Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
So the gift of MERS has pressed my school to do a forced, partially paid vacation for the next 5 weeks.
I can't go away for the whole duration since they can still call me in and cancel the vacation with short notice. So I'm thinking of taking some intensive Korean course that I can join soon, and be able to stop whenever I need to. Like, the throw you in the deep end, sink or swim, type of course. Or, is my only option to just find a tutor?

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015

Really? I honestly never considered Ewha because I just assumed woman's university meant just women.

I'm at a point where I'm between beginner and intermediate. I can do the most basic functions, but cannot even think about having a conversation.

Everything has happened so fast these past few weeks. Now that I'm looking, I've just missed the deadlines for a few things. But oh well, I can't complain too much with a vacation.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Anybody know where to get some American style pork chops in Seoul? I'm taking someone out who's been craving it, and I've personally never seen, let alone looked for any here. My first gut (no pun intended) instinct would be itaewon, but otherwise not sure what place might have some.

On a side note, I did discover that there was a battle of pork chop hill during the war. That's neat.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
I know some, but probably not descriptive enough to explain a foreign cut to them.
You think making it myself is pretty much the only option? Is there any restaurant I can go that offers something like that?

I'm pretty much limited to exclusively pan cooking it in my tiny not-a-real-kitchen if I make it myself.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks guys. I'd call operation pork chop hill a success.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Anyone know if they give vaccines in Korea? Specifically, there HPV vaccine?

I'm a dude and had the first of 3 shots in March, in the states, while I still had insurance. I'm back in the states for a few months without insurance, and I need to get both of the remaining ones like, now.

Since I have to get both out of pocket without insurance, I'm wondering if I'd be able to just start over when I go back to Korea. Hopefully free, or subsidized.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
So I'm headed back to Seoul from the states next month. Anyone have any experience transferring money between a Korea citi bank, and US citi bank accounts? I don't have any accounts with either of them, but if it's easier and significantly better, I'd be willing to.
I currently have an NH account, and transfers are a flat 25 a pop. Is it worth the effort to change it?

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Anyone have any experience with Korean credit cards? Are they worth any of the hassle over cash, assuming you qualify for one?

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Huh. Sounds like if you have that money to put down and are okay doing the initial hoop jumping, why not.
I used to play the rewards points game back at home. I was at the point where using cash and not getting something extra felt like a wasted opportunity. So, coming here was a point building, ocd nightmare.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
I haven't been here for terribly long, but I still feel more safe in Seoul than anywhere in the US.

Walking around at night as a male, I sometimes feel that people are more scared of me than I could ever be of them.

I've asked a few of my foreign female classmates, and they agreed that Korea feels more safe than their respective countries. They're French, and German, respectively.

theravenpope fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 7, 2016

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015

superm0nk posted:

Speaking of which, SodaTransfer is in beta right now and offering free exchanges (USD-KRW only) for up to 3,000,000원.

I used it last month and it worked well, though it did take a couple days longer than a bank wire transfer.

Thanks for this. I'll try this out the next time I need to move money. It looks better than what I've been doing up until now.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Anyone have any experience getting replacement bike inner tubes in Seoul? I'd rather not bother with ordering online.

I bought a folding bike that had a punctured tube but was otherwise in alright shape. I'm planning on using this thing as a commuter since my daily route isn't that far.

I've been to a handful of bike shops and the Yongsan emart today. Granted, said bike shops seemed to focus more on the high end bikes, but nobody carried anything. Plenty of pumps and accessories, but no tubes at all.

Is bike maintenance not at thing people usually do themselves here, or am I just not hitting the right places?

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks, I'll check out hongdae next. Anything's better than trying to lug a cheap, heavy steel framed bike with flat tires on a crowded subway, just to replace some busted inner tubes.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015

ladron posted:

.... do the wheels not come off?

Ha, slipped my mind to ever consider popping those out. This opens options.

superm0nk posted:

Maybe if you posted your neighborhood someone could help find something closer to you.

My commute is from hbc to daeheung, so nearby those areas is where I've been looking.

nervana posted:

ps. bike dude try typing "자전거 수리" in daum maps.

Thanks, I tried that last night after bike repair was mentioned being a separate place, and walked to a result that was south of itaewon. Turns out they've close down. Across the street was another shop that wasn't in the search results. He seemed willing to sell me tubes but then just wanted me to bring the bike in. I think just I'll try bringing the wheels in today. I'll keep looking for extra tubes to pick up for next time.

theravenpope fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 7, 2016

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Speaking of burgers, I waited for some Shake Shack in Gangnam last night, and I've reaffirmed that it wasn't worth the hype.
I've had it once before on my last visit to nyc, and I didn't remember it being all that amazing back then, either.

Don't wait in line for it. We just happened to walk by when there wasn't much of one, so we figured we'd give it a shot. Long lines, and expensive prices for what ultimately boils down to just a serviceable burger and shake.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
I also want to add that earlier, my girlfriend commented about how I'm good at eating burgers. I've never really thought about it before, but there's just a way to hold and bite a large burger without it falling apart on you.
Since then I've noticed how people really don't have a clue how to eat a burger properly. I should start a class.

I often see people taking bites of one ingredient at a time. The lady next to us at shake shack yesterday received her burger and had a literal look of disgust as she examined it. Then she took the tiniest, seriously a mouse sized nibble of onion, followed by a nibble of meat, then told her boyfriend the burger was good.
She then just went back to looking at the burger with a mild disgust as she contemplated how to eat it.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015

DontAskKant posted:

Why did the weather turn nice once I'm leaving Korea for good. Would rather leave saying... gently caress it!

The country wanted to deprive you of satisfaction one last time.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

The big pain for my suitcases is that the winter coat I have is poofy enough to cause issues.

Why not just wear the coat when boarding and take it off during the fight? I ended up having my big winter coat draped over my arm while boarding instead of in my bag. It freed up weight and a lot of space in my bag.

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015
Anyone from California have any troubles with their oversees voting?

I had two identical voting packets come in, a few weeks a part from each other, for some reason. Yesterday was the only day I would have time to drop it off at the embassy, and I figured I'd just fill it out while I was there to drop it off.
Well it turns out both of my packets are missing the "official ballot card" and "ballot secrecy sleeve" that say they should be included.

I asked the embassy and they just gave me a write in candidate form. That's all fine and dandy, but there's a lot of California propositions I wanted to vote on.
The voting office in CA is closed for the weekend and I doubt they'd be able to get me another packet before the deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theravenpope
Feb 9, 2015

Milksteak posted:

What's the best burger place these days?

Haven't tried too many places, but firebell is pretty good. Though, the last time I went there was a long wait and there were a lot more people. Apparently it was featured on some Korean show..