Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

New Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEXzAXBtl5k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It looks exactly that way to me. I wanted to see if anyone else noticed it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think they redid it, didn't they? Early gameplay trailers/footage had an American voice, people complained, and so they changed it. Or am I misremembering?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Might get repetitive after a while, but what I've seen so far looks really fun. I know absolutely nothing about Avalanche, though. How has their open-world stuff been so far?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Apparently you can drink your own piss in this game, which may well make it the greatest game that ever was or ever will be

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Huh... I had not heard that about the plot of the game. In the film, The plains of silence are the endless dunes they are about to set off into on the bikes.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Those were the Salt Flats, aka what used to be the Pacific Ocean before poo poo got hosed real bad.

They'd have to be. Max is crazy but he isn't an idiot, he'd know you can't drive for 5 months in one direction anywhere in Australia without hitting the sea. So the only explanation is that WAS the sea.

Plains of Silence was mentioned in Fury Road though, one of the wives said people still watch TV there.

The scene where they see the satellite, and one of the wives asks if anyone is still out there doing shows, the vuvalini says "Who knows? Those are the plains of silence."

This is the night they've stopped the war rig right before the salt flats, on a dune overlooking the flats. Immediately after that scene Furiosa talks to Max about leaving the rigs and taking the bikes across the salt flats. Plains of Silence and salt flats are the same thing (what used to be the ocean)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Not to be a party pooper, because incineration looks fun, but is blowing people up with those gas cans kind of a waste of fuel? I guess I was thinking fuel for your car would be really scarce out there.

Has anyone run out of gas out in the middle of nowhere yet? If so, what did you do?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Have you seen what these people, are driving? Fuel conversation isn't something they seem to care about at all.

The world is dead. You'll be dead tomorrow as likely as not. Why not burn brightly?

Haha ok then!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I guess what I was asking was, is it possible to run your car out of gas out in the middle of nowhere? And if you do, must you hoof it for miles to find more, or does the game whip up an electrical storm to kill you.... ?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

You can fast travel back to base I guess? I'm not sure what happens if you run out of gas before you have a base to fast travel to, but I think at that point you're locked into a pretty small-ish area so the walk wouldn't too grueling (it'd still be awful though).

I'll pass it down the line!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Another dumb question: can I use my x360 controller with my PC on this game? I know it has X1 support but at some point they decided not to release on x360 and PS3, so I am just wondering if my controller will work.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It is difficult to believe that the game unlocked just two nights ago and now we've got a couple hundred posts where people argue about review scores and the reviewing system, as well as the nature of open-world gaming in general, and even encourage one another to kill themselves based on their opinions in this thread. I mean, are you loving kidding me?

Just play it and enjoy it. It's quite fun. Or don't. The game accomplishes what it set out to accomplish. If it's not your thing there are other choices out there.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What I want to know is why I can drive my patchwork beater-car straight through another car of similar size and have that car explode into fragments and scrap, and I can just keep cruising along with no vehicle damage or missing limbs or burns. And do this repeatedly.

What happened to realism, Avalanche? 1.5/10.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

As much as I'd like this to happen, I found a relic in the wasteland that strongly hints that there are no bike in the mad max -the videogame- world. But maybe it's just a joke from the developers regarding the current state of the game.

Go on!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Guys, how do you use the shiv? It says when someone is stunned you can knife him, and I haven't been able to pick up any more shivs because it says my ammo belt is full. But I have yet to figure out how to use them. Along the same lines, I added some melee combat skills like shoulder ram, but I haven't figured those out either. I am a dumb.

I am using an x360 controller on PC.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I got the threat level in Jeet's area down to 2, didn't do the minefields. Got several upgrades and moved on to Gutgash's place. I opened the Jaw, and not long after talked to the red-haired lady in Gutgash's cell who told me about a war rig in the tunnels.

I looked on the map, and it was WAY the gently caress up by Gastown. Lots of uncleared area in between my location and there. I thought better of it but went anyway, and along the way was accosted by several vehicles that I guess were extremely heavily armored, and I did little or no damage to any of them unless I used the thunderpoon. But I had few warheads for the thunderpoon. The only way I was able to go on was to park the car in a place where they couldn't really circle around and try to run me over. They got out of their vehicles and I killed them all hand-to-hand.

Then I got into the tunnels and got my rear end totally handed to me by the buzzards in there. After respawning twice outside the tunnel, this time I decided gently caress the tunnels and went straight to Pinkeye's place, but when I arrived there was a shipping container and some rocks blocking the way to the front door. I guess I really jumped the gun here, and should know my place for the moment, stay down South clearing Gutgash territory and slowly working my way North?

