Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

I planned to capture and punish him for his misdeeds, but I see that you beat me to it. Thank you!
I hope you continue hunting evil creatures. Let me know if you need anything. I'll help out in any way possible.
-King Leon, the King of the Leons.
(Whoa... The King thanked me. I'll have to work even harder...)

What kind of problem?
I told the Castle about all the Hobgoblins you captured, and do you know what they said?

Well, obviously.
If we can't bring tourists into the dungeon, then let's flip it around.
Let's bring the tourists outside the dungeon! Take the monsters out, and let the tourists view them!
Wouldn't that be dangerous, too...?

All we have to do is stuff some monsters and show them to the tourists!
Oh yeah, that makes sense!
Yes. Yes, it does make sense.
I've even thought about what kind of monster would be ideal for stuffing.
What's more popular than... dinosaurs?!
Dinosaurs...? I don't have any of those in my dungeon.
No? Not even one?
I've never seen any.

I'm sure there are a few in the area. Are you sure you can't lure one into your dungeon?
Do dinosaurs even like to live in dungeons?
Hmm, I'm not sure.
I'll try digging a 3rd floor, but who knows if a dinosaur will show up or not...

Alright, so there's what we have to do this time. Build the third floor to lure in a dinosaur that is probably made of fire. Sounds kinda cool to me.

So, let's see what we can get from the Furniture store to make this happen.

Yeah, she insisted on coming...
So you buy rooms here and arrange them in your dungeon? Hmm...
Do you have any... cute rooms!?
Of course! I have just the thing for a pretty girl like you! A lovely Flower Garden!

That sounds great!
You positively must try it out!
We won't be needing those scarecrows...
Are you sure?! You'll be inundated with cat monsters without them!
Taking care of cat monsters is my job.
I need the monsters to show up, so I can get some armor for women...

Flower Gardens are super expensive, jeez. At least it's 3x3 to make up for it, I suppose.

Since we're just making the rounds right now, we really, really should check into the Magic store...

Because Kate starts with no magic whatsoever. And since she's primarily a spellcaster, that's not a good thing.

Mister! Do you have any magic I could use for sale?
Magic for you to use? What type of magic do you prefer? Nice or naughty?
What are you talking about?! I'm asking you if you sell magic or not!
I know.

The boy uses nice magic, but in your case...I think naughty magic is more suitable. Am I wrong?
Of course you're wrong! I'm a super nice girl!
Well, if that's what you want... You're probably right.
If you follow my suggstions, you won't be able to use recovery or sleep magic...
Of course, you'll be able to burn or freeze the enemy instead...
I don't know if that's your thing or not, but I've got fire magic, if you want it.
Oh, in that case...!

(But she's always fighting...)

Needless to say, we're going to be buying Burn even though it's a bit on the expensive side. It's a bit mean of the game to make it Kate's only available spell when we now have to deal with a very obvious fire boss.

Sorta curious as to what's on the gate at this point...

Alright, that's enough of that. We're kitted out, have spells, new rooms. Let's get to work.

dungeon, now... Heh heh...!

On the way down, figured we'd clear out some of the trash to recoup expenses immediately, get more ingredients etc. and one of the Spooks dropped their hat.

It's not great on defence, but it boosts ATK to make it more worthwhile. I'unno, I kinda like using it at least.

Aside from that, there's nothing left to the first two floors that I can think of. So we'll begin to dig out on the third floor; sticking the Flower Garden right by the entrance so we move through it everytime from now on.

Mostly because for the moment we we want to go towards the top-right corner.

So, two new enemies. Humanosaurs are dinosaur-men that will mess us up if we fight them head on right now. Fireslimes are, uh, slimes made of fire.

Really wishing I had that Blizzard Bomb right now.

Instead, Holy Light is our best bet and it still takes two to drop one.

At least they drop a new cooking ingredient.

It's not just any Slime. It's Fireslime.
Oh! So that's what Fireslime looks like...
You can eat them cooked, you know. Tastes great with Potatoes.

Yeah, so, now that we have the ability to get Fireslime, there's no reason to bother with normal Dry Slime. It's not used in anything but the one recipe we have for it, and that's just this one but with 1 less Constitution.

