Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Onion Knight posted:

I thought that the old thread was just closed because we pushed shitposting to new, unprecedented limits.

Feels like a challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
My asperger's is making it hard to tell if there is sarcasm there.

I can't imagine I'm missing anything important in chat.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

nullscan posted:

Why in the christ would anyone fake being here? I've been here for 5 years cumulatively. Another 2 at least up in Seoul soon.

I'd really like the GPS if you still have it, I'll be in Seoul parts 1-6th. :worship:

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

AmbientParadox posted:

Gangneung is removing the barbed wire fences. That's going to be awesome to have all of that east coast beach space open up. Hopefully it's finished in time for summer.

I was already under the impression that Korea has tons of beach space, would rather see it as a national park.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

nullscan posted:

Dunno if I'll be up there this weekend, but I do have it back again. I'll figure something out.

Cool, I'm doing a trip to Geoje and maybe Yeosu for Buddha's bday and I can't memorize those maps.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Onion Knight posted:

Man oh man Ashley Madison dug right in as soon as adultery was decriminalized. I'm seeing those ads everywhere now.

:heysexy: :getin:

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

politicorific posted:

Anyhow, one of my Korean friends who is a professional Korean instructor is looking at taking a Korean language teaching position at Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama and has been peppering me with questions which I don't have the answers to, so I'm turning to ya'll.

My cousins are from Alabama and two of them went to Auburn. I'll ask them and get back to you. BTW Birmingham, AL is not safe at all, just a heads up on that.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Love Stole the Day posted:

tbh i think the whole world is like that

Any Midwestern US town without a major university is not like this.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Onion Knight posted:

e: I am just saying that before I met my wife I went to some parties there and they were very good parties to go to for me, a single dude.

Hmm, maybe I need to go there next time I'm in Seoul.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Just in time for summer, some dudes compiled an up to date food map for Busan

http://tinyurl.com/osq7mmt

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Building your own pc runs maybe 10 to 20 percent more. GPUs have the biggest markup, from what I've seen. To build one you'll need to go to one of the electronics markets, usually they will even build it for you at no charge.

If they haven't told you where your going yet, are you in general EPIK, or one of the province level ones, like Chungnam province?

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

CommonShore posted:

In fact, I know for a fact that I'll make more money doing EPIK than I would staying where I am and fighting for part-time positions.

Have you considered tech writing? That's where English majors actually make money.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

caberham posted:

As someone who is not a teacher or based in Korea I would recommend you to be certified k12. Yes it takes more time but you can get a lot more"real international school" level jobs. The pay scale is pretty much standardized globally and is North of 65k a year living in developing countries with subsidized rent.

*not if you're certified in music and ESL

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

caberham posted:

I'm just going to quote this. Goons have tendency to sell themselves short. Don't sell yourself short.

Can and will.

e. I may be looking at a 2 week business or medical English course in Hong Kong, I figure decent to add to my current credentials.

Maxsmart fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 16, 2015

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Come on over and have fun for a year. We all take the jobs we have for different reasons.

Also gnet is done hiring for the year, but if you are looking for something in the future let me know.

e. Gnet sucks you in, I could move on to another job, but can't convince myself to do so.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Andro posted:

drat, I won Korea. Spent 4.5 years in Gimhae. Met the girl of my dreams, but life drew me back to the U.S. Just landed a sick IB English Lit job and her parents are practically selling her to me now. See you in a few years Hong Kong IB schools with my herd of cows. BTW, Caberham, can I lease your aristocratic grazing lands for my Florida cracker and Korean Hanwoo cows?

I believe the rules of Korean victory require the pilfering of a Han bride to freedomland, your application for victory is under review.

Maxsmart fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 16, 2015

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Why not have the best burger in Korea at the airport Kraze burger?

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
If you want to bring something this year, whether it be a pie, casserole, or 2 pounds of cream cheese, you are more than welcome too. Try to let me know though, as we don't want to have a situation where we 25 pies.

I'll post an anticipated menu about a month beforehand.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

nullscan posted:

Chuseok has passed, now it's time for AMERICA!

And lovely mspaints I threw together when I was supposed to be working

First off, SIGN UP ON THE SPREADSHEET HERE IF YOU ARE EVEN PONDERING SHOWING UP! Better to have too much than not enough food!

When is this shindig?
November 28th, Last Saturday of November. Bit late, yeah, but most teachers aren't going to get Thursday off or anything. We'll be setting up and cooking around 2 or earlier, so just show up whenever? Food will be served around 6 to 7. Also, all are free to come the Friday before and help cook or just crash out at my place. I have plenty of room and blankets!

MENU
This year we're going simpler, with down home cooking, grits, meats, casseroles and whatever else we can think of. Maxsmart has stepped up to be lead chef this year and I'll be supplementing him where able. That being said, if anyone wants to bring something or come over the day before and help cook, you're more than welcome, just note it on the spreadsheet!

How many bitcoins is this going to run me?
Previous Turkeyparties have ran donations-only but generally 10k to 20k won is typical.

If you don't have any cash don't let that be a deterrent though, tis the season for feeding freeloaders and I'll make up the diff.

Where's it at?
Since I've been movin' on up, this year it'll be smack dab in the middle of Itaewon!

Using Naver or Daum you can get directions fairly easy, but it's just a few minutes from Itaewon Station. Try 75-5 Itaewon-dong or 21-3 Itaewon-ro 16-gil.

