Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
The Ashley at Haeundae was the first one I ever went to. Great place. I remember it was really confusing getting up to that floor, though. You had to switch elevators on the CGV floor, so you have to walk through this weird dimly lit blue LED light-filled room full of screaming children. If you're lucky and they're really busy or whatever, I believe they have a balcony you can go out and dine on.

Also on the other side of the city, in the Nampo area, there's another Ashley that also has a pretty cool spot (though not as good). Both are great ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Grand Fromage posted:

That's true, though I don't think I ever had an issue just using my debit card.

Agreed, but the internet banking thing is only convenient and good after you understand how to get it all set up. The process of figuring it out on your own was one hell of a pain in the rear end for me way back when.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
I think Yaletown closed down? Because it's renamed to "Dragon's Den" or something dumb like that, apparently. Anyone happen to know Jason? I'd love to know what happened..

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
The Ashley at Jongno Tower nowadays has fish and chips. It's pretty good imo, but it's only like little nuggets of fried fish.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

superm0nk posted:

How is loving Ashley still getting recommended in this thread?

because it makes you mad

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Hans Deli is better than Moms Touch. Yeah, I said it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
All of you Europeans who love mayonnaise so much digust me.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

ladron posted:

The jae yook dop bab (spicy pork and rice) was a favorite of mine.

That's always my go-to if I can't decide on what to eat when I go there.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
It's a good thing I didn't go to Maxsmart's Goonsgiving dinner because he obviously went overboard on the salt.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Jeoh posted:

Actually it was about states rights

Specifically about the Korean state to exist

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

cryptoclastic posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for TOPIK study? Books, methods, anything really. I passed the level 2 a long time ago, then felt that was good enough. I'm at the point now where if I pass the level 4 I should be able to change my visa under the points program. Probably going to try to take the November test.

Right now the plan is to keep up with my Anki deck every day, and try to learn around 10 new bits of grammar every week. I've got Korean Grammar in Use, intermediate, and will move to the Advanced book when I'm done with this one. And at some point I'll start with the previous tests for practice. Does anyone else have any other books they'd suggest, specifically for the TOPIK?

Actually classes are out, unless someone knows some specific to Daejeon.

I would also like to test for level 4~5 on the TOPIK sometime soon and could use some recommendations

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

hodex posted:

Hey guys. Looking to fly Tokyo > Seoul return later this year (November) - is Peach Air still the way to go, or is there another line of similar quality? Peach Air's flight departs at midnight and gets in at 2:30am so no the best for a holiday.

I still like Peach Air a lot, so I'd recommend checking out a layover in Osaka because that's their main hub and they fly out if there very often.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Deleted my Facebook in like 2009 (or at least as far as they'll let you "delete" it), so I wonder how many of the job applications I've sent over the years were ignored or denied because they couldn't find a Facebook account for me.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

ladron posted:

If you tell us where you are at, I'm sure one of us can give you exact directions to get a plug adapter

i can give him directions right now without knowing where he is:

• go on gmarket.co.kr
  • buy an adapter via paypal
  • wait for 1 day and answer the door when the delivery guy knocks

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Angry Asian posted:

Gonna be in Seoul for a week, just wondering about wifi options or if i even need to bother?

does free wifi blanket the entire city or should I grab a wifi egg... or how are those olleh kt prepaid pins?

If I were you I would do the Wifi Egg because it would work almost anywhere you go as you keep it in your pocket/purse/up your butthole.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

poly and open-minded posted:

jokes like that are why you were the funniest in chat

I don't know why but I keep forgetting that most of you goons are in a kakao clique or whatever.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How much money should two people expect to spend per day staying pretty modestly in Seoul, not including the hotel room? I'm going next Thanksgiving for a wedding. I'm not sure how long it's going to be, anywhere from three days to a week. It's so far out that we don't know many details yet.

If you go to the Korean equivalent of a diner, an entree costs about 6 000 KRW ~ 7 000 KRW. I think the Big Mac set/combo (they call it a set in this part of the world) at McDonald's is like 4 600 KRW?

Fancy western restaurants charge about the same as back home.

quote:

I forgot to ask, do places tend to accept American Express there? I want to have a backup in case I underestimate and run out of money. Will I need to apply for something more common for that?

Korea has a very insular banking system because of cyber attacks from North Korea every few years or whatever. You will probably need to call your card people and let them know that you'll be here for whatever amount of time. Take your card to a convenience store or something and try to use it to buy some drinks or something so that you can make sure that it works fine. If it doesn't, you can call your bank/whatever and sort it out with them.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Looks more like an annual Kakao convention tbh

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Chinhae is a beautiful town, man. That's where the Naval Academy is. If you take the bus from a bus terminal there, which will probably cost about 15 000 KRW ~ 25 000 KRW, then you'll probably be sitting with a bunch of Navy guys the whole way. You can also take one of those slow rolling trains there and see the countryside all along the way, or you can probably fly to PUS and then take the train/bus from there.