(Hmm?)
(Hey, isn't that the girl who sells vegetables? She's headed into the town square.)

(And slurping it...)
*slarp slarp slarp!* I'm a fire-eating bug! I love eating fire!
(A fire-eating bug...?)
*slurp slurp!* *slarp slarp!* A fire-eating bug, flying into fire!
(A bug, flying into fire? Sounds like the Flamesaurus... It loves following the fire...)

As weird and sudden as that was, that's the trigger we needed to make another new room available.

We could've gotten this a day early by just talking to the girl at the fountain but eh.

A comfortable bed for monsters? Or perhaps a Feed Barrel to feed those hungry beasties?
I need... fire.
What?
Do you have something with a burning flame?

Yes, put a row of them in; give them a try! Go on, go on!

Needless to say, we're going to need a lot of Fireplaces down before we can make the boss spawn. 10 actually isn't even enough to do it.

Also the Magic store has something new in as well, without any hoops to jump through first this time.

You need it, don't you? I know I do. Sometimes I like to eat food with poison...
Sometimes, a dish looks just too tasty, and I can't help taking a bite.
You should... take care of yourself better...?

It's actually a little better than "removes poison," since it removes stuff like stun as well.

Anyway, Flower Gardens are mostly inhabited by Warcats and Forked Cats. The latter are more annoying because they like to heal if given the chance.

But, well, Kate doesn't grant them their one chance. Burn just oneshots them from full health.

At least they're kind enough to drop a new hat.

It's actually quite good for the moment, though being a tiara only Gloop and Kate can wear it.

Altars give us Hot Spooks on this floor. They're mostly identical to regular spooks but, well, hot.

They're still cripplingly weak to Holy Light so it doesn't really matter though.

They don't give us any new ingredient (same tart as normal spooks) but they do give us some new armour.

It's a good defensive boost and adds some fire resistance. Very nice to get so quickly.

Another thing Forked Cats can drop is their bow. It's the first bow...

And it's a nice upgrade to put Kate's weapon better than our sword.

Oh, right. It has to be Kate; Owen can't use bows.

North of the garden, we're gonna build these little enclaves with some fireplaces in. They're good to farm for food and/or weapons, and we DO need ~12 of them placed anyway.

This is why they are absolutely terrified of the Flamesaurus. If you defeat the Flamesaurus, you can be sure that the otter monsters will go on a rampage.
Maybe I'm worrying too much about this. Well, now you know. Keep this in mind...
-Your Friend, King Leon
(Hm, it makes sense... What should I do, then?)
(Maybe I should just forget about the Flamesaurus...)

Hrm, decisions, decisions. Ah well, the easiest way to decide to deal with this is to just take care of monsters until the problem solves itself.

(I can never tell what he's talking about...)
We'll need Blizzard Bombs. Without those, we'll have a tough time fighting fire monsters!
You! Wait right there, Dungeon Digger!

Please, leave it in the town, along with that Apple Viper Leaf!
You want to show it to the tourists, right?

Hmmm, fascinating... If I put this next to a stuffed Flamesaurus, it'll be a hit...
Oh yes! I looked into something for you!

Well... Wouldn't it be fire?
Er... Uh...
So if we put lots of Fireplaces on the third floor, wouldn't that attract it?
Yeah, that's the ticket! You always know what you're talking about!
But I got a letter from King Leon with all sorts of advice...
You mean the otter monsters... Don't worry about it. Just get that Flamesaurus!
Are you sure?
I'm worried about world peace, you know, but I hear those

That's it, then. *ahem*
After you defeat the Flamesaurus... for the sake of world peace..

I'll give you a stuffing spell!
All right...

Running down to the third floor and a miracle finally happened. How nice of it to give us this just in time for it to be put to use.

See, Fireplaces let us fight Firepigs and Humanosaurs.

Firepigs are obviously weak to Ice, so that Blizzard Bomb came at the best moment.

They also have a chance to Chill things. And whenever something is chilled, its physical damage output plummets like a rock.

I'm sure someday a Humanosaur will get to demonstrate why they're actually kinda relatively deadly, but that day is not today. Also we stole his axe.

The Hand Axe is a fantastic upgrade for Owen. Naturally, Kate cannot use this one.

