Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm quite keen to see how Obi-Wan and Anakin turns out because if I recall correctly they only ever had one comic set between TPM and AOTC under Dark Horse (and it was an adaptation of a Scholastic junior readers novel). I think the prequel era is very interesting, even if I'm more take-it-or-leave-it on the movies themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, absolutely, I like the Clone Wars cartoon - the "between TPM and AOTC" bit was the important part.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My own fault for not being clearer. Sorry about that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has there been any announcement about who will be writing and drawing the comic adaptation of TFA, or if there will be one at all? I assume it will be getting one; all the others did.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I guess so. I understand the novelisation is releasing simultaneously with the film on Kindle, then coming out in hardcover in early 2016, which also seems strange to me because I remember reading the junior reader novelisations of TPM and AOTC (the ones that would have a few pages of photos from the film in the middle) and the Matthew Stover novelisation of ROTS before their respective movies came out. I suppose, as you say, they're being a bit more careful now that Lucasfilm is part of Disney rather than its own entity.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OhFunny posted:

The biggest thing about the new canon is the ability to integrate, callback, and reference the prequel era post-A New Hope. As a lot of that space had been filled before the prequels were even released. It makes the universe feel tighter.

What do you mean? In between ROTS and ANH?

zoux posted:

I'm not sure why but I got STAR WARS FEVER so what are the good post-ROTJ old school comics? I've read Legacy.

I quite liked the first two Crimson Empire miniseries (never read the third) but if Jan Duursema's art is something put you off the John Ostrander comics they might not be for you. :shrug:

That era was the province of the novels, for the most part. It's comparatively under-explored in the comics; Dark Empire is probably the most high-profile series from the post-ROTJ period but it's generally agreed upon as being a bit rubbish.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Dark Empire was pretty well received when it first came out. I think that had a lot to do with it being the first high profile Star Wars comic than anything.

Sure - it basically did for the comics what Tim Zahn's books did for the novels. I've even read that it is or was George Lucas's favourite EU thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The title of Chuck Wendig's third Aftermath novel is going to be Empire's End - perhaps it'll be in that. I think people are more likely (probably not much more likely, granted) to follow the novels than the comics or even the games.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Star Wars is getting its first crossover event: a six-part story co-written by Aaron and Gillen called "Vader Down". Darth Vader's TIE fighter is shot down on a barren planet, and he's on his own with the full weight of the Rebel Alliance bearing down on him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The situation with Depa Billaba is a bit odd, because I'm pretty sure they've alluded to pretty much the only significant thing that happened with the character in the old EU (fell to the dark side and went full Apocalypse Now on a jungle planet, ended up comatose after Mace Windu arrested her) as if it's still happened in the new canon. Fair enough, because Shatterpoint was a good story, but it seems a bit strange that they'd have kept something that big (even if they're not using all of it as backstory).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sentinel Red posted:

Seriously, that was some Clone Wars cartoon level rear end kicking dished out there. They may as well just bombard the entire planet from orbit.

Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars or Dave Filoni Clone Wars?

I mean, I like them both a lot, but only one of them has Mace Windu punching out an entire army of battle droids.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the characters is a senile old man who became enamoured of the tales of the Jedi Knights (this being when it was assumed that the Jedi had been dead and gone for quite a long time, rather than 20 years) and decided to emulate his idols. His name?

Don-Wan Kihotay.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Force Unleashed pretty much shits over everything that happened in the OT and is like DBZ without the humor or sense of irony. The story in it is worse than the prequels and I stand by that.

And still people came out of the woodwork to whinge about the Rebels cartoon because "STARKILLER FORMED THE REBELLION!" :qq:"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

Thanks for reminding me. :barf: :barf:

I am so glad they threw the old continuity in the trash.

Wasn't it during the production TFU (or TFU2) where George Lucas stopped by at LucasArts to see how things were going and they invited him to suggest some names for Starkiller's Sith persona and he came up with "Darth Icky" and "Darth Insanius" and none of them cold tell if he was being serious or not?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dark Horse's Legacy comic, while quite good, ran out of "Darth" names pretty quick.

No one's ever gonna top the Emperor's mentally ill (inasmuch as he was a pacifist, which the Emperor considered a mental illness) illegitimate son, whose defining feature was that he had tree eyes - "Triclops".

