Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Master of the Monster Lair (alternatively known by its infinitely more boring European name of "Dungeon Maker") is a DS game made by a company called Global A who you may very well have never heard of. They've made no major titles of note. Plus side is, in North America it was published by Atlus in 2008.

The game itself is sorta short, pretty funny at times and has an unfortunate tendency to get overlooked for its pseudo-sequel.

I'unno, I kinda like this one about as much. They're both good for what they are.

...Oh, spoilers? There's only like three things that really "count." Just use tags if you're unsure or if it's actually important that we haven't see yet.

Updates

Floor B01 (Part One)
Floor B01 (Part Two)
Floor B02 (The Hobgoblin Hunt)
Floor B03 (Stuffed Flamesaurus)
Floor B04 (Otter Corps)
Floor B05 (Ironsides)
Floor B06 (Devlin Hunt)
Floor B07 (Sea Charm)
Floor B08 (Attracting The Dragon)
Floor B09 (The Elder Dragon)
Floor B10 (Part One)
Floor B10 (Part Two)

Floor B11 (An... Assassin?)
Floor B12 (The Shogun Wolf)
Floor B13 (A Princess)
Floor B14 (I Am A King)
Floor B15 (Do The Mario)
Floor B16 (Cold Shadow)
Floors B17 & B18 (Bloodmeat)
Floor B19 (The Lord)

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

reserved just in case

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Monsters have been seen in the forest recently, and so the town sent a letter to the Castle requesting soldiers to hunt the monsters down.

The people of South Arc have been waiting in vain, however. No soldiers have been dispatched.

The truth is, monsters have been appearing all over the Kingdom of Krolan recently, and this has been keeping the Kingdom's soldiers more than occupied.

Now that you have graduated from school at the age of 12, it is time for you to find a job.

Unfortunately, you were turned down. Their answer was always the same: "We've already hired too many youths."

Then you considered getting a job in the forest.

There are plenty of jobs to be had here. You might get a job chopping wood for the furniture workshops, or gathering mushrooms, or even hunting.

However...

It happened while you were overlooking the town from a nearby hill, pondering your fate.

You thought you were alone, but all of a sudden, a voice broke the silence.

Hey! You there!
(Wha?! There's nobody here but me...)

I think that's just about enough dry exposition, don't you?

(Pick me up? Did someone fall down? Or am I just hearing things?)
Hey! What's the matter? Are you bad at finding things?! You aren, aren't you!
(Where is he...? Am I just imagining it?)
See those bushes to the right?! Not that way! Right! I said right! Right... here! Don't you see me!?
(It's a talking...)

Shovel is unironically best character

(A talking shovel. Of course...)
Wait, are you the...? That's right. Of course you are. Shall we get started, then?!
(It may be a talking shovel, but it's only speaking nonsense...)
Are you ready to dig some holes!?
Wha...?
That's your job!
(Isn't that YOUR job...?)
Where are the caves?!
The caves are just outside town, but...

(Does it ever stop talking? Someone must have dropped this shovel. I'd better try and find its owner.)
Don't forget to take care of me, too! Polish me with oil until I shine. I want to shine, Buddy! That's your job too!
(What the...?!)
Digging holes all day's a great life, I tell you. Come on, Buddy! Let's start digging holes! And let's keep on doin' it!
(I'd better hurry up and find its owner fast...)

You decided to go to the town square. Maybe the owner of this weird talking shovel is around here, somewhere...

What's that shovel for?
I wouldn't talk to it if I were you. It's hard to get it to shut up once it's started.
Huh? The Mayor's been looking for you. He's found you a job, apparently. Go talk to him and find out what it is!
That's great! I just hope it's not digging holes.

There you are! I've found you a great job!
Thank you, Mr. Mayor.
I sent a letter to the Castle, asking if they had any jobs for a young orphan. Well...
As you know (ugh), the Kingdom has been suffering from a plague of monsters.
The soldiers are hunting them, but they keep coming. You know those Apple Vipers in the forest? The Castle has a plan!
A plan?
This plan requires that we find a shovel that happens to be located near South Arc.
A shovel...?
A talking shovel! Can you believe it!?
I believe it...

Er...?
It's a magic shovel. Anyone who touches it becomes the shovel's partner and must do an incredibly hard job.
Your task is to find this shovel. Someone ELSE will dig the dungeon. Wait...
What's that shovel you've got with you, there?
You're just noticing it now?
Don't tell me it's the talking shovel!

What?!
Hey, Mister!
Huh? Ah, er, um, yes?!
Who're you? Huh?!
Huh?

There can be no doubt about it. This shovel was made to dig dungeons.
That's it, then! Simple, really!
Mr. Shovel, you have the gift of gab. Why not use it to speak sense...?

All it'll take is a dungeon big enough for ten or twenty monsters, and the Apple Vipers will find it irresistible!
This is truly amazing!

This solves the problem of what to do about your job...
It also takes care of my little Apple Viper problem, too.
Don't tell me what you want me to hunt down the Apple Vipers...
I said you'd get a reward for finding the magic shovel, right?
Why don't you take that and use it as seed money to turn those caves just outside of town into a dungeon!
Heh, just think about it! Our town, with its very own dungeon!

Why don't you start out by going over to the caves, and seeing what that shovel can do?
There aren't any monsters in the caves at the moment...
So you'll be able to experiment with your digging without any danger!
Ah, well, okay...

Oh, thank god. We're finally done with one of the longest scenes in this thing.

Stats are nice and easy, so we'll deal with it right now. All very self-explanatory but:

Strength = determines physical damage done.
Speed = determines accuracy and evasion, I think. It has the least immediately obvious effect.
Constitution = determines physical defence of course.
Wisdom = magic attack and defence. Also ailment resistance kind of.

Attack = Strength+Weapon+any other benefits (if applicable)
Defence = Constitution+Armor+Accessory (if applicable)

F/W/L is elemental resistance; Fire/Water/Light respectively. Not gonna be important for a while though.

Magic Shovel MP we'll get to later.

You may notice that there is no EXP here. That is not an oversight.

Before we deal with the whole dungeon thing, we'll go everywhere else. Starting with this kid at the fountain in the square.

She just sells groceries. Which right now is just Spinach and absolutely nothing else.

The red house off to the side is our own home and there's plenty to do in here.

Storage is exactly what it sounds like. Item space is fairly heavily limited, so we'll be putting this to use later. Meal and Rest we'll get to when we can. The various guides are just "this is a list of all the [thing] you have (seen)."

...I will almost assuredly NOT fill all of every one of them. That takes far too long. But now that I've said that I probably will by accident.

We'll be dealing with the mayor a lot, so we'll go see what he has to say pretty frequently. Like right now for example.

Hurry up. Go over to the caves and test your shovel's power. I have to write a letter to the Castle.
Go on, off with you! To the caves!

The next three, especially the Furniture store, err a bit more on the chatty side.

Oh, hello...
I'm Frau, and this guy behind me is Woody, my big brother.
I'd like to speak for our entire family in saying, welcome! Nice to meet you, indeed!
Ah, yes, nice to meet you...

What? You work in caves?
Well, apparently, I'm a Dungeon Digger...
Dungeon... Digger...?
So your job is to turn caves into a dungeon and trick monsters into living there?

Yes, well then! How about this Straw Bed?
Even monsters will sleep like babies in this soft, soft bed! How about it?!
Come on, give it a try! Here, here!
All right...

Only two types of rooms are available right now. The little icon next to the owned/stock will be more relevant later, so don't worry about it until then. Just gonna buy one of each for the time being.

So now we'll check out the Weapons equipment store, since we'll be spending a lot of time there as well.

H-Hello...
(She's so pretty...)
I'm a, umm, Dungeon Digger, I guess...
Really?
I fight monsters...
No kidding.
So could I, um, see some of the, uh, weapons and... armor you have for sale?

What...?
The solders from the Castle bought them all to help with their monster-hunting.
Oh... I didn't...
About all I have left is this knife. You can buy it, if you want to...
Okay.

This is going to be very important later on, but for now we'll just see what she has for sale.

True to her word, the only weapon we can buy right now is a basic Knife. Definitely going to do so, because if not we're going to be unarmed and that is quite not good.

She also has a piece of very bad armor for sale. We're not going to buy this though. It's not worth the cost really.

And last, we have the Magic store. This is an important place to check frequently as well... but most of the time it's not for Magic.

What kind of magic do you have?
Nothing too fancy. Some healing magic... That's about it.
Oh, and I have some magic items!
I gotta be honest with you. I never really wanted to run the Magic Shop, anyway.

You should make sure you're eating right, too. You can increase your HP and MP that way.

Umm... I can make Spinach Salad. That's about it.
Spinach, eh? It's pretty good boiled too, you know.
Boiled?
Yeah, just boil it and add some Dry Fish Flakes on top.
If you need some, you might check with the girl who sells vegetables in the town square. She sells 'em.