Humanosaurs can also drop Gold Coins along with various other pieces of equipment.

They, um. They're just there to sell, but with a price like that I don't mind as much.

This might just be me, but I'm beginning to notice a bit of a pattern here.

Oh, good morning.
(Here we go again...)

No prizes for guessing where we're getting this one. At least we don't need to buy a new room to pull it off this time.

All right.
(Yup, here we go again.)
It's tasty in a saute... I want to try it out.
Okay.

It's kinda funny how quickly this turned into being relatively small. On the one hand, yeah, it's as much as a Silver Coin. On the other hand, we now have over 10,000G. And that's a pretty common and consistent thing from this floor onwards too.

(I've sure learned a lot about gourmet food by hanging out with that guy from the Magic Shop.)

Since we don't need any new rooms, we can put our relatively high amount of money into buying the stuff we actually need. How nice.

Oh, and the gate actually gets updated after the Mayor's little speech last time as well. Might not normally think about something as small as that.

That Flamesaurus can spit lava out of his mouth, so make sure your armor is strong against fire!
There's armor that's strong against fire?

There are also Fireslimes. Did you realise that Slimes have rings?
They swallow the rings, and since they can't dissolve metal, they carry them around.
That's why Fireslimes carry rings that are strong against fire around with them.
Look for Fireslimes and other fire monsters and see what you can find!

Yeah, great, so in case it wasn't already obvious from the name and general dungeon design requirement, the Flamesaurus uses Fire attacks. Gonna have to get resistance to that for everyone, and this chest has something that can help with that...

The Ruby Ring is the same ring that Fireslimes can drop, so if we can get it here instead that's a nice bonus. Meh defence, but +10 resistance to Fire.

The Striking Ring is mediocre and merely increases the chance to inflict Stun on things. Presuming, of course, you are using a weapon that CAN Stun in the first place.

There's also Gold Coins in here, making up the last of our common 3 items.

Our requisite good pieces of equipment are a new shield for Owen. It's just a slight upgrade over the one he has now, so it's the best one available at least.

We'll get the other one in a bit, but first Forked Cat being a bigger threat than its meant to be. At least it only poisons one person and we can cure it without leaving now.

They're also kind enough to give Gloop his second spell. Being able to have him heal in some way now is going to be very useful, to be sure.

But, hey, Humanosaurs get to do things now. And they will do them often. 12 damage might not sound like much, but that's still more than everything else can do and we still don't exactly have 60HP or anything.

Their bodyparts are very nice upgrades for Gloop at least. Taking this and some arms so Gloop can use an axe of his own.

More importantly is that Humanosaurs can do this. We can too with axes, or their arms, but its much more efficient when they do it.

It outdamages their normal attack, and even the previous bosses best move... AND hits everyone for good measure. And when you're fighting 3 of them, if they all do it, someone's probably dropping.

They don't take as much damage from our spells as you'd think, so the best thing to do is put 'em to sleep. That way, we can drop them one by one.

Also gonna stick a field on this floor as well. Taterbombs don't give anything new, but we don't get Pigboars at all here. Firepigs replace them entirely. Having more opportunities to get their delicious meats is gonna be handy.

First, make your dungeon big enough for 40 to 50 monsters, as deep as the third floor.
Make sure you have 12 or 13 Fireplaces!
If you don't get a Magic Hole, even though you have a three-floor dungeon...
Well, your dungeon might still be too small, or maye you don't have enough fireplaces yet!

Don't really get much done on this excursion, but at least we pick up two pieces of Firepig. Also start to fix up the general layout a little, to make it easier to get tarts/slime with minimal effort.

Yep.
Good... Saute the meat. Roast Firepig works best. Its delicious when roasted.
Wow...
(Not that I was asking or anything.)

What?
I want lots of Firepig Saute, so please find me one more Roast Firepig.
I'll be waiting!

What? Oh, you had another one? Thanks! I'm overjoyed!
Sure.
I'll be eating Firepig Saute tonight, with Potatoes on the side!
Sounds fun.
How could it not be?
Ah yes...
Huh?

It's magic Olive Oil. You use this to polish your shovel, right? Here, you can have it...

