Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm upset, why I still can't get cheap tickets to Seoul. Are real-estate prices dropping like mad there?

Oh and enjoy this : http://hongkong.coconuts.co/2015/06/11/hong-kong-exchange-students-removed-south-korean-university-lecture-wearing-face-masks

quote:

Two Hong Kong students on exchange at a university in Seoul told journalists that they were removed from a lecture for wearing surgical masks.
The students, from CityU, have been on an exchange programme at Sungkyunkwan University in Seoul since February.
They now plan to return to Hong Kong before the semester's end.
One of the students, surnamed Tong, told TVB reporters that she and a friend wore face masks to a lecture as a precaution against the MERS outbreak.
The lecturer asked the pair to leave after they refused to take off their masks.
“Go out, I don’t want you here”, he said.
The lecturer acknowledged Hong Kong’s SARS outbreak in 2003 but he believed that the exchange students should not “bring sensitive feelings and emotions into [his] class and Korea”, Tong said.
Tong also criticised South Korean society for their low awareness about the outbreak, and said she has seen people spitting on the street on multiple occasions (which of course, also happens in Hong Kong).
She believes their indifference could escalate the MERS situation in South Korea.
The university initially responded that some teaching staff regarded wearing face masks to class as a “disrespectful”, and the pair could be barred from continuing their studies if they continued to insist on wearing them.
The students were later permitted to wear masks to classes after an intervention by their home institution, according to Ming Pao.
Steve Chung from CUHK’s Faculty of Social Science told Mingpao that MERS awareness in the South Korean society has been increasing.
Chung, who was also in the country at the time, has witnessed more people taking more precautionary measures in public areas, including wearing face masks on trains.

And this is getting a bit out of hand in China

http://shanghaiist.com/2015/06/12/south-koreans-shanghai-film-festival-mers.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

AmbientParadox posted:

Go see the new Mad Max movie. That's Korea now.

Thats like 2 months ago. Is antman or minions out yet

But you guys get the newest K drama

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

bobthedinosaur posted:

I seriously considered that, but the credits I would need to be certified in my state would mean I'd have to take another two years or so of undergraduate level courses to qualify for K-12 certification. My undergraduate is not related to education.

As someone who is not a teacher or based in Korea I would recommend you to be certified k12. Yes it takes more time but you can get a lot more"real international school" level jobs. The pay scale is pretty much standardized globally and is North of 65k a year living in developing countries with subsidized rent.

A few goons I know either finished paying off their debt quickly or buying off Thai condo or mortgage payments back home.

One opening portal to this job I know is Bangkok career fair or some professional international body where you register as part of that list. Forgot the name

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Maxsmart posted:

Have you considered tech writing? That's where English majors actually make money.

I know a goon who works in Shanghai for Microsoft. They are always hiring for tech writers but unfortunately, dealing with visas is difficult :smith:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

JimBobDole posted:

Two fairs in BKK: ISS Job fair and Search. Trend is going away from fairs though. We negotiate our contracts EARLY this year in September. So the hiring season is more from October to Dec. for experienced teachers. Korea is the only place in Asia I've heard of people getting hired without a teaching certificate. The International schools say differently but they hire plenty without a certificate (work with two in my hallway).
Actually, s/he could probably check the schools now. Openings happen over summer.

I'm just going to quote this. Goons have tendency to sell themselves short. Don't sell yourself short.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ladron posted:

Is she hot?

Was going to ask.

Even if she's not hot I'm sure she has hot friends

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Arctic Baldwin posted:

People posting about their situation like its the only way it goes here isn't as fun when it doesnt contain casual (or overt) racism

My life is wonderful. Please get out of Asia ^_^

Wait wait. Korea is beautiful Chinese colony

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

Heh maybe if you had a real job you'd enjoy those benefits too :smug:

Is your real job poo poo posting for food?

caberham fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 16, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

I personally know eight or nine people who have done EPIK, some of them many times over, and most of them are also grad school types.

:siren: I see :siren:

quote:

I've been combing through ads on international job boards, academic job boards, and places like Dave's ESL Cafe (which site I find disappointing).

:laffo: :smugdog: :laffo:

quote:

Good to know that the universities don't actually advertise the jobs in any of these places that I'd expect to see them. I have a Korean friend-of-a-friend who knows more about that, so I'll push through that channel a bit more.

Let me requote this:

JimBobDole posted:

Two fairs in BKK: ISS Job fair and Search. Trend is going away from fairs though. We negotiate our contracts EARLY this year in September. So the hiring season is more from October to Dec. for experienced teachers. Korea is the only place in Asia I've heard of people getting hired without a teaching certificate. The International schools say differently but they hire plenty without a certificate (work with two in my hallway).
Actually, s/he could probably check the schools now. Openings happen over summer.