Just get used to it now, since every time we get a new ingredient we'll bring it to this guy to get a new recipe.

But this is a magic store and Owen has no really useful spells to start off with. He has one that's kind of useful much, much later.

Heal's going to be a full restore for a long, long time even with our pretty bad Wisdom. Which is pretty nice, I gotta admit.

And like he said, we can head over to the fountain and now buy Dry Fish Flakes. Gonna pick up a couple for later; since we can buy these that's going to help a lot. Sadly, most ingredients are only available as random drops.

Aside from the cave, there's still two small little things to check out.

The gate just gets updated after every major plot beat, which is a term I use incredibly loosely in this case. Point is we won't be back here for quite a while.

The Ruins, on the other hand, we won't be back to after this ever.

It's a wifi thing, and it requires friends knowing someone else with the game to begin with. Then you can run through their dungeon instead. Exciting stuff, I am sure.

All this aside, though, the Caves are quite transparently THE most important area. Because its where that whole pesky gameplay thing is waiting.

What a great cave! It's got character! How refreshing!
What are you talking about...?
Listen, Buddy, we can only work during the day. It's not safe to enter the dungeon at night.
Also, you'll want to leave it alone so that monsters will enter it!
Sounds pretty scary...

Besides, there aren't any monsters in there today! Let's go on in!

I've never been here before! What do we need to do first?
Try facing a wall and pressing the A Button. I'll dig you a nice big hole!

Yeah, so we can't really do much until we dig. This is where the Shovel MP stuff comes into play, since that goes down by 1 everytime we do anything with it. Once it hits 0, we have to leave for the day so it can be refilled.

Normally, going to the right isn't the "best" way to go about things, but we want some space to work with. The ideal way to handle things is to go for the bottom-left corner first but pfffft nah.

Oh, I get it now... So this is how we expand the dungeon!
Yep. As long as I have MP, I'll be able to dig holes!

Now that we've got something to start with, we can put down a room right here.

Despite the image above implying otherwise, I changed my mind and opted for the Feed Barrel instead. Since this room right now is a straight shot from the entrance, it makes more sense; it has the easier enemy selection even if it doesn't give us a small advantage.

On the other hand, immediately afterwards, I changed my mind back and ultimately switched the two. Dungeon designing is haaaaaaard. :v:

We ultimately want to get to the top-right corner of the area, so we'll go north from here and begin to actually set up rooms how we want them for Simple Plans. There's nothing else we can do here on our first day, though, so we'll just leave now and come back later.

They also sent a reward for finding the shovel. Here you go!

Oh, one more thing! How was the shovel's power? Do you think your dungeon-digging will go well?
Keep in mind that all you have to do is a little digging to get the monsters to show up, so be careful.
What kinds of monsters can I expect?

Oh, and a Feed Barrel will attract Pigboars, too! They're those other guys... You know.
Hmph! Those are both used in monster cooking. Fry Crowbats in oil, and you can make Fried Crow!
Pigboars and vegetables will give you Pigboar Stew!
I think young people prefer Fried Crow these days, though. What do you think?
I'm not sure what's good and what's bad...

Fried Crow or Pigboar Stew.
I prefer the stew myself, but maybe other people prefer crunchy and juicy Fried Crow...
(What the heck is he talking about...?)

Well, this does technically give us two new recipes, they're not added "officially" until we finish this minor sidequest first. (Personally speaking, I think the Pigboar is better but we'll get to that when we get to that.)

Speaking of which, we're pretty much done with our first day so we'll just go home and wrap things up now. We could still go shopping, but there's not much of a need to do so right now.

Oh, you're home!

Yeah... Well, why not make him some, I guess?
Will you bring me the ingredients? I need a Crow Leg.
Alright.
That's your job, right? Catching Crowbats?
Well, not really...
Great! Please get it for me. Remember... it's for the Mayor.
Okay.

Okay, NOW we can finally stuff something down Owen's throat. We can only choose between the two we have here right now...

And neither is very good, to be frank. We'll very quickly get ones that outclass both of these, but these are amongst the easiest to make since they basically just cost money.

The MP one is technically better (since Heal costs 3MP), but it really does not matter at the moment. Adding an extra point or 2 of HP here and there doesn't make much of a difference, but it'll add up quickly.

And now that we've eaten, we can rest and finally end the first day.

The next couple of days are just going to be spent building the dungeon and hopefully stealing a Crowbat's leg to finish our first sidequest.

So, let's get right to that.

Day 2 now, and from hereon in, we can basically do whatever we like. In order to do so, though, we need some more rooms so we can build more things. Just gonna need a couple more for today since shovel MP is still pretty tight.

Aside from that, there's nothing to do in town right now so we'll just dive straight into the cave.

*gulp*
Do you have a weapon? Potions? Did you say farewell to your friends?
Don't scare me like that...
Did you buy furniture? You need to place furniture, and make new rooms.
If you do that, then monsters will carry their own weapons and armor into the dungeon!

"Can," nothing. It's more like have to...

In particular, you might want to start out with some Straw Beds!
You may just find some monsters sleeping in them!

Leave two or three squares between the entrance and a room, or monsters won't want to live there!

Okay, so any purple circles on the map in the top corner are monsters. They will always enter a room on a new day (so long as its basically not adjacent to the ladder) but they can randomly appear outside of them as well.

More importantly, whenever we enter a square that's adjacent to them and they can enter it in one step as well, a fight begins.

Fights are pretty simple; we only have four options to choose from, a normal attack, Owen's magic, an item or running away.

Thankfully for us, the Warcat starts Asleep because it got dragged outta bed for this fight. It won't wake up until we hit it. So we're gonna do just that.

Unfortunately for us, the Warcat is probably the second toughest enemy on the first floor (at the moment) so now that its awake we're in for a relative world of hurt.

Especially when it uses its special attack. So its gonna hit even harder. Oh boy...

Yeah, ow, there goes 1/3rd of our HP in one strike. Very nasty business, that. We can easily heal it and then some right now, but that's a bit excessive at the moment; I'm generally that overconfident idiot what only heals when absolutely necessary.

Thankfully, it doesn't come to that this time around. It generally takes about 3-4 hits to actually take down a Warcat which is not exactly ideal, but we always have the advantage on this floor which helps.

I have to say "generally" because enemy strength is semi-random. It's possible for a Warcat to have slightly less HP than that (its 16-18 on floor 1) and the money we get also varies a bit as well.

Something not made clear at all by the Straw Bed's room placement (and the room period) is that you can mostly guess what you're going to be fighting based on its silhouette.

In this case, we DID get a Crowbat. How fortunate.

Equally fortunate is that it got the first turn, so it got to do something. Sounds weird, I know, but...

Considering we can effortlessly one-shot it, even at absolute base stats, that's pretty bad on its part.

Now that we've taken care of those two, we can focus more on finishing building our little area for collecting food easily. See, enemy drop rates are godawful if you just fight one enemy at a time. The chance of something being dropped goes up the more enemies there are in a fight; 3 is the most, of course, and all but guarantees the last enemy killed will drop something.

There are only 2 enemies we can fight from a Feed Barrel, and they have a whole 3 drops between them. 2 of which are food items.

Because of how close that is to the current Straw Bed, we're going to set up a cluster of 3 of these a little further off to the right. There are also 2 enemies that can appear in these, but they have a lot more drops between them. The difference being, with one exception from the Warcat, it's all equipment.

Once this is finished, we'll be able to get stronger in both ways very quickly. At least in theory. We do need to spend a decent chunk of cash to get it setup, but its relatively profitable because of how much you can get from equipment and all.

Unlike before, whenever we go back home now, we don't get interrupted by anyone else, so we can just cook and sleep in peace.

Speaking of which, until I specify otherwise, just presume that I'm only boosting Owen's HP. His MP will easily catch up once we're done with the first floor, don't worry about that.

Not to mention food and items!
Oh yeah, about those... Do you have enough magic items? Light Bombs or Fire Bombs...?
Buy them at the Magic Shop!

Fire, for right now, yes. Light is irrelevant until a bit later, so who cares.

wrong place, right? We can fill the wall back in again.

Straw Bed by the entrance still just spat out a Warcat at us, so we'll skip up to this little trio. Can clearly see that the second enemy from a Feed Barrel will turn up now.

And we even got TWO Pigboars for our troubles! Taking them down in a fair fight right now is a bit much for Owen, mostly because its 3-on-1 more than anything else.

Fortunately, the game starts us off with 1 of every basic magic item. Let's put this one to good use...

Fire Bombs are pretty handy for most of the first floor, since they'll oneshot almost everything we can run into. The exceptions can be counted on one hand.

It's two.

