Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

this is pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Squeezy Farm posted:

well either way it must have more RAM than the xbox one

it has the correct RAM

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
its fake

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

one of the first angry rant things I read online was a defence of the N64 vs. the playstation. it was probably on geo cities. but it was pretty convincing and I've had the impression the N64 was more powerful ever since. more memory, better aliasing capabilities, no load times, etc

that's my first reaction, but there's some details in the comments and description that at least make it sound like the author knows a few things about n64 development

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

goldeneye blown up real big on the array of TVs in the center as you walk into best buy. wow

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
there's no way that's real. aside from the amount of textures and geometry, some of the geometry has perfectly rounded corners or circles, which i don't think the n64 was very capable of

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i mean what would it take to code a source game to that works on x86 to PPC or whatever N64 runs on.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

i mean what would it take to code a source game to that works on x86 to PPC or whatever N64 runs on.

im sure source compiles directly to it

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
here's half-life 2 running on the playstation 1, for reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0vFGldrL6Y

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

PleasureKevin posted:

it's obviously fake, but for the sake of argument:

you could forget any sort of code porting at all, even supposing you had access to the source code. the base OS code, video and audio subsystems would all be useless

so that leaves you with models, sounds, and other game assets. you could write a model loader for MDL or whatever, but considering you're severely limited poly-wise you're probably going to want to retopologize things in a 3d suite anyway

so the best route for a tf2 port would either be reimplementing it and trying for a simulacrum of the levels, or just hacking a goldeneye rom with appropriate textures/sounds

(it runs on MIPS btw)

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

that being said, sometimes pushing graphics as low as possible is an impressive effort in itself

like the madmen running doom 3 on voodoo 2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUVXAl0dgYY

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i think this was the gamecube because i bet my dad a 128 game system would come out and he said "64 is all you need.. nope" and then gamecube came out and he gave me 20 bucks because he lost the bet. unless i lied?

ibm made the CPU but used a different logo for the badge because they didn't want to be associated lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i remember someone explaining that n64 was really hard to develop for because of memory constraints compared to ps1, but ps1 only has two megs and n64 has 4 megs (8 with expansion pak)

maybe it was texture memory? n64 games seem to have a lot less textures than ps1

most of the memory is stored in 90s kids

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.

Squeezy Farm posted:

well either way it must have more RAM than the xbox one

Yep, and the expansion pak doubles it :D

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

most of the memory is stored in 90s kids

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

kevin...

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hes a LIAR

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

dude has nothing else in life going for him

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I Wish i could have showed the wireframe, but we couldn't add this function to the memory, it would crash the game. The Nintendo 64 is a very software sensitive console, a minimum unsuported change or function can crash the game and cause the files corruption.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jerry Cotton posted:

ibm made the CPU but used a different logo for the badge because they didn't want to be associated lol

iirc it had the ppc logo on it? thats like complaining that a performa didn't prominently display the ibm logo

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tg9OcAXdc8

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyE9PGTRirI

pram
Jun 10, 2001

that black one is sick

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdeW9NlBUZQ

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKlbx5niBu8

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I sold my N64 cause you could pirate PSX games :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

That draw distance in the flight sim...

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Don Lapre posted:

That draw distance in the flight sim...

something close to that draw distance was possible, it was just really difficult to figure out how the hardware could do it

star wars battle of naboo is an impressive example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj-jUwd76f8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's cool how people used to think about things. now they just .. idk. NOT

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

something close to that draw distance was possible, it was just really difficult to figure out how the hardware could do it

star wars battle of naboo is an impressive example

that looks cool but that dude is super annoying

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasureKevin posted:

that looks cool but that dude is super annoying

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011