We don't actually get any new spells this time around. Instead, we get this. I think that's a fair enough trade and we did get 2 new spells just from general progress anyway.

Just gonna go straight home to polish our Shovel. This time, Kate IS right there as Owen does it.

More importantly, wouldn't you know it? The Firepig completely invalidates the Pigboar here as well (mostly; we'll still actually want the Pigboar meat later). Granted this time the difference is in the HP but that's still enough to make it flatout better.

Back in the hole, we get the Hot Spook's head and pick up a new spell for Gloop. Costs some MP and Wisdom in comparison to our Forked Cat, but I'm sure we can make that up later.

Speaking of stuff we can make up for, the last item from the 3rd floor chest is a new staff for Kate.

It's better than the bow in pretty much everyway, but both kinda presume she'll be attacking with her normal attack. A risky proposition to be sure.

Also Humanosaurs can drop our first piece of proper full-on body armour. Naturally, this can only be worn by Owen (and Gloop with the right body parts).

It has more defence than the Hot Robe so we'll use it for general excursions, but the Hot Robe is ultimately better for this floor.

And Forked Cats can make up for the exclusivity of that by giving up a dress for Kate.

It's actually even better than the armor, but suffers from the same issue of not giving Fire resistance. So, better overall but worse for the moment.

Ah well, at last we've finally made it to the top right corner. This is where the one hidden treasure on this floor is located.

It's even more armor exclusive to Kate (and also Gloop sometimes).

Best helmet she can wear and gives an astounding +30 Fire resistance. The Hot Spooks can drop a hat that Owen can wear to sort of make up the difference but it's not as good and much rarer than you'd think.

But with the tiara in hand, we can slam down our last 3 Fireplaces and finally finish up making the dungeon. Now we just need to make a path to the spawn point in the top-left corner.

You can tell when you have enough Fireplaces, because after the next fight/upon re-entering the next day/opening and closing the menu/what have you, the floor turns red. This doesn't necessarily mean you have enough rooms to make the Flamesaurus spawn, but you've got the "harder" part done at least.

Also for the first time ever, on the way out we hit the item limit! I know, I'm shocked too.

But yeah, so come back next day and the Flamesaurus is here. Still haven't quite finished the path to it though.

We were at least reasonably close, so fighting it right now is...

What we aren't going to do. It would burn us alive. Kinda need more fire resistant gear first.

Like this. Didn't actually have any before now, so we're gonna take this, the tiara, the robe and duplicate them all to have enough to kit everyone out with maximum fire resistance.

Owen gets 2 rings and the robe. That ups his resistance a decent amount, but without the hat from the HotSpook he is at the most danger here.

Both Kate and Gloop get the same as Owen, but can add the tiara to push them to 80.

Flamesaurus

So, who was expecting it to be a Stegasaurus? No one? Yeah, me neither.

Hey, this isn't the time to stare and gawk! It's coming right at us!
You're right. We'd better fight it!
...Still, I wish we could look at it a little while longer...

So, Gloop has our highest strength and with the best weapon available barely cracks 5% of this dude's health. We might be here a while.

Owen's better suited to throwing down Holy Lights again, since they're more effective than his contributions with the axe.

And Kate's gonna throw Blizzard Bombs every turn. The dino isn't weak to ice, but he is borderline immune to fire so she can't really do much else.

Plus this way there's a chance to chill him for a turn or two. Always helps when it drops his physical damage by a mile.

The problem is this. It's his best move, and he will spam it from the word go. And since it counts as a spell, its damage is unaffected when he gets chilled.

Naturally, it hits REALLY hard and hits everyone. And this damage is with our elemental resistance to boot. Yeah, it's quite the nasty blow.

His other big move is also fairly mean, albeit in a different way.

Not the damage, of course. That's nothing, and on that metric this is his least threatening move. Even with being a multi-target attack.

No, the problem is that it has a chance of inflicting Stun. And it's rolled for everyone. So it's totally possible for this one attack to stun everyone simultaneously.

Mostly, it's just a matter of keeping HP up and not taking any unnecessary risks. His damage output with the lava is consistent, so once you get hit by it once that tells you your margin for error.