Since there was three enemies in that fight, we're pretty much guaranteed to get something out of it for our troubles. A Pigboar was on the far right, so it dies last from the bomb. That means we got one of its two drops; the bag is just "miscellaneous" stuff so we can't tell what it is immediately. It might be its food drop (ideal)...

Or it might be its fur. Not quite what I wanted but it will more than suffice for the moment.

The good news with this is that a Fire Bombs costs 50G to purchase. The fur sells for a little over 150G, so we can turn one bomb into 3 if we want to.

The other straw bed also had a Warcat. Was sorta hoping for the other enemy we could fight at this point, but no dice. Just gotta place the next two straw beds and then continue digging up a bit.

Nothing else to do in the cave, so let's go shopping. We don't need to sell the fur to get another bomb immediately, so there's that.

The Healing Potion is just Heal but less cost effective. And less effective in general.

In a nice rarity, the equipment store actually sells something new today as well. Don't get too used to this happening.

Pigboar Fur actually works out as getting us profit even if takes all 3 bombs we can buy from it. Not much, but its something?

Well, no, its really kind of not. It's kind of weird having items with no use BUT to sell when we can get infinite equipment that sells for about the same, if not more, for the exact same effort but more consistently.

The hat is relatively cheap but, again, not worth buying. We can get better stuff as a drop in the cave.

Eat, sleep, and back to the grindstone we go.

Apple Vipers will appear there!
A Magic Hole is just what it sounds like.
They open up somewhere in the dungeon when the number of monsters goes up.
It has to do with the increased magical power generated.
Monsters are most comfortable around a Magic Hole, so expect to find tougher monsters nearby.
They're technically holes, but Magic Holes are more like Magic Rooms than anything else.
Expect to see major boss monsters in them!

Translation: as well as meeting the specific requirements, place enough rooms on a floor and a boss fight will appear in a fixed place.

Speaking of rooms and fights, our feed barrel circle gave us the ideal setup right here. We don't even need to waste a Fire Bomb on this or anything.

Now we can finish that sidequest the Mayor wanted us to do. I'm normally actually done with it before now, but taking stuff a bit slower this time around.

Setting up something special here for a little bit later. Two easy enemies and a gap for a third room, but in this case its one we don't even have yet.

The straw beds have paid dividends quite nicely this time around, and finally given us the other enemy they can spawn. I'd rather have a Warcat on the right, to maybe speed something up later, but a Goblin will do as well.

As we are right now, trying to fight through all 3 of these guys "fairly" would be ludicrous so we're just gonna burn them in their sleep instead. The goblin alone could decimate us if we woke it up.

Or at least it could have done if it didn't give us this instead. It's not the best piece of equipment for the floor, but its the nicest for sure.

More defence than the hat we could've bought, but it also grants some resistance to being Stunned. This is a good thing, because a Goblin can randomly stun you and if that happens you are probably going to die.

We're actually basically done with the general layout we want for the floor already. Just need to expand one square in the top-right corner for later, and we have two gaps for the last rooms we'll get later. One as the right-hand side of a 3-monster battle and one to go right by the ladder in this alcove.

Unfortunately, even with them we won't quite have enough to make the boss spawn. We need to get that Rank up to at least 40 and those two rooms alone won't do it.

Fortunately, we do need to spend some time digging around a bit more because I think its about time we did something we should've done on day 1.

That'll have to wait until later though. Right now, I'm going to do something weird and seemingly crazy. Just gonna sell that Helmet we just got. It's only 120G but...

Now we can buy it back. We can buy as many of them as we want for that matter. This is the main way of increasing the equipment store's stock, and there IS some cases where this is worth doing as more than a silly thing for an example. We'll get one of them fairly soon, even.

So let's go cook this Crow and give it to the mayor.

I've got it. Look.
Ah yes, that's it.
...A little salt, a pinch of pepper... and that should fry up into some tasty Fried Crow!
It's a popular treat in big cities, I hear.
Hmph...
No kids will want to come this far to eat it, though...

An attraction...?
There's nothing like that in a mountain town like this one.
Yeah, you're right...
Anyway, I have to go visit the Mayor. I'll take this Crow Leg with me.
Ask the Mayor for your payment when you see him. Later!
Some kind of attraction... in this town? Ridiculous...

We're pretty much done with this detour now, so let's go get our payment and move things along.

So this will be our town's new signature dish! Now, we just wait for your dungeon to be finished.
Heh heh heh... Maybe I'll help you out a bit... Here, take this!
Thank you...

This seems like a pretty mediocre reward considering we got 1,000 for doing literally nothing, but its actually only part of what we get outta this. There's two more aspects to this...

Welcome home!
Huh?!

...No, this is not quite what I meant. It leads into it though.

Wh-What are you doing?
I made the Mayor some Fried Crow, and he really, really loved it.
He said I was a cooking genius!
No kidding...
So I thought I'd make you something to eat, too!
Well, thanks...

That's a bit more like it. Free ingredients are very nice, at the moment, considering what she gives us.

So, don't be shy. Tell me what you want to eat!

So our real 2nd part of what we get outta one simple fetch quest is that we can now cook two new things. We even basically get to keep that Crow Leg.

...But we get 2 Pigboar Ribs as well. This lets us push both Strength and Speed up to 5 each, which isn't too shabby right now.

For now we'll upgrade Strength more; the quicker we get that up, the quicker we can stop relying on items to take down a group of sleeping enemies.

As for the third part of our reward? That's gotta wait, since we'll get it right at the start of the next day.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 1, 2015

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
This looks pretty interesting.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Never heard of this game before--which is a pity, because it looks like my kind of thing! I'm in. :allears:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Picayune posted:

Never heard of this game before--which is a pity, because it looks like my kind of thing! I'm in. :allears:

Same here. This looks damned interesting. I think I might go track down a copy...

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Oh man, Master of the Monster Lair. I never got around to finishing it because I was super bad at video games when I played it, but I remember enjoying it well enough. Either way, I'm looking forward to more.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
This does look like a nice little game.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Dragonatrix posted:

The game itself is sorta short, pretty funny at times and has an unfortunate tendency to get overlooked for its pseudo-sequel.

Let's be fair here - it gets overlooked for a reason. Nothing in this game, or indeed any other game, can match the sheer brilliance of Pout Points.

That being said, as someone who fizzled out midway through this one I am absolutely looking forward to seeing the rest.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dragonatrix posted:

...Oh, spoilers? There's only like three things that really "count." Just use tags if you're unsure or if it's actually important that we haven't see yet.

I don't know why but I somehow doubt this. I'm not gonna spoil myself cause I wanna read it via LP but I bet there's more to this game than meets the eye.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Man, our MC's dialogue is atrocious.

Still, the game has potential. Eager to see where it's going.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
This is adorable. Good luck!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Lookin good. Might just grab this for myself.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm liking this game so far. It has a very cute and happy charm to it. :3:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Nick Buntline posted:

Let's be fair here - it gets overlooked for a reason. Nothing in this game, or indeed any other game, can match the sheer brilliance of Pout Points.

Yeah, I can understand why. It's just a bit of a shame really, but that's pretty much why this forum/thread exists so it all works out well enough.

Nuffkins
Apr 20, 2014
I like the LP so far.

Dragonatrix posted:

Okay, NOW we can finally stuff something down Owen's throat. We can only choose between the two we have here right now...

And neither is very good, to be frank. We'll very quickly get ones that outclass both of these, but these are amongst the easiest to make since they basically just cost money.
[...]
The MP one is technically better (since Heal costs 3MP), but it really does not matter at the moment. Adding an extra point or 2 of HP here and there doesn't make much of a difference, but it'll add up quickly.

Later in the game, you only need to focus your food. So long as you have a rough plan, it all evens out.

But not earlygame.

Earlygame, order matters. Well, okay. It would if this game weren't so easy. But order is simple. You only get a few choices, so it's easy to make them. For food, you can either raise HP by 1 or MP by 2. Let's find the best route.

HP starts nebulous. Constitution stays at 3 long enough for HP to drop quickly. 1 HP adds up, but all early food options past these raise it 1 or 2. A few early points don't buy you another hit.
For MP, just one thing uses MP early on: Heal. So, does that matter? Hell yeah. Heal restores 100+wisdom for 3 MP. At base, that restores 105 HP — more than three times your starting HP. Heal stays a full restore for a long time. But MP only affects how much you can use it. You start at 8, so it starts at twice. Boosting MP brings you to 10, so you can use it three times. Boosting it again leaves you at 12, enough for exactly 4.

So, it's 2 HP or 2 full heals. Unless you play recklessly (totally fair for how slow this game gets), go for two Boiled Veggies. Then stop because you get Pigboar Stew. Pigboar Stew: Until You Can Boost Constitution, gently caress Everything Else.

