Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Looks kind of like Borderlands, is Gearbox aware that someone is ripping off their signature style and game?

You could at least put forth some effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

Knowing that this game is in the hands of Avalanche gives me a lot of optimism. Their recent video on Just Cause 3 basically was developers saying "we just want to make stupid grandiose fun" and if that's applied to Mad Max it's going to be great. Just Cause 2 was all about "let me destroy everything and crash into everywhere"

It turns out the main/JC2 team is working on Mad Max while JC3 is a secondary team within Avalanche. Whether that's ultimately important will have to be seen.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

I guess it also should be said that Warner Bros studios is bringing over their "arkham combat" to this game, too. Some people I guess can't stand that poo poo but I'd be cool with a heavier, even more brutal version of that.

It'd be hilarious if Mad Max was also once a Batman game like SoM.

Orv
May 4, 2011
At least we would have been free of hair physics for once. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
...What spoilers?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sleeveless I know you're not very bright but those are from 2.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gaijin has proven they have the chops to make a fun, if not particularly well balanced game. I'll be interested to see where it ends up at least.

Orv
May 4, 2011
And given the locale for this game, if those requirements scare you, JC3 will probably be higher.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Watched the Gamescom video; Shadow of Mordor with cars seems like a great idea on the surface, but the Nemesis system was so central to SoM being more than just a bad Batman knock-off that I don't know if it'll pan out after more than a few hours.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

I didn't mind the Riddle Informants in Arkham City. Were there many changes to them in Arkham Knight?

They were in cars that you had to blow up just enough for them to get out but not die, as well as usually being packed in with a few other goons that you had to knock out, without being able to knock out the informant.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

You can't wait one day? I would think that if you were interested in the PC version you would get that to begin with.

That said it's a WB game and their ports have been noooooooooooooooooot good, though they've also caught so much flack for it they probably can't afford for this port to be poo poo as well. Who knows, it's a crapshoot, get the game on the system you want and probably be more concerned about whether or not it's a good game than having to wait one extra day.

If Avalanche is in fact doing it themselves it should be more than fine. You can run JC2 on a crock pot.

Orv
May 4, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

I suspect the minimum and recommended specs are ludicrously overstated, kinda feel like that's happened with a bunch of games recently. Also Batman, which obviously completely shat the bed for a significant amount of people who should have met the requirements.

Let us fondly remember the absurd requirements for Shadow of Mordor, perhaps the best optimized PC game in recent years.

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 | AMD Radeon HD 7950
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 40 GB available space

Not that that's proof against this port, but that's also a WB game that wasn't handed off to some other assholes.

Orv
May 4, 2011
As though that hasn't been lied about repeatedly before. Eh it'll probably be fine.

Orv
May 4, 2011

BexGu posted:

I wonder if SweetFx will be able to make the game look more like the movie?

In one of the rare instances of SweetFX not being atrociously ugly, it should be able to.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The fact that they're doing another media blitz this far out like they did with SoM hopefully means they're pretty happy with the quality.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The drabness is a health filter from what those two recent videos showed, it's way more vibrant at full health.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Is this set before the movie? Maybe the game's why he knows that it's worthless to cross the plains in the movie.

It doesn't have any direct connection to any of the movies. They've said there's plenty of references to them, but it's more of a Stories of Conan sort of thing than any direct movie involvement.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's Steam, and the race leaderboards will likely use the WB account you made for one of the Arkham games.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Speedball posted:

So it looks like your car never actually explodes and can always be repaired. That's different to most games, except maybe like, Arkham Knight or something; lots of games like this, you just grab whatever car you can. Think I even saw a bit where he expended some scrap to have Chumbucket repair it while it was still rolling.

So when you car runs out of health a timer pops up, five seconds, you get out of the car or you die. It does explode in that situation. If you get out of the car in time, Chumbucket will start repairing it for no scrap cost while it sits still. You also have the Quick Repair option, which scales in scrap cost with damage amount, which like you said can be used while moving. Stuff can prevent you from getting out of the car, like getting rammed by enemy cars or having sufficient momentum when it starts to explode, but otherwise you can pretty much always just get out and repair it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Are there any open world games that don't basically become checklists by the end?

Shadow of Mordor sort of avoids this thanks to the Nemesis system, but even then you're doing stuff like "Well gotta make this warchief afraid of fire, doot de doo *throw*" to get what you want out of the system, so no, not really.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

Are you sure? I know vids only showed first person in car, but my brain tells me I heard someone in one of these streams saying that first person melee combat was indeed a real thing.

As the retard who watched them all; one of the hosts asked, answer was no.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Godmachine posted:

Are there any issues for GMG to give out keys before the release? I've heard some folks waiting for a few hours or even days for their keys from GOG.

