Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Still would have liked Donal Gibson in the game somewhere, but at least they finally have a drat release date. This Max sound a little too young to be intimidating, however, I likely won't give a poo poo between the road rage and the screams being louder than him. Quiet protags sort of worked for Wolfenstein The New Order/Old Blood, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Hakkesshu posted:

BJ Blazkowicz is anything but a quiet protagonist in The New Order at least.

Oh yeah he talked, I just couldn't hear him in TNO when he was whispering to himself like he was in Dune.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'll gladly get Mad Max new and wait on Phantom Pain because gently caress giving only Konami money for it. I'm just a worried if they're a little too quiet about the game now that we're a month and three days away from release and to know when that loving steam version is gonna hit. Or rather, how bad it will hit PC because this is WB. :bang:

I'm looking forward to see if I can lead enemies into the storm.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 29, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TescoBag posted:

WB has such a patchy history with ports it seems although i've had no problem with them so far. I have my fingers crossed.

While it isn't fair to push a potential WB PC port curse on Avalanche Studios (Jesus, it literally is Just Cause 3's twin. Even this version of Max and Rico look almost identical sans the ripped clothing and grappling hook.) I'm gonna play this one safe and likely go PS4. If it doesn't show itself to be another Arkham Knight or if WB just delays the PC release anyway, I can snag it again later on a steam sale. I'm definitely hoping someone can mod in at least the wingsuit from JC3 into MM on the dumb hope I can slightly control how I fly around in the storm.

Blind Sally posted:

Argh. I forget which interview/video it was, but yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a tactic you can do to shake off a war party tailing you.

Good, I hope I can get a really long chain of pursuers on me that can be devoured by it just so I can either get their loot because they followed me or just bail out and watch them get shredded in the wind.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I really hope chumbucket will be this game's sully/Alfred but with an almost an erotic/religious fixation with car engines. If he's going to be around max the most, he needs to have a good dynamic with him or at least provide the kind of chatter I'd like to hear from some wasteland friendly crazy.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
And now Mad Max and its system requirements are quietly added into the storefront with little notice or fanfare. Here's to hoping nothing goes too wrong with the PC version.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Its possible it could have Denuvo, but I don't think Avalanche is stupid enough to use that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Not the worst way to mix up climbing the radio tower to scout the horizon. Combat doesn't look too bad if they have a few more toys like the explosive spears.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

VolticSurge posted:

Well,well-color me impressed! Other than the pop-in,game actually looks really good. Dunno why they seemed so afraid of showing actual gameplay until now.

Again they probably got shafted by WB's shift into complete damage control over Arkham Knight. The material's there and they probably have enough commercials in place to advertise their game, but the blitz that could have been was probably hosed over by WB rushing to fix AK's PC version as Batman is the bigger video game franchise right now.

But maybe that was for the best as thankfully there isn't so much preorder DLC that you need a list to figure out what you get if you get it full price.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 8, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
If Scrotus and the Wasteland itself are worthy enemies than we won't really need a nemesis system. It's probably more fair to say its Just Cause but with resource management than outright Batman or Mordor. Nemesis was basically just a filler that didn't mean poo poo if you were good enough kill any Orc you went up against. If the game's fun enough in loving around and exploring, the story can just be building up your car until you're ready to murder Scrotus.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TescoBag posted:

You take that back! The nemesis system is fantastic and needs to be in literally every game

I'm sorry, but I was just too good at Mordor to feel the the Nemesis system was worth it. For me I just kept killing the same 3-5 orcs who would keep coming back no matter how many times I kill them and usually without any difficulty in doing so, even before I unlocked branding. The only time I actually saw how it could change was when I forced myself to die just to get Rise and Fall.

Maybe if the combat was different or they beefed it up, the system could be good.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like there's a Live Stream of the game right now.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 13, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TescoBag posted:

Is there no way to view this stream? Does twitch record them?