Nuffkins fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 4, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
This looks fun, I'll be following it. There really isn't enough dungeon-making games out there, and it's always a fun idea.

Dr. Billy
Mar 31, 2011
I liked this game! I didn't beat it, but the food system means no challenge stays hard forever. Looking forward to a more coordinated playthrough of this game.

Nuffkins
Apr 20, 2014

Dr. Billy posted:

I liked this game! I didn't beat it, but the food system means no challenge stays hard forever.

That system works so you never get stuck. It just doesn't work when you min/max like an idiot and make the game too easy. The food system depends on you trying to progress every day. Once you have ingredients, nothing stops you from skipping each day to eat. It gets tedious, but ~10 stat points take less than 20 minutes to get — gather to eat. You can do silly things.

The game is as hard as you make it, and I'm glad Dragonatrix keeps it interesting.

Nuffkins fucked around with this message at 12:19 on May 4, 2015

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

This sorta kinda reminds me of Dungeon Keeper, so I'm interested in this.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

As soon as the next day begins, this guy comes right to our door instead of the other way around.

Ah, the man from the Magic Shop... Good morning.
I'd love to eat some Dry Slime...
Hmm?

Huh...
I thought maybe you could help me with some tasty food...
What? Huh?
I want to eat some Dry Slime!
I see...
I'll pay you in advance. Thanks for your help.
Okay...

(So... Is that the job of a Dungeon Digger?)
Dry Slime! What a strange thing to wanna eat!

Well, this is suddenly becoming remarkably disgusting.

A rubbish heap? You mean, like a trash pit?
Yeah, can you believe that man? Wanting to eat something that lives in a place like that!
It is a little odd, come to think of it...

We totally don't have to do this if we really don't want to. This always pops up the day after we finish getting the mayor that crow leg, since the last thing that unlocks is, uh, sidequests. Each floor only has a small amount, at least.

Of course, they all consist of stuff we'd probably be doing anyway so we might as well do as many as we can. Get extra free things that way after all.

And since a trash pit is something we don't have yet, we should go see if we can even buy one.

Hey, do you have a Trash Dump?
Yes, of course!

Are you sure? Without a net, you'll definitely have a Slime problem.
You'll see at last one of 'em every single day!
Do you promise? That's great! I definitely don't want the net, then.
Hmm... You're an unusual customer, that's for sure. Very well.
I'll sell it to you without the net, for just 100 Gilberts! It's a steal!
Give it a try! Here you go!

So now we have the ability to buy a room that is a literal rubbish tip. We won't actually do that just yet though; first, we're going to leave and re-enter the furniture store. In a sort-of hard to realise way, this trigger also makes it so that...

Another new room is also unlocked at the same time. Problem is, they have independent scenes so you could miss this one pretty easily.

Chests?

Why would I want to place treasure chests in my dungeon?
Heh heh, well, believe it or not, monsters will put treasures in the chests for safekeeping!
They think chests are the perfect place to hide treasure.
Of course, they'll lock them, too...
So all I need to do to get at the treasure is... steal the keys?
That's the way it works, yes...
The more monsters you have in your dungeon, the better the odds you'll find items in your treasure chests!
How about trying one out?

Now we'll buy both a trash dump and an iron chest; can only afford one of each, because the chests are quite expensive right now. At least they very quickly turn that downpayment into quite a nice profit fairly quickly.

That little bit dealt with, let's just go to the cave and drop them in the little slots I already prepared.

Think of what happens when you go in front of a room. The monsters rush out, right?
So all you need to do is make three rooms that surround a single square!
When you go to the surrounded square, monsters will come out of all three rooms...
And then you can fight them all at once!
If you do this right, then you'll get items more frequently. Got it?
The last monster you beat drops the item. But isn't it tough to fight three monsters at once?
Use magic items, like those Fire Bombs! You can buy 'em at the Magic Shop!

Monsters might not be willing to chill in rooms right next to the entrance, but they have absolutely no issues with storing their treasure there.

More importantly, there's a little something lying in wait a bit to the south of the entrance as well.

We can't go very far south, since there's an actual wall there. It's just tucked away over here, in the corner.

On some floors, there's items hidden in a corner or two. Occasionally, there's nothing at all though.

In this case, we found an accessory that has no use other than to be sold. It's a piece of equipment with no reason to equip.

Each weapon has its own unique little extra that can proc sometimes (but not overly often). Nice when it happens; daggers have fairly varied bonus effects. This one just has a chance to attack twice sometimes. Pretty useful, really!

Since we're fighting a solo goblin, we'll take this opportunity to see what one can do. This turned out to be a very bad idea.

The damage doesn't seem to impressive on its own, but that's not what makes the Goblin's skill a bit of a worry. That honour goes to its added effect.

Really wishing I didn't demonstrate the store by selling the one piece of armour that would be best right now. Being stunned is kind of a terrible scenario since it means we cannot do anything until it wears off.

It could take one turn, or it could do what it did here and take several. If it lasted one turn more, we would've actually dropped here. How embarrassing!

...At least it allows us to blow this 3MP for a Heal. Wouldn't do this if I had more than 6HP since it'd be a gigantic waste otherwise.

It does make for a good full heal though.

Still not getting the Warcat on the right over at the trio of straw beds. At least we can get our first shield this way. It's only 1 defence, but it's a start.

Naturally, the trash dump is going into that gap that was left at the top-right corner. You might be wondering why I didn't grab 3 of these and make a set of them like with everything else. This is a valid thing to wonder, but there is a reason for it.

With this and the chest in place, we're actually done with every room we "need" now. Unfortunately, the game still wants us to place upto 5 more rooms after this, so we're going to need to add some unnecessary filler.

To do that we're going to need more money, of course. Getting two Pigboar Furs is normally a terrible thing, but it'll help speed this up a fair bit. The Glass Ring can be flipped for easy money; 200G isn't a bad amount for something you can grab immediately on Day 1.

And since we still have that other Pigboar Rib that Kate brought, we can boost Owen's strength to 5. Can't do that again until we get more as a drop though.

I have nothing left to teach you! You're already a fine, upstanding Dungeon Digger!
You ran out of stuff to say, huh...?
(I'd better write down all the important-sounding stuff I learned here...)

Well now, this is a rarity. And it gave us a very nice new weapon at that. A solo Warcat in the straw bed by the entrance dropped its dagger for us.

...Finally got a drop from the right enemy, but it was the wrong drop. Getting kinda worried that I might have to drag things out now.

This isn't a bad drop to get by any means, mind you, since its better than the Knife we spent actual money on. It's immediately getting equipped and being used until we get something better, of course.

Sadly, didn't have quite the same luck with the actual equipment farming area. Once again, we got a Goblin drop but unfortunately this is something we actually start with.

Might actually have to create a second equipment farming area just to get the one thing I actually want.

So, the reason we're not smacking around 3 Slimes at once is pretty simple really. They have the most HP out of everything we can fight, and this kind of damage is with a Fire Bomb so it's always going to deal 29 damage. This also has the added downside of making it so we cannot one-shot them until later. Their minimum HP is 30.

They're tanky blighters and it's a very good thing we got that Warcat Dagger just in time. If we still had the Knife as our only weapon, we'd be dealing a whopping 1 damage.

Slimes are not fun buggers to farm, even if its just for the sidequest. They have 3 drops; 1 of them is vendor trash, the second is a ring with actual use, and the third is the Dry Slime we want. This one might also take a while knowing my luck.

But since we need to add some padding, lets grab some more hidden loot. Our second one is much more worthwhile and over in the bottom-right corner so it takes a bit more time to get to.

It is very much worth it though; it's the best ring we can get until a little later.

It does nothing for our defence, but it does increase our Attack. If we can kill stuff faster, we don't need to worry about defence.

We're going to need a filler area, so we'll throw a little area up here of three more food rooms (has more longterm benefits y'see). Or at least we will once we get the Shovel its MP back.

The Ring of Power gives us exactly as much money as the Glass Ring if we sell it, and we will. This is something we want to duplicate so we can run around with two equipped immediately.

Only got the one Crow Leg, so we'll have to get one of them to drop if we want to boost Speed again. Considering my luck as of late, I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Oh, and I put a second straw bed by the entrance as well. This one is pretty much entirely just to help try to grab the drop we want quicker.

...It does not help. The Oversized Club is the first club we can get and it's okay I guess.

Same strength as the Warcat Dagger, but being a club it has a chance to stun enemies instead. I prefer the dagger effect, though, so not gonna bother with using this one.

Normally I'd be glad that the chest has something in it now, but I'm not too sure. This adds its key to everything's drop table which means...

...We get it instead of the food we could put to good use. This does still have one good use we can put it to, but its not exactly likely to happen.

The Iron Chest has a few random items it can give, which is entirely random and determined when you open it and not a moment before. Basically means there's no way to manipulate the RNG to get what we want.

