Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Smegma crazies to the left! The gate! Gayboy berserkers, to the gate! (Mad Max)

There has been too much violence, too much pain.
None here are without sin.
I am gravely disappointed.
Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war.
Look at what remains of your gallant scouts.
Why? Because you're selfish!
You hoard your gasoline.

Now, my prisoners say you plan to take your gasoline out of the Wasteland.
You sent them out this morning to find a vehicle.
A rig big enough to haul that fat tank of gas.
What a puny plan!
Look around you.
This is the Valley of Death.

But I have an honorable compromise.
Just walk away.
Give me the pump ,the oil ,the gasoline ,and the whole compound, and I'll spare your lives.

Just walk away. I will give you safe passage in the Wasteland.
Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.
I await your answer.
You have one full day to decide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Looks kind of like Borderlands, is Gearbox aware that someone is ripping off their signature style and game?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Part of why I'm so hype for this game is because it's basically Mindscape's official Mad Max (and less official Outlander) game but it actually looks fun to play. NES Mad Max is just crap overall and Outlander is like the coolest game ever made if you only play it for forty-five minutes.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/madmax/madmax.htm

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Orv posted:

You could at least put forth some effort.

You could say that post was :mediocre:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mr.Citrus posted:

It appears that the movies ties into the game directly.

Scrotus, the main antagonist in the game is one of Immortan Joes three sons

This makes me guess George Miller has some kind of involvement in the story which really gives me high hours for the game.

Avalanche has said the opposite, that while a lot of stuff from the movie is present in the game it's its own thing. You can see footage of Max fighting Immortan Joe in Gas Town also which is of course not a thing that happens in the movie. I think they're going for the same mindset as the movies where it "ties in" in that it's of course the same world but there isn't really a straight continuity between them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Also the game's gone through a LOT of iterations, at first it was going to be a "Game of the Movie" thing like King Kong, but that was scrapped during production and was retooled into the current thing. So yes, there WAS a version of the game that had you fighting Immortan Joe, but this game is no longer that.

:mediocre: I already said all of this in an article I wrote about the Mad Max games that I linked to in this very thread. :D To be clearer though, rather than "Immortan Joe" Scrotus came to pass to separate the game from the movies more so they could do their own thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wHpQmN8MXs (Around 1:30 you can see Scrotus even back here) My point was just that they're playing fast and loose with the continuity of the game to focus on making the game cool (much like how the movies are constructed). The game even features a giant sculpture of Dr. Dealgood, visible crumbling skyscrapers, and some other things that wouldn't really have a place in the movie. Scrotus, and the game in general being set past Gas Town was done to help keep this continuity distance so they could do whatever they wanted instead of having it tie directly in.

I mean obviously the game is based on the movie, but a lot of its design is using concepts and scrapped ideas that didn't make it into the film itself (like how part of the game's world is definitely a dried out seabed, something only vaguely hinted at in Fury Road depending on how you interpret a conversation towards the end of that movie). Avalanche has been specific about how they are doing this and not particularly concerned with it sharing continuity with the movie beyond it of course being in the same setting like all four movies are. Most notable is that the character model for Max is based on the face used for him in much of the film's concept art. It's directly tied into the movies the same way Thunderdome is directly tied to MM2 or how Fury Road is directly tied to Thunderdome. Which is great. :)

I don't see why the best of both worlds, both Miller being involved, and it not directly tying in as tightly as some are saying, seem like things that can't happen at the same time when this is literally how the game was developed:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/03/11/where-is-mad-max-s-wasteland-and-does-it-fit-with-the-films.aspx

Mr.Citrus posted:

Quoting myself from the CD Mad Max thread.

When you made that post I actually replied with something similar to what I just posted here. :D

Either way I'm super hyped for this game. :) I've been an addict of post apocalyptic games all my life be they Road War, the old Fallouts, Outlander, even stuff like Bad Blood, this really looks like ti will be the one to deliver.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 21, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh man, I want to believe so bad but it's probably trash.

Remember after Ragnarok Online and Lineage II really blew up worldwide, everything NCSoft was involved in was suddenly going to be the next big MMO even though every single one was a not that great bad Korean MMO. They had pretty graphics for the time so they were mega popular. Anyways they had this one, Auto Assault that was getting massive hype, like even GameStop was advertising it on their tvs constantly, it had collectors editions here, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T0Uz45_gec

The main thing for the hype was that it supposedly had real time vehicular combat, but it was just a lie with it being typical MMO combat resolution anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQRI-pJwUM4

This was back in the $15 a month days too when that monthly amount was just expected for this kind of incredible experience.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Orv posted:

Gaijin has proven they have the chops to make a fun, if not particularly well balanced game. I'll be interested to see where it ends up at least.

