Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I'm going to make a curious question: is it okay to oath models without bases, even though they usually come with ones? I'm asking this because I've just moved to a temporary home (renovations) and I didn't pack my basing materials with me, so I won't be actually making many bases until autumn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Let's get this show on the road. I hope I'm not going to be quite as busy this season as I was last, hopefully I'll get more stuff done this time.

I, Lord Hypnostache, oath 3 player pieces from Relic (FFG) and an Orc Boar Chariot (28mm GW)

The chariot normally has two drivers, but I seem to have lost temporarily misplaced him, I'll oath him when I find him. Also yes, those Relic guys were my Alternate Universe Oath last season, I didn't get any of them beyond primed. I hope this is okay.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete in the nick of time (or my watch is wrong)

I went with the schoolbus theme

Backstory
Oi! You lot! I've gots me a kunning plan! Dem stinky 'umies, dem's got school buses, wot take lil' 'umies to school and keeps 'em safe. Big n' yellow, wiv a red sign. I've got me own school buz right 'ere! Da 'umie red sign tells 'em to be careful, buncha wussies. My sign sayz WAAAAAAAGH! Now, you lot, get in! Boyz only, no grots allowed! Time to teach dem 'umies a lesson!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

krushgroove posted:

Just a reminder on your names being in your Oath Complete pictures!
If you DON'T put your name in, YOU WILL NOT EARN POINTS TOWARDS YOUR FINAL POINTS TOTAL. You are still eligible for prize draws and Judgements, though!
If you DO put your name in, you WILL earn points, as well as be eligible for prize draws and Judgements.

The idea is that if you just want to get things painted, dip in and out, etc., don't worry about your name. But those of you shooting for the top 10, add in your name for sure!

Hopefully this doesn't make things too difficult for the judges (it all depends how they look at the finished models, whether it's post-by-post from the spreadsheet links or only by the photo album pictures)

Oops, completely forgot about that. Edited the names into the pictures (I'm so glad imgur supports editing)

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I, Lord Hypnostache oath the following random bunch of models: Chaos Terminator Lord, 3 Goblin Spider Riders, one Orc, Dark Elf Sorceress, Dark Elf Fleetmaster, 4 Dark Elf Witches, 4 Relic player pieces. The Relic pieces are by Fantasy Flight Games, everything else is 28mm Games Workshop.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
:sun: Oath complete! :sun:

I'm claiming Box Art for the Psyker and Sister of Battle

I got a bit carried away and forgot what the actual theme for journal was, but everyone's ready for a day at the beach! The orc has dressed up in its nicest summer dress with pink flowers and the goblin has some sick waves painted on his shield. The dark elf has managed to find the one beach where it apparently isn't nice and sandy. Dark elves hate fun.

Ninjaedit: Oh poo poo, the theme was traveling and not beaches. Uhh, the goblin is traveling on a giant spider?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I got a bit carried away and forgot what the actual theme for journal was, but everyone's ready for a day at the beach! The orc has dressed up in its nicest summer dress with pink flowers and the goblin has some sick waves painted on his shield. The dark elf has managed to find the one beach where it apparently isn't nice and sandy. Dark elves hate fun.

Ninjaedit: Oh poo poo, the theme was traveling and not beaches. Uhh, the goblin is traveling on a giant spider?

And once again I forgot to include my username in the pics, I've edited them in.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I, Lord Hypnostache, oath these four orcs and nine gamepieces for Relic Orcs are 28mm GW and Relic pieces are by Fantasy Flight Games.

Immediately after taking the picture I managed to drop all the models and I have no idea where the techmarine piece went. Hopefully I can find it in time.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete

I've painted too many orcs this season and I'm starting to lose interest in them. Need to paint something else next month.

Claiming Journal for the banner.

Also, finished my last batch of Relic minis

This season has been really good for me so far, I've finally painted all the Relic minis I have and I've freehanded more banners during this season ever before, I've actually gone back and redid some of my old banners.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I, Lord Hypnostache, oath these six Space Marines. 28mm GW.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oh hey, I probably should check the spreadsheet more often. I'm missing completions from May and July, as well as Backstory and Sixpack achievements from May and Box Art from June.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Oath complete in the nick of time (or my watch is wrong)

I went with the schoolbus theme

Backstory
Oi! You lot! I've gots me a kunning plan! Dem stinky 'umies, dem's got school buses, wot take lil' 'umies to school and keeps 'em safe. Big n' yellow, wiv a red sign. I've got me own school buz right 'ere! Da 'umie red sign tells 'em to be careful, buncha wussies. My sign sayz WAAAAAAAGH! Now, you lot, get in! Boyz only, no grots allowed! Time to teach dem 'umies a lesson!

