Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm currently waiting on the trades for the main series; I might try the Lando series when it's out monthly, though, because I like Lando.

Of course, as anyone who's seen my posts on the subject will know, I was and am a massive Dark Horse Star Wars fan, all the way back to the comics that started coming out to cash in on The Phantom Menace. I'm keen to give the new stuff a whirl but I also appreciate that Marvel's giving the DH stuff full-size collections in the Epic Collection line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

I assume that the original DH releases didn't have "Legends" on them and that's the marketing adspeak they're using for "These comics don't count y'all".

No; they were about as official as it got at the time, but obviously that's no longer the case. Of course, since I'm not a complete wanker* I don't need stories to "count" or whatever to enjoy them. So long as I'm entertained by them, their canonicity or lack thereof doesn't trouble me.

*I'd say enjoying Star Wars comics makes me only mostly a wanker.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Darkman Fanpage posted:

You just know that somebody out there had a breakdown when Disney declared the EU non-canon.

Wookiepedia seems to have gotten over it now, but for a while they were ridiculusly pissy about it. The Star Wars thread in Book Born once linked to a blog post which highlighted some of the especially ridiculous examples; remember how on 5 November 2008, a whole bunch of "pray for Obama to fail" websites went up as soon as the electionw as called? It quite honestly reminded me of that. There's people who want the new EU to fail because apparently the like of Darksaber and The Crystal Star are hills worth dying on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It was the first EU material there'd ever been, wasn't it? I think it just about predated the holiday special.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

I want the Shadows of the Empire and what you mentioned. Shadows because it actually became a phenomenon outside the fandom.

I've only read the novel, but I understand the game was quite good. I believe there's also a trading card of Leia kicking Prince Xizor (who's the sleaziest guy ever; his special ability is being able to exhale rophynol) in the nuts, so that's cool.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know, I like Jan Duursema's Star Wars art.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, you can't win 'em all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McSpanky posted:

Anyone with a rat tail that drat long deserves their fate.

That's something from the movies; Jedi apprentices have one long braid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gargamel Gibson posted:

This is a thread about Star Wars funny books on an internet forum; you did not need to point that out.

In other words, it's :spergin: central, so someone was pointing it out one way or another.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They do indeed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think being called "my young padawan" on a daily basis would turn me over to the dark side.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodly posted:

That's a shame. Wasn't it TIE Fighter that gave Coruscant it's name?

I think that was Timothy Zahn.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vagon posted:

As someone who is huge into Starwars I've never watched Clone Wars. I really got the impression that it was very much a really plot-light childrens show. Is it actually worth a look? And I don't mean that as an insult or anything, I've barely seen anything about the series and just made a quick assumption from the animation style and the timeslot it played in.

Clone Wars does a far better job than any of the prequel movies of selling Anakin as the hero of the Republic and it really makes his fall to the dark side look a lot more tragic in retrospect. I wasn't sure about it because I wasn't keen on the movie they did beforehand, but it's a really fun series with enjoyable characters.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
ROTS had something like three direct lead-ins which were completely distinct from one another (a comic by Haden Blackman, a novel by James Luceno and the Genndy Tartakovsky cartoon). I think the idea was that you could pick whichever one you liked best, but this failed because a) most people just wanted to see the movie; and b) Star Wars fans are hopeless spergs who immediately bent over backwards to try and force all three into the EU canon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Probably would've been better if the prequel trilogy had started with Obi-Wan and Anakin as master and apprentice; there would have been more space to develop their partnership rather if they hadn't had to make room for superfluous podracing sequences. It's like that one recommended viewing order for the movies: IV - V- II - III - VI. I think the rationale is that ESB ends with Luke asking, "How did my father become Darth Vader?" and AOTC and ROTS (sort of) answer the question, then it's back to ROTJ for him to complete the circle.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SalTheBard posted:

Thats actually a really good idea.

Another detail: if you watch it in that order, Obi-Wan always has a beard. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ShineDog posted:

Similarly Fett, I don't know much about the character, and I'm sure he's not above brutalising people to get information, but having him going on a rampage that culminates in ripping arms off and casually murdering an informant feels like a 13 year olds idea of what a complete badass would do.

