Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
On my desktop at home (win 8.1) there seems like theres some input that is always on, in firefox if I press control it zooms out, if I press shift it acts as the back button, and in scrollable things (start menu, web pages, etc) if I highlight an element it will slowly scroll to the right, or down if scrolling right isn't an option.

I used a program to see what keys were being pressed... and there was nothing weird going on. No arrow keys, no +/- or anything, and I can't even figure out what would behave the way this is behaving.

I also disconnected all input devices (kb/mouse) and then tested them independently, this problem occurs regardless of what is plugged in, so it seems like it isn't coming from my keyboard or mouse (happens with other mice and also with no keyboard plugged in, also with no mouse plugged in). Also, it still happens in safe mode.

My next step is going to be booting a linux flashdrive to see if it happens there too, also I can at least easily see the inputs, but I'm at work rn, so I figured i'd post this to see if anyone had ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

coaxmetal posted:

I used a program to see what keys were being pressed... and there was nothing weird going on. No arrow keys, no +/- or anything, and I can't even figure out what would behave the way this is behaving.

Sounds like the keyboard might be malfunctioning then.

coaxmetal posted:

I also disconnected all input devices (kb/mouse) and then tested them independently, this problem occurs regardless of what is plugged in, so it seems like it isn't coming from my keyboard or mouse (happens with other mice and also with no keyboard plugged in, also with no mouse plugged in). Also, it still happens in safe mode.

Have you tried another keyboard on the machine itself?

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I've tried it with no keyboard and just a mouse and the onscreen kb, ill try a different keyboard too though

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
Is there a set of media controls on the top of your computer case, maybe under a stack of papers?

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Grapeshot posted:

Is there a set of media controls on the top of your computer case, maybe under a stack of papers?

Ooh I didn't th ink of that. I checked and I dont have any media keys there, but there was a wireless mouse USB thing that I forgot to unplug on the front of the case, I unplugged that, but also I am using an different keyboard, and its fixed. I think it was probably the keyboard, im just sorta puzzled by why it would still happen when I unplugged it and used the onscreen keyboard though. Also since I tried 2 things at once I guess im doing troubleshooting wrong. Anyway im cleaning that keyboard and i'll see if it works when I plug it back in.

• Locked thread