Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AmbientParadox posted:

Gangneung is removing the barbed wire fences. That's going to be awesome to have all of that east coast beach space open up. Hopefully it's finished in time for summer.

Those fences and towers were an interested sight when I was going all up and down the coast there.
Now is the perfect time to strike...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know there is a big Korean population in Atlanta. But outside of that it probably depends on a number of things.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

wow

I can get the people who know they're only there for a year just for something different and don't really learn the language but not being able to read, it's so easy how do you not learn that

Being illiterate sucks rear end, I can't imagine. It's one of the worst parts of moving to China, the amount of work put into learning and I can still barely read

Sounds like a Military wife. They are known to balloon and be fairly ignorant.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aesis posted:

P sure they don't need to know Korean to get around Yongsan/Itaewon :v:

That... was my point?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aesis posted:

Disappointing :v:

:mediocre:

e: A Dothraki goon wedding without at least three deaths is considered a dull affair.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 29, 2015

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If your card has a chip or whatever the gently caress it should work. My Chase sapphire card works no probs anywhere over there that you can use plastic.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I heard they make you eat your own farts over there. Especially those guys in the kakao chat room.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

Eh, I know lots of people who still enjoy their public jobs, and while pay might be better in other countries, I can still make big travel plans every year and entertain myself on weekends while still saving most of the paycheck. Plus I just like living here.

There's probably smarter options for people who just need to pay off loans or whatever, but Korea is hardly "over."

Not to mention hangeul making getting around and having at least a foothold on what poo poo says super easy. Korea rules. But stop coming. Please leave. It's full.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

:getin:

It's only downhill once you board that plane.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Is your real job poo poo posting for food?

Jeoh is scandinavian right? So yes.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

Korea doesn't have laws. It's a good thing he knew a guy.

:lol: if you don't think that is how every workplace works.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Onion Knight posted:

To anyone who has finished the spousal immigration process (IR-1/CR-1 Korea -> US):
We just got our Packet 3, and scheduled the health check. Should we schedule the interview now, or wait until we have the medical report in-hand?

I would schedule it now as there will be quite some time before there is an open interview timeslot. We booked in early Sept and the soonest opening was Nov 22. We skirted that by clicking the Priority Status or whatever and booking for Oct 5 then explaining that we had a time constraint when they contacted and said Hey you arent priority you can't do that! and they gave us an Oct 8 date.
Maybe next time have an actual confirmation on your lovely site next time guys and I wont exploit your dumb system haha.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

Neither of you have any idea what Nami Island is?

A tiny enchanted independent nation where dreams are real and love can bloom?

And sweet motorboat rides.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shadowhand00 posted:

How much of a tourist trap is Nami Island/Petite France?

Nami Island is fine, Petite France is garbage.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oldman posted:

Apparently I have had the incredible luck of every dedicated bike shop I have been to has also been a repair center? God bless Gangwon. :kimchi:

I think I'd like to nominate Shinan County (신안군) as 'worst shithole in Korea' what with their salt farm slavery and now students' fathers raping teachers.

And also possibly murdering the male teacher that was looking out for the teacher initially?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
http://www.hwalsarang.com/

I went to this place.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ladron posted:

Mom's touch fries are pretty good. Mom's touch is also where the ajumma working the cash register refused to sell me a chicken burger without mayonnaise because "It won't be delicious" and I then walked out.

She was right.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

I have renters insurance at like 16 a month from USAA in the US. Though I haven't used it because jewelry is really hard to claim in a robbery.

Also mayonnaise below miracle whip. You guys are monsters.

Current K-Goons are apparently beyond inhuman.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AmbientParadox posted:

Maybe use the new Chork?

In other news, kpop star Tiffany of SNSD hosed up today by posting the Japanese Rising Sun flag on social media. Its bad you see, becauee today is Korean Independence Day!

Wouldn't that be bad any day? Essentially like unironically posting the nazi flag?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

joedevola posted:

The tempered glass partition in my bathroom exploded last night and now my building manager is giving me static about getting it fixed. This is a great loving way to start my vacation.