Silver Coins are by pretty common to get and their use is to sell for easy money and nothing more. But they sell for 500G which makes them the single best item to sell on the floor. Glass Rings are still bad and worthless, so of course they're most common. Copper Rings are just +1 Defence, but that's still better than the Glass one.

What we want is the second rarest item, though. The Leather Vest is available here for now, and it's a lot easier to farm on the second floor, but it is oh so very worth getting now.

It is by far the best piece of armour we can get for a little while.

Once again, not the drop we want. At least it's something new, even though it's not going to get used?

At least the Slime was kind enough to drop what we want on the second try.

There's still one more hidden treasure left to find, and its up in the top-left corner this time.

It... was not worth the trip, though. I misremembered it as being 1000G somehow. At least we can sell this for some cash.

Um... Is this really... edible?
Sure it is. I'll tell you all about cooking Dry Slime. You should try some, too.

Slime is nutritious. It's just the thing to make a hero out of a growing child.
(Really? He's talking about the same Slime, right?)
You and I both have work to do. Maybe I'll stock some new magic...

Oh, thank you very much.
(So my job is to collect food...?)

Could upgrade MP instead, but we'll hold off from that for now. Sole HP is our only alternative right now, so I guess we'll have to do that.

Before we go grab that new spell, now that we've delivered the Dry Slime the next day we get something new at the Equipment store.

Oh, h-hello...
(She's always so pretty...)
Hey, boy...
Y-yes?
(I just wish she wouldn't call me "boy" all the time...)
Do you know what a 'halter' is?
A... 'hall-terr'...?
Well, someone wants one, but I'm all out of stock...
Do you think you could find one in your dungeon? All I need is one.
What is a halter, anyway?
It's chest armor, designed for a girl.
A girl's chest... armor....

Um, I'll see you later, then...
Do you have any Warcats in your dungeon?

Uh, um, yeah, sure. A Warcat Halter. I'll look for one...

Really hoped to have one of these already, since then we could get the Very Good reward for it immediately. No such luck though.

This is useful if you want to keep one monster asleep until the end of the fight...
Use this right, and it'll be very handy for you.

Sleep is actually a very good spell, surprisingly enough. It has a remarkably high success rate and shuts down a lot more than you might expect.

...Warcats, however, will continue to be unnecessarily mean with their drops. I think this drop is the only one that rivals the Slime's glass ring for sheer spite. :sigh:

Sleep shutting down everything in one shot is very common. And it's only 2MP to cost at that! A very good use of that 300G.

Not much else happens this day; just pretty standard setting down a couple rooms, and moving on. Stewed Slime is the best food thus far in a sense, since it gives us more HP than anything else and ups defence.

It's also technically the hardest to make since it requires 2 things that are exclusively drops. Won't be making this again for a while, because the RNG just does not like me right now.

Still needed to place exactly one more room to hit Rank 40+. I made a conscious decision to place a single straw bed over by the right wall; this will actually be beneficial to us later down the line.

Ah, wow. Here's the rarest item from the chest; it is a helmet with 3 defence and is a rare hat in that it grants resistance to stunning.

Wish I noticed I got this earlier, because I just sold it without thinking. Good job I can rebuy it, since normally earliest you'll get this is from a drop on the third floor! :v:

Just gonna take this moment to begin to boost MP a bit; gonna need it more and more soon, albeit not for reasons you might be expecting.

...I didn't think I'd actually be a bit annoyed that the boss turned up when it did.

We could totally go and fight it right now, but only if we don't get the Warcat Halter.

Which, somehow, we actually do. Really wanted this sooner, but no such luck. Ah well.

As you would expect, no, Owen cannot equip it.

H-Hi... Umm, the Warcat Halter...?
Oh? Great! You found one. Thanks.
Don't mention it.

Would you also accept this as thanks for hunting this down for me?

Now THIS is what I wanted. Gonna be so handy here.

Thank you! Do you mind if I ask you for other favors in the future, when I need something?
Sure, whatever you need...

Switching one Ring of Power out for a Ring of Light. If I wanted to maximise the use I could get out of this, I'd sell it, buy back two and then use both.

On top of adding 1 to defence, it gives us 30 points of Light resistance. This isn't a percentage amount (it works out right now as reducing Light damage by about 25%), but it is going to be very, very useful.

Now, how about that boss fight?

Apple Viper

For something nice, the Viper actually has fixed statistics. Doesn't mean anything, since the game won't tell us them other than its HP is 98 and like all enemies, its MP is infinite.

All right, Buddy, let's take it down!
Do I have to fight it all by myself...?
Uh, well, yeah...
I'll be hiding over here if you need me...! Good luck!

So, the Apple Viper is a bigger threat than it first appears. It's regular attack is on-par with everything else in the area, judging by the numbers; in reality, that it's doing this damage with our upgraded armor and defence makes it that much more impressive.

Unfortunately, we can't really hurt it much. Despite what you would think, Fire is not that effective against this thing. Sub-10 damage from a Fire Bomb is quite worrying!

It does have the silly result of making it so that our normal attack can actually outdamage it for once, though.

If this is all that it was, the fight would be slow but not really a challenge. Fortunately(?), the Viper does have two nasty tricks.

It doesn't seem that impressive in terms of raw damage, which does make it actually kind of the best thing to happen to us.

...Even though it does also does this. So long as the attack connects, this happens and there is nothing we can do to cure it. There are no items or spells available for a while that can cure poison.

Fortunately for us, it only deals 1 damage to us at the start of our turn. That makes it such a non-issue that we can just power through it.

Until he drops below 50HP and this happens. This is the Apple Viper's most threatening move and its exactly why we wanted that Ring of Light.

That 14 damage IS with the Ring of Light. That's pretty drat lethal, but its consistent with it and so we can play with that as a fixed value to keep above. Well, really 15 because we take the poison damage immediately after.

Aside from that, it's just something that we have to deal with and hope we have enough heals to win. That's the big reason here why you want to actually boost MP earlier than I did, but pfft, nah. If I got better food drops, the +4 I took would've been completely unnecessary.

End

But we'll consider that version of events to be the more "ideal" way of doing things. Just gonna go back and redo it without even bothering to pick up the Ring of Light. Not even gonna hand over the Warcat Halter until after we're done here.

It does mean we lose half our health in a single light emission, which makes it more dangerous to mess with but we can still manage to get through this and win.

Just, uh, need to remember to not waste MP trying to put it to sleep. Unfortunately, just because its good and useful against normal monsters doesn't mean anything here. The Viper is a boss and all.

Yeah, we won, somehow...
You did really well. And all that hard work... I think something may have grown a bit in the process.
Huh?
Your item bag! Look at it!

This is nicer than it sounds, but unless we did something really silly our old max would've been sufficient for a bit longer.

Let's take something back with us to prove that we beat an Apple Viper.
Hey, how about that Snake Leaf?
Leaf...?

Wow, this is a leaf, from an Apple Viper? So I guess it was closer to a fruit than a reptile...?

There's actually now some more things to do on the first floor, but we'll head down to the second for the time being.

So this'll be the 2nd floor, huh?
Plenty of good digging spots here, Buddy...
Keep in mind that different monsters like to live at different depths underground, and that means different types of weapons and food...
You should be able to grow stronger by gathering things from these monsters. Let's get to work!

We don't really know what we're going to be up to on this floor right now, but that doesn't mean I can't use my sneaky foreknowledge to begin to prepare part of the wanted layout.

Oh... Yeah, that's true.
It was in there?
Yep.
How was it? Does it look tough?
It was a little scary.
Don't do anything drastic, okay? You may have lured it into your dungeon...

Actually, I already defeated it.
Huh?
Yeah, Apple Vipers aren't really like snakes. They're more like apple trees...
Check this out. It's an Apple Viper Leaf. Those aren't wings, those are leaves...!
I couldn't believe it myself.
Whoa! You're amazing! It's like you were born to be a Dungeon Digger!

I'd like to celebrate your victory with a gift from the town. Here you go, take this.

I can't just stand here. Now that the Apple Vipers are gone, I have something to do!
There's no need for a dungeon anymore, so I should probably go bury it.
What do you think you're doing?! Your dungeon is the best thing to ever happen to this town!

And what about our town's famous Pigboar Stew?
We'll make tons of cash. I mean... This tiny little town will become famous!

Whaaat?

Well, I guess there is a nice little path available that will avoid all the monsters and let people see everything in there? Still a stupid idea, but its not like stepping through the door will get someone immediately devoured.

So we're now essentially done with the first floor. There's still little bits and pieces to do there, but they'll take quite a while to do so we won't worry about it right now.

Next time, we'll begin the second floor for real.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 9, 2015

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Well, it seems like the bosses of this game can be quite dangerous. Good thing you were prepared, that first boss was rough.