End

This time around, this happens with no fanfare whatsoever. Just gonna take it as a given from now on, then.

You've created a Stuffed Saurus!

He's not wrong. Now that we've got our very own taxidermied dinosaur, we can rake in all the tourist money world peace laurels or whatever.

Also Owen can stare longingly at it forever now, just like he wanted.

So, uh, how about that fourth floor?

There's groundwater seeping out of the walls...
This'll be a great floor for monsters that like water and the cold... Like otters and you know...!

Just gonna do some basic set-up stuff again. Nothing too major for the time being; don't have the rooms for it really. Sorta forgot to stock up on them. :v:

Did you defeat the Flamesaurus? And did you stuff it yet?!
Well, yehah... Here it is...
Nice work! Now I can get some tourists to visit this town!

It's amazing how she actually believed that blatant lie, geez.

Of course! And now that the world is at peace, we can get some tourists in here, right?
But now some otter monsters may go on a rampage...
Oh yes, you mentioned that. I'm sure you're up to the task of taking care of one or two otters!

Nice work. I'll give you a little token of appreciation from the town!

All right, I have to go now!
Huh...

That is a very good question, and it's one who's answer will have to wait.

It's sort of entwined with that of another question anyway, and it's an equally obvious one. Just how badly did we mess things up?

I get the feeling those otters aren't going to be of the cute and cuddly variety, considering the way the King was talking about them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I dunno what it is, but every time I see the Mayor, I just wanna punch him in that fat, insufferably smug face of his.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Kill the Flameasaurus! Let the otters rampage! For world peace! :japan:

:allears:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

W.T. Fits posted:

I dunno what it is, but every time I see the Mayor, I just wanna punch him in that fat, insufferably smug face of his.

That's mild compared to what I'D so to him. Oh god the horrible things i'd do to him...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, so it's bureaucracy. It's bureaucracy that will summon the end boss.

Of course.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

W.T. Fits posted:

I think that's the intended reaction.

venom3053000
Dec 29, 2013
Am sure the otters are cute little creatures that wouldn't hurt a fly

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

This is the correct reaction.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Otters are an unusual choice for a water based monster, since they aren't really monster but pretty cute animal, but on the other hand this is the game where goblins ride enchanted flying clubs, so.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Otters look cute and cuddly, but they're actually incredibly vicious predators. They're an appropriate choice for a monster.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Hey, Dragonatrix, love the LP; one of those few that makes me interested in playing the game personally. :D About how much time have you taken playing the game so far? It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm worried about farming item drops being a core part of the game. I farmed a jagged ghost blade for a level 1 Dark Souls 1 run last year, and it took almost 2 hours to get one (which is absurdly unlucky, if you're not familiar with the game). That was my "never again" moment for that kind of thing, heh.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
At least they're not DUCKS. Oh god the implications THAT would have.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Wayne posted:

About how much time have you taken playing the game so far? It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm worried about farming item drops being a core part of the game.

Up to this point is probably about 5-6 hours or so, but I'm taking things pretty slow so that might not necessarily be representative of most people's time. As for the farming, it kind of is and it isn't; so long as you fight 3 enemies at once, you're virtually guaranteed a drop. This is only really troublesome when you're fighting things with a lot of possible drops and even then you can ignore most of them. Even then, pretty much everything you can get on your most recent floor will be useful in some way.

Really, you can just roll with whatever you get and not have to worry too much about it. Unless, well, you're trying to get absolutely everything.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
I really want to play this game now, because it looks hilarious, but given how many other games I'm currently mired in I doubt I would ever find the time.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Another day, another floor, another problem to solve. I'm sure it's not a big deal.

I've received an announcement from the Castle.

Oh boy...
These are more than just otters. we're talking Otter Warriors here!
A bunch of otters swinging swords. Thousands of 'em. Tens of thousands!
This is not good... We'd better do something.
I've been ordered by the Castle to take responsibility for this mess.

Oh no, what a shame that would be. :geno:

Please, use your dungeon to hunt these Otter Warriors down.
Get rid of every Otter Warrior you find. Every last one of 'em!
All right...
Wait a second! This is all the Mayor's fault!

Well, yeah, but...
Thank you for your help! Really. I mean it!
(Sure...)