As for your budget, I'm sure that that'll be more than enough. Typical meal at a diner or any hole in the wall usually goes for about 6 000 KRW ~ 7 000 KRW per person. Fast food and whatnot costs about the same.

As for what to do or see in Seoul, I don't know because it all depends on what you're into. People ask that all the time so I'm sure Google will turn up some good results. Probably Gwanghwamun and Insadong will be involved somehow, as they're the usual go-tos and are within walking distance from one another.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

You'll probably only be able to find a hagwon job nowadays so a lack of dignity/self-respect is also necessary.

This part is understated

edit--

Weather is garbage today. AQI says that the pollution levels all over Seoul are over 150, but when you look at the official government website for tracking air pollution it's almost all green. I blame China.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 31, 2017

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Used to know somebody at a hagwon who was told, "it was a mistake to hire you."

They got a lot of money from the court case.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Gunstav posted:

I've got the week off starting Monday and I'm thinking of making a last minute trip to Asia. I was in Japan for a few weeks last year, and I don't think I have enough time to get a visa to China. I mostly want to go somewhere to eat/drink for cheap and do some hiking. South Korea seems to hit these points. Is this a good/bad time to go. Is Korea a Bad Idea™?

Definitely do Korea. This time of year is as beautiful as it gets in my opinion.

Used to work with a guy who had a girlfriend in Beijing. He liked to go for runs in the mornings. Visited her for a couple weeks and went to the doctor for a checkup after the trip, who said he was healthy... "but just stop smoking and you'll be fine." He wasn't a smoker.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
If you go to a baseball game, make sure you tape an orange plastic bag to your head. Don't ask me why, just do it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Ashley has had this grilled chicken with pineapple thing this past year and it's really good. Their barbecue ribs are extremely meaty, too.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

nervana posted:

LOL if you don't eat at Kraze burger

I thought they closed down??? The ICN branch, the SNU branch, the 숙대 branch... all closed a couple of years ago.

The KG burger was amazing.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

TsarZiedonis posted:

Also, why do you call a beach motel a "pension?" And why do people let their dogs at at aforementioned beach motels and let them form roving gangs of dogs in the parking lots.

In English speaking countries that aren't the US, a "pensioner" is an person who has retired and is getting their equivalent of Social Security check (aka "retirement benefits"). So in Korean, a "pension" house or whatever is a place that's marketed as a vacation or retirement community. Basically, the kind of place where you'd want to go retire and live.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Looks like tonight is Halloween night -- everybody's heading to Itaewon and HBC

edit-- trip report: everybody was either a zombie or a disney princess. not as fun as i thought it'd be. one guy was jogging around HBC dressed as Richard Simmons. that was the only highlight.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 29, 2017

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

guri posted:

Maybe a strange question but I figure someone here might have some idea -- I am looking to update my turntable setup and am in need of speaker suggestions. Preferably options that are readily available in Korea. Either powered speakers or a small amp and passive speakers. I've looked around for the usual budget suggestions from overseas but pretty much everything I have found requires importing via Gmarket and if at all possible I would like to avoid that. I found an amp/speaker combo from what seems to be a Korean brand, Bitway, but after trying to buy it from three different Gmarket sellers only to have it canceled, I've given up on that. Anyone with any experience?

I know where some audio stores are in Yongsan, Seoul, if you're into wholesale/retail stuff. As for second-hand, I'd suggest Craigslist personally. Most people there are short-term foreigners who are moving back to their home country and so they want to get rid of all of their stuff that they don't need or can't ship home.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Tried Mom's Touch recently and loved it. Now they got me waiting for the delivery guy like it's Santa Claus coming down the chimney.

edit-- Speaking of fried chicken... what are your favorite go-to's at your favorite Chicken Hof spots?

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 9, 2017

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

keirharder posted:

So I’m arriving in Seoul in a couple of weeks, check the weather and it’s loving -19 degrees there at the moment? I was expecting cold but that’s a whole -17 degrees colder than I’ve ever experienced so I’m a bit worried.

I’m just visiting to meet some friends and see how feasible coming over on a working holiday visa would be sometime in the next year or two now, thought that’s probably a safer option than moving there for 6 months without having even visited first lol.

Yeah, this is the coldest winter since like 2010 right now. The past few winters hardly even snowed, so it's pretty unlucky that you came this year. Works out pretty well for the Olympics, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
A few years ago we got a green tea cake from a desert place for a birthday party. We visited that place again recently and as we left the lady behind the counter showed us her phone. It had a Google translated message saying thank you for buying those green tea cakes a long time ago.

It was a really nice moment. Very sweet people.