Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
You'd think someone who's career has revolved around using guns would be just a tad more... shook over losing his shooting arm/hand? But nope. Ocelot is just that smooth a dude to not let it get to him while making a hasty escape. I suppose he does have the livelihood of torture to fall back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
What are the conditions to get the time bomb? I feel like I've gotten it each time I've played whether surviving the torture or not.

Choco1980 posted:

Also those wolves are crazy. One time I went through during a point after this in the game and didn't do any measures to make them like me, so they were all riled up, and I decided to take a breather outside the crawlspace. They were going nuts for me on the other side. Then I hear this scraping sound, and look in first person, and one wolf is actually crawling very slowly under the rocks, scraping against them to get to me in his rage, and made it through to fight me. :dogbutton:
Even moreso than the tank fight, this is my most dreaded room in the game. Not only do I get lost each time, I also get mauled! Those pups play far to rough. Danaru effortlessly getting through it each time sure puts my attempts to shame.

SSNeoman posted:

I saw a dude run Metal Gear Ac!d about 1/3 of the way through. It was like someone decided to take MGS2's Snake Tales and put it on...well, acid. Seriously, you are not prepared.
Okay since I know nothing about the Ac!d games aside from that they exist, this sounds promising.

Danaru posted:

One codec call I'm upset I kept forgetting about is that in MGS1, if you call Miller on a noisy floor, he tells you to walk slowly, but snake responds with "I... I can't..." because walking slowly hasn't been implemented yet :v: Miller then suggests wearing your socks over your boots.
That ones new to me as were the womens bathroom ones. Did the mens bathroom have any special calls? Also, if you happen to end up back in the first Sniper Wolf fight room, whip out the sniper rifle and hunt rats. That nets you a pretty amusing call.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

evilspacehopper posted:

Still those towers are the worse parts of the game because how tall they are forcing you to climb for what feels like forever.
And yet they've got nothing on FFVII's staircase.

But on an MGS-related note: Comm Tower Staircase vs The Ladder. Which is the least tedious of the two?

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Gotta say, I also did not know about the parachute or the ensuing codec call about it. These game really do keep on giving.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Danaru posted:

There isn't enough beer in the world for these.
How about taking a drink each time Grace does an accent? :v:

Count me in on the never played Mario 64 club. With the Saturn and PS1 around, the N64 was non-existant to me. Also you blew up a rat with a rocket. What the hell.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Straight to MGS2 then, no VR Intermissions?

NikkolasKing posted:

The accelerated aging thing has been one of the few consistent aspects of Metal Gear Solid. It's part of MGS2 as well.
Been since MGS4's launch since I've seen the game so I've forgotten, is the aging thing due to FoxDie, being a clone, or nanomachines?

Hammurabi posted:

Kojima's "Liquid doesn't understand genetics" excuse would work a lot better if everyone else including genetic scientist Naomi didn't seem to believe the same nonsense.
Liquid can be excused since he seems like the pretty boy jock type, but nobody else calling him out on his BS was pretty dumb.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Great stage name, questionable candy, creepy guy.

VR Missions may be full of pretty much nothing but reused assets from MGS proper but they made a drat good game out of it. They waste no time in shaking up stage layouts you've gone through but with more/different obstacles. Looking forward to seeing some of the crazier stages I never managed to unlock!

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Some of these stages look really boring/obnoxious... and that's in practice mode. I missing the sneaking and man flipping stuff already.

Danaru posted:

It doesn't quite get Skateboarding levels of batshit, but once you reach certain percentages, you unlock Puzzle mode, Mystery mode, and Variety/NG Selection, which are just "gently caress it let's go nuts". Still have no idea what "NG Selection" means though.
You just know NG stands for something ridiculously silly like New Genome something or other.

Also after that epic DBZ battle, I'm hoping for a Super Solid Bros. Brawl episode when the time comes!

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Grabbed my copy of the game off the shelf tonight and quickly learned my game save has gone sorely missing. It took me twice as long to clear everything you did in the first episode and I had the advantage of not being drunk. :smith: I'll just wait on your videos to see what "Blooper" mode is all about. And to answer Graces question from an episode or so back, I watched the credits and Kojima is credited as a Genolla Monster :confused:, Planning/Game Design, Producer, and Director.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Danaru posted:

I've also gotten first place on every sneaking mode time trial. I considered not showing Grace what that unlocks, but I can't deprive the world of that :v:
Oh yes. I've been trying and failing to unlock that myself. Will the photo mode episode be titled Don't Be a Creep Part 2?

