Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

VirtualStranger posted:

The ice cream maker guy from Cloud City got an action figure.

Back in the day when I was a much bigger Star Wars nerd, I wanted to try and put together a stop-motion fan film project of recreating the Star Wars movies shot for shot using nothing but the action figures. It's not an unrealistic idea since they made figures of literally everyone.

I used to have a shitton of Star Wars comics and novels and was pretty much a completionist, but I recently purged my collection down to just the stuff I actually enjoy and would want to re-read in the future. Pretty much just the X-wing and the "Tales from..." books, and the X-wing, Boba Fett, and Tales of the Jedi comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The force unleashed has stupid super force powers because its a video game, I recall watching a making of video or some such where one of the devs says "if we were making this story in another medium, the force powers would be more restrained".

Of course, the story sucks too, but the powers were fun, IMO. At least in the first one, didn't play the second.
The gameplay in the second is better (and more hilarious), except for a bullshit platforming section and un-fun boss fight in the last level of the game. If nothing else it's worth playing through it on Easy and steamrolling the enemies with ridiculous Force powers, it's super fun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mind you, my hatred of that game probably stems from the fact that I got the Wii version. Not a good choice.
drat son, you hosed up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I could go for a Rogue Squadron successor series about Poe and Wedge bro-ing it up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

People who diss the Rogue Squadron series because it's not X-wing are monsters who have taken human form to deceive us.
Do you mean the books? The Rogue Squadron comics are better than the Stackpole books (but not the Allston books, which are the best fiction in the EU).
The Rogue Squadron series ends on a bit of a whimper but that's more due to Stackpole writing himself into a corner, both within the series itself and the larger "canon" of the time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

Oh I thought we were talking about the video games.
Oh the video games own too (although the X-wing/TIE Fighter games are better than the Rogue Squadron games).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Endless Mike posted:

Wow the greatest X-Wing pilot in the Resistance! He's so great and just the best pilot!
You say this like its a bad thing

(Hint: it's the best thing)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gammatron 64 posted:

I fuckin' love Wedge Antilles and Poe Dameron is Wedge Antilles 2.0 so he is A-OK in my book.

Also I am secure enough in my sexuality to say that he is handsome as all gently caress.

I really do hope that they bring back Rogue Squadron. The X-Wing books, Rogue Squadron games \ comics and the X-Wing\TIE Fighter games are like the only bits of EU that I legitimately love.

It's like we're twins. :hfive:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Teek posted:

Still thought it would have been nice for Lucasfilm to do the EU die-hards a solid and write one final wrap-up story for that universe. Reference everything, good and bad, and go out with a bang. Then never talk about it again.
They were doing that with the New Jedi Order (which is where the old EU should have ended) and then they just kept going and it wasn't pretty.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My secret hope is that the Rogue One comic has a cameo/name-drop of Kyle Katarn. He deserves it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kyle Katarn will live on in my heart :allears: (alongside Mara Jade, Maarek Stele, Ace Azzameen, Dash Rendar, and Keyan Farlander)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

IDW also does Judge Dredd comics alongside 2000AD if I'm remembering right.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

jivjov posted:

The final page of the Rogue One comics adaptation is really nice.

Almost makes up for the rest of it being rather mediocre.

What's the last page?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jedi posted:

I kinda dig all the X-Wing books. The Wraiths were absolutely the best part of them, though.

Wraiths ruled, but Starfighters of Adumar was the best (and funniest) book in the series.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That is.... one hell of a specific photo to copy. :raise:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Were the old Dark Horse “Star Wars Tales” issues ever collected into trade paperbacks or omnibuses or whatever? I’m pruning my single issue collection and I’d love to replace my singles of that series with TPBs if possible.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm paring down my collection of individual issues and trying to turn them into trade paperbacks so I can put them on a bookshelf. Going back through the collection, I was real big into Star Wars and bought anything that anyone published, regardless of quality. I've already bought omnibus collections of the stuff I really liked (Shadows of the Empire, Tales of the Jedi, Boba Fett, Rogue Squadron) and the only stuff left that I'd like to collect are the Tales comics. They were hit-or-miss, but I thought they were overall a lot of fun and when they hit (Vader vs Maul), they knocked it out of the park.

