Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OhFunny posted:

Stuart Immonen will be taking over at issue #8.
Hell yeah.

Immonen doing Star Wars sounds like one of those things that just makes sense.

After being initially not too enamored with the main series I've turned a corner and really enjoy it. I haven't picked up Kanan (any opinions at all?), but Leia and Vader are great and those two new miniseries sound fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, if the Ewok Adventure isn't canon, we may as well just throw out all of the movies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

VirtualStranger posted:

This is wrong.

"Are The Old Republic expansions canon?"
"No — BioWare “has created their own universe that is so fantastic,” we’re not going to change it, says Hidalgo."

The Lucasfilm Story Group has stated they have no plans to contradict anything set before Episode I yet, however they reserve the right to do so in the future.

The new canon is:

Ep. I, II, III, IV, V, VI,
The Clone Wars film and TV show
All Rebels episodes and short films
The new Marvel comics (and the Dark Horse miniseries Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir)
The new novels A New Dawn, Heir to the Jedi, Lords of the Sith, and Tarkin
Anything else published after September 2014.

If it was made before 2015 and it isn't on that list, it's not canon, period.

I went to check out the Amazon reviews of those novels to see if there's any fun toothgnashing at Disney ruining their EU, but it's mostly just people saying the novels aren't very good. No fun at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

VirtualStranger posted:

Darth Vader #5 is out today.

Instead of just posting when a comic comes out, maybe tell us something about it or what you think about it or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wonder if they're not also doing that to make them easier to read for new comic readers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Nah, that was the Zahn books.

What's the awesome thing that happened in the comics? I crave spoilers
In SW #6: We learn Han Solo has a wife/ex-wife who's not terribly happy with him
In both SW #6 and DV #6: Vader learns who destroyed the Death Star and is naturally very angry that the Emperor lied to him about Padme's death

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Director's cut" comics are generally just the original comic followed by some uncolored pages and *maybe* some script pages. I've never seen one worth it unless you're really interested in the creative process.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

Red Letter Media says it best when talking about Ep 2. There is obviously a ton of history between Anakin and Obi Wan but you only get snippets of it so Anakins actions don't really make sense since you don't have the overall broader context of their relationship.
I don't agree with this. Not to defend these movies *specifically* but you don't need entire life stories to understand the feelings people might have for each other, especially when you *do* know they've spent quite a lot of time (most of Anakin's life) together.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ShineDog posted:

Any word on when we'll start seeing trades of these?
Amazon has Star Wars Vol. 1 October 6, Darth Vader Vol. 1 October 20, and both Kanan Vol. 1 and Princess Leia on November 3. Expect all four two or three weeks earlier in comic stores.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think you needed to spoil that. It's only slightly more of a spoiler than "Lando is a comic starring Lando Calrissian."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bloodly posted:

TIE Fighters? Not Interceptors?

Geez. Wrecked as always.

Star Wars takes place very shortly after A New Hope. Interceptors aren't common at all yet as the Empire didn't really start spinning up production until after the Battle of Yavin. They only comprised around 20% of the Empire's forces by the Battle of Endor.
:goonsay:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Which is all kind of funny since The Force Awakens shows updated X-Wings and TIE Fighters, so an inability to let go of the original movies is as canon as canon gets.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Decius posted:

Yeah, and it is one of the more disappointing things I've seen yet. Even if it does make sense, 40 year old designs aren't obsolete in the real world military automatically either. Although the TIE-Fighter was already poo poo at the time of the OT, being faced out for the TIE-Interceptor (far cooler design anyway).
Still, I hope we see new designs and new approaches going forward, instead of reusing the same old poo poo over and over again, because fans are super-conservative crybabies who don't like anything but slight changes (like putting rally-stripes onto the X-Wing).
How much are nerds making GBS threads themselves that the X-Wings have redesigned engines?

The Taint Reaper posted:

I thought the new movie tie fighters had transforming wings that went from straight to curved?
If they do, the toys aren't depicting this.

I just got Taint Reaped, didn't I?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

B-Wings are so cool they got their own X-Wing expansion.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

That is pretty amazing.

Yea, I remember those as a kid and being confused as hell. I think Disney probably has someone in charge making sure things don't conflict with the films. And people who write for Marvel would be used to dealing with that kind of situation. You can't have during an event the X-men doing something that would conflict with what was happening in Thor.