Accommodations!
As always, goons are free to crash on the floor if they desire. Or fight it out for Race Car Bed. I have a futon, couch, and another bed available as well. Otherwise, Itaewon Land is just up the street as well as a few motels in the area. If you're coming from out of town and need help just ask in thread or Kakao and we'll figure something out!

Allergwarnings

I do still have Goon Favorite cat Pablo and standoffish priss Beyori. I'll be sure to do a good cleanup the days before to limit cat dander and hair, and will also have allergy medication on hand if it gets too much for anyone.

Still plenty of time to sign up, I'll be putting out the first menu here soon.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
The first menu is up, as I said everything is going to be simple midwestern/southern USA food.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Forgot the important part

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

caberham posted:

Cathay has a January promotion:

330 000 Won roundtrip. I'm tempted to come over and say hi to my beloved Korean goons, but who else is in Seoul? Seems like everyone is gone already :( Or they never come out.

And best regards to goonsgiving, this year Im in Nuremberg, can't come :( No more ovens in Germany

We all know Gimhae is better than Seoul

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Another successful goonsgiving, thanks for coming all.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

DontAskKant posted:

Ran through my list of major hospitals and none of them do surgeries on Saturday. Anyone know of a Brigadoon like place that does surgery on Saturday.

I know nobody knows, just bitching because "it's Korean law that first year employees don't get vacation."

Pretty sure you're required by law to get one day off per month worked in your first year, that gets deducted from your total leave that you're awarded for your first year of work.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I think it's pretty random. When I sliced my head open, I got 7 staples and it cost like 15k. When I was bleeding to death, they stuff something in my nose and I sat there for an hour. Cost me 50k.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
If you're indomitable, they'll usually give you a card just to get you to go away.

Maxsmart fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 21, 2016

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
One of my friends and I may be up in Seoul mid March for the 3 day weekend. Anyways, I was wondering if there is anywhere besides Noksapyeong and Itaewon that has a high concentration of places with craft beer.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I don't even think they do live videos anymore

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

AmbientParadox posted:

Being comfortable as an efl teacher is borderline suicidal.

It's true, send help.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Kosh Naranek posted:

This is true, I have been to the US several times as a tourist, and I have not been shot or robbed by either black people nor the police.

White people however....

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

ladron posted:

I said goddamn; a burn like that'll leave a mark

Don't worry, he can sooth the burn with the all tears she'll shed after eating real American tacos.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Need to mark all the red light districts too

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

caberham posted:

Hey Korean goons how are you all doing? I'm sitting in the food court eating lovely bibimbap and I miss Korea and having dinner with you all. It's my fault because I end up going to Japan all the time. Sorry

Oh and I'm skipping the rice because i still remember that goonsgiving where this buff guy loves Korean food and skips the rice. I'm not buff though but am "dieting"

Gimhae misses you

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Bugblatter posted:

A handy goon food map would be p cool for my next run through japan/hk.

Please mark every Mexican place with a 3 paragraph review and rate them on a 1-10 on the Guy Fieri scale.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Jeoh posted:

Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere Food Map

This is what the TPP is truly about

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

lostleaf posted:

Any goon recommendation for busan Korean food? The goon guide doesn't have any places listed in Busan.

The busan food group on Facebook is an excellent resource. I may start adding Busan places if people want.

Here's a good start https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zbEdnlIAf6BY.keJtkbIfHhuo

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

district 12 posted:

Against all odds I found out through a friend I might be interviewing with an agency in Seoul for an internship. Any recommendations for Business Korean resources? My Korean is poo poo in general so I'm terrified but if I can wow them with some ~ biz lingo ~ maybe I'll be okay??

It's highly unlikely they are hiring you due to your Korean abilities.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Time to cash in that prize money for winning Korea

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

AmbientParadox posted:

:) "Hey A, how big is your house?"
:haw: "Uhh, I guess 30 평 ?"
:) "Haha, mine's 50평 Your house is so small, your family must be poor!"
:haw: "50평? My grandmother's house is that big. But she lives in the country side. So you probably also live on a farm."
:) "Shut up!"
:haw: "No, YOU shut up!"

The rich kids are almost always the biggest assholes. The country kids are usually pretty chill.

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, I've said this before, but the stories from you, Let Us English, and Fromage have told just make want to say gently caress Ulsan forever. The poo poo I hear from there is all nightmarish and doesn't correspond to my experience or the experience of any of my friends around Daegu at all.

Like, interschool rumbles are just beyond my imagination for Korea. The gently caress?

Ulsan, so probably rich kids

Bugblatter posted:

Thunderdome?

Well, I literally teach at thunderdome middle school (All boys middle). Hourly fights are normal with kids breaking limbs of their opponents on occasion. Have had kids knock teeth out in my own class. I'm usually faster to intervene than my coteachers, because they are really poor at recognizing a fight brewing.

If you're a weak kid in class, look out, you will be teased, have everything you own stolen (including your bike), and get sucker punched (This goes for teachers too. If I appear unwell in any way, the students will basically challenge me to battle). The worst was when one kid pushed another down the stairs and he laid there having a seizure. He was hospitalized for a couple weeks. We also stopped all school trips to theme parks or anything where the students would interact with other middle schools, because they would keep getting into fights. Hell, the kids go to other middle schools to rumble.

You know those animes where the boys at the thug high school just fight all day, and then join forces to fight other schools. That's pretty much my school. Though, they are fighting significantly less this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Jeoh posted:

The only reason people went to Korea is because it was cheap. Now they flock to China or Japan.