Nuffkins
Apr 20, 2014
Does this game's art baffle anyone else? Like, the 3D models in the dungeon look okay. The textbox borders look nice. The town looks great. But something — and I don't know what it is — just, s.o.m.e.t.h.i.n.g doesn't look quite right. Can you spot it? I'll give you a hint: the background loving sucks.

e: I coulda linked a lot more.

Nuffkins fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 4, 2015

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

grandalt posted:

Well, it seems like the bosses of this game can be quite dangerous. Good thing you were prepared, that first boss was rough.

It IS an atlus game, after all. They get off on our tears and then some.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

At the same time, it looks like if you really wanted to, grinding isn't all that difficult, albeit time consuming.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I've never heard of this game before. Hell, I don't think I've heard of its (apparently more popular?) sequel either, but it looks charming. I like how non-serious it is, kid just finds a magical, wordy shovel and gets building dungeons. I hope it remains like that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, really, a tourist trap is probably better than an increasing number of ridiculously powerful monsters showing up outside of town.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Oh, thanks.
They sent you this magic Olive Oil to help you with your work. Here you go!
You can use it to polish your shovel.

Now, about that tourism license...
(Is it really important...?)
Apparently, they don't care about tourism. They won't give me a license! Can you believe it!?
Well, it IS dangerous around here. And a dungeon is no place for tourists...

Dunno about you, but I think that this smells like a plot hook.

Have any taken up residence in your dungeon yet?
Hobgoblins...? No, but there are small Goblins.

Biglins...?

C'mon, man. The correct rename here is "Bigoblin." How do you miss that?

Anyhow, Hobgoblins need a larger dungeon, I think. They like deep, dark, damp places...
Why don't you dig a second floor that's bigger than the first?
Okay. But why?

Add a second floor to the dungeon and trap a bunch of Hobgoblins. They'll be grateful, I'm sure.
Then, I'll ask them for the tourism license one more time...
Uh, yes, sir...
Now, go and make a new floor that will draw them in. Good luck!
Okay...
Hey, Buddy. You got some Olive Oil, right?! Hurry up and polish me with it! Make me shine!

It's a good thing that it's implied that Kate only turns up at the evening to cook for Owen. Otherwise a young lad polishing his shovel in front of a lady would be a mite weird.

Oh yeah, that's the stuff!

The game isn't going to be quite as generous with this stuff in the future. We'll eventually get enough to almost no longer matter... by the time we don't need it any more. :v:

But seriously, most of this stuff is only available as a quest reward. Getting it for no real effort is great.

Before we dive in and build the second floor, we do need to make the rounds and see what the two most talkative people have to say.

Yeah.
Mind if I sell you a little something?
Huh?
Walking all that way to the second floor every day... it must be a real hassle.
I'll sell you Warp magic. It's cheap, and you can go to any floor with it.

He's not kidding when he said it was cheap, geez. Grabbing this now while I remember, but I don't really need it for a while.

The walk to the second floor is really such a non-issue, with that nice path I made. Due to the sheer size difference, the same cannot be said of getting to the third though.

Anyway, we need something to trick Hobgoblins to move in. And nothing we have can do the job...

Um, do you know what a Hobgoblin is?
Of course! The Hobgoblin monster, right...?
I have to lure Hobgoblins into my dungeon. Do you have any rooms a Hobgoblin would like?
Umm, well, err...

Alright, if you want Hobgoblins in your dungeon, then what you need is a Cellar! Hobgoblins love those dark, musty rooms...
And the best part is, the air makes them lightheaded and groggy, so you should have no trouble against them!
Also, Cellars have entrances in all four directions, so they can connect to other rooms!
Wow, entrances in four directions...
You've just got to give this a try! Go on, try it!

We'll just buy the one for the time being, because they are kinda expensive. We need at least five of them before too long though.

More importantly, if we leave and come back...

How about a Field!
A Field... Why would I need that? I'm not planning on growing any potatoes in my dungeon...

It's basically the same as a discount! :pseudo:

Huh...?
And listen up! Since it's nine times as big, that means it's three squares by three squares.
So, when you use it in your dungeon, make sure you dig a hole that is three by three!
So we need to dig nine squares, three across and three down... and then we can place a Field... Okay!

Way ahead of you.

You've got to try it! Go on! Try it!

I see the sign by the entrance has been updated, and that graffiti has been washed off. I mentioned it before, but this does change pretty frequently so we'll add it to our itinerary I suppose.

Nothing else to do, so let's head on into the caves.

Wait a second, Buddy! You don't have to kill it, you know!
It's one of those... other ones... and all that. You know!
Can't you speak a little more clearly?
It's not a bad Slime. This kind doesn't eat people, so you don't have to kill it!
Really? Well, it is round and fluffy. Kinda cute, actually...

Go back home! Wherever that is...
Gooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Will you make up your mind, already? Do you want me to fight it or send it home?
Neither, Buddy! You should make friends with it!
Huh?!

It's not mimicking anything at the moment, so it must have just been born. You should be its daddy, Buddy!
Take care of it and raise it by showing it all sorts of monsters, and teaching it things to mimic!
Wow... I'm its dad...
Hey, little Slime. Wanna come with me?
You're wasting your time. It can't talk!
Well, I like that it's quiet. Come on, little Slime.

Oh, I think he likes it!

At a couple times throughout the game, you can get new music to play in the dungeon; later tracks are actually pretty cool so I'll probably include links for them. Right now it's just "also this is a thing that happens."

It ultimately doesn't matter too much, but if you ever got someone else's dungeon you could probably tell how far they actually are just from the music at least.

Also, y'know, the number of floors. Mostly that one.

All right, let's go!

you'll have the chance to use Mimicry. You'll see skills, stats, special attacks, and stuff. Study the attributes carefully!
Make sure whether or not you want to Mimic that monster's abilities or not...

We'll just use a couple of random enemies on the first floor to showcase Gloop's capabilities. They start off completely unequipped, without the ability to equip anything for that matter, and with no spells. But there's two different spell options? Hmm, probably not important.

Also guarding instead of running. Owen can't guard, only run. Kinda annoying!

Whether or not you get to mimic something is rolled per enemy, but unlike with drops fighting 3 dudes at once doesn't make it a virtual certainty. It's also not always from the last enemy killed. In fact, if you want to mimic something specific, you should just throw that room down on its own.

Anyway, stats on the left are the base stats. Stats on the right are post-mimic stuff. Equipment and special skills if applicable on the bottom; mostly you can pretty easily tell what skils you can get/what you can equip just from the monster itself anyway.

More importantly, before we go downstairs, you may have noticed that the area where the ladder is used to be a wall. Now it's not. We can dig further out from here; there's not much of a reason to do so...

But if we go to the top-right of the expanded area we can find something hidden there of course.

This is where that money was. And it's more than I remembered too! How nice is that.

And if we spend several days digging down to the bottom-left corner we can find something else there as well. There's nothing in the top-left or bottom-right so don't waste your time.

This is some very nice armour, but, uh, it's for women only so Owen can't wear it. This is also the only one you can get, so if you really want it then you gotta do it here.

Fortunately, Gloop is thoroughly gender-neutral so they can wear it quite nicely. We won't be doing that though, and we won't even be collecting it just yet. The water resistance will be handy to have a fair bit later, so just remember its here for now.

It takes like 3 days to get to if you do nothing but dig right towards it. That's kinda ridiculous right now.

Also kinda didn't get the money just yet. In this case its because I forgot to get it until long after we were done though. :v:

So, the second floor. We did make 2/3rds of an area just for this field, so we should stick it right here.

Just a bit north of there, we'll start to build up our grinding area for, uh, just about everything. And it's a long single path too so even Gloop can get in on it.

Later on, I'm going to switch the straw beds here for feed barrels though. You'll see.

Dinner...? Do you think the Slime wants some too...?
Huh? Slime?
Yeah, the Mimic Slime...

It's okay! Don't worry... This is a nice Slime. It doesn't attack people.
You've got to be kidding!
It's all right! Relax!

Huh?
It's so gooey and wiggly! Is this your pet!?
A pet, well, yeah, umm...

I'll make your Slime something to eat, too!
Hey! Girl! This Slime doesn't need food!
Huh?
It doesn't eat food. It gets bigger by mimicking things!
That's why it doesn't eat people, either!

Well, isn't that what you are? Buddy's friend... the girl?
Or should I call you his... 'girlfriend'!?
What?! We're... friends!

Oh... just shut up!

I'm sure there's something wonderfully ironic about cooking up some slime immediately after befriending one. Mostly I just want the extra defense though.

Anyway, next day this guy's back. I'm telling ya, you feed a stray shopkeep once...

Oh, good morning.
I wanna eat a Spook Tart.
Oh...
(Again?)