He was from the notorious Jedi Prince / Glove of Darth Vader series for young readers. There was another guy with three eyes who tried to impersonate Triclops, called Trioculus. He was assisted by an Imperial officer called Grand Moff Hissa. Another Imperial in the same series was called Grand Admiral Grunger. His aim was to procure the titular glove of Darth Vader, so the Prophet of the Dark Side would give him his "dark blessing" and proclaim him Palpatine's rightful heir.

There is a scene where Trioculus marries a robotic duplicate of Princess Leia in an Imperial wedding officiated by Grand Moff Hissa, who reads from a Dark Side Bible he obtained from the Church of the Dark Side. The robot Leia shoots him with her laser eyes.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 17, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Moff Hissa there is in a Professor X hover chair because his legs got eaten or melted or something when he and Trioculus decided to take a break from their hunt for the glove of Darth Vader so they could go and poach endangered wildlife on a planet they happened to be passing.

Right. So, the thing that really kicked off the EU in the 1990s was Tim Zahn's Heir to the Empire / Thrawn trilogy. However, the man who probably had the biggest impact on what the EU looked liked in the decade was a guy called Kevin J. Anderson, who wrote several novels and comics but also had a fair amount of influence as an editor and contributor to the reference books that defined a lot of the EU at a time when it was the only new Star Wars there was.

One of his most notorious novels, in many ways the apotheosis of every cliché about the Star Wars EU in the Bantam Spectra era, was Darksaber. Yes. Darksaber. In this novel, we meet Durga the Hutt. He schemes to steal the Death Star plans and build his own superweapon in the asteroid field from ESB - the Darksaber. Because it's shaped like a giant lighsaber. Except he's evil, so it's called the Darksaber. When the New Republic finds out, they send a strike team commanded by General Crix Madine (one of the officers who briefed the Rebels on the planned attack on the Death Star in ROTJ) to investigate and sabotage the station. He is captured and shot dead (he is, in fact, the first named movie character to be killed off in an EU story). Only it's a massive shaggy dog story because the space jellyfish Durga is using to build the thing are incompetent, and as soon as he tries to pilot it out of the asteroid field the main gun fails and it gets smashed to pieces. All this happens independently of anything the heroes actually do.

Meanwhile, Luke is accompanying his girlfriend du jour, Callista (who is the disembodied mind of an Old Republic Jedi that Luke fell in love with while she was trapped in the computer core of another Imperial superweapon called the Eye of Palpatine for 30 years reincarnated in the body of one of Luke's Jedi students) to locations from the movies where he felt a strong connection to the Force to help her re-establish her own lost Force sensitivity. He takes her to Hoth, where he escaped the wampa cave and saw Obi-Wan's spirit telling him to go and train with Yoda, when they find a party there to hunt wampas. Suddenly, they're attacked by a massive horde of wampas, who are under the command of the one Luke dismembered back in Episode V, which has apparently been waiting all this time to take revenge.

There's a third plot where one of Anderson's other recurring characters, Admiral Daala (Grand Moff Tarkin's ex-girlfriend, who is supposed to be a military genius but is actually brain-damaged) tries to use her fleet to attack Luke's Jedi academy, only for his students to use some kind of Force amplifying technique to Force push a dozen orbiting star destroyers to the far side of the system. There's some other stuff but it's pretty dull by comparison.

And people wonder why Disney wanted rid of this stuff. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 18, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He probably had a hand in the World Devastators (flying factories that suck up minerals from a planet and convert them into droid TIE fighters, which is actually a pretty fun idea) from Dark Empire, which was mainly written by Veitch. I'm pretty sure the Galaxy Gun (a gigantic space station that can fire planet-destroying missiles anywhere in the galaxy through hyperspace) and the Eclipse (the Emperor's personal flagship, a massive star destroyer with a planet-destroying Death Star laser on its prow) were all him, though.

Zsinj was fun because when he was introduced (in The Courtship of Princess Leia a.k.a. The Erotic Adventures of Luke Skywalker), he was almost entirely incidental, and portrayed as an incompetent nincompoop (he even looked sort of like Captain Mainwaring from Dad's Army) who only had power because he had a super star destroyer and a superweapon that allowed him to block planets off from their stars (his main henchman was an Aryan with platinum fingernails he used as torture instruments) but then Aaron Allston decided he liked the character and used him as the main villain in some of the X-Wing books, which retconned it so Zsinj is basically a Bond villain, and he and his subordinates were all former military intelligence operatives who play up their cartoon supervillainy to misdirect their enemies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

Oh, Darksaber. You so cray. So many memories came flooding back as I read that recap.