Are you guys putting armor on your cars? I haven't yet because I didn't want to slow mine down, but I guess I have to, huh. Also, how do you deal with the heavily-armored cars you find up North? I felt like Max in the movie, just getting run down by a pack of assholes with no apparent way to damage them by ramming and sideswiping (aside from my limited thunderpoon ammo)

I'm not complaining about any of this, having a great time with the game. Guess I just got a little too big for my britches.

e: also, where are your in-game screenshots saved?

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 8, 2015

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

T1g4h posted:

I'm running level 4 Armor and level 4 ramming grill on mine, which weighs it down significantly but gives it one hell of a punch when I get a good run on an enemy car. With enough speed it's entirely possible to knock Level 1 and 2 armor off enemy cars with one good hit. Downside is, even with a Level 2 V8 it's still fairly slow getting up to speed from a dead stop. Once you upgrade your ammo belt a bit you'll find you have more Thunderpoon ammo than you know what to do with. I think i've got something like 15 Thunderpoon caps, for example.

Also, despite what the game says, armor and grinding wheels don't really help counter enemy grinders that much. Even with maxed out grinding wheels and the level 4 armor, those fuckers will still shred my health in a matter of seconds if I let them get close. Make those things your #1 priority because they are insanely good at getting up next to you and wrecking your poo poo.

Screenshots should be in My Documents -> Steam Screenshots if you have Steam set to save an uncompressed copy. If not, you should be able to click "View Screenshot library" in Steam, find the screenshots in the little window that pops up, then click View on disk and it'll take you to where it's located.

Thank you for your help! I was wondering about the grinding, I'll stop putting points into that.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Also, they honk really loudly and noticeably when they're preparing to run you down. They're like the opposite of stealthy.

Convoys are a one and done deal. Once you clear out the routes they're gone for good. I really want a respawning convoys mod :allears:

As far as playing after you've finished the game, I understand there are no more convoys, but are there still those random 1-2 car patrols that pop here and there? Or do you just cruise around anywhere you want with impunity?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I've been wanting to get the side burners for a while, but based on what I've seen in the last couple of pages it sounds like it might not be worth it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I really dig the storms, even though I have had absolutely zero luck in them. I never knew you were meant to chase down scrap in them until I saw you guys talking about it in this thread.

The first piece of scrap I managed to harpoon, I dragged over to the rusted carcass of a boat and pinned between the boat and my car. Car had been struck by lightening numerous times and was about dead, so I bailed to let Chum fix it, and hid in a safe place on the other side of the boat wreckage. When the storm ended, my car had been rotated about 90 degrees by the wind and the scrap was gone.

Next I read ITT someone say you can go out and shotgun the crate and grab the scrap immediately, rather than waiting the storm out. I've tried this twice but gotten struck by lightning both times I got out of the car to do it!

Another time I was madly chasing a box of scrap and drove straight off the side of a cliff due to zero visibility. Good times.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The War Criers all sound exactly like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

OK, this gastown race is loving stupid.

I'm running with the lightest armor, no ramming bar, v6 and exhaust is modded up as high as it will go. I do not have the fourth thunderpoon upgrade though. How did you guys get through this?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thanks for your help, all. I'll mod my car and try again..

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I swear I'm not some doofus who doesn't know how to play games, but man I probably ran that loving gastown race over 30 times using different car configurations etc. before I finally got him. What was so easy for everyone else became a horrible ordeal that basically resulted in putting the game down for several days.

What was happening to me was after a bit of damage the handling on the car would degrade to the point where I could not stop putting it into the wall and little outcroppings that are all over the place. Add to that the buggies were spinning me out and banging me all to hell constantly.

When I fired the last thunderpoon that destroyed his car, I was already on fire and probably one more bump from one of the enemy buggies would have finished me off.

Anyway, the rest of the game is shaping up to be pretty cool.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If it lands on its roof, is it just stuck like that?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

For what it's worth, this game was really trouble-free from launch up until this last patch. Which is kinda unusual these days.

Now we just have to wait for a patch to fix the patch.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

And after all that it doesn't even sound as cool as the V6.

I agree with this.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Did they ever patch the patch that broke the map and the stuttering people have talked about in here? I quit playing the game because I got really busy with work, then never started again once I read the comments ITT about the last patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

One thing everyone was saying was to not destroy too many of the convoys. They don't respawn.

• Locked thread