Sorry dude, no idea yet if they put that on a YouTube or anything, but hopefully someone either finds a recording or they do another stream.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The Shiv special that triggers after a decent combo number builds up isn't a instant finisher, its just a harder hitting attack that you can pull of on an enemy like Batman only you likely need to craft them to use it. There could be other moves to unlock and weapons to find, but usually running enemies over or shotgunning them in the face seems to be the best ways to trigger instant gratification.

They also showed off using or ambushing other vehicles like Scrapmobiles that if you take out without exploding them, you can drive the car to a garage and earn a poo poo load of scrap. Tiers of enemies exist within Scrotus's Army whose vehicles can still be used as basic disguises to infiltrate enemy camps or stealth-fully approach sniper nests and other towers before you ram them into scrap without drawing too much attention. But I don't know if that will ramp up in certain areas like you need the car of a War Boy and not some meat bug or whatever the weaker enemies are called.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

ShootaBoy posted:

I found part of today's stream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4BUB-pUGrM

There was another 45-ish minutes but this is most of it.

Funny enough that starts exactly when I stumbled onto the stream when I saw the playstation twitch account hosting it. Hopefully the earlier part of it gets uncovered as I'd like to see if I missed any details about shivs or whatnot.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The Mad Max PC port is releasing one day ahead of the console version? poo poo, do I cancel the console version to go for steam or what?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Hakkesshu posted:

You can't wait one day? I would think that if you were interested in the PC version you would get that to begin with.

That said it's a WB game and their ports have been noooooooooooooooooot good, though they've also caught so much flack for it they probably can't afford for this port to be poo poo as well. Who knows, it's a crapshoot, get the game on the system you want and probably be more concerned about whether or not it's a good game than having to wait one extra day.

I thought console was the only thing they'd release for a while until PC eventually hit, but like anything else involving this game, it hits me completely by surprise. :shrug:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Hopefully that means you can trigger the storm somehow as it was in the same siege of Pinkeye's compound event that didn't have the storm around it. Also the harpoon can be used to tear down buildings or even as a way to slingshot your car and its killer rims right through an enemy vehicle. This is a true Avalanche game in that it rewards you for creatively using every tool in your arsenal.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Is GMG a good site to use in the off chance there some awful region locking nonsense with Steam?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
They really should have cut out the 10 minutes of waiting on that video, but better quality than the pieces of the twitch stream.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Steam's saying August 31st, but both can be technically correct if this is midnight release.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Fat Samurai posted:

Doesn't Max get better equipment as the game goes on? I remember it from somewhere.

Some are unlocked by leveling up your legend and then having enough scrap for it, other parts like enemy car hood ornaments are unlocked by either destroying their cars or hopefully bringing some back and scraping them at a base if that's possible.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Another Stream in 3 minutes.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TotalHell posted:

Excellent. PC build, re-affirms that it was all done in-house. Dude's currently has all upgrades, and is attacking a high-level camp, and he's still getting into trouble and getting messed up. Nice to know the challenge can go throughout the entire game.

Well he is is a dev and many are known to not be the best at their own games, so it's more like fully upgraded or not, the skill of the driver is what counts.

And there might also be some unfortunate truth to the PC requirements if running at the highest of ultra setting melts even the dev's pc.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Inzombiac posted:

Aside from this thread, no one I knew was talking about this game. Suddenly last night all my friends are CHOO CHOO HYPE TRAIN.

It's hilarious and I love it.

Max is a beautiful Dark Horse and it's gonna be great watching some people that spoiled themselves to Phantom Pain hopefully picking this game up.

Spoiler: poo poo will explode and people will die. You can't ruin Max.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like my first time using GMG didn't gently caress me and the preload size doesn't even look that big. I keep forgeting that Avalanche isn't a part of SE and will not put 30 gigs of compressed cutscenes in this game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Look, war boys won't be saved until you find something bigger than a Chainsaw spear to kill Scrotus with, but that Dog's scared and wounded.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

JFC posted:

Got my GMG code. Preloaded Mad Max on Steam.