Wasn't Daala actually shown to have made her way up the ranks due to....um, sexy times?

Daala eventually becomes the head of state in the New Republic.

This is a bit like Heydrich surviving the Second World War and becoming prime minister of the United Kingdom in the 1980s after spending the preceding 20 years leading an one and off guerilla war against it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is the recolouring in the Marvel omnibuses especially bad? I think I've seen some samples that didn't look great but I'm not sure whether they were from the omni.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I am also curious on how many spin offs we are going to see from it as well. I know Dark Horse would publish a comic that told you the important back story of everyone down to the Gonk Droid.

Nah, Dark Horse wouldn't have done that. That was more the province of the Bantam Spectra short story anthologies, Star Wars Insider magazine articles and the West End RPG campaign guides.

However, I am given to understand that they might be published a book which looks at the backstory of some of the background alien characters who appear in TFA.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cptn_dr posted:

Christmas came early this year!

Life Day. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrFlibble posted:

I wonder if they're going to publish any comics set in the new era soon or if they're going to keep it in the OT until episode 8 is released. I'd love to read a Kylo Ren miniseries but you know if there are any twists in that backstory then they won't be wasted on the comics.

Last time Marvel did that they ended up publishing an annual in between IV and V which included a story from the Clone Wars relating an adventure shared by Obi-Wan and his two apprentices: Luke's unnamed father and Darth Vader. :v:

Any parts of Kylo Ren's backstory that aren't covered in the movies will probably be in novels rather than comics. I would like to think they will at least be better than Legacy of the Force. Granted, those books were pretty terrible, so it wouldn't be that much of an achievement.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

This difference now is that LucasFilm has a person to review every proposed story idea. He probably doesn't know exactly what's coming up, but I bet he has ideas of the broad strokes.

They had that before - it's actually the same person (Leland Chee) and their team.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

Not when Marvel was publishing comics between episodes IV and V.

Right, fair enough. I thought you meant "the old EU in general".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best Star Wars supplementary material has always been the comics.*

Like, all the way back in 1978, the Marvel comics were better than Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

*Some of the games are also very good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Keiya posted:

You're forgetting the visual dictionary type books, those probably rank above the comics still

I mean in terms of media that tell original stories outside the movies, the comics are consistently the best compared with the novels or whatever else.

"Supplementary" was the wrong word to choose. The old Essential Guide books were my favourites there, especially the New/Essential Chronologies, where the authors were basically given free reign over how to portray the ancient galaxy. They explored the whole concept introduced in KOTOR that the Hutts were the dominant power in the galaxy before the Republic was established, and invented all these cool ideas like the Pius Dea Crusades, which were a period 12,000 years before ANH where a human supremacist religious cult seized control of the Republic and spent the next millennium mounting anti-alien campaigns against the non-human alien species in the Outer Rim.

The original Essential Guide line (Characters, Vehicles & Vessels, Weapons & Technology, Alien Species, Droids, Planets & Moons, and the Chronology) were great because they had this earnestness about them and treated the setting as though they were writing an honest-to-goodness academic history book. Granted, that's probably part of the reason why Star Wars fans (i.e. Wookieepedia) have this reputation for being joyless grognards, but it's loads of fun when you're 12.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 24, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pimpmust posted:

Kidding aside, I think there's plenty of room for both sorts of stories/versions using "the Force". The Lucas...ian one where it's some weird pulpy mash-up of eastern Ying-Yang "Living Force, Two Sides In/Out of Balance" meets pure GOOD vs EVIL "and when I say Bring Balance To The Force I mean Kill All The Baddies", and the stories that try to have some sort of sliding scale / shades of grey caught in the middle / the Force as more of a tool that can be used for good/bad purposes (while still having a will of its own), the "We just thought too hard about this whole The Force business and whelp-" version.

Yeah, I think Lucas's idea was that the Force has this natural state of equilibrium which the Jedi maintain, but the presence of the Sith, who have grown more and more powerful up to the point where Palpatine is powerful enough that the Jedi can't even see that he exists, is what throws it out of balance, so "bringing balance to the Force" would be achieved by destroying the Sith.