Fett was mainly developed in a couple of short stories by Daniel Keys Moran and some comics by John Wagner. I'd say his characterisation was sort of like "Judge Dredd, if he was committed to money instead of The Law" and a multiple-choice past. That's more or less how he was from about 1994 or so (when he began getting significant characterisation) up until AOTC and you learn he's actually a clone.

After that, Karen Traviss enters the picture and he ends up as an Invincible Ghurka Gentleman Farmer Klingon Samurai MANDO With Warrior Pride who is apparently the guy you go to when you need a fully-trained Jedi killed. He becomes Wolverine, basically.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 10, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dsmif posted:

Speaking of Karen Traviss, does anyone know how she took the news that her stories are no longer cannon?

Sure, she quit Star Wars in a huff a couple of years before Disney bought out the franchise because she didn't like how the Mandalorians were portrayed in The Clone Wars (as pacifists; her kind of MANDOS were included... as warlike revanchist fascists who want to go back to the old ways as violent conquerors).

Vagon posted:

Id be interested to hear of any of the old writer's reception to the idea, honestly.

I remember Tim Zahn saying he was disappointed but appreciated why it had to be done.

James Luceno said something similar but he's already had one book out under the new regime (I haven't read it but I'm given to understand it's pretty obvious that he started it and probably had most of it done before the Disney deal went through).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jim the Nickel posted:

So did any of y'all read the Dark Horse Star Wars comics back in the mid-2000s? When I was in high school I was more of a Star Wars person than a comics person, so they were kind of a gateway drug into comics. I haven't read them in years, so maybe they don't hold up, although I remember loving all of Duursema/Ostrander's stories (even though the constant circlejerk over Quinlan Vos kinda got old after a while.) I also remember enjoying how they were filling in the gaps between episodes 2 and 3 with real heavy war stories, and expanding characters like Assajj Ventress and Durge, and telling stories of a bunch of different characters besides Anakin and Obi-Wan. Really made it feel like a galaxy-wide conflict. I was real excited when I saw that some of the old Dark Horse issues were on Marvel Unlimited, but Republic and a bunch of other minis aren't on there.

Legit one of my all-time favorite comics ever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the early back stories for Fett was that he was a stormtrooper who shot his commanding officer - he seems to be about that level of competence in the movies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SynthOrange posted:

So what was he doing?

Fighting Dark Jedi Tusken Raiders:

:v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He spent all his time learning how to become a Force ghost from Qui-Gon's spirit. He's just a really slow study.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's an old EU story where Obi-Wan rescues Luke when he gets into difficulties and takes him back home, and Uncle Owen tells him to stay away and never come near Luke again.

In the very early EU (when it was limited to, like, the original Marvel comics, Splinter of the Minds Eye and the RPG campaign guides), Owen was Obi-Wan's estranged brother. Similarly, there's an old Marvel comic from about 1979 or so which tells a story about Obi-Wan's adventures during the Clone Wars, alongside his students Darth Vader and Luke's father. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know the issue number but I'll look and see if I can find it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BigRed0427 posted:

At a con I found the three volumes for Knight Errant. I just wen't through the first one and I like it. Lord Damien is fun.

"I am Lord Daiman. There are no other beings. :smug:"

I like the bit where he boasts about how he created the universe, but he just can't remember when or how he did it or what it was like before he created it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Darth Vader's TIE fighter was the prototype for the Interceptors.

The coolest-looking ones were the TIE Defenders, which I believe were in the TIE Fighter games.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BigRed0427 posted:

Since you brought it up, what's the in universe thinking behind the design of the B-Wing? I never understood it.

It's designed by the Mon Calamari and all their stuff (they also built all the Rebel capital ships) is meant to be a bit aquatic-looking.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Something they (briefly) tried to do in the old EU was advance starfighter technology so the Y-Wings had been retired in favour of the new K-Wing class bombers and X-Wings were started to be phased out in favour of E-Wings, but neither ever caught on, so they ended up just using increasingly advanced versions of the X-Wing (with special versions designed for use by the Jedi).