GMG gives out keys day of release around 70% of the time. 20% of the time they get them out beforehand for games with preloads and just if you're lucky. The other 10% they gently caress up everything monumentally and there's invalid keys, people don't get keys for days, that kind of stuff.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PowderKeg posted:

Tried it with Shadow of Mordor ages ago, it stuttered way too much, figured it was my old receiver's HDMI ports or something, gave up immediately due to laziness. Revisited this evening and it turns out it might be an AMD crossfire issue for that game (got dual cards). It can be turned off, but it'd be nice if this game is AMD optimized.

Even if it's AMD optimized it won't be Crossfire optimized.

Orv
May 4, 2011
3 days and 2 hours. :smith:

Also really like that song, haven't head that arrangement before.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Mad Max: Sisyphus With Cars

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

I saw some random IGN video saying that the map is limitless and you can just keep driving forever like it's Trackmania or something, but that's gotta be bullshit, right?

If you leave the edge of the play field it'll randomly generate storms and terrain as you drive out. Near as I can tell it's going to be entirely a fatal choice to do so, but there might be some achievement or something for "Survive off map for X minutes". As for how random the random generation is, who knows.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

edit: Although actually, I don't know specifically how it works. To people who might know: Does Steam release games that are midnight releases when it is midnight in your time zone? Or when it's midnight Eastern Time (in Washington, where Valve is)?

Yeah, Steam midnight releases are EST midnight releases, and so that's whatever it is for every other time zone. Their other two release windows are 10AM PST globally and staggered releases which are usually midnight per individual time zone going backwards from the earliest time zone to reach that specific midnight, which is where VPNs come into play.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 30, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A lot of those guys intentionally play like idiots because it attracts more viewers (because they want to see the idiot and yell at him for being an idiot).

At least, this is what I like to tell myself.

Nope.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's cosmic law that anyone streaming a game before release is a monumental retard that can't follow the most obvious clues. There's no way all of them are running the same scam, especially since 95% of the time it's some nobody who got the street date broken, and their streams last for minutes or hours at most.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Leave me some faith in humanity.

Nope.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, your poo poo taste in video games does enough damage to my faith in humanity, so why not. ;)

No-one gets to talk poo poo about my taste in games after the last eight months of the Steam thread.

Also I was First Prophet for SoM so get fuuuuucked.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 30, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

On the other hand, we were both on the Watch_Dogs train :smith:

But holy hell is this the single longest weekend I've ever experienced.

Woah buddy, I was in like, coach at best for Watch Dogs. Mods please change thread name to Orv's Game Opinion Beligerancy Wasteland.

I'm passing the weekend by drinking heavily, staying up way too long and then waking up at like 8PM.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

So does the steam pre-load unlock at midnight, or sometime later on in the day tomorrow?

*ed*

oh durr, tomorrow is Monday not tues, but same question 1 day forward.

Midnight EST 1st, 9PM PST 31st, extrapolate as necessary.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I thought steam users get it a day early (i.e. August 31st or midnight tonight).

Game unlocks in 1 day and 1 hour.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

The next game needs gyrocopters and flamethrower tankers(if those aren't already in this one)

Are there any multiplayer games that are set in a Mad Max-esque setting? Car combat and makeshift weapons are a must.

There was a game a couple years ago called Ravaged that was basically Mad Max Battlefield 2. It was bad and died quicker than almost any indie MP title I've ever seen unfortunately.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Logged into a Germany VPN, started Steam, started download, unplugged the VPN, downloading at my own speed. :frogc00l:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Capn Beeb posted:

Is it kosher to ask someone to walk me through using a VPN? Never done it before and I'm an impatient dork.

Turn off Steam. Then go here, download the topmost zip. Unpack that, install the client, start the program. If it asks you to create a network adapter let it do so, if not there'll be an option to do so. Once it's created, open the VPN Gate Public VPN Relay Servers option, accept the two windows and select one of the Germany servers. If one won't connect use the other. Once connected, restart Steam, go to Mad Max and decrypt it. From there until the game launches wherever you are you'll need to be connected to the VPN in order to see Play instead of Preload, but you can play to your hearts content.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

Is there a step missing? I did all that and Steam still won't decrypt.

Nope, seems like some people are having problems with it this time around, no discernible reason.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

Yup, IPchicken reports the same as VPN gate. Hell, Google is reporting results in German, too. Maybe a PC reboot will help.

Friend fixed it by changing his password so that Steam on his phone couldn't log in, because the mobile app keeps reporting even with the phone off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Why does it matter that much to you? They'll have their own opinions soon enough, little else to do this close to release.

• Locked thread