Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I Ugleb, hereby start this season by oathing the Arkham Origins Bane Crew set & Alfred Pennyworth. All 35mm scale for the Batman Miniatures Game by Knight Models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Leperflesh posted:

That would be a reasonable compromise. I will say I disagree with the "almost/completely impossible to save" - remember, this is something the person actually oathed to paint in a month, and had a whole month in which to paint. Sure, if that oather wants to finish another full regular month's oath in addition to the Whales, that's... well, at least one additional model?

But yeah I could do a 3-month lookback or something. I'm wondering how many goons that would actually benefit, though. How many goons failed an oath in the last three months of the last thread?

Could we make it even simpler and just with the last month of the previous season? That allows for the 'oh crap I didn't realise the season was ending' folks without carrying too much over between seasons.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

A thought about the paywall thing, would it help if we had some sort of an external page that show cased the oaths and judgements each month? We could then slap sponsor logos on it and potentially use it to raise the profile of the oath thread.

Obviously you would still need to be a member to take part and things would carry on here as normal.

It could potentially be something as simple as a WordPress blog in a gallery format.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I think if you make the group closed on FB that stops it from blasting onto everyone's newsfeed. Or that's how it works for the local warhammer groups I have joined. Now my work colleges and distant relatives don't know I am occasionally arranging nerd battles with my demons.

I'm still fine with a wordpress or whatever if that would help our anonymity and still look good to our sponsors.

Oh, and I better get an oath in soon. Such a crazy month.

The problem with a closed group is that random people are less likely to stumble across it and see that our sponsors are amazing people.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

krushgroove posted:

To keep the Oathing stuff in a separate post, just wanted to say about the Facebook group (not page), if we started one:
  • first of all it would be *in addition to* this thread and the web page (be it WordPress or wiki)
  • further to the above, joining the Facebook group would be OPTIONAL, not required, if you don't want to connect IRL/online with other goons outside of SA that's fine, just don't join
  • further to the above, the photo albums would continue to be on Google Photos (especially now that they're free, unlimited, for life), NOT posted only on Facebook - although the top 3 photos at least would be posted in albums to the group
  • it would also be a closed group, so no one outside the group would be able to read or see the posts in it
  • I think for sanity I'll have to be the sole admin, hopefully there's a setting where members are not allowed to add random FB members
  • in the interests of goon privacy, we might have to figure how to confirm a username is linked to an IRL name - potentially (off the top of my head) goons would email me directly, I'd give you some simple password, then you ask for membership to the group using your username and password - there would probably be some easier way to do this but I literally just thought of that while I was typing
  • prize photos, announcements, photo album links and other stuff would be posted in there, as well as 'good job' messages and other stuff (hopefully family-friendly but whatever)
  • you guys would have my solemn promise that I won't change the group status from Closed to Open (I see some game group pages do that), so you could post a comment like 'phroar' about whatever titty cheesecake models (or giant alien space robits) that may get posted and your Aunt Bertha and Uncle Maurice won't see whatever you might have to say
  • and finally a heads-up that sponsors would be invited to see the Facebook page, so there will be a few non-goons seeing the page, but again you don't have to interact with them at all

Hopefully that settles any fears (which seem to be mostly about personal privacy, which is understandable). For the record, the only IRL info that's been given to anyone regarding the Oath stuff is so that people can be sent stuff from sponsors, whether they are fellow goons or companies giving us awesome stuff. I'm happy to friend anyone on Facebook (so feel free enri!) because in my day job (and one of my side jobs) I'm fairly 'known' within our little niche industry, but I know this is a rare thing, and even rarer among goons of a certain disposition.

OK. So about the site - I think I will transition the wiki page to a WordPress site for sure, although I can't say when that will happen. I've got a full-time job, painting commissions as one of my side jobs and a fiancee' who for some reason wants me to spend time with her, so I'll get to it when I get to it :) I 'know' WordPress, having run several of my own blogs/sites on there and managing a couple of others (similar to the FB pages).

I think that about covers it...? Anything else? I'm not going to do anything right away so we can have a bit more discussion about it, but we are heading into a rainy weekend (surprise, Britain!) so I will likely have some time in the next couple of days. If we come to some consensus and general agreement I'll get started.

I like everything said apart from the closed part of the Facebook group. If only SA forum members can see it, and membership has to be verified to join it, is it doing anything that this thread doesn't already do?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Ooh them, they do some crates scatter terrain I quite like the look of for Batman skirmish gaming. :)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

:dance:

Most of my paints are Vallejo!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Oath complete!

I think they turned out ok, but I struggled with faces in particular. I think I need some better brushes to help me with finer detail, my £2 set has its limitations. And maybe a steadier hand... I tried to thin my paints more than previously, mixing colours and layer things up, but it gets a bit punishing when you slip and need to correct!