He is probably scared. All he heard was what he thought was a gunshot and then the sound of breaking porcelain.
Maybe try a courtesy flush next time or try not to eat sonic boom inducing food.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

Why did the weather turn nice once I'm leaving Korea for good. Would rather leave saying... gently caress it!

Afraid to even imagine your version of USA.
Wait, I think it was depicted in Stranger Things.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Unless you are a super mutant, like a couple people, I think clothing is pretty easy to find.
Hell, almost every Korean guy I know is as tall or taller than I am, at 6'.
2 of them were 12 year olds.

Also lol a fukken AP stylebook?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There is a penis park in Samcheok and a bunch of other nice things near Sokcho.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maxsmart posted:

It only works for certain routes. Basically if it doesn't include Seoul it gets confused.

I'd be confused too. You want to go somewhere not Seoul???

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Went to the apple festival last year in 문경 and was severely disappointed in the absolute lack of apple based food. Thought I would see some ~traditional~ apple butter, cider, jelly, sauces, etc. It was just a bunch of raw apples. Wtf

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You have now peaked with that peak. The most famous hike during the best time of year.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I genuinely believe the mosquito species in Asia are stronger than the ones in the US. They seem entirely immune to cold and can climb much higher.

Fortunately they don't bite me much and I don't have a reaction if they do, so.

They seem incredibly slow and timid compared to Florida brand mosquitos. It was easy blocking and dealing with them in Korea. Could easily catch them with my hand. They're pussies compared to the savage monsters I grew up with.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Love Stole the Day posted:

Looks more like an annual Kakao convention tbh

If you're a weirdo that can't interface with peeps maybe?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Look for Sandor Clegane.
He answers with 'Yarp'.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's dead, Jim.
Won't be rehosted, either.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

Uh, I want to go to that pizza/arcade/dance club.

The Lummox removed his podcast? Guess he got tired of us teasing him about his "storytelling voice." I suggest flooding him with PMs until he's annoyed into sending you the audio files directly.

I already asked. He wants it to fade into history.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 22, 2016

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I imagine florist deliver is just like any other delivery there.
A grizzled dude on a motorbike that smells of cigarettes and gasoline maybe knocking and dropping it at the door.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think a lot of places have a kind of shared HOA heating/cooling thing and if you go over it is heavily expensive.
My place I was at a few years ago just had a window unit that I ran all day.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Paperhouse posted:

do goons ITT still work as English teachers or did everyone move on?

I'm looking for a new teaching job and considering one of the bigger cities in Korea (Seoul, Busan, Daegu). I'm qualified, have a degree and a little over a year of experience. If anyone works in a decent school that needs a teacher around September/October then I'm interested!

My old boss asked me if I knew anyone looking for Sept start time.

It's a hagwon in Seoul.
Kindergarten in the mornings, 1st-6th hagwon Mon Wed Fri. It's near Dongdaemun on line 6.

I can get you in touch if you can tolerate hagwons.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dantheman650 posted:

Been going back to my old gym and I forgot how loving rage inducing EVERYTHING at Korean gyms is. I wish I could find some sort of hole in the wall strongman gym. Got told I couldn’t do deadlifts and all the bench press stations are taking by old people doing leg raises. No EZ-bar, no belt for weighted dips/pull-ups, no weights smaller than 2.5kg for actual progression capability on lifts like overhead press, barely any barbells and an endless row of treadmills. Thank goodness I’m only here for a month.

Spoany is fine if you have a location near you.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just change your location on Steam and use your phone bill to buy games or something.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Will Korea be difficult for a tourist with a dairy allergy?

Few places could be easier.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Will it be easy to avoid the bad cheese in things for the most part?

As a tourist are you coming to eat the local food or the caricatures of western food?

Also most things that have bad cheese inserted come advertised with cheese right in the name.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nelson posted:

I’m trying to do retirement planning

Lol

nelson posted:

with the goal of early retirement

:lol:

Real talk, 10 years is way too long to predict the prices of real estate here. It could bubble or crater tomorrow or 5 years from now or 10 etc.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
*fart*