I don't hate them, but they did inflict X-Blades and Blades of Time upon the world.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

http://kotaku.com/the-mad-max-game-doesnt-seem-to-live-up-to-the-movie-1706910397

I'm mostly hoping the frame rate is improved a bit, but I doubt it. I really hope you can turn off all the "YOU DID 5/10 ____" stuff, but at the same time I find it odd that the author was surprised by their presence. This is the same publisher that puts out the Arkham games, the constant checklist of stuff to do is just as much WBIE's trademark as it is Ubisoft's.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Realistically I'm not expecting an amazing game, just one a few steps above :mediocre: that's made better for me because I love the Mad Max movies. So it will be for me just by being a functional Just Cause reskin.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

splifyphus posted:

There's no way there can be a great videogame based on a great movie, right? That's not a thing that happens.

"Recently" there's the 2004 Riddick in terms of games released around the time of the movie but not directly based on its events launch on the same day tie in but there's a lot of cool ones in general.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I really have a soft spot in my heart for Mad Max 1 and I don't know why. I think its because it really isn't that post apocalyptic.

It's because it's an amazing movie. :) It is definitely the most realistic post apocalyptic movie though in that you see society gradually break down throughout it. Something Miller does that's really cool is that every time Max enters the police station there's less people in it, and when he goes to get the interceptor at the end he's the only person there and instead of seeing him get into it and start it you just see him fade away as he walks into darkness and then the interceptor speeds out into the camera, it's a cool thing in a movie with many many many cool things.

Each movie in the series is different enough that they can be interestingly hard to compare to each other despite sharing the same main character and setting. Like Mad Max was always my favorite series (trilogy before Fury Road) but my favorite one is which ever one I've seen most recently.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The cargo cult kid tribe in Thunderdome is amazing, and you can see a similar take on that in Immortan Joe's warboys. But it's just sooooo dull. Not because it's too long, but because it's like five different scenes of the kids believing he's Captain Walker followed by him saying he's not in increasingly absurd ways. The concept in general is great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mad Max: Furry Road

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I don't think GameStop or any US retailer has ever done a Midnight launch for a Japanese game that isn't Resident Evil 5, Final Fantasy XIII and Street Fighter IV. Even MGS4 wasn't big enough for GameStop to do it. There have been other times where a major Japanese game has come out at the same time as something else like when Operation Racoon City, FFXIII-2, RE6, TTT2, etc. came out so that it ends up being a game you can get at the Midnight launch, but in general it won't happen for a single game that isn't one of the biggest western published ones.

That said, technically any GameStop can do a Midnight launch for any game the store manager wants to, just with the general nature of the job why would you add that to your plate. So hypothetically if there was a game one REALLY REALLY NEEDS to watch install onto your PS4 before playing the tutorial and going to sleep one would have to get a bunch of people to pre-order the game at that store and get the store manager to actually want to do it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 31, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

dogstile posted:

Yeah, had to check, they say the chick in the game is there to make the bad guy seem more evil and to be a love interest. Oh no, stop the presses, a trope someone doesn't like is being used.

I'm still picking up the game first thing tomorrow morning but that IS dumb as dogshit considering the movie it's being released in the same summer as.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ville Valo posted:

This is a total blocker for me. You need the first armor upgrade to get The Jack archangel... but to get that first armor upgrade you need to complete Wasteland Classic, which is the mission to get The Jack. :gonk:

I wonder if it's like a vanilla unpatched Oblivion situation where it's straight up broken like that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Saw this pop up on stream a few days "MAD MAX: THE GAME! BUY NOW!' And my response was "eh, another tie in game" and didn't look too much into it.

Saw someone playing it last night and checked the steam page. Apparently it's a mixture of Farcry/Just Cause and My Little Orksies Shadow of Mordor and actually really good? Is this an accurate description of the game, because if so I just might burn a bit of my paycheck to play this.

This actually is accurate. Keep in mind though that it shares some of those games flaws too however in that it gets repetitive, etc. But if you like that kind of game in general you will love this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

wit posted:

There seemed something a little off about him, yeah. I was just wondering if that was a subtle joke about how people don't really remember pre-apocalypse (has a picture of a dog and has food inside, therefore dogs are called dinki-di and that must be what they put in the cans) or maybe I'm filling in gaps myself.

He's eccentric because Mad Max has an eccentric "buddy" in each movie at some point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

I mostly really like this game, but man, I hate the way checkpointing is set up when you're not invading an outpost or doing a story mission. Just drop me back near where I was if I gently caress up and die while doing side stuff, don't kick me all the way back to the last stronghold I was at, gently caress...

The checkpoint system is so horrible in this game because it makes me never experiment or play around like the game supposedly wants me to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mylan posted:

How old is Max supposed to be? He's old enough to have had a wife and kid before the apocalypse, yet everyone, even the people who look older than him, talk and act like the wasteland is the only life they've ever known. I get that no one, including Max, is really sane anymore, but still seems weird.

I never got this vibe from the movies. Gyro Captain, Auntie Entity, etc. all talk about the past. In Fury Road the characters that are older than Max are all brutal despots and hucksters whose agendas aren't served by public reminiscence.

The running joke of course has always been that just the patch of Australia Max drives into past the skull/crossbones sign in MM1 is crazy and where everything takes place and the rest of the world made a full recovery and is totally normal.

• Locked thread