Choco1980 posted:

I really have no idea which mode I most look forward to. The ninja and mystery modes are so much fun, then there's that mode. Plus there's all the other weird crap that shows up in just one mission each. I never was able to 100% this game back in the day but I came pretty close to unlocking most of the stuff. I think the second version of that mode was all I had left to unlock.
Do any of these later modes have more sneaking elements to them? I was always bummed about Sneaking Mode only really having 15 stages (copy/pasted 6 times). Most of the game is focused on the weapons which is part of why I lost interest in progressing. At least its generous with the progression. Just don't abysmally fail and you get your % up. If they'd forced you to get 1st on every time trial that would've been the biggest nope ever for me.

Hrvstmn31 posted:

It's your curse gift.
Against all warnings and good judgement the Sonic Heroes LP is inevitable, isn't it?

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Snake got abducted by a ufo? What is this game? I'm feeling now that it's definitely worth grinding through the weapon missions to unlock puzzle & variety after all! Some of the failure conditions seen seem pretty strict but it's balanced by how short the missions generally are. Except for the few really dickish ones you're not losing a whole lot of time trying again from the start.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
The intro really spoils just about everything huh? Really cool game with a lot more to it than I'd initially thought. I'd say Mystery mode was just the silliest and best thing. Ninja could've been the best had it been more than three missions. That VR Mission guantlet ranks up there too.

"I don't like Naomi."
I can agree with this. I mean, does anybody like here? Even back in '98 I thought she sucked. Think I even dislike her more than I do Big Boss. Oh and those TGS videos have some gold in them. "Ocerot" "Tankman" "Valcan"...

Thanks for showing off the full extent of this crazy game. And guess what? Now you have footage to splice into MGS2 videos any time VR Training gets brought up!

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Iron Chitlin posted:

Also I was actually spoiled on the Raiden switcheroo before I played the game, and I always felt that knowing that beforehand allowed me to enjoy the game more than I would have had I been "tricked."
I was spoiled on Raiden when I got home with the game and opened the instruction book to look for the controls. On the very first page which is the contents it lists "Player Characters". Characters? With an s? I just had to zip right to that page and see what was up. The book even goes so far as to tell you the sword controls which had always left me thinking, were they really even trying to hide anything?

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
You tore that harrier apart despite the handicaps and sass. Shame it was followed up by getting pissed on and diving into the ocean...

This makes two MGS games in which you can get pissed on. Did Kojima drop it with 3 or have I somehow managed to miss it all these years? Also is it to late to showoff the absolutely silly quick travel method in this game or are we now locked into Strut 2 for the long haul? By the way since its hard to tell from youtube videos, how are the HD ports visually? A worthy replacement for the originals?

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Oh yeah, I hadn't seen the wigs before so this shades+wig run is just making a goofy game seem even goofier. Good stuff. Dog tag collecting is fun at first, but trying to keep track of mans or holding them up on each pass through a room wears quickly on me. Grinding in an MGS game just didn't fit. Good thing they learned from that...

ChaosArgate posted:

3 doesn't have you get pissed on as far as I can remember. The HD ports are fantastic, they look stunning and Bluepoint games managed to get MGS3 running at a solid 60 FPS as opposed to the barely stable 30 of the PS2 version. Peace Walker also looks beautiful compared to the PSP version, but that one's a more obvious jump in visual quality.

Danaru posted:

Also yeah, the HD versions are absolutely fantastic aside from a couple framerate issues during particle heavy scenes.
Well, I'm sold on the collection then. Or maybe just 2/3 because nobody could pay me enough to touch PW again. I'll relive its badness through the LP and nothing more.

Choco1980 posted:

Considering Danaru didn't show off part 1's quick travel method which is essentially the same, I doubt he'll do it here either.
I believe he talked about it at least. No problem though. I begrudge no one for forgetting something in a MGS game. Far to many one-off things to keep track of.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Are we sure Grace isn't a Patriots spy? She's constantly talking into your ear during the mission and clearly has some questionable motives with some of the things she tells you to do. :ohdear:

Also I like these swimming segments in MGS2 and I wish more games did underwater parts so well. Oh and Ghost Babel is looking kind of fun so far, barring the codec text dumps. Sure would be nice of Konami to put it up on the 3DS VC.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Nice to see Ghost Babel picking back up. The birds/dogs/boxes had formed a giant pit of suck for a little while there.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Oh pick-e, my sweet summer child...
You said it was a really good MG game right? Are you implying we're not out of the pit yet? :ohdear:

Or is this just the point where the stream enters into trainwreck territory / Danaru keeps playing with electrified water?

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
"Not many people watched VR Missions"

People are weird. I'm sure there are far, far less VR Mission videos out there than any other MGS game, yet... well the LP was good and got me to replay and finish much of the game anyway. Those Ninja missions were telling. You get about as much Ninja gameplay in VR as you do sword Raiden in MGS2. By the way are you planning to showoff the MGS4 Database later on? If so don't attach a drinking game to it. You wouldn't make it out alive.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
For all the poo poo Ray rightfully gets, I still think it's pretty drat cool looking. Plus it provides the best and most hectic giant robot fight in the series. Though Liquid Dan's sidle maze and nikita navigational skills proved an even bigger spectacle...

