Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

JohnGalt posted:

I am going to Korea in June to visit with family for two weeks. How much spending money should I have with me? I haven't been there since I was really young and don't want to be a burden.

Also, what kind of cultural things do I need to keep in mind to not come off rear end a rude asshat?

Do you have any family you can ask? Like with anywhere you're going to have to go by family rules. And like with anywhere you're going to have people saying "all of our people are this way or do this" as long as you're polite you'll be fine. Probably best to be a bit reserved in what you say at first and be excessively complimentary. Watch what people do, but hopefully if you're family they can excuse some minor cultural slip ups that everyone makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

If he's willing to take lower, than he should lower the asking price. That is ridiculously expensive, especially considering he can't bring it with him.

I need to find out when you are selling things. Get me some 'reasonably priced' items for pennies.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

If you really want to save some change you can exchange the bulk of your money at money changers in Myeongdong. The exchange rate is generally near the base rate. But depends on how much your time and effort is worth.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Oh man. Nothing beats the rate I got in Cleveland that would have had me buying 708 won for every dollar when the base exchange rate was 1080 to $1. Plus a $15 fee. ATMs would be fine.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

One could say they still enjoy their public jobs because they still have them. Doesn't really help someone coming in fresh. These people who already got theirs are happy, I'm sure you with nothing will be happy too.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Whizbang posted:

Learning Korean is easy, but the only people you can talk to with it are Koreans and they're awful.

You can totally talk to Russians and Chinese too.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

caberham posted:

I know a goon who works in Shanghai for Microsoft. They are always hiring for tech writers but unfortunately, dealing with visas is difficult :smith:

And it's about an hour shuttle outside the city and if you are an air baby like me you'll suffocate. I still think about applying, but if I die in Korea, I'll never survive Shanghai.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Just because they say a M Ed doesn't mean that's all they will take. That's what they'd like but if they have a choice of a doctorate in English vs someone with an online masters of ed who interviews poorly they'll make the decision that's best for them. Don't make that decision for them.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Love Stole the Day posted:

I always see people say this but I have never once seen or heard of this actually happening irl.

Isn't that the story of all those last minute uni jobs? Also a higher degree can sometimes make up for a more specific lower one. Maybe I'm thinking too highly of a doctorate, but I know some rankings give more points for professors with doctorates. Basically what I'm saying is if you do want one try for it. If you don't want to work uni right now then don't, but if the reason is some hr person is copying script onto a site from some business person and that doesn't exactly match up to reality...

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

If anyone thinks they can get an E7 without a dedicated HR department specializing in that or a masters degree. Just take that effort you would apply to the E7 and solve the malaria problem or something. It would be a better use of your time.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I think in moving out I'll just have to take the 100k fines everyday. I have no idea how I screwed up trash collection. The text just says it's wrong with no explanation why. This is going to be a very expensive move.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

What are the rules about changing your address? I'm not on any housing contract anymore so I'm not sure if I can change it at the gu office.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Do you need a housing contract for the change. I'm canceling my visa on 9/3 and am staying at my gf's place. But don't want to be dinged when I leave and come back.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I'm assuming that was a tourist visa run?

I'm looking for a working visa run in the next two weeks. Right now it's a toss up of Osaka and Fukuoka.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Fukuoka doesn't allow it anymore fyi. Saved you a lot of frustration.

edit-- so since you're going to Osaka, make sure you do Peach Air because they have their own entire terminal building there. So when you come back to Korea there won't be any line and it won't be busy in there at all. It's pretty good.

Thanks. Everyone around me was swearing they do and I was starting to doubt my eyes. I'm just worried about getting it done in time because of you get Peach Air on the wrong day then it is pricey as hell (for what it is). How's the transit to/from the airport for the late night and early morning routes?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

They used to up until last Fall. I saw a news article about it. Your friends or whatever are going off of outdated information.

Osaka is the 2nd biggest and most advanced city in Japan. Don't worry about the bus or train.

I worry about getting public transit after midnight and before 5am. Most cities don't have that.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Are you really planning on taking a redeye or zero-dark-thirty flight to Korea? That's pretty unnecessary, considering it's just a 1.5-hour flight from ICN.

This site says the subway doesn't run during those hours: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298566-i2803-k7415236-Operating_hours_for_trains_subway_etc-Osaka_Osaka_Prefecture_Kinki.html

This site says the first airport bus leaves the Umeda area (main downtown area) at 330-ish am when you click on one of the bus stops: http://www.okkbus.co.jp/en/index3.html

Also, stay away from Kobe and northwest Osaka for the next few months. I read in the news that there is a lot of gang drama going on right now over there, so it's best to stay away.

Last time I checked, it's sometimes a matter of $100-200 saved round trip to take a red eye. If I have to be inflexible and buy on short notice because of visa issues then I'd rather not pay double if I can go early in the morning or arrive late at night. If it means I'm paying $100 for a taxi from the airport then I'd definitely rethink things. I ran into problems finding accurate information last time I searched in English for public transit from there.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

wtf are you talking about? look here:

https://book.flypeach.com/default.a...n-US&bLFF=false

i think that maybe you're just really bad at making travel plans.