Edit-- was the recent Tag & Bink collection only released digitally?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 24, 2018

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

pubic works project posted:

I loving loved Star Wars: Republic.

Also loved the first 10 issues or so of SW: Empire.

I thought it was kind of clever how all of the Clone Wars media released between 2002 and 2005 was released in chronological order, since the Clone Wars covered a three year gap in real time. And I do mean all of it, across all mediums. That took a level of coordination that made Shadows of the Empire’s cross-media campaign look like amateur hour.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That's not what those songs are called! One is "Mad About Me" and I forget the other one.

I, uh, read that one book about what everyone in the cantina was doing that day.

Don’t be ashamed, that book (and the Jabba’s Palace one) are cool. When I massively scaled back my collection of SW novels, those were some of the few I kept (along with, like, the Xwing books).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's one story from the Mos Eisley Cantina one I really liked, about how Labria (the guy with devil horns) was actually a fugitive war criminal and music-lover who orchestrated this overly-complex scheme to get the Modal Nodes a residency at the cantina. It was like something from an Elmore Leonard novel.

Labria’s story gets a payoff in Boba Fett’s story in the Bounty Hunter anthology, too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well I mean a lot of them did, they just did other stuff later. That soup-vampire guy just smokes his pipe if I remember right.

Isn’t Wuher shouting “No blasters! No blasters” the one linking moment that happens in all of the stories?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I finally took the plunge and started reading the Doctor Aphra trade paperbacks, and I'm having a real good time. I've finished the first volume and just finished the "annual" in volume 2. I only bought the first two because the Amazon reviews for those two were largely high, but volume 3's reviews took a nosedive. Did I do the right thing in skipping that one?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Endless Mike posted:

Uh, the EU was doing that poo poo in like the 80s, and it's still nowhere as bad since there's not a new version of the story about the skull Luke throws at the Rancor.

Was there an old version of that story?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Top Gun posted:

gently caress Chuck Wending

He’s still butthurt fans didn’t like his lovely rear end novels that are now unfortunately canon

Marvel 100% made the right choice firing him

Canon is a literally useless construct from a fan perspective, and is only marginally useful from a creator perspective.

Also Mara Jade never died, and anyone who thinks otherwise can fight me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

jivjov posted:

Unless you want to, you know, discuss an ongoing narrative...
Not even then, if the narrative can get dropped or retconned at a moment’s notice. How well did “discussions according to canon” go the day before and the day after Disney hit the purge button on the old Star Wars EU?

Like, it’s all fiction. Fans talk about Marvel or DC comic books without deferring to “canon”, and said comics actively ignore or contradict each other for the sake of telling an interesting story. poo poo, even the MCU movies do it, with narratives that are interesting and character building in isolation (Tony’s character arc in Iron Man 3, or Thor’s in Ragnarok) and they get thrown right out the window in the next movie.

Universe building can be neat, and as a fan of the old EU I liked that things were interconnected, but at the same time there needs to be enough leeway to allow interesting/good stories to happen without authors feeling like someone else’s unrelated project from 5 years ago wrote them into a corner.
Additionally, it’s good when lovely narratives can be recognized and purged, continuity be damned. Like when the Clone Wars cartoon actively undid Karen Traviss’ Mandalorian nonsense.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does it matter if any of this is "canon" or not?

You know, I still read my old Dark Horse comics from time to time. That they're "not canon" doesn't really matter. I still like the stories.

gently caress, they were barely "canon" when they were being published because George Lucas would've just ignored them and done his own thing if he'd wanted to make a new movie or a new tv series.

Actually, that's what actually happened and it was fine.

Likewise I haven't read any of the new novels because I don't expect any of them to be any good (I haven't seen anything to disabuse me of the notion - I had a go at Tim Zahn's first new Thrawn novel and all it did was make me realise the Thrawn trilogy was never that good; I just liked it when I was 12), and I don't feel like I've lost out for not following every "canon" thing out there.