No challenge for me as I couldn't find something to paint yellow, but I'm claiming The 6-pack! and Box art for Bane:

And a few close-ups of the other guys. These two I was practising with layers and skin tone on. Was tempted to try a tattoo but chickened out.

Alfred's hair was a bugger, I may yet go back and re-work it. I gave pin stripes a go on his trousers, not too bad for a first attempt I think.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 30, 2015

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

That sucks considering all I have for camera/Web browser is my phone.

Guess I'm screwed til I can buy/borrow a camera. I get why it's that way but man that's going to be tricky for me to do when my only camera/Web Access device are the same thing.

A lot of people just put the models in front of their monitor or on the keyboard of their laptop displaying the american samoa timestamp. Your picture does not need to be good, so long as other people can make out what it is. Some of mine have been little more than silhouettes of black primed minis in the shape of the thing I'm oathing. ;)

Just make sure you get the time zone right and are starting to paint on the 1st of the month according to it. And that you are posting your oath complete pics under the same criteria!

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 31, 2015

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

JerryLee posted:

Did you read what they said? They don't have a monitor or laptop that can display the webpage.

I clearly did not.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Weirdo posted:

The custom objective marker, made entirely of dwarf hammers.

A game of warhammers?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I Ugleb, hereby oath one PHR Nemesis and four bases of PHR Sirens, all for Dropzone Commander by Hawk Wargames, 10mm scale.

All hail the pile of parts that shall combine to maketh the giant stompy scorpion robit with a giant frikkin laser beam! :science:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Oath complete!

I'm looking forwards to getting these guys into battle and stomping the big gun into position!

I was going to try and put some water on the bases of these guys but ended up deciding against it. Still I've tried using some greenstuff to sculpt a more interesting landscape and to differentiate the squads a bit.

And the spring cleaning:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Why is it whenever I want to spray something it rains every time? Finally got these ready to paint.

I Ugleb hereby oath Ras Al Ghul and the League of Shadows crew set for the Batman Miniatures game, 32mm by Knight Models.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yay for sponsors! And go faster red!

Now as Ras and Ninja dudes are pretty much done I probably have time to tackle the dynamic duo.

Oath Addition! I Ugleb hereby oath Arkham City Batman & Arkham City Robin for the Batman Miniatures Game. 32mm scale by Knight Models.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

The cars look great! I look forwards to hiding little man's behind them!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Just a thought, but is there any chance of bringing this achievement back from last year? Or a reason why it was dropped?

Double the fun!
Do TWO Detectuv’s Jurnal/bonuses on one model. One Jurnal and one Bonus is fine too! Be sure to tell us which Jurnals or Bonuses you have completed when you post your Oath Complete picture.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Oath complete!

Personally, I think I'm starting to improve a little. Still a long way to go before I'm happy though!

The dynamic duo, including Batman's muscles and Robin's 'a month late for the yellow challenge' cape lining:

And their capes, quite pleased with these.

Ras and the League of Shadows. Or Assassins maybe. As there are loads of black outfits in Batman I went with Ras from the start of Batman Begins plus a red scarf because why not. Faces are hard though, need to learn how to do better eyes and hair. Suit turned out ok, and I avoided the temptation to just leave the ninjas in black primer!

And the back shot. Again, I think my shading is getting better and I'm happy with how the suit came out here.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

drgnvale posted:

Oath failed

These things are just a mess and I can't motivate myself to clean them up and finish them. I've been having too much fun with other models.

I aspire to your failure.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

For for the month of August, I Ugleb hereby do oath-eth:

4x lampposts for the Batman Miniatures Game, 32mm by Knight models.

And the following for Dropzone Commander, 10mm by Hawk Wargames:
4x Juno Scout Walkers
2x Triton A2 light Dropships (weapons shown separately)
2x Neptune medium Dropships
4x bases of Immortal Longreach Rifle Teams.

Invasion cometh and the PHR need their reinforcements! :D

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Signal posted:

A bit off topic, but I just got my starter set of DZC from last year's Oath Thread!

One of us! Yay! I look forwards to retro-styled DzC stuff. :allears:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Monoliths posted:

:parrot:JUDGE JULY:parrot:

1 Point - Ugleb

I'm pretty sure that's a tiny Liam Neeson, and that's wonderful all by itself, but you've done a great job painting him and his buddies. His chin looks a little stubbly, even at a distance, which means he's probably been kicking rear end at least all day long. The league of shadows fellas are suitably ninja-y in their subdued grey-blue suits, very sensible. I certainly can't overlook the heroes, who are both very well represented in their classic colors. They're immediately recognizable, which is further helped by the crisp and graphic shading.

Holy cow Batman! I wasn't expecting this! Thanks very much, this is my first time on the scoreboard and is a a very welcome surprise. Thanks for the kind words, glad you liked them.