Lucasfilm had a person whose job was just that. I'd be very surprised if they fired him after the acquisition.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Yeah but they had Jan Duursema on art.

Yeah but Marvel put Salvadore Larocca on art.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chewbacca's a five issue miniseries, so it'll be mostly over by the time this debuts. Hell, if they give it the Lando release schedule, it'll have been over for awhile.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The next issue of Shattered Empire is the last one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nah, that's how it was, and it's weird, but whatever. They probably realized they want to get a trade out before the movie and give it time to sell so rushed it out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Speaking of: there's a huge continuity problem in the newest Shattered Empire. When they get to the Naboo fighters, they all note that there's no astromech droids, but when they're actually in space fighting, all three have them. Whoops!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I suppose that's possible. It's a minor quibble either way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nothing has been announced or solicited as of yet. They seem to be keeping these things close to the vest until they *have* to announce, and I'd bet they'll wait until at least a little while into its theatrical run (with a trade coming between the end of the theatrical run and home release).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm merely speculating. It's also entirely possible they'll release a trade or something right around release, but December solicitations are out and there's nothing on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

4 is the last one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Force sensitives never went away. They just weren't being found and trained.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like Chewbacca being a fairly small story, but he also seems totally incidental to the plot, as a result. It's like Duggan had an unused script sitting around and just plugged Chewbacca into it. Not a complaint, per se, but it feels a bit weird.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Reminder to pick up Star Wars: Vader Down tomorrow since it's part one of the Vader Down crossover between Star Wars and Darth Vader. (But read it after Star Wars #12, I assume.)

Vader.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Darth Vader is the better of the two, in my opinion. Not by a lot, but still.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't read a whole lot of EU stuff, thankfully, but I did read the Tales of the Bounty Hunters anthology book, where we learn that IG-88 was actually multiple droids and they eventually uploaded their consciousness into the second Death Star intending to take over the galaxy. Good thing there's no way the Rebellion could blow another one up!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This difference now is that LucasFilm has a person to review every proposed story idea. He probably doesn't know exactly what's coming up, but I bet he has ideas of the broad strokes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

They had that before - it's actually the same person (Leland Chee) and their team.

Not when Marvel was publishing comics between episodes IV and V.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's not that many, and none are particularly good, I understand. (Because they are Star Wars books.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

I wonder if that evil cyborg Mon Calamari's lightsaber is purple for a reason.
Yeah I was wondering this, too. It's not Mace Windu's though, unless Larocca didn't look it up at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's no reason they can't have GREATEST PILOT EVER Poe Dameron flying missions and blowing things up though.

(Am I the only one who got a bit annoyed by how often the movie had to tell us Poe is the greatest pilot in the Resistance?)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I liked Poe, but it still felt a bit much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Comfortador posted:

What would you say Finn's age was? 20 something? Hasn't it been 20 years since the destruction of the 2nd Death Star? I would think that would be too soon for the First Order to just snap into existence the moment the Death Star was destroyed. Maybe the Empire was doing that as well based looking at how the time lines up. (unless my understanding of the time line is wrong, or I'm just looking too deep into a simple message of 'Empire = USSR' 'First Order = ISIS/Terrorism')

30ish years since Return of the Jedi. Finn is probably 20-something, yes. The First Order came out of the remaining Empire forces pretty quickly after the dissolution of the Empire.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Has anyone read the Obi-Wan and Anakin book yet? One issue and it's already done more to establish Anakin's fall than the prequels.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a number of novels that have come out spanning the time between Jedi and TFA where that could come from. I haven't read them so I can't really verify it but it makes sense.

Post-Disney novels probably hold greater canon than old EU stuff did when they were being written.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's ongoing. Volume 2 just came out.

For some added info:

Star Wars, Darth Vader, and Kanan are ongoing, though Kanan has been canceled.
Princess Leia, Shattered Empire, Lando, Chewbacca, and Obi-Wan and Anakin are minis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Issue 12 will be the last one. It's selling like 1/3-1/2 of what the other two ongoings are doing and speculation is that Marvel/Disney want Star Wars ongoing to be doing really well, so they'll probably slot some more minis into its publishing spot.