It’s almost as if canon is a useless concept from a fan perspective.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

jivjov posted:

Unless you want to discuss an ongoing narrative.
I addressed that in the post I linked.

Also, “canon” and “continuity” aren’t synonyms.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nina posted:

I disagree. Canon isn’t needed to discuss an ongoing narrative, only to catalogue it. Some of my favorite discussion on media happens over narrative properties with dubious canonicity

Not even to catalogue it. Like, what difference does that make.

Canon is mildly useful if an author is collaborating with other people on a larger project and the goal is a really tightly-plotted narrative that interweaves across multiple things, and to a lesser degree if authors want to casually reference each other’s work, but if it’s just nominally separate stories then canon can only hinder good storytelling.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Actually here's a post I masturbated out on the subject in the Book Barn Star Wars thread the other day:

Maybe I've got a cynical view of it. I think I'm being realistic.

Here’s some similar articles:

https://medium.com/@My_ComicRelief/we-can-work-it-out-the-needless-nature-of-star-wars-canon-arguments-8d7c8f74486d

I’m trying to track down another really good article, I’ll link it when I find it again.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wheat Loaf posted:

This fella is still a lot less cynical about the whole canon enterprise than I am. :v:

Don’t worry, the other article I’m tracking down is real cynical. :v:

I used to get in canon debates with members of the AvP community about whether the expanded universe is canon, now I get in different canon debates about whether canon matters at all. :suicide:

The AvP “canon” is such a nonsense mess that changes constantly that it’s truly meaningless. Like, Fox will come down from on high and say “everything from THIS POINT FORWARD is canon”, and then 2 years later Ridley Scott will release a movie that not only contradicts some of the “new canon” materials, but contradicts his own earlier movies.
Not to mention very little individual Alien/Predator stuff connects with anything else on a narrative level.

Nothing matters, enjoy what you want, ignore what you don’t.

That said, I’m a hypocrite because I get mildly annoyed when old Star Wars stuff I liked gets definitively contradicted (Keyan Farlander is no longer the lone surviving Y-wing pilot from the Battle of Yavin), especially when it’s an unnecessary change (again, Farlander), and I get a mild thrill when old EU stuff is “made canon” again (Dash Rendar, the old Han Solo adventures, the old Lando Calrissian adventures, Teras Kasi).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

site posted:

I think this maybe the only place i can drop this in long after the fact but i enjoyed your LPs

Thanks! I wish I still had the raw video files so I could reupload them to YouTube, but they were on a hard drive that failed. Part of me wants to remake them, but I don’t have the same free time I had 10 years ago. :sigh:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, I'm keen to read it if you find it.

Yeah, exactly.

Found it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/04/enough-with-the-true-canon/477837/

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I hear Ice-T from Law & Order SVU.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

site posted:

if dash rendar doesnt show up in the post esb run im declaring it non-canon

For what it’s worth, Dash Rendar is canon again courtesy of one of the recent “Tales from Vandor” anthology.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I always got a giggle out of the Star Wars: Union comic, where the artist didn’t use photo references but it’s really, really blatantly obvious that certain characters resemble certain famous actors.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dash Rendar is cool and good, gently caress the haters.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The crossover is going to end up being a tweaked retelling of Shadows of the Empire and I am extremely okay with that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chairman Capone posted:

Speaking of Aphra, I saw that Durge is returning in the Aphra comic soon. Perhaps related to the fact that the Tartakovsky Clone Wars is going on Disney+ on April 2.

Oh poo poo, they’re bringing Durge back? That’s awesome.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Boba Fett was never dead. :colbert:

Also wait a sec, some book killed Wedge? What the gently caress is this?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So wait there were Star Wars comics being published by both Marvel (which Disney owns) *and* IDW (which they don’t own)?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Anyone read the Poe Dameron or Lando comics? Are they any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I read volume 1 of the Poe comics, the bad guy is a hoot. I went ahead and bought volumes 2-5.

Also I got this in the mail, it’s a signed oversized trading card.