Now waiting. :(

It's gonna unlock at midnight of the 31st. It's just a weekend away, man.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

CJacobs posted:

It's a midnight release, and Steam doesn't know how to parse those , so it says the 31st for everybody even though it'll be the 1st for most of the world when it comes out. Because time zones. Just look on the Steam store page to see how long it has left for you and then do the math.

edit: Although actually, I don't know specifically how it works. To people who might know: Does Steam release games that are midnight releases when it is midnight in your time zone? Or when it's midnight Eastern Time (in Washington, where Valve is)?

It'll probably be East coast Midnight.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'd rather just play a game about explosions and killing than get into Konami microtransactions or tacked on dark souls invasions.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I like how the character profiles have a little quote the character says, really spruces up the usual Batman profile gallery that's really only useful for audio logs.

Rama of Ra posted:

Not enough bullets in the Wasteland for all those headshots.

A John Wick game could be good. Not really anything to do with the movie, just poo poo from his life. Seems like some good potential there. Bonus points for the game somehow penalizing you if you don't finish every opponent with a headshot.

Wick already exists in a game, but they're going work with Starbreeze to make a VR game with Wick while the sequel/prequel film is in production.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
That said, if they did it right I wouldn't mind some Immortan Joe DLC.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder how the sequel game will work now that Fury Road was successful enough to make Mad Max: The Wasteland happen. Will it try to incorporate Furosa into the game's world or make the game's world more like the new films?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Crappy Jack posted:

If they're smart, they'll do none of this, considering how the Mad Max franchise is blatantly set outside of any sort of timeline. Personally I feel like they did the right thing by doing their own thing, but the fact that it's got a son of Immortan Joe and Gastown makes me roll my eyes a bit.

Just because there's no timeline doesn't mean Mad Max doesn't have recursive elements, particularly if they're popular enough. And just because that's how it works for the movies shouldn't mean that the games have to work exactly the same way. You yourself said you'd pay "a disgusting amount of money for Furosa".

I'm not asking for a retelling or specific canon between the two, I'm just wondering if they'll try to bring more of the popular elements in future games, and particularly just Furosa herself depending on how the next movie goes.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

CJacobs posted:

The developers have stated, multiple times, that nothing like this will be in the game- with the exception of the main villain and where the game takes place. This comes up like seriously every 3 pages in this thread. In future games, who knows.

Yeah, all I'm asking is how this could play out in the future now that George Miller is ecstatic that people like Fury Road and that Avalanche aren't just working in conjunction with a very good film, but everyone has seen it several times. I know this MAD MAX game will only have familiar locations and some third son of Joe. But any sequel video game, which will likely occur even if Mad Max forever sits in the shadow of Phantom Pain, is gonna have people hungry for what was cool in Fury Road as well as new things. I'm afraid Fury Road will be a victim of its own success when people will probably want even more of possibly the only successful female character in apocalyptic fiction that isn't someone's arm candy.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Sure, but can any of us really remember her name or what she did? Maybe I'm just talking out of my rear end because I saw the movie again and I'm 7 hours away from playing Mad Max on PC, but I think we have a Red Sonja situation here where even if the title still says Conan the Barbarian, you've created a character strong enough to have her own stories, film or video game.

Maybe I'm just overestimating how popular Furosa really is in by next year.

EDIT:

Male Man posted:

I'm pretty sure she was credited as "Warrior Woman".

So she wasn't really a character and just someone that stood around, growled at Max and then died on the convoy?

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 31, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
How will you know if its unpacking or not?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I think I found out why the steam page for the game's a little wonky right now. Its loving weird seeing cool big budget films on steam now.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

tehsid posted:

I can't see that in AU. What is it?

Bugs out for me too so I guess its not all up there, but somehow every Mad Max film is now on steam. Outside of Fury Road, the older ones seem to be tied to expensive package deals, but if you want max, you got it.

Oh gently caress, its decrypting!

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Merrill Grinch posted:

Does Chumbucket sound like the Wizard People, Dear Reader guy to anyone else? Every time he talks I think he's gonna start telling me about siphoning the clarity of mankind's bulbs.

He does reveal to you that you are a bullet wizard and the sniper rifle is your magic wand!

• Locked thread