Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
My computer was stolen! :smith:

I'm tempted to buy all the parts individually and make it myself like I did with the rig that was stolen, but I'm not up to date on where the good price points relative to performance are. Plus my cash game is weak at the moment because I just moved.

I still have a monitor, keyboard, mouse and stuff. They just took the sound system and the tower. Anybody got recommendations for a good, preassembled gaming rig that's somewhere around $700? I'm willing to go a little higher if the price point relative to performance warrants it.

Thank you Imp Zone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Is insurance covering it

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Goondolences.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Also, It's been a couple of years since I've had to gently caress with PC building/upgrading so I'm out of the loop but here's a place to start:
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
As far as pre-builds, gently caress if I know.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

that sucks OP gently caress those assholes

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Never get pre-builts unless you just want an office computer because they will almost always skip corners to make the PC. Also, Logical Increments is an ok site but there's a few things you should be careful about. The RAM they recommend tends to fluctuate a lot due to price changes and sometimes it might give you RAM that has giant heatsinks that will make it hard to insert some HSF's, so be aware of that. Also, they don't recommend liquid coolers for some reason, but that probably doesn't matter because you're on a budget. Finally, they tend to overrate some cases because they're more expensive, not because they're necessarily better.

Really sorry to hear that you got robbed, OP. I've had that happen before and it sucks.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

you have my moral support, OP

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

IMO, since it sounds like you won't be gaming any time soon, I suggest sending your money to BonziBuddy in the form of Steam Gifts! https://www.steam.com/users/BonziBuddy for more detail's.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
#REKT, Original Poster.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'm tempted to buy all the parts individually and make it myself like I did with the rig that was stolen, but I'm not up to date on where the good price points relative to performance are. Plus my cash game is weak at the moment because I just moved.

I still have a monitor, keyboard, mouse and stuff. They just took the sound system and the tower. Anybody got recommendations for a good, preassembled gaming rig that's somewhere around $700? I'm willing to go a little higher if the price point relative to performance warrants it.

Thank you Imp Zone!

There's an enormous thread on this website in one of the many computer sub forums about this very topic that has to be remade every month or so because it gets hundreds of posts a day or something like. Or maybe it used to. Anyway that's what I used when building my current rig and it worked swimmingly. Cheers

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
sorry op.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Prepare, and then go and get it back.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
f

Dec 26, 2012

Wormskull posted:

IMO, since it sounds like you won't be gaming any time soon, I suggest sending your money to BonziBuddy in the form of Steam Gifts! https://www.steam.com/users/BonziBuddy for more detail's.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Good responses thread. Unfortunately no insurance moneys. If I'm going to make it again, I guess llet's do it right and check out the computer subforum. Had to get the go ahead from the IMPER comrades.

Even in the blackest night, the gaming win of the imp zone shines bright~~

Soral
May 30, 2009

im very sorry to hear that, op

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
well OP my advice to you is get a cubic case. you'll thank me later, after the improved airflow, layout and cable management, and sleek visual design, plus other features, makes the best computer you'll ever have

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Next computer put some venomous spiders in, just as a lil karma for the thief.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
what happened op

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Do NOT give a rats rear end about this dork getting fleeced by some swarthy drug smoking apes. Gas and ban.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Also, reddits resources are more up to date than whatever crap is on this website, and the community is about a million times larger. Try r/buildapc.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Do NOT give a rats rear end about this dork getting fleeced by some swarthy drug smoking apes. Gas and ban.

lmfao

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
who steals a computer

who gets their computer stolen

gamerdolences i guess

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mung Dynasty posted:

who steals a computer

who gets their computer stolen

gamerdolences i guess

this is why ytou get the biggest tower possible

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Also, reddits resources are more up to date than whatever crap is on this website, and the community is about a million times larger. Try r/buildapc.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i cant believe some noob would do that to you, OP. i had a laptop stolen a few years ago but it was broken anyways so it wasnt as big a loss.

there are better words posted in this thread, and i do not know poo poo about building a PC, but don't forget about craigslist because people frequently just want to get rid of poo poo on there and will sell it for cheap. my computer broke recently and i was able to snag a backup laptop off of there for $100.

cons: you might end up buying your stolen computer back lol

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Do this OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4oB28ksiIo[nsfw I guess]

Also I am deeply sorry for your loss.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 27, 2015

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

Good luck, OP. I hope you find ways to game while getting a new PC.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

elf help book posted:

this is why ytou get the biggest tower possible

this is good advice i have a lian li pc-x2000f its absurd and thwarts thievery

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
I hope this picture of a GTX 970 helps you in this trying time, op.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
You could get a bearbones kit. I did that once and my PC is pretty decent for having been purchased 3 years ago.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Dude you're gettin a Dell

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thank you Imp Zone!

I am sorry for your lots.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm wiring OP 300 dollars for a mid to high end graphics card. This could happen to anyone. Pray that this thief is soon put behind bars.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

I'm wiring OP 300 dollars for a mid to high end graphics card. This could happen to anyone. Pray that this thief is soon put behind bars.

Wire that to Bonzibuddy64 instead.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Wire that to Bonzibuddy64 instead.

I already send him weekly payments.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

I already send him weekly payments.

It's time for him to get a bonus.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

move this to YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I've been looking at the reddit/buildapc stuff during breaks but it's hard to find any partlist to steal because they are all dropping major buckaroos on their rigs.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

move this to YOSPOS

no, dont

• Locked thread