Have you tried JET? It's East Asia so lots of options everywhere as long as you are qualified. The thing is, your not really 21 or 22 so finding jobs like that is kind of perplexing when you are more qualified.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Gildiss posted:

Jeoh is scandinavian right? So yes.

More like bastardized Scandinavian so it's English Dutch. But close enough because he likes to deep throat herring

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
What happened to Andro? He disappeared :smith:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Maxsmart posted:

Why not have the best burger in Korea at the airport Kraze burger?

I unironically enjoy it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Cathay has a January promotion:

330 000 Won roundtrip. I'm tempted to come over and say hi to my beloved Korean goons, but who else is in Seoul? Seems like everyone is gone already :( Or they never come out.

And best regards to goonsgiving, this year Im in Nuremberg, can't come :( No more ovens in Germany

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

China is uncomfortable with Korea, unlike Japan.

Li Ke Qiang likes to be cucked by Xi Jin Ping. He's the Premier but his policies and position is getting hijacked from that fake literature loving piece of poo poo

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Maxsmart posted:

We all know Gimhae is better than Seoul

Andro posted:

Gimhae for life.

It's true :qq: But I miss you guys :qq:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

Meanwhile in Korea last night.

You should use a tool box so you can slide out all the ingredients instead of stacking them on top!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just did a quick search in gmarket - it's something along like this

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=623714791

Each cabinet will be slightly smaller compared to your plastic boxes.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Happy holidays just had Korean food. Miss you all

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Milan is anything but safe compared to the places you list. It's super sketchy as gently caress and a lot of pick pocketing and mugging. Or Roma/Africans scamming tourists.

Even then that's mostly in the tourist city centre. Downtown Seoul has none of that. But when it comes to labor laws and enforcement of contracts I can't give you assurances

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRerwXWTRjM

everyone's scared of foreign places. It's not like going to USA means I will immediately get shot and robbed by black people even though that's the stereotype

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey Korean goons how are you all doing? I'm sitting in the food court eating lovely bibimbap and I miss Korea and having dinner with you all. It's my fault because I end up going to Japan all the time. Sorry

Oh and I'm skipping the rice because i still remember that goonsgiving where this buff guy loves Korean food and skips the rice. I'm not buff though but am "dieting"

caberham fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 21, 2016

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hello Korean goons can someone please tell me where is (don't know exact spelling) il ho shik?

And a recommendation for a good Korean restaurant in Insa dong thanks!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks a bunch! Wish I can make entries then I can add other places like Hong Kong and Japan!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

AmbientParadox posted:

Oh god. A Goon East Asian food map? Is the world ready for such a thing?

Sure why not! Enough goons pass by Hong Kong / Seoul/ Bangkok / Tokyo / Osaka. It's like a giant circuit

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
International schools?

There's this http://www.cois.org/

there's another job seeking portal too. But the qualifications are kind of high (so is the pay)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yum yum yum. I'm going to eat some goons.

And then die of food poisoning

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don't be kissing on rooftops please

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey Korea do you guys have a cafe robouchon yet?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

AmbientParadox posted:

I've never been to Japan so I'm not sure otherwise how it would compare.

Korea is fun too but this is just too hosed up

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

hodex posted:

Hey guys. Looking to fly Tokyo > Seoul return later this year (November) - is Peach Air still the way to go, or is there another line of similar quality? Peach Air's flight departs at midnight and gets in at 2:30am so no the best for a holiday.

Or any day.

The savings don't really make up for the lost time, lodging and late night transportation logistics.

Unless you got some dollar value ticket

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

If any of you have coveted my possessions. Now is your chance. Reddit interloper whose SA name I can't remember got his.

I covet your culinary skills, give me your head

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hehe, that sounds like give me head :smug:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Every one is in some kind of clique though. Heck this is the biggest clique, you gotta pay 10 bucks to chat with internet strangers

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Why is makigolli gross. I dont get it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Goons abroad tend to be pretty chill.

Goonsgiving is actually and amazing event with great food and hospitality.

But most Korean goons I know are gone :qq:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

district 12 posted:

eat your kimchi: korea is hard let’s go to japan

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
USA is actually a pretty good country to buy an unlocked iPhone

Apple compass does a comparison of prices of Apple products across the world and America is great. So do purchase an apple and be done with it.

Samsung actually have it’s local domestic market subsidize Samsung as an economic policy and pride. So you actually luck out from buying an unlocked samsung/lg phone in America as well.

global supply chain is actually based on USA market pricing so Americans benefit from it greatly.

LEVERAGE YOUR NEO GEO POLITICAL ECONOMIC PRIVILEGE

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I miss Korea it’s been too long.

Is the gang still in Seoul? Or most folks moved on?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The Seoul of public transportation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I used to call it 漢城