Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

February 2016 is a leap year. So, we get an extra day! Maybe the theme could be something related to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

I'll figure out how to incorporate that into a Challenge somehow if you Oath something ;)

I plan to, I do.

But first I need to finish my last, failed oath.

You know. The one from July 2014. :negative:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Can we Whales stuff from last season?

I have a fail from last season I'd like to make good on.

Hmm. I've never allowed that before. Here are three reasons why I hesitate:
-There's only one prize draw, so if I allow Whalesing of previous-year oaths, the entries could gradually become saturated by the painters who have been Oathing the longest. I'd rather newcomers have a similar chance at prizes.
-Previous years' oath threads eventually get archived. I have archives access, but many goons don't, so it would become difficult to verify the previous years' entries against a claim for Whales in the current year.
-If you have forever to go back and Whales an oath, it'll be easier to put it off... forever. An incentive to revisit your failed oaths sooner (e.g., this year) might be the best way to get us procrastinators to finish things.

That said, if there's a strong push by others to get old oaths in for Whalesing, I'm open to being convinced.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Deanut Pancer posted:

How about a cutoff for failed-oaths - say anything from the final 3 months of the previous season can be carried over? (I don't how long it takes a thread to get archived - that might still be too long). I'd argue for something like this because we'd allow a fail from month 1 to be whale'd almost a year later in month 12, but a failure in month 11 or 12 is almost/completely impossible to save. I don't know if thespaceinvader's failed oath would fall within this span though...

That would be a reasonable compromise. I will say I disagree with the "almost/completely impossible to save" - remember, this is something the person actually oathed to paint in a month, and had a whole month in which to paint. Sure, if that oather wants to finish another full regular month's oath in addition to the Whales, that's... well, at least one additional model?

But yeah I could do a 3-month lookback or something. I'm wondering how many goons that would actually benefit, though. How many goons failed an oath in the last three months of the last thread?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is there a deadline for oathing, this season? Because I'm still sort of half-assedly thinking I have time to do an oath, but still haven't picked out a model that I want to paint yellow.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nice, OK. I might get some time next week.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would not want to link my SA identity with my FB identity, but a FB page still might be a good idea, just to show off what we're doing in a way sponsors can see, without being behind a paywall. A Wordpress site might be even better for that, though, since it doesn't involve FB potentially planting conflicting advertising onto the page.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Anonymity is antithetical to Facebook's paradigm, unfortunately. Their whole bag is real people and their real names (which can be more effectively advertised-to. Always remember: you are not Facebook's customer, you are their product.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK well. This is fairly pathetic, but it's probably what I have time for.

For May 2015, I oath this young lady! A Reaper Bones miniature.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OATH COMPLETE!

Claiming this month's Theme, obviously her fashionable slicker and galoshes are quite yellow.

Also claiming SPEED PAINTING! Under 2 hours, and that included time to drive to the train station to pick up my wife.

OK. Not a brilliant paint job, but the details on this mini were a tad mushy, and I did it entirely with about eight different minitaire paints, and one kind of shagged-out brush, and I'm actually quite happy with how the yellow came out. I went for a orangish shade, and her face came out pretty decent too. I wanted white hair, but I shadowed it with sepia ink, and I think it came out bleached blonde, which is OK.

I might try to take some better pictures in the sunlight tomorrow.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ahahah oh my god, I forgot to put my name in my oath complete photo, and it was days ago. :negative:

Welp. Too late now?

I assume so, but this should make it more convenient for the slideshow, anyway:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Here's this month's theme, for anyone who forgot they're all in the OP now, like I did:

quote:

June: Summer’s here! Holiday theme time!
  • technical challenge: let’s go with the sun and beach for your holiday travels this year - paint water, mold water & paint it - just stick water on your model somewhere (bases included)
  • theme challenge: Travel-time! Anything involving travel to a holiday destination using a vehicle of some sort

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JerryLee posted:

if I had the time, the appropriate parts, etc. I would totally model Kharn kicked back in a beach chair by the side of a blood ocean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyH2kU4NjHA

BLOOD OCEAN

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Serotonin, do you know about the Perry brothers? Very famous miniature sculptors. Anyway one of the brothers lost his hand, and switched. Very next mini he did, using his "wrong" hand, was the famous Green Knight sculpt for GW's brettonians.

I was just thinking it'd be cool if you painted a Perry mini with your left hand, out of solidarity.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JcDent posted:

Gentlegoons! Will I permitted to Save Da Whales?

Did you complete an Oath that you made in a previous month for this thread? Then yes!

Bear in mind that Saving Whales doesn't earn you other points-earning things that you would have gotten for that month. But it sure earns you an entry in the annual prize draw. :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I painted four stands of epic eldar fire dragons last night while watching football, and then realized when I finished that I could have Oathed them. Oops!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey, I still have two days! Why the hell not.

For September, I Oath 6 Epic Eldar Support Weapon Stands

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oath Complete!

No jurnal this month.

Eldar dude included for scale: (NOTE: ELDAR DUDE NOT PART OF OATH):

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Oath Complete!

No jurnal this month.

Eldar dude included for scale: (NOTE: ELDAR DUDE NOT PART OF OATH):

Uhh. I seem to have written "august" when obviously it was september. Because I've lost track of what month this is.

Should I fix this, or what? I have the originals so it wouldn't be too hard to re-do the cropping/resizing/labeling for these four photos.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

October Oath

I oath five stands of Epic Eldar rangers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

October Oath

I oath five stands of Epic Eldar rangers.

OATH COMPLETE

No bonuses or theme this month.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey oathers, just a reminder that it's time for TG Secret Santa, an excellent opportunity to send and receive miniatures and other TG game related stuff! It's fun and cool and you should join in, assuming you are a responsible person who will remember to buy your Santee a present on time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Uroboros posted:

If you make multiple oaths in a season, but only complete one can you save the whales the other one for the upcoming month? I ask because my Terminators are done but I doubt my Devastators will be ready in 10 days, especially with Thanksgiving.

Everything you oath in one month is "an oath" which you either finished that month, or, you failed to finish and can therefore Save th Whales by finishing at any time for the rest of that Oathing Season.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arson Fire posted:

Oath Complete!

I got out the light tent, then found this thing doesn't really fit in it. Oh well.

these Photobucket links don't load for me. Generally photobucket embeds break within hours: I reccomend imgur.

e. and now they're loading, but the point stands, you might want to rehost so they're still here on Tuesday.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 30, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi oath thread. I haven't been oathing, and I also hadn't been keeping up with this thread, but I just read through the last 300+ posts and now here I am!

The Whales drawing is still on. A few people asked about it. As with previous years, just complete a failed oath and you get an entry in the drawing, which will take place after the last month of this Season.

I have been painting, a little; but mostly just reconditioning or completing some incomplete models, so nothing that would qualify for the thread. I also bought a router and built a shelf for my paints:

When I finish replacing the transmission in my truck, I'll probably get back to doing some more serious miniature painting.

In the meantime, just in case I fall behind again: if you have any questions about the Whales contest, please feel free to PM me, or email me - my user name at gmail dot com.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Germ posted:

Oderus Urungus

I hadn't been paying attention and only found out this week that he died two years ago. :rip: :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Save Da Whales: I assume Leperflesh is still OK to continue this under the same rules he's been using?

Yes!

Also, Everyone: Krushgroove is very modest and just sort of makes prizes happen (sometimes belatedly, but he does make them happen) so a lot of people may not realize this:

Our beloved thread overlord spends several hundred pounds a year just on postage. A couple of other goons sending out prizes in other countries also drop a lot of their personal cash on postage, but Krush's expenditures are the highest. He does this without complaint or even comment, just because he loves doing this thread and supporting the contest.

So on behalf of the whole thread, I'd like to extend thanks and gratitude to you, Krushgroove, not only for your time and efforts on the contest but also for your substantial financial contributions. This is a costly project and we recognize and appreciate what you're doing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Since this season is over, please whoever is now handling the spreadsheet: tally up one entry per Whales'd oath and do a random draw? You can do it at the same time as the yearlong/season end prizes and the April prizes if you want.

krushgroove, email or PM me when that happens, so I don't miss it. I do have this thread bookmarked but I have four pages of bookmarked threads so I might go for a while before I noticed.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am here!

Mugaaz, congratulations! The prize for saving the Whales is your choice of a selection of old miniatures, which I will assemble for you, or a US$25 gift cert to the online retailer of your choice. Please get in touch with me via PMs or email (my user name at gmail.com).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I am here!

Mugaaz, congratulations! The prize for saving the Whales is your choice of a selection of old miniatures, which I will assemble for you, or a US$25 gift cert to the online retailer of your choice. Please get in touch with me via PMs or email (my user name at gmail.com).

I haven not heard from Mugaaz at all, and he or she does not have PMs enabled. Coordinators, if any of you have contact info for him/her, could you please send a ping?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it worked, Zark: I got a message from Mugaaz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mugaaz selected the $25 gift certificate option for his Saving da Whales prize, and he picked Miniature Market as the vendor. Congrats again to this year's winner, and thanks to everyone who went to the effort of saving their poor lost whales. :)

• Locked thread