It is interesting, though, that none of the movies explicitly mention that there's such a thing as a "light side of the Force" which corresponds to the dark side up until TFA. The closest you get is in ROTJ when Luke tells Leia he's confident he can turn Vader back to "the good side", which you can probably take to mean a number of things. Sure, "the light side" gets mentioned a lot in the comics and books and games and whatever, but for a long time, the various supplementary materials wouldn't take about "the light side and the dark side", they'd talk about, "the Force and its dark side", which suggests that the dark side is something fundamentally unnatural, sort of like a malignant tumour growing on the Force.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ShineDog posted:

My read of balance in the force would be your modern jedi need to accept that good and bad feelings in people are natural and ok and that trying to hide yourself off from emotion and love and feeling and the ups and downs that come with that is as bad and dumb as surrendering yourself to rage and passion .

I think that was also one of Jolee's lessons in the first KOTOR game.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the point of Kreia was that she was a nihilist above all else (or maybe a kind of Force misotheist) and her affiliation with the Sith, at least by the time you meet her in the game, is a means to an end for her, because she wants to destroy the Force. So the Jedi and the Sith are playing a game with each other, but Kreia's plan is to sweep all the pieces off the table and smash the board.

It has been a long while since I played either KOTOR game so I might be going on faulty memories of the game, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He has seen a... security hologram of him... killing younglings.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Similar question, I've seen it mentioned a few time that the movies straight up calls Jedi a religion, but the only times I can think of is Han and Motti in ANH and both times it's being dismissed as hokey superstition. Are there any instances of someone that actually understands the force calling it a religion?

The novelisation of Episode III has an expanded version of the scene where Mace Windu and his cannon fodder go to arrest Palpatine, and he says something like, "Come now, Master Windu, even if I was a Sith Lord, there's nothing in the constitution that says I couldn't hold office because of my religious beliefs," which I quite enjoyed.

Re: EU holdovers: Darth Bane is still part of the backstory. He appeared as a Sith ghost (voiced by Mark Hamill!) in one of the Netflix episodes of the Clone Wars.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Jedi are mainline Protestants, while the Sith are what Jack Chick imagines Roman Catholics to be like. :v:

I can't remember whether they ever did any stories where a Jedi came to the Order with existing religious beliefs and couldn't square them with the Force, Jedi being more or less trained from birth and all that. However, there was a story (The Truce At Bakura) where Luke has this fling with an ex-Imperial senator who's part of a religion predicated on the idea of cosmic balance, which is opposed to the Jedi because they believe that their connection gives them too much power and thus upsets the equilibrium of the universe. Something like that. It wasn't a great story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cptn_dr posted:

I enjoyed it. It made Malak into not a giant chump, which I appreciated.

Though it did give him a bit of a silly surname.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The real reason Malak betrayed Revan was that when they weren't out conquering the galaxy, Revan spent all his spare time griefing Malak when they played Star Wars: Battlefront.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Reset Smith posted:

A phrase that had never before been uttered

Everyone said that when he was in the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KittyEmpress posted:

The 3d Clone Wars is canon, as is Rebels. Tartakovski's was literally made not-canon even before episode 3 came out, because it differed in power scope too much for lucasfilm's liking.

Pretty sure they even stopped producing DVDs of the Tartakovsky Clone Wars - I haven't looked myself but I've heard they can be pretty tough to get hold of nowadays.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, sure, I was just mentioning it as an observation about how it was taken out of canon - which, as we know, was incredibly rare for the Star Wars EU (and, as we also know, one of its most outstanding problems before it went kaput).

The only other thing which was removed from canon that occurs to me off the top of my head were the Jedi Prince / Glove of Darth Vader books, which I think were retconned into being bedtime stories "based on real events" that Han and Leia told their children.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Squizzle posted:

A rogue alchemist has rubbed an elixir all over my body, on all of my skin and hair,

This is how Luke became a Jedi Master in one of the Kevin J. Anderson novels.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sometimes it seems like I'm the only one who hates the Force Unleashed and the huge poo poo it took all over the original trilogy. So many people are like "I thought the story in those games was good!" :barf:

Indeed, when Rebels was announced, there were loads of people throwing a wobble about how it was just plain wrong, "Because Starkiller founded the Rebellion, not these nobodies! :argh:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Would anyone mind if I try doing a sort of mini-retrospective post about one of the Dark Horse comics at some point? I've been thinking about doing something like that for a while.