Or you know prices change based on the season and the day. Either of those. Or both.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

politicorific posted:

To back you up, Peach only makes about a dozen seats available during its "sales" and often times you must use the localized page, (Korean or Japanese) in order to get some of the deals. For a while last year during the height of the "OMG you go to Japan, don't you worry about radiation?" hysteria, you could get round trip tickets for a loving steal - less than 90,000.

Nowadays, you all should be checking more Korean deal sites. A friend just got a round trip ticket to Taipei for 170,000 from estar.

I've used whypaymore.co.kr before but usually things are sold out. Never got play wings to work on my phone. Doesn't show up in the AppStore.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Some things never change. Handed in my ARC when I left Korea and I come back tonight to find out he never canceled it.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

The fast visa run is apparently a thing of the past. Tokyo takes 3 working days and Osaka takes 4. Might be able to get it done Monday to Friday if I get early and late enough flights. Phone people, like all phone people except 1330, suck and are awful. Was asking how far it was from the airport and the Osaka consulate said I should go to the Kobe consulate.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Arctic Baldwin posted:

The African dude in chat said Hong Kong can be done in 2 days with the right time of arrival. He did it in 3 anyway.

Pinot did his in HK in a week, but I think he had something else going on too. If I had known earlier. Could only get in touch with two consulates. Others didn't pick up. Have to leave Monday so can't check. Japan is a pretty sure thing, but just updating about visa runs because people still swear it's 1 day and that there's a consulate in Fukuoka. Though Kant's Japan May Vary.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

There is a consulate in fukuoka - it's just that they turn E2 or whatever visa appliers away

The other Japanese consulates didn't know and they never picked up their phone in the 3 times I called. Either way. Longer trip that I can't afford after a month of unemployment.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

DreadLlama posted:

Does Korea allow foreigners to link adsense accounts to their Korean bank accounts?

Next semester I'm going to start assigning homework, and the assignments are going to consist of watching a youtube video and filling in the blanks on a handout. But also I'll have an ad on the video. I figure if 1/4 of my students watch it, I might get 500 views, which is worth almost $2.

Probably, but probably not legal. Whether that is enforced or not depends on which Korea you live in.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Hwayo can be pretty good and cheap for liquor here. A few restaurants I respect make decent cocktails with it too. Like, cocktails with care not just masking the flavor. There are definitely better ones out there, but it's one of the worst price=quality items out there. My favorite is one that's really hard to get, but is only like 40k.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

You should see what your own country's work visa requirements are before you criticize tbh

When you're the best, you can afford to be picky. :911:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Whizbang posted:

China is uncomfortable with Korea, unlike Japan.

Japan has a more "intimate" relationship.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

There are quite a few horchata options in Seoul. There were even some in Osan my first year here.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Meanwhile in Korea last night.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Andro posted:

You're gonna get arrested for intent to distribute flavor.

I have the red flavor in there.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Aesis posted:

Wait, you can eat Himalayan pink salt? I thought it was just for decoration.

I can eat it. You can't.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

caberham posted:

You should use a tool box so you can slide out all the ingredients instead of stacking them on top!

It's just right there because it's a better picture, but lol at buying a toolbox in Korea. They'll be stacked in threes on a shallow shelf.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Bugblatter posted:

I don't understand why that's a "lol."

What I'm picturing is a metal pull out toolbox that in the US is like 200 and takes up a lot of space. Super useful if you really value easy access and organization, but costly in terms of expense and space given up. To get such a thing in Korea for a year...

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

caberham posted:

Just did a quick search in gmarket - it's something along like this

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=623714791

Each cabinet will be slightly smaller compared to your plastic boxes.

Ah. Yeah those. Completely different than what I thought you meant. I did look at those, but they were more expensive, less adjustable to limited space in the kitchen, and not air tight. They work great for little small things, but spices would spoil and stink up the house.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Gilgamesh_Novem posted:

I keep mine in traditional ceramic pot. Work better.

Oh man. That sounds like a mess. How do you separate them after they're mixed in the pot? It must be really colorful.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Don't eat the bird seed.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

The raid has been postponed, sorry for those who already made popcorn.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Ran through my list of major hospitals and none of them do surgeries on Saturday. Anyone know of a Brigadoon like place that does surgery on Saturday.

I know nobody knows, just bitching because "it's Korean law that first year employees don't get vacation."

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Maxsmart posted:

Pretty sure you're required by law to get one day off per month worked in your first year, that gets deducted from your total leave that you're awarded for your first year of work.

"That you earn in your first year, but applies to your second year, but you can borrow from your second year in your first year"

Which disincentives you to stay for a second year. Basically, we all know the law but you got to fight for it. Also that doesn't apply to hagwons with their 5 and 10 days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

AmbientParadox posted:

When my ankle broke, I went to Seoul Samsung Hospital on a Saturday at like 2pm and was okay. It wasn't surgery but the ER was open. Give them a call; maybe they can?

Yeah, the ER is always an option. I've lived with this for a while now, but I'd rather get it done with sooner rather than later as its starting to really hurt, but I'm not sure how much of a markup surgery ER is or if you can treat them like we do in the states.