A Spook Tart. Okay, got it.
I'm not sure where you'll find one, but please bring it to me when you do...
Okay...

(What's a Spook Tart? Some kind of snack? Something a Spook would have, maybe...)

A Spook, huh... nope. Don't think we've seen any of them before and I doubt they'll grow in our little farm area. You know what that means!

Do you mind if I say something a little scary?
I love scary things!
Really? Well, I want to lure some Spooks into my dungeon.
That's great! I'll have to go have a look for myself one of these days!
And you know, I have the perfect room for attracting Spooks, too!

..Why's it gotta be an evil Altar? :(

Why don't you buy some Altars and try making a truly horrific dungeon!?

This is beginning to sound like a terrible idea, I don't know.

I mean, seriously, look at that. 800G? What a ripoff!

...still buy one because kinda have to really.

Taterbombs create Fire Bombs and Blizzard Bombs inside their bodies. Defeat them to steal their bombs!
Once you get a Blizzard bomb, you'll be able to buy them at the Magic Shop, too!

Spoilers: we won't be getting a single Blizzard Bomb the entire time we're on the second floor. I know. I'm surprised too.

Huh? How does that work?
Well... You'll understand when you're older!
(Adults sure are sneaky... Wait, is Shovel really an adult?)

Ah, now this is more like it. So many things to kill. LET'S GO! :black101:

Taterbombs, of course, can use their bombs. Well, the fire ones anyway. Not the Blizzard ones.

It really tears into both Owen and Gloop, but the latter moreso right now.

Well, this is nice I suppose. Now we don't want them to drop any more of these ever again. With this in hand, the little girl that sells vegetables now sells them too.

...Naturally, then, with but one exception they're going to drop nothing but these for the rest of the floor. That one exception is a Fire Bomb. :sigh:

Also sticking an Iron Chest right by the stairs. Same principle as before. Plus this makes it easier to loot.

So, the pub "cellar" only contains Hobgoblins but it has an AoE effect. It makes everything start the fight drunk groggy. Grogginess just means they're a little more likely to miss and one other little thing.

Problem is, this overrides the Straw Beds making their inhabitants start asleep. This is kind of a problem with the normal Goblins replacement.

There IS a chance, at least, of groggy things just falling asleep on their turn.

Also, ow, Hobgoblins hit really, really hard for our current "level." If anything's gonna make it so we need to heal, right now it's this thing.

They also drop a lot of new, really good equipment... and this. Well, at least its 500G?

Gonna keep adding to the passageway now. This includes setting up an Altar next to a Cellar. Really, the third room should've been a Feed Barrel again, but in this case it doesn't matter as much.

At least with two floors worth of things to kill now, we begin to get ingredients thick and fast.

Oh and I shoulda pulled out the starter Light Bomb from storage for what comes next. But I forgot like an idiot so... uh.

I'm tired of just hunting Hobgoblins all the time. Let's look forward to the boss.
The more Hobgoblins we attract, the sooner he'll come.

Just more clearing stuff out, and... wow, Taterbombs are much more built than they look. We have to give up being able to equip stuff, but this makes Gloop hit harder than the Warcat arms.

Anyway, tiny Goblins are replaced with Wardogs. Wardogs are big, burly dudes who will stab you. With a sword.

Their sword is the first one we can get and also the strongest weapon available on this floor.

Needless to say, we want it. It might take a while to get though, since they have like four other drops.

....Or we can get it off the very first one we fight. That works too.

Swords are cool and good because, well, this
is an RPG. Of course the best weapons are swords. We will be giving every other type their fair shakes at other points though.

Anyway Spooks are--

....yeah, uh, you don't want this until you get the tart. No Light Bombs? You're not killing any without lots and lots of Strength grinding. Just about every hit is going to deal 1 damage for quite a while!

Unless that happens. Sword unleash on the first hit?

And I can't get a Blizzard Bomb to drop? Is the RNG just broken or something?

Apparently, yes, it is. I was expecting to have to spend ages grinding to get this one. Oh my God.

Yeah, so, Grinning Spooks give Gloop their first spell. Spells work a little differently to other special skills. Those require the right body piece equipped; spells just necessitate getting the head at some point ever. Gloop then keeps the spell forever.

Granted, you do need a headpiece with MP (and right now that makes it Spooks and pretty much nothing else) for it to mean anything though.

Even got the food immediately. This one was pretty likely though. Despite having three drops, this is the one they drop most often. They can sometimes cough up some good equipment but I would not count on it.

Alright, so sticking the trash dump in the middle here seems weird but I have my reasons. Namely that it doesn't really matter where it is. If we want the slime drop, we can get it easy enough as-is and if we don't then we can get something else too.

Speaking of something else, the only hidden item on this floor is in the top-left corner.

I think with this, we have more on-hand right now than we've had for the entire rest of the game thus far.

Also a Warcat on the first floor finally dropped its shoes. Nice of it to do it a bit later than it ought to have done.

Oh. I forgot to talk to the guy about this before. Oops.

There are tons of different ways to eat Potatoes...
But the simplest and tastiest way is to make Boiled Potatoes.

Pictured: our cooking teacher lying to us.

Just be sure not to boil them for too long, or they'll blow up in your pan...
(Well, yeah, they come from Taterbombs, after all...)

Let's try this again, shall we.

I saw an illustration of one in a book I read as a child, and I've always wanted to eat one.

Whoa... A snack you can eat to make yourself smarter. How easy is that?!

Well, it does require being able to kill a Spook in the first place. Easier said than done until we get a certain spell.

Anyway, the guy told us we need two potatoes so I bought a second like a forgetful dope. The recipe only needs one.

That's a whole 60G wasted! And the stat boost isn't even good or anything. Never even making this thing. At least the Potatoes will be handy later, when we get access to really good meals.

For now, we'll just eat even more slime in front of our slime baby and probably make it worry for its life.

If we want to make any Spook Tarts for ourselves (and we will), then we'll want to go straight to the magic shop today.

Anyway, I have some magic in stock for you...
It's light magic, so I'm sure you'll find it useful. Buy it and see for yourself.

Geez, that is VERY expensive. This one spell costs the most out of everything available to buy to date. :stare:

...We buy it immediately, of course. It's the Light Bomb's spell version but better in every way that matters.

So place lots of rooms! In the second floor, for instance, you'll need around to 30 to 40 monsters.
Don't forget to place four or five Cellars, since you're hunting for Hobgoblins!

It's a minimum of five Cellars and a rank of 70+ to get the boss to appear for what its worth, and-- hang on, the chest has been filled at last. Took long enough!

Lots of enemies still get oneshot by Fire Bombs, so we can rush through fights easy enough now. Plus we had over 6000G; Fire Bombs cost 50...

Really, though, just wanted the dogs out of the way so we could replace their bedrooms. Feed Barrels still only give Crowbats and Pigboars here for what that's also worth.

So, yeah, this is why you hit Spooks with Holy Light/Light Bombs. They take 1 damage from almost everything else. Almost unfairly so.

So let's see how much damage this does.

Um, so, a Spook has ~22HP. At their absolute maximum.

This kills one twelve times over. At minimum Wisdom. Magic is pretty good!

Speaking of pretty good, random Slime coughs up a drat nice body part for Gloop. Using this immediately.

Oh dear, I appear to have trapped myself in the bedroom next to the garden. However can this problem be resolved?

Right. Wanton murder.

Kind enough to give us the key to the chest, so we'll see what it contains this time around. Silver Coin and Copper Ring stick around from before; Short Spear is the first of its kind and is only available here. We'll use it later.

Glass Tiara is the second rarest item in the chests here, and naturally Owen can't wear it. So when we get one for real, it'll go to Gloop instead.

This one we can get as a drop on the 3rd floor, so there's that I guess.

But what we want right now is this thing.

It's technically the second best armour avialable right now, Sailor Suit being tied for raw defense but has an elemental bonus, but the best we can realistically use. Giving it straight to Owen, since Gloop can't equip any armour with a Slime body.

Spook Tarts are really good to make, being the magical equivalent of the slime stuff. Easier to get though, only requires one item, and getting one lets you get more easier. It's like an ouroboros of magical power.

So naturally we boost Speed first. :v:

Helps more since 5 Wisdom is enough to laugh at Spooks' feeble attempts to matter. We also kinda want to be fast enough to go before them so they don't Seal our magic anyway.

Although it's best to fight three monsters at a time to earn items...
You'll only be able to Mimic an enemy once per battle!
So if you fight monsters one at a time, you'll have three chances to Mimic monsters! Got it?
If you want to Mimic a Warcat ability, then you should try lining Straw Beds along a corridor.
You'll have a chance at Mimicry for very single room!
So if you want to earn items, arrange your rooms into groups...
But if you want to gain Mimicry abilities, you'll want to spread your rooms out.

Honestly, I just combine the two so that way we can get repeated attempts at mimicking stuff while also getting all the items. Takes less time to set up, significantly less time to fight though and it works just as well.

Case in point, switching the potato-y arms out now for a Hobgoblin's pair instead. Exactly as strong at the face of it, but getting access to a lot of new equipment and a bonus ability for good measure.

Still need a club though, so before we worry about that, let's shut this Spook down so it doesn't get in the way.

And by "need a club," I mean the Hobgoblin that was in this room originally dropped one. So we want to get through this ASAP to get it as quickly as possible.

See? This is an actually Good Club. Sorta.

It's not that much stronger than the first one, and it's weaker than the Wardog's Sword. But Hobgoblin arms are the strongest available for Gloop right now I do believe, so its technically the best weapon there. Can't use swords with Hobgoblin arms.

Speaking of Hobgoblins drops, though, they were kind enough to give us new shoes rather fast as well.

Armour noticeably only goes up in a more piecemeal fashion than weapons which jump all over the place.

And NOW we can boost Owen's Wisdom. At least so its in line with everything else. Feels sorta weird to be making someone so perfectly balanced, but his strengths will be more accentuated later when it matters.

Anyway, just gonna jump right back into the cave now. Making a path around our farm, so that we can get to the boss easier when it spawns. As nice as it is, I don't really want to fight through at last 10 things before fighting the boss itself.

That's just thinking ahead though; it still hasn't spawned, of course. While clearing monsters out again, the Spook actually dropped its robe.

It's a straight downgrade from the jacket, but they're both quite rare to actually get so I'd just take whichever one you can get. If any.

Still no Blizzard Bombs though. The game is mocking me, I swear.

Well, a new shield from a Wardog isn't too bad I suppose.

Granted, shields aren't that great but they're a nice extra all the same.

Gonna need this defence boost before too long, I reckon. Boss should be turning up any moment now.

Okay, well, maybe not. But at least we can trade second floor Warcat legs for... second floor Warcat legs.

This is probably gonna be useful in some way.

Best helmet available thus far, and the stun resistance is going to come in handy.

Shoulda gone for Wisdom and not strength. Hindsight is 20/20 etc. etc.

Mostly because NOW is when this thing turns up.

No reason to delay any further; just gonna beeline straight for it.

Leon

That's a... lion thing with wings and a rockin' beard. I don't think Hobgoblins look like this.

Who are you, child?
Uh...
What is your business in my home?!
Well, um, this isn't really your home..
What!?
This is a trap we built to trick you!

Yes. Without a doubt!

Just because he's King, he thinks he can do anything he likes!
King... Leon...?
You can't fool me. I know you're in league with that King Leon!
I've never even heard of him...
Prepare to be smashed. I'll pulverise you to pieces! I'll bash you into tomorrow... or next week!
Get ready, foolish boy!
Such a macho bully... Time to teach you a lesson!

So, as you might have realised by now, boss fights are kinda slow affairs that aren't really that hard. This is the kind of damage we can expect to deal to this guy.

Well, with Gloop anyway. Owen's can vary wildly from 1 to 7...ish. At least with a normal attack.

Best way to deal with this guy, outside of lucky Stuns, is to use the Holy Light spell. It still only deals 10 damage, but if I wasn't an idiot I could use that to take off 60 of his 146 HP pretty fast.

Especially since his attacks actually kind of hurt. Not so much his normal attack mind.

No, it's his two special skills that are a problem.

The grab doesn't deal that much more damage than his normal attack, but the issue with this one is the chance to stun.

But this attack is the biggest problem here.

Deals more damage than his normal attack, can outdamage his grab, and it hits both Owen and Gloop. Fantastic.

So of course he uses it more than the other two.

We don't have any multi-target healing, but at least our HP is low enough to only need to use the Healing Potions still.

Wish I, uh, thought of that sooner than mid-fight though!

Still, despite that, it just took a mite longer than it ought to have done. Not particularly difficult if you don't just try and mash A or something.

End

All that hard work paid off...! And look! Something has grown in the process.
You mean my item bag, again?
Yep!

Another new page for items is available, and this time it actually matters. Shocking, I know.

There's something on the floor here...

Cool! I wonder if I can wear this!
...Probably not.

Let's go check out that 3rd floor now that we have the chance.

Hey, is it getting a tad hot in here...?
That's right. This'll be a great place for monsters who like the heat!
You know the type. Fire monsters!

Really wish I had blizzard bombs by now!

Ahem, anyway. We have the MP and rooms ready, so let's begin prepwork for when we start for real. Just gonna put the chest down now while I remember.

A couple beds and a trash dump too. Not really much else to add right now; just gonna start to dig out a 3x3 area again off to the right though.

Now, let's go give the Mayor this mane.

...Or, uh, not. Hmm. I guess we need to go take a nap and come back in the morning.

Yeah. It was a tough fight, but we won... He was pretty cool-looking. Kinda like a lion.
But he had these bat wings, and his mane was crazy...!
What the heck? I thought you were just hunting Crowbats down there.

Yeah, didn't I tell you...?
I guess I wasn't listening. I can't believe you've been hunting monsters by yourself!
I'm not alone. I've got Gloop. There are two of us!
Don't forget about me!

It's far too dangerous for you to keep going in that dungeon all alone!
Like I said, I've got Gloop with me!
Don't forget about me!

Yeah, well, it's my job.
You need another person to help out.
Huh...?

Enough magic to start a fire in a furnace...
I'll buy some stronger spells, then!
That Magic Shop doesn't have any good spells...
Stop making up excuses! Leave it to me!
Wh-Who said you're in charge...?

She's not kidding; she's a whole 14 years old!

One year closer to being someone's grandma, you mean!
No one asked you!

And so did Katherine force herself into the party. :confuoot:

Since when did we become heroes...?

Same deal as with Gloop, new party member, new music.

Kate's equipment selection is a bit different to Owen's, of course. She can't use shields, clubs, swords or anything like that. Which, well, did you see her initial stats? She's a blatant mage so fair enough.

We'll give her some of our good stuff in a minute. First, let's see if the Mayor will take the mane now.

Keep putting down those musty Cellars.
I don't know why those Hobgoblins like rooms with such bad air quality, but oh well...

Okay, fine, maybe not then.

That's more like it. Still not ideal, but it will do quite nicely for now. She'll get upgrades pretty fast too anyway.

And, of course, since we're eating for two now, aside from this one time we won't be covering every single meal any more. Not just because it'd get tedious and boring or anything.

I mean, it probably will but a lot of them are going to be pretty obvious and self-explanatory anyway; might just stick end of update stats at, uh, the end of the update or something. We'll see.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 8, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I actually had this game! It's pretty charming in a surrealistic sort of way.

But I do have to point out that the wild slimes are much cuter than Gloop, with their little shells and beady eyes.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Gloop has to learn how to be a Slime? Something about that doesn't seem right...

But with this shape-changing party member mechanic, the game is even more identical to My World, My Way. I bet Owen's the one who dug all the dungeons in that game.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm really starting to like this charming little game. It's got so much character! Also, I kinda like how it sorta seems to be encouraging you to power grind, as it doesn't seem particularly hard to do so.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Nidoking posted:

Gloop has to learn how to be a Slime? Something about that doesn't seem right...

But with this shape-changing party member mechanic, the game is even more identical to My World, My Way. I bet Owen's the one who dug all the dungeons in that game.

From what I recall of that game, he does show up, so he might have made the dungeons.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

And now your strength has greatly increased, with a party of three. Well, as others have said, this game has a lot of charm to it.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

I've seen this game loads of times at my local game store, mainly because I always forget it and when checking the DS titles I see Atlus and get excited!... and then I remember and go meh.

Although this does look better than I thought it would be (gameplay wise; I'm still deciding on how I feel about its art. Meh prolly.) I might actually pick it up if I get tricked by Atlus into noticing it again.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Huh, looks like a charming game. The mechanics are certainly unique.

Dragonatrix posted:

Are you sure? Without a net, you'll definitely have a Slime problem.
You'll see at last one of 'em every single day!
Do you promise? That's great! I definitely don't want the net, then.
Hmm... You're an usual customer, that's for sure. Very well.

I think you got a typo in the 2nd update right about there.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

That I did, like always, yeah. Now I don't though; thanks.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

I play this game about once a year. I complain about the thin plot, stupid dialogue, and repetition every time, and enjoy the heck out of it. It's oddly charming, as long as you like grinding.

It always seems like Blizzard Bombs drop at a much lower rate than Fire Bombs.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I still can't get over the fact that Woody's wife is literally called "Wife".

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
So I'm guessing we accidentally jumped the gun by killing the boss ahead of time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Hello, I am a filler post. Pay me no mind. :v:

(update on the next page)

• Locked thread