So, before we do anything else... none of our usual suspects have anything new to say. No new food-related stuff, no new equipment, no new rooms, nothing. But!

If the daddy pig stumbles, the whole pile tumbles, and they all hit the ground in a smack!
(If the daddy pig stumbles, they all tumble... I wonder if the Otter Warriors are the same?)
(If they are, all I have to do is beat the leader... I wonder who the leader of the otters is?)
(Better ask King Leon...)

So, now one person does have something new to say but we'll deal with that in a moment. First, we'll go back home for a moment.

There... That should be good enough.

That's almost everything we can do now before we go and deal with this new problem. We'll get something out of this letter in a day or two, so we're just killing time until then.

No new rooms to buy, no new spell/food stuff either. That just leaves the equipment store.

H-Hello.
Hey, boy... I have another favor to ask of you. Do you mind?
Sure.

Seashell?
They say that they have the power to resist water magic.
A traveler wants one to protect himself from monsters. So, I thought...
"Who might be able to find one of these rings...?"

No problem...
So you agree to look for a Shell Ring? For me?
Sure, I'll get you one.

That just leaves one last little thing...

Okay, NOW we can go back into the cave.

Amazingly enough, our chest already has something in it. There's no new enemies down here at the moment (only room placed is a Flower Garden) so we'll just see what it contains.

Nunchaku are, much like in real life, a bad weapon that are not worth using ever. They sometimes Stun things and maybe attack every enemy when they feel like it, but they're weaker than our Axe which does the second half as well so whatever.

Bronze Boots are boot upgrades. Very ho-hum, nothing too fancy so we'll grab two/three pairs later. Sapphire Ring is the ice/water equivalent to the Ruby Ring we have plenty of. Get some of them later too.

Silver Ring is new though. It's the first ring that gives a whole two defence points! Does nothing else though, so we'll ignore it forever.

But the one we're going to actually run with for the time being is this. The Scale Mail is a damned good armour upgrade.

"Armour" being the operative word, however, as Kate cannot use this one. Shame too, since its our first piece of equipment that grants double-digit defense.

Come the next day, we get a reply from King Leon. How nice!

Since he knows that he'll be targeted if he comes out into the open, he hides in the shadows. Nowhere are the shadows deeper than in a dungeon like yours!
So build a 4th floor that otters would love. If the Otter Wizard deems your dungeon a good place to hide, then he will definitely make an appearance.
You already know how to make a dungeon that water monsters would enjoy, right?
Your Friend, King Leon.
(Yeah, I'll have to make lots of rooms with water on the 4th floor...)

Rooms with water, huh? Shame we don't exactly have anything like that. Now where can we get something that would work...

A room with water...

the Otter Corps happy?!
True, but... that's what I want.
A dungeon needs to make its monsters happy, or it's not really a dungeon...

So with that little bit of design philosophy in mind, we can now buy Water Sources. They're pretty expensive to say we need a lot of them to finish the floor, yeesh.

Yeah...
(And...?!)
You need to attract water monsters, right? So place Water Sources... but no Fireplaces!
They'll weaken the effect of the water!
If you want to open a Magic Hole on the fourth floor, you'll need 50 to 60 monsters...

Make sure you collect armor that's strong gainst ice and water!
Otherwise, you'll have a lot of trouble fighting against water monsters!

So, basically, this floor is a shameless rehash of the previous one but with water monsters now instead of fire. Sorta feels like they should be switched, since this one is laughably easy considering we got plenty of time to get Fire spells and the like.

Just to really highlight how much filler this floor basically is, the obvious new enemies are just blue reskins.

Complete with requisite Fire weakness, of course, so we can demolish them.

Even the new food is mostly obvious. At least this one technically doesn't completely invalidate the Fireslime already.

...It only mostly does.

And, of course, Cold Spooks are the altars as well. Because obviously they are.

Weak to Fire as well, but Light still absolutely ruins their day moreso. Both oneshot, but Holy Light is still cheaper so its preferable by far.

As you would expect, they do drop the Ice equivalents to their Fire-types drops. So, a robe and a hat for the spook, and a ring we can get from the chest for the slime.