One of the problems the EU had was its inability to let go of the movies. They had the (mostly naff) New Jedi Order series which was meant to pass the torch to a new generation of Jedi, but they ended up going in the opposite direction.

I can't deny it makes sense - people want to read about the continuing adventures of Luke, Han, Leia, Lando and the movie characters. It's a bit like how the KOTOR games look like the movies despite taking place 4,000 years earlier (contrast with the TOTJ comics, which look like they're ancient history); that's the Star Wars aesthetic people are most accustomed to so of course it's what you're going to use.

Nevertheless, it had started to become faintly ridiculous when Luke and Leia are both 60 and Han and Lando are both in their 70s and they're still the ones who do beat every villain and solve every problem (meanwhile, Han and Leia's daughter was probably closer to 40 than 30 when the old EU came to an end, and she was still being written like she was a teenager).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was a comic strip that made a joke about the naming conventions.

The main characters are two stormtroopers called Kjazhed-Uhl and Bob.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just got my copy of the Star Wars Epic Collection: "Rise of the Sith, Vol. 1" through the post. Oh, man, so many great memories from these comics. There's some stuff that came later that's included that I've not read yet, but stuff like "Prelude To Rebellion", "Jedi Council: Acts of War", "Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan: Last Stand On Ord Mantell", these were some of my favourite comics when I was a kid. I'm really looking forward to reading them again. :swoon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I know, but these are full-size books. The DH omnibuses were only wee things and I'm given to understand they weren't great quality-wise.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm about 2 hours into the Aftermath audiobook. It's okay if a little disjointed.

One thing I have heard about it is that the interlude chapters (which I believe might well have been mandated by the story group) don't exactly help with the flow of the main plot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

So if you're wondering whats canon that's directly in this storyline, Clone Wars, Prequels, Rebels, Classic Trilogy and whatever we call the Force Awakens era. I'm going to assume the current crop of Marvel comics are also canon too? I haven't read anything besides Shattered Empire so I don't know exactly how the other books are lining up.

Basically, everything published from here on out is meant to be canon. We'll see how it pans out - this sort of project can be tough to hold together even with the best intentions. Hopefully once the movies start coming out and they have a clearer idea of where they're going to go, things will move more smoothly.

This was a problem Marvel had last time they published the comics - they were coming out between the movies and had to do a lot of guessing, which led to stuff like, for example, the flashback story where Obi-Wan is on a mission during the Clone Wars, accompanied by his two students, Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Probably.

Same as with Leia being Luke's sister. I rewatched the movies recently and I was struck by how much he seemed to be aiming for a genuine love triangle between Luke, Leia and Han in the first two.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, yeah I've seen that. I tried to convince my brother it was from the most recent special edition and he sort of believed me until I overplayed my hand telling him the Blu-Ray version of ANH altered the scene where Obi-Wan says, "A young Jedi Knight named Darth Vader ... betrayed and murdered your father," so Obi-Wan turns to the audience and winks after he says that line.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm liking the use of an AT-AT in an urban combat scenario. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

There was some of this during Dark Empire, too. Good stuff.

Oh, yeah, Luke knocks it over with the Force. I guess that was pretty cool.

Though I'm of two minds about Dark Empire. Story was bad, but I actually didn't dislike the art.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of classic Marvel Star Wars, the new series will need to up its game to have a cover better than this one:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

I've said this before but it's awesome how Marvel is demonstrating the quality of stories you can tell in the SW universe if you put tip top talent on them.

Dark Horse had John Ostrander as their main Star Wars writer for close to 10 years...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Yeah but they had Jan Duursema on art.

She drew some pretty weird-looking faces sometimes but I thought she was fine on the whole. :shrug:

Like, her art was never a deal-breaker for me. I liked the stories they did (I never read Dawn of the Jedi because that's not a part of the Star Wars universe I'm particularly interested in seeing filled in).