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Oath complete

I've painted too many orcs this season and I'm starting to lose interest in them. Need to paint something else next month.

Claiming Journal for the banner.

Also, finished my last batch of Relic minis

This season has been really good for me so far, I've finally painted all the Relic minis I have and I've freehanded more banners during this season ever before, I've actually gone back and redid some of my old banners.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

lovestick posted:

You were missing the sixpack and may points because you did not earn points for the month of May.

The pictures that did not have your username were fixed and updated after the deadline which is why you did not earn any points. Since this was the first month and you fixed it pretty darn quick krushgoove may take mercy on you.

Oh alright, my bad. If krushgroove is is merciful I will gladly take the points, but I'm mostly interested in making sure I'm in the monthly and quarterly prize raffles, and I just noticed that that doesn't seem to be dependent on having completed oaths with journals.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

LordAba posted:

Spare the rod, spoil the child. Unless he shows true contrition in an entertaining way? Hmm.

I'm moving in a week, but once I've settled and set up my hobby desk, I'll oath something mercy related.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
:supaburn:OATH COMPLETE!:supaburn:

I'm back home with my basing stuff, so all the models have a base despite there being only two in the original oath pic.

Journal is the flame pattern on this marine's shoulder pad.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I, Lord Hypnostache, oath a Citadel woods, 5 Skitarii Rangers, 5 Skitarii Vanguard, a Witch Hunter, a scared looking Empire villager and 5 Tempestus Scions Everything is 28mm GW

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete!

Journal

I tried to paint them like Brotherhood of Steel from Fallout games, turns out that color combination is almost identical to the studio paint job.

They are also joined by some NCR Rangers, also from Fallout (New Vegas specifically)

(I didn't have time to make bases for these guys, good thing I didn't include bases in the oath picture)

I claim Speedpaint for this guy

Special Oath! Since I goofed earlier in the season and was given mercy (and points) I promised to make a Mercy Oath. So I painted the sorriest looking model in my collection. Don't know what I will use him for, but he certainly is sorry.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I, Lord Hypnostache, oath one Helbrute, one Bloodwrack Medusa and one Orc Shaman Helbrute and Medusa are by GW, Shaman is from Avatars of War, everything is 28mm.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath addition! I add these two objective markers to my October Oath!
I took this picture yesterday but forgot to post it, I hope it's okay.

Almost done with what I've oathed so far and there's still a week left, plenty of time to get some more done.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete!

Claiming I Rolled a 6! for these objective markers.

For Journal this Orc Shaman has dressed up as a spooky ghost for Halloween.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I, Lord Hypnostache, oath four Crusaders, one Pit & Grave, one ruined tower and one broken statue. Crusaders kitbashed from GW miniatures, the terrain pieces are from THMiniatures. Everything is 28mm.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete!

The Journal is the freehand skull painted on one of the shields. I think this was my first time freehanding skulls without going for an intentionally orcish look.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Whoops, half the month is already gone and I haven't oathed anything. Also I took these pictures yesterday and forgot to upload them. Double whoops.

I, Lord Hypnostache, for the month of December, oath five Terminators from Space Hulk, a Chapter Master and five Death Cult Assassins. 28mm GW.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath failed

Steam sales are poison to productivity :(

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Hey. a question about saving the whales! Since I failed my last month's oath, can I attempt to save it in February? I'm preparing for a tournament and they are not part of my list, so I probably don't have time to get them finished this month.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I, Lord Hypnostache, oath two kitbashed Dark Elf Shades and one Catachan trooper with a flamer. Everything is 28mm GW.

I went through my boxes to find the oldest unpainted model that I could potentially use in a game. Turns out it is this beefcake Catachan from 1994.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath Complete!