At least the Cold Robe is slightly hardier as well as being more elementally useful.

That's a really refreshing treat, supposedly. Try it in Waterslime Pasta.
Water... slime... pasta...!?
Yeah, you cut it into thin noodles and then boil it.
After it's done boiling, cool it in some cold water and put some Pigboar and Spinach on top.
It's easy to slurp up, even if you don't have an appetite, and it's really good for you.
Wow...

Sounds so good. Soooooooooooo good.
Umm... Do you want me to give it to you?
Really? Are you sure? Well, if you insist...
I do insist...
I'll get some magic for you in return. Thanks, I'll take that...!

So, in theory, this is just the Fireslime but better. Same constitution but with a strength point for good measure. The trick between the two, though, lies in that the Waterslime gives MP whereas the Fireslime gives HP.

Still, that Strength point on top makes it hard to justify using the Fireslime at this point. The HP vs MP aspect is less important than it seems in this particular case, since there's plenty of ways of getting either now. This one is slightly more geared towards helping Kate, of course, but that doesn't really matter.

Anyway, next day!

Thank you for that Waterslime. I've acquired a new Ice Shards spell for you.
Not only does this damage the enemy, it chills them, too.
Chilled enemies have a harder time attacking. Doesn't that sound pretty handy?
Not a bad trade, is it...? Are we even for the Waterslime Pasta, now?

Really?! If someone took food away from me... Well...
I'd be mad at them for at least five or ten years... Maybe more!

As thematic as it is, even the spells seem backward in terms of progression. Ice Shards costs exactly as much as Burn, but is equally effective in general and...

Almost completely worthless on our deepest floor. Because it's a water floor and its a water spell. Also it costs 4MP to Burn's 3 for no reason at all, but that adds up with how low our MP currently is.

At least its useful against the cats, but that's about it right now.

Our first destination here is the bottom-left corner, which is wonderfully simple to get to after the past few. Of course it has the Ice equivalent to our current Tiara.

It's pretty much exactly what you would expect, to be honest. Same defence, but different elemental resistance. Gonna dupe this to get one for Gloop later, of course.

Water Sources have nothing to fight but the Otter Warriors. They're a little hardier than their HP implies, but a Fire attack oneshots them anyway so it doesn't matter to much.

They're also weaker than a lot of things we've fought lately which both makes sense but is kinda weird.

Fortunately for us, they're the only thing around that can drop Shell Rings. Unfortunately, they have a ton of drops possible. A weapon, armour, helmet, boots, that ring and this item. It's a food ingredient, but we need a lot to put it to use so we'll hold off going to talk to the Magic Store guy for the moment.

Also, as you would expect by now, Gloop can snatch Ice Shards from the Cold Spook.

And they drop the one hat we need for Owen too.

The Cold Hat is completely identical to our Hot Hat save for the element. It's the best thing Owen can use here with regards to Ice resistance from a hat/helmet, so it'll have to do.

Might as well talk to this guy again while we remember. No, it's not going to lead to another new quest this time.

Um, I've got some Clam. Do you know how to cook it?

Uh?
Will you give it to me?
Uh, sure. Here...
Thanks... Yum! Okay, I'll tell you.
Okay.
Salt 'em and cook 'em. That's it.
That's... it...?
Yeah. That's it.

Somehow I can't help but feel like we just got hustled.

We also need two of them to make one in the first place. It's like a Spook Tart but way better... with the catch of being much harder to make. Because Otter Warriors do not like dropping them.

Anyway, immediately after re-entering we'll pick up something from that chest. The Bronze Boots are actually a much bigger upgrade than you might have expected; arguably worth snagging more than the Scale Armor at first.

Thankfully, we were even able to get a Shell Ring relatively quickly which is good. Because now the Otters are going to drop their swords far, far, far more often than anything else.

Shell Rings are even the best ring to use at the moment for their resistance, since they give 20 vs the Sapphire Ring's 10.

Although, um, can't really equip it right now. Probably just to be more player friendly when we go and hand it over.

And now it begins. So many Otter Swords. They're not even good for this floor!

A decent damage upgrade in theory, but being water elemental kinda kills their usefulness. Go figure.

Yes, I've got one right here.
Wow... Thank you! