Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The following suggestion is correct, and you all know it.

In this game, when you use the inevitable nitrous button, all it does is crank the gamespeed by 20% and make badguys slow down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I might console this, definately feels like the kind of big, long game that warrants couch.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Hakkesshu posted:

Well there's just the one car, and although you can modify it, you probably can't strap a giant set of speakers and a guitar guy to it so gently caress that

Naw, you can drive any of the vehicles, it's just you have your own beast (It sounds like Chum follows you around in it when you board another vehicle which is a good idea)

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
My only worry is that the trailer footage makes it seems like cars evaporate into a firey spray of fuel when you shunt them, where mad max always shows fairly sensible car damage. Like, theres one shot where max pulls out the sawnoff and blows a car to pieces and that's not what I'm looking for here, I want the car to blow to pieces because I shunted it into his pal who was coming the other way.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The game looks fun but the script and acting look dire. Max and his love interest seems particularly out of character to me, like, the impression I get is max wouldn't even have much interest with where he generally is headwise?

What the gently caress ever though, it's a day one purchase for apocalyptic cars alone so bring it on

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
That looks great. Icehancer on the pc version if they don't do anything else with it.

I hope the music gets livelier for final. Furry road had a phenomenal ost

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
He's actually called chumbucket, these guys are wrong but whatever, it's interesting

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I want to see what the input lag times are like. Part of the reason jc2 on console felt bad for driving is that the controller latency was enormous. On pc it was much better

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I really still hope nitro makes everyone around you slower and for time to speed up so it just looks like you are fast.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
My only issue with this game is being the aggressor so much. Like, the icon max image to me is him heading away from bandits at high speed, not straight at them.

There's a wonderful excitement to a good pursuit, and I'd like to see it more here.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

wyoak posted:

The bases are dumb and hand to hand combat is kind of a chore at this point. It's just a flat out worse version of 3 year old games and doesn't really present a challenge beyond making sure you can see everyone who might be attacking you. I'm not sure why they gave some bases 'secret' entrances when you still have to run around and fight everyone.

Driving is still pretty cool though.

It's a weird game; there's obviously alot of care put into a whole bunch of it and there are all sorts of cool little touches. It's really pretty and the in-vehicle stuff is well done, but you do pretty much everything gameplay-wise in the first 30 minutes and the busy work doesn't give seem to give any rewards that make it worthwhile beyond soothing the OCD part of my brain.

Largely agreed, though this is all kind of OK by me? There are some hidden depths to the car combat once you get a little further in and it gets harder, but yeah, in terms of mechanical gameplay it's pretty flat, and it lives entirely on it's theme and how that theme is presented. It's fun to have a big crunchy car fight and explore a place and the fighting is at least satisfying viscerally, but there's not a whole lot of actual game under the hood. I'm enjoying a lot it despite that. It's a pleasing loop, but I'm also a massive obsessive of crunchy apocalyptic cars and bandit ridden hellscapes, and on that front the game delivers.

I entirely understand the spread of reviews it's getting, basically.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Anyone else think the game isn't so good after you're like, a third to a half of the way through? Maybe I've grabbed too much loot and cleared too many side bits, but I'm horribly overpowered with all this shotgun ammo and mega harpoon, fights are trivial to the point I am avoiding using all my cool powers to drag them out a bit. The danger has gone :(

Chum and max seem like way too good shots to me. I'd probably like to see a system where you hold the opus steady for a few seconds next to target while chum lines it up and a reticle locks on, rather than the instant weak point sniping we get.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Glory is meant to be the kid from fury road,in as much as this series does canon. The kid in FR is credited as "Glory the child".

This outright contradicts the comic but whatever, pick a backstop you like.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Ledenko posted:

I can sort of understand it - I don't think this is an overly enjoyable game if you're not a fan of the setting. It seems to be a car game mostly to drive you from one point where you do fisticuffs to another where you do the same without much variation. Boss fights are all pretty much the same. There are hundreds of locations with tiny amounts of scrap and are not particularly interesting. There aren't that many quests with meaningful interaction, seems like there's only extra padding (gotta upgrade your car to do something which means tasks like clearing an area) to make it longer.
There's probably other stuff - but I've had an amazing time with the game, put like 30 hours into it the first two days of getting it. I'm having some trouble explaining what made it so much fun, the answer is probably the atmosphere because some of the gameplay elements lack that something extra to make it really shine.

This is it though, this isn't a great game under the hood, the only standout bit is the car combat and that's undercut by the fact of how repetitive and easy it is - you need to actively avoid just ending fights instantly with your crazy op tools. The rest is.. OK? Combat is OK, etc.

The game excels in its theme and it's presentation though, you might be doing a small set of things and theres no real depth or skill involved but it's going to make them look and feel great, it's got flair to it.

On the other hand, outside of chum the character stuff is flat and dull, the story is bleh.

Back to positives though, the wasteland is great with cool places to see and some nice environmental storytelling.

But... yeah, depending on where your interests lie I can totally see people not liking this game. Most of the reviews seem pretty fair to me.

SplitSoul posted:

It's 24Hz, 50Hz and 60Hz for me. It reverts no matter what.

Do you enter the actual Hz or is it divided in levels like 0, 1, 2, 3, and so on? It reverts to 0. Gonna try read-only and report back.

Mine's a HD7850, so it can't be limited to one brand.

I get this, but according to my fps counter in game, it's a lie

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 12, 2015

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Ilustforponydeath posted:

And what an excellent mannequin he portrays.
"I'd talk, but I'm not charlize theron, therefore I should just leave the acting to her"

Garbage movie desperately cashing in on internet poster sentiments.

Are you a human being?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Any idea why I can't move the screenshot camera more than a few feet from the car now? Have I hit something I cant turn off?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Just a question about how to proceed with the game

Is it a good idea to get the V8 and then do all the wasteland stuff I missed? I hear thats pretty near the end. Is the plot so urgent at that point that it will feel wrong to go off and do everyone elses wasteland missions at that point?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
See, that's annoying, because I wanted to gently caress around upgrading the V8

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
this patch broke something, I'm not getting scrap crew rewards anymore.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The shotgun sound effect is incredible. It's an affront to god.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Powershift posted:

but if the bodies are bright yellow you can interact with them!

No, it's just terrible. it feels like a mobile phone game. the cars bounce in weird ways, and it's nearly imposible to get your car upside down, if anything other than your wheels touch the ground the car bounces in stupid ways. it doesn't feel or look natural. in GTA if you launch at a janky angle and your front corner hits, it digs in and the car rolls as it actually would. here the car just bounces down the hill bouncing off that corner.

Crazy talk. The three rolling here is Pretty natural, up until the car hits a certain angle where it gets aggressively pushed back. This is good and deliberate and necessary, because unlike in gta you are frequently off road, and most of the jumps you hit are natural and you're getting heavily sideswipe constantly. You would spend more time on your roof of rolling if the car wasn't roll limited.

The gta handling mechanics from 5 would be fine, but what we have here is fine.

I could stand to see the rear end step out a little more and gta does that, but at the same time the drift happy squirrel handling is prone to spinning out on an impact and that wouldn't be fun in this game.

Clearly the best game to borrow driving mechanics from is driver San Francisco.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Also there's nothing to say the apocalypse was instant. Things were very bad even in mm1 despite a functioning government. It's entirely possible that other parts of Australia were even further gone, with early 20s max one of the last cops in the country.

I'm pretty sure there's a "badlands do not enter" sign you can see to support that argument.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Capn Beeb posted:

"OP" item in a single player game. :lol:

<This is from pages ago now, but since I wrote it up (before forgetting about it overnight) then I'm drat sure I'm going to post it. Beeb is laughing about someone calling the maxed out shotgun OP>

I think this is a reasonable argument. Maybe OP is the wrong term, but I would say the difficulty is occasionally poorly judged in this game, particularly with regard to evoking the kind of action as seen in the films. I can happily slaughter most things I come across with my enormous stash of thunderpoons and enormous death shotgun.

This feels neither thematically appropriate or even exciting in raw gameplay terms and it doesn't encourage you to engage with the combat systems, and thats really the primary meaning of "balance" in this context. If theres a variety of fun things in a game you want to nudge people towards giving them all a go, and I'd say here the heart of the combat is shunting stuff, which is frequently skippable for spamming a rocket launcher.

A little tension goes a long way, hard choices are generally good for gameplay, and wondering "drat, can I spare a shotgun shell right now?" would benefit the game and the theme. As it stands right now? Yes, you can. BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM.

It renders the game a bit flatter in my eyes that it could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Black Griffon posted:

I don't regret playing the game at all, and in a way, it was a unique experience in that my state of mind were mirrored by the emptiness and pointlessness of the game, both in terms of story (in a positive way) and gameplay (in a negative way, I want more mission, more actual unique gameplay). All the noise, all the brutality of the fighting, all the murder and blood and poo poo meant nothing. Just stimuli to keep me going because I needed something to do.

loving weird, but worth it. It's an amazing game in many ways, and in many ways it's very weak. But at the end of the day, it's good.

What up, other me.

• Locked thread