Retro journal is this Catachan beefcake from 1994, or at least that's what the tag says. I'm pretty sure it didn't find it's way into my collection in 1994, I was not into hams when I was 6 (I started hamming when I was 8!).

Technical Journal are the two Dark Elf Shades kitbashed from Corsair and Wildwood Ranger bits. I'm pretty happy with the results, I will be making more of these guys.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I, Lord Hypnostache, for the month of February, oath these 3 River Trolls and 4 Cold One Knights

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I'm also attempting to Save Whales from December. Here's the state these guys are in right now:

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Whoops, half the month is already gone and I haven't oathed anything. Also I took these pictures yesterday and forgot to upload them. Double whoops.

I, Lord Hypnostache, for the month of December, oath five Terminators from Space Hulk, a Chapter Master and five Death Cult Assassins. 28mm GW.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath Complete!

Journal is the broken heart on the banner.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Whales saved!

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I'm also attempting to Save Whales from December. Here's the state these guys are in right now:

Lord Hypnostache fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 1, 2016

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Zark the Damned posted:

OK, that's been added. Didn't realise there was a special area for Whale Saving.

I'm also missing my whales.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I, Lord Hypnostache, for the month of March, oath one Imperial Guard Heavy Weapon Team and four Dark Elf Shades All kitbashed from GW bits

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I, Lord Hypnostache, for the month of March, oath one Imperial Guard Heavy Weapon Team and four Dark Elf Shades All kitbashed from GW bits

OATH ADDITION! I'm adding three more kitbashed Dark Elf Shades to my March Oath

I was going to build one more of these guys and save them for later, but managed to lose one head, meaning I was one dude short and would have to multibase to compensate and it would be just easier to paint them all at once and get them all based at once.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete! (and with 1,5 hours to spare!)

For journal, the Heavy Weapons Team is kitbashed from various Catachan and Cadian kits and the dudes from Assassin's Creed Dark Elf Shades are kitbashed from Wildwood Rangers and Black Ark Corsairs, with some command bits from Dark Riders.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I, Lord Hypnostache, for the month of April, oath one Orc Warboss and three Spirit Hosts. All 28mm GW.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete!:proof:

Technical journal is the rusty armor on the orc. I used some weathering techniques I haven't had much practice with. I was also going to practice how to paint things to look ethereal, but then I decided my spirit hosts should look like shadows.

And here's All for One! groupshot. It does feel good seeing how much I've gotten done in a year, especially since that picture doesn't contain the occasional color scheme tests, palette cleansers and other quick one-offs I do occasionally.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

krushgroove posted:

challenges for next season

I like them. I'd change the February challlenge to a more generic one , limiting this to only movies and only 2016 doesn't leave that much room for creativity. Having a general Break the 4th Wall challenge has always been my favorite, so I'd like to see it return.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

My idea for spring or January was whatever mini you've had in WIP stage for longest, you finally finish. Or if you're a weirdo that finishes everything they start, then extreme makeover. Obviously waiving the 1 color requirement.

I like this. Some of the older Oath threads had something like this, Amnesty month I think it was called.

JerryLee posted:

Re: the challenges. The June challenges seem redundant, in that if you've done the technical challenge, you've automatically done the theme challenge too; or, to put it another way, the theme challenge is only a numerically lesser version of the technical challenge, with nothing else to distinguish it. Unless I'm missing something.

Maybe June theme challenge should be to paint a model that's kicking back, relaxing and enjoying life. A model that's very clearly not in the middle of a battle, waving a gun around, swinging a sword or roaring at adventurers. Something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Electric Hobo posted:

The winner of the SPRINGER-PINSEL brush pack is: LORD HYPNOSTACHE!
Oh, this is nice! I won a set a couple of years back and they've been the best brushes I've had the pleasure of using. And I've just been considering getting some new ones to replace ones that are not good anymore (most of them), so this is highly convenient and highly appreciated.

quote:

And now the GRAB BAG prize!
The winner of the GRAB BAG prize is: LORD HYPNOSTACHE!

Oh, this is very nice! I'll let Under 15, Jackman and Tokimon make their picks first before making a choice. Unless they all live in US? (I'm looking at the EU grab bag and the city fight booby traps would be extremely my jam, unless someone else wants them first)

• Locked thread