Actually, interesting query: What's Marvel/Disney/Lucasfilm policy on re-introducing things/characters from the old EU? I'm not clamouring for the return of Kyp Durron or the Darksaber or anything, but stuff like Winter and Mara Jade and Wraith Squadron were cool ideas that would make neat books/comics/vidya games.

Is it a full-on "NO!" or a "You can have characters like them but you have to change the names and some details" or a "sure, if it fits our larger vision" situation?
They own it all, they can do what they want on a case-by-case basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

I want the Shadows of the Empire and what you mentioned. Shadows because it actually became a phenomenon outside the fandom.
Love that soundtrack!

The Finale

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 30, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I'm so glad Mara Jade is no longer canon.
Why don't you want Luke to be happy?

She's a better alternative than that Computer AI at least.

Well, maybe not.

"Han, Leia...I'd like you to meet my new girlfriend!" :pulls space-tablet out of his pocket:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Also, I've always found Cam Kennedy's art in Dark Empire to be pretty cool.
It's the best.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

The Outrider has been confirmed as canonical: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/04/30/shadows-of-the-empires-outrider-confirmed-as-star-wars-canon

Whether or not Disney will extend that to Dash Rendar or any other Shadows-related material remains to be seen.
The Outrider was a cool ship (and toy). I may have had one hanging from my room's ceiling back in the day!

ladies

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

lol this thread is 4 pages long
I know, scrolling to the bottom of the first page is sometimes just so hard.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

The correct watching order is Star Wars - Empire - Jedi, then plugging your ears and closing your eyes until 7 is out.
:agreed:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

Continuing a big rear end Star Wars derail from the Touching/Inspiring panels thread

https://youtu.be/BXoJeLDyVBY?t=49s

Fackin' spoilers for the televisual cartoon show, if you're interested in watching it. Personally I wasn't interested until I saw Darth Vader wrecking house like a towering untouchable manmonster.

It seems like that should have been a much easier fight for Vader.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yeah well I always err on the side of "you cannot BELIEVE what some people get upset about".
If the comic is out, you don't need to use spoilers, that's a general BSS rule.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dsmif posted:

Speaking of Karen Traviss, does anyone know how she took the news that her stories are no longer cannon?
Reasonably, I'm sure!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for that.

I always liked the idea of Palpatine being very interested in the outer fringes and beyond space of the SW galaxy.

I wish they'd give it a name one day.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm liking the use of an AT-AT in an urban combat scenario. :allears:
There was some of this during Dark Empire, too. Good stuff.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Please don't call Dark Empire "good stuff".
Pass.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I may be mis-remembering, but in the Lego Star Wars: Yoda Chronicles series running on Disney XD (which is friggin' hilarious, btw) at one point Luke sees holocron footage of Yoda, Obi-Wan and Dooku and says something like "Dooku? They sure had some dumb names back then!"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Grand Moff Hissa there is in a Professor X hover chair because his legs got eaten or melted or something when he and Trioculus decided to take a break from their hunt for the glove of Darth Vader so they could go and poach endangered wildlife on a planet they happened to be passing.

Right. So, the thing that really kicked off the EU in the 1990s was Tim Zahn's Heir to the Empire / Thrawn trilogy. However, the man who probably had the biggest impact on what the EU looked liked in the decade was a guy called Kevin J. Anderson, who wrote several novels and comics but also had a fair amount of influence as an editor and contributor to the reference books that defined a lot of the EU at a time when it was the only new Star Wars there was.

One of his most notorious novels, in many ways the apotheosis of every cliché about the Star Wars EU in the Bantam Spectra era, was Darksaber. Yes. Darksaber. In this novel, we meet Durga the Hutt. He schemes to steal the Death Star plans and build his own superweapon in the asteroid field from ESB - the Darksaber. Because it's shaped like a giant lighsaber. Except he's evil, so it's called the Darksaber. When the New Republic finds out, they send a strike team commanded by General Crix Madine (one of the officers who briefed the Rebels on the planned attack on the Death Star in ROTJ) to investigate and sabotage the station. He is captured and shot dead (he is, in fact, the first named movie character to be killed off in an EU story). Only it's a massive shaggy dog story because the space jellyfish Durga is using to build the thing are incompetent, and as soon as he tries to pilot it out of the asteroid field the main gun fails and it gets smashed to pieces. All this happens independently of anything the heroes actually do.

Meanwhile, Luke is accompanying his girlfriend du jour, Callista (who is the disembodied mind of an Old Republic Jedi that Luke fell in love with while she was trapped in the computer core of another Imperial superweapon called the Eye of Palpatine for 30 years reincarnated in the body of one of Luke's Jedi students) to locations from the movies where he felt a strong connection to the Force to help her re-establish her own lost Force sensitivity. He takes her to Hoth, where he escaped the wampa cave and saw Obi-Wan's spirit telling him to go and train with Yoda, when they find a party there to hunt wampas. Suddenly, they're attacked by a massive horde of wampas, who are under the command of the one Luke dismembered back in Episode V, which has apparently been waiting all this time to take revenge.

There's a third plot where one of Anderson's other recurring characters, Admiral Daala (Grand Moff Tarkin's ex-girlfriend, who is supposed to be a military genius but is actually brain-damaged) tries to use her fleet to attack Luke's Jedi academy, only for his students to use some kind of Force amplifying technique to Force push a dozen orbiting star destroyers to the far side of the system. There's some other stuff but it's pretty dull by comparison.

And people wonder why Disney wanted rid of this stuff. :v:

Oh, Darksaber. You so cray. So many memories came flooding back as I read that recap.

Wasn't Daala actually shown to have made her way up the ranks due to....um, sexy times?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 18, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Small note: Pellaeon was cool too, as an old-school military man, and goes from Old Republic to Empire to I believe the New Republic. His sympathetic portrayal seems worthwhile since it's silly to just say something as big as The Empire is a structure only of outright evil people. He has beliefs and responsibilities that make him Imperial, but he's pragmatic and free-thinking enough (possibly some of Thrawn's influence) to not want to repeat old mistakes.
I think by the end of whatever mass of EU stuff I had read, Pallaeon was my favorite. Agreed on your points there.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The version I heard was Wedge's actor wanted more than just a bit/cameo part, he wanted to be a major character. When they said no, he asked for shittons of money, which the company said no to. Thus, no Wedge.

"Greg! Buddy! Slot just opened up, get down here stat!"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Devol_Tettran posted:

Let's face it, even if Wedge was in the film, he'd just be stood round the table like Ackbar and Nien Nunb. No wonder Denis Lawson either wanted to do more or get paid well for it.
Wedge and Poe could have had a Gimli/Legolas-esque takedown contest!

"Starkiller Base still only counts as one!"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I feel bad saying this after the brain thing but it seems like amost none of those images work.
Counterpoint: I see them all.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

It's been rumored Vader appears in it, yeah.
I can't imagine Vader not appearing.

Squizzle posted:

I'm bananas about the Mon Mothma casting. It's like they cloned what's-her-name who played the character in RotJ.

Everything about Rogue One looks cool + good. I hope it leads to some good comics as well.
It's the same actress who played MonMo in the second or third prequel, whose scene was deleted. I thought that was neat.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Is James Robinson any good?

He's the epitome of "sometimes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Right, I was meaning to say that things might actually be more interesting now that there is an official canon. In the past I didn't care because they weren't written by Lucas and thus could be wiped at any time. Which happened. Now the stories seem more meaningful because they may tie into something that was on the screen.
Lucas has less to do with Star Wars now than he ever has.