This point winning entry is dedicated to our sponsors Springer-Pinsel and their fine brush sets. They are certainly helping me to improve my results! ;)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Pedantic post warning - that is actually a Zeus, Odin is the double rail gun one.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I'm thinking neon genesis evangelion but could be wrong. I'm thinking of the prototype.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

LazyAngel posted:

No actually... hadn't even thought of that. Think strategy-game franchise.

I just googled images, I was mentally mashing the two different colour schemes unit 00 has into one, so nope! Saw the answer in the DzC thread though, I see what you actually did there. ;)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I think it would be fair to allow your second (or whatever) oath addition to roll over to the next month if your original oath is completed provided that you oath and complete something in the following month.

If the point of the whole endeavour is to get people painting stuff then the rules should encourage people to actually complete stuff.

Also, yay for sponsors! Will take another look at their catalogue...

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Oath complete!

Excuse the crappy pictures, had to take them in poor lighting. :(

Quite pleased with my Longreach Teams, I experimented a bit with the bases a bit as I'm trying to get away from just sticking them in the standard five holes of the bases.

Dinky Janus Scout walkers with their magnetised Triton dropships:

And the Neptunes:

And finally I'd like to claim technical/theme challenge for my lampposts but I'll leave it to the officials to decide if they qualify. As these are meant to be gas lamps I was trying to depict flame/light within the glass enclosure and attempted to show shadow cast on the street curbs below. I was initially going to try adding coloured light cast on the street but after a brief experiment decided it was going to look weird so settled for darker shading instead. So yeah, I'll let others decide if I did enough here to qualify!

Something like this was my reference, I think I did ok but probably could have approached it better:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of September four Sewer markers for the Batman Miniatures Game by Knight Models, 32mm scale.

I'll oath addition the main thing for the month once I'm done prepping it.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Ugleb posted:

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of September four Sewer markers for the Batman Miniatures Game by Knight Models, 32mm scale.

I'll oath addition the main thing for the month once I'm done prepping it.

Oath complete!

I'd like to claim Speed Painting for this please.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Oath addition!

Finally got around to making my bases and spraying!

I Ugleb hereby additionally oath Victor Zsasz and Arkham Lunatics set for the Batman Miniatures Games by Knight Models, 32mm scale.

Ugleb posted:

Oath complete!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Psst! krushgroove! Don't forget my oath addition. ;)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Serotonin posted:

Oath Complete

My first model painted with my left hand!

Fairly pleased with it as first attempt although the shield rim/boss looks a tad sloppy, but it was pretty hard to do and Ive always hated doing shields.

Well done sir, not a bad result at all! :)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

And additional oath complete!

I'm claiming the theme challenge too please. These are all taken directly from the Batman Arkham Asylum game and Victor Zsasz on the left there has appeared in the Gotham TV show in his pre-Asylum days. I was trying for something that was neither tones of black/grey/dark blue nor the typical Blackgate prison orange that is very common in the Batman game. I was shooting for grubby off-white straight jackets instead.

I did take loads more pics but they all turned out to be crap for some reason. I was trying to show Zsasz's 'marks' and my attempts at palid lunatic musculature but most the pics came out too damned blurry. My camera seemed to be struggling with the lighting and locking onto the lighter colours. :/

Ugleb posted:

Oath complete!

Ugleb posted:

Oath addition!

Finally got around to making my bases and spraying!

I Ugleb hereby additionally oath Victor Zsasz and Arkham Lunatics set for the Batman Miniatures Games by Knight Models, 32mm scale.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 30, 2015

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

And yet, they look good!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of October four bases of Valkyries, a Hades walker and one Battlebus. All for Dropzone Commander by Hawk Wargames, 10mm scale

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

krushgroove posted:

Unfortunately, and this is me being totally truthful to my own detriment, I actually missed a couple of the photos while going through the June Oaths! egads! However, I told you Daryl is awesome, and to prove it he said that he can't actually pick a winner - so you're ALL getting a KR Aquila case! :)

Now I'm even more annoyed with myself for not doing this! :P

Really nice gesture from Daryl there, will have to swing by his stand at Warfare and say hi again. Grey & I had a little chat with him last year about the oath thread while collecting an order.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Grey Hunter posted:

I shall call him George.

We should all take a moment for George. Because I know what is about to happen to him.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Oath Complete!

The big fella is of course my Hades:

The Infantry are my Valkyries with their chunky jump packs:

Finally is my jurnal entry, what could be spookier than Scooby Doo?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I Ugleb, hereby oath for the month of November:

One Medusa with Triton-X dropship for Dropzone Commander, 10mm scale by Hawk Wargames
Four Neverborn from the Malifaux Two Player Starter Set, 32mm scale by Wyrd Miniatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Did you scalpel your own leg?:ohdear:

• Locked thread