Danaru posted:

r.i.p. ps3
9 years old? Wait, were you using an original model all this time? If so yours put up one good fight compared to mine which lasted a year and a half at best. :(

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Mikl posted:

You're not going to convince us you're actually good at video games, you know :colbert:
As one of the rare MGS fans who has no interest in playing MGSV, I have no frame of reference for his claim. When the LP of it rolls around the LP curse will hit and he'll inevitably suck against whatever the "Sahelanthropus" is on Normal mode thus disproving his claim. :v:

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

gregory posted:

"Who's the King of Ghost BabelTERRIBLE?!"
--Danaru 2015
He got so salty over that ranking too, it was amazing.

So Ghost Babel has VR Missions too? And as per the credits "Link Battle"? I smell a Dan vs. Grace bonus episode!

Good job finishing off Solidus while on fire. A shame that didn't carry over to the ending cutscene, but then the ending is pretty drat absurd on its own.

Does MGS3 also have cutscene demo shenanigans? Because that was a great way to end the episode/game.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
I'd forgotten how cutscene/codec heavy early MGS3 was and the next episode will only bring more. After Adam/Eva intros we're pretty in the clear for more gameplay than chatter episodes I believe? I have to say that so far I'm not hearing the "gruff devolution" of Hayter-Snake's voice. Not in MGS2 nor here.

Surprised the game doesn't want you to Cure Snake's crushed hand. I guess you could say he has regenerating health since he's up and dunking people after that and a week after all of that other poo poo the Boss did to him. Why didn't you take the opportunity to toss someone off the bridge? Will we not be getting the full Sorrow experience in this playthrough? :ohdear: Oh and yeah, your wacky photo taking in MGS2 was rather lacking outside of the Tanker chapter. Try harder to fill up that hdd with photos of MGS3!

On another note...
Grace: "we have to play more sonic games"
Keep on resisting! Don't give in!

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
What is with the Cobras and their goofy poses? Ocelot's one thing, but these are old rear end men. Nerds, the lot of them!

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
That Sonic Dreams collection was the stuff of nightmares. I can believe Grace about not having trouble with Emerald Coast if it was the Dreamcast version. It's not glitchless or without wonkiness, but it seems like every port of Adventure 1 has way more issues. He is wrong about the Dreamcast not having DLC though, as Adventure 1 itself had some and more games that followed also did.

Also not all 3D Sonic games follow the Eggman fucks up & subsequent teamup against super monster thing, and at least one of them actually subverts this trope!

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
How in the world did you get beer in your eye? And what's with you and the indoor segments of MGS3? Seeing a bunch of scientists makes you want to strip Snake and go on a dunkathon?

Also be nice to The Fury. He's a cool boss fight.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Regarding trophies popping that you should've already had, that would be because you hadn't sync'd them to your new/borrowed PS3. Of course even if you do that, each games "trophy pack" has to be reinstalled, and once that's done if you sync again then the ones you've already earned will stop popping up again. It's a process I've been through many times myself.

pick-e fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 18, 2015

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
"Static Shock was a good show" Overdose on cameos aside, drat straight :)

Didn't know you could mess with Volgin like that, almost feel bad for the guy until he starts mowing down his own men. The bike sequence is only good in the cinematic mode. If you actually try shooting guys the controls and fun factor are about as poor as they are in MGS1/4's vehicle segments.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Is drunk Dan not gay, or are bunny girls just universally loved? On another note Tales of Graces will be my first Tales game once I free up some space in the backlog. Sounds like I picked a winner?

Oh and I'm one of those odd people here for the games! Especially the ones/parts of them I've not seen or played before! MGS2 VR looks fun and I'm digging its music.

If Grace still wants in on Ghost Babel, why not stream its VR / Special Missions? :getin:

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Finally decided to stop playing video games and resume watching other people do so, meaning I'm now caught up with this... trainwreck? What happened, you blew through VR Missions with its "aged controls/mechanics" like nobodies business. :confused: Granted, Ninja Raiden modes seem pretty crappy instead of pretty great ala VRM's Ninja Mode. Does fully clearing Substance net you anything? Or is this just a "play through all of these rehashed stages because it's fun! ...mostly."?

While it's true nobody controls in Sonic R, I'll still defend it as being a fun game once you get used to the controls and learn the tracks. And yes you can drift. I'd forgotten the Chaos Emerald gently caress you screen, that's great. Also this thread has now been cursed by Tails Doll.

You definitely don't want to play Traveller's Tales other Sonic game, Sonic 3D Blast. I tried playing it recently and felt like I was going to puke not very long into it.

pick-e fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 26, 2015

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Not to run it in, but over at the fan games thread, they started on xmas doing the sequel, which seems far more involved than the original game. I guess they're Goon-Made too. Surprisingly good voice work.
Surprisingly little gameplay judging by the first videos stop every 5 steps for Codec. Even MGS proper isn't that bad! :arghfist:

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
R.I.P. Substance :(

So many bad memories of PW flooding back as I watch these videos. Obnoxious bosses, Kaz never shutting up about picking up mans and items you're full up on, grinding, and Snakes out of control hair in cutscenes. I did see you pass by the "transfarring" option in the menu which made chuckle.

Oh no, I could hear Snake's voice finally hit full gruff when he said cargo. We've finally arrived.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Dan were you going to say you didn't like Chrono Trigger? And you enjoy Chrono Cross? If so I'm going to go download CC off of PSN and give it a go.

Also assuming Grace continues to get better at PW how about doing some Versus OPs later on in the game to determine the true Dunk Master?

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Was it 60$ when it came out I thought psp games where like 50$ new not that it matters both are still bullshit for a portable game.
$40 like most big name PSP titles were. I don't recall all that many which made the jump to $50. That was a pretty short-lived thing early on in the systems life iirc.

pick-e fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 15, 2016

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
"What is this thing and how long does it take to die?" - Grace and... every person who's played a boss fight in Peace Walker. :v:

Danaru posted:

I wouldn't say I DISLIKE Chrono Trigger, but I stopped playing the first time at some point in the first trip to the bad future, the second time I stopped after rescuing Ayla's idiot boyfriend. Both times I just kinda stopped because I got bored and had other stuff I wanted to play.

I do absolutely urge everyone to get Chrono Cross on PSN though, if you have PS+ it's on sale for three bucks.
Bought it and played just a little before deciding I needed to stop and study the manual. I have so many questions. Like why does this seem similar to FFX, and also has there been a more depressing first town in an RPG (sans the ones that get destroyed at the start)? Everyone is like "man I'm old and what did I do with my life? :confused:"

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
All caught up again and I see you two now know the pain and shame of being dunked by enemy soldiers. :(

I have to say that Graces idea of "saving" you may not be all that bad. You two have been scooping up tons of mans and it would be a shame if MB ended up overflowing with them. All of that "friendly" fire on the other hand... that should be saved for Versus OPs!

"Jungle fatigues are made for jungle combat." Thanks Kaz.

"Why is it so fast?" :downs:
Judging by the fight, you two absorbed almost nothing from the mission briefing tapes. Then again after the Kaz hour of power and heaven only knows how much for the other characters I can't blame you.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Since they were brought up recently-ish I've been rewatching Jungle Strike and The Final Option and boy were those videos far less "lovingly nauseating" than the MGS series has been. I think this scientifically proves love can bloom on the battlefield. :p

Regarding Fable, whatever happened to Fable 3? I'm still so curious how much further it will go into the "this is a videogame" territory. Also I'd never heard of red pandas until this thread but they're quickly climbing my list of animals I'm okay with. Thanks Elbakki!

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
"Tuna noooo :gonk:"
Missed cliffhanger opportunity. Cut it there, start the next episode with "oh he went to health chamber sickbay not to death".

Gotta say that whomever asked for tape videos deserve some props. Good things have to from them such as making GBS threads on Huey, to Cosima along with all that came with it. Great job tranq-killing that dude climbing the ladder by the way! Trash talking the shotgun guys only to immediately get shot in the back by one? ...Not so great. Also "What the hell was that sound?" Dan you're becoming one of the Johnnys.

And I'm still early in Chrono Cross and enjoying it despite not knowing what the gently caress is going on in regards to just about anything, and this is after reading the instruction book. Invisible exp/level system? Sure why not!

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
You two must've really been drunk or got something out of the story/characters that I didn't. :confused: All the same, r.i.p soldier/robot mom. You'll live on as a jpop idol vocaloid thing.

5 is next rather than more Substance? :( Guess I'll finally get to see if all the making GBS threads on Huey was justified or not.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Danaru posted:

There might be more substance, I'm a little hesitant considering we lost a poo poo TON of viewers since people apparently weren't into it. I'd still like to finish it, I'll just likely do all the samey bullshit offscreen like I did with VR Missions.
Darn finnicky viewers. Worse comes to worse I'll just have to pull it off the backlog and play it myself... some day.

Danaru posted:

4's going to be last just because it provides much needed closure to the Metal Gear timeline, also I like 4 and it's ending :colbert:
Where does Rising come in then, and is Grace still pretty much blind in regards to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Dumb plot getting in the way, I was getting all curious about that pirate's treasure quest. :( Great ending battle. It only could've been better if it turned out that some of your grunts were also traitors and you had to deal with them and Zeke.

Is it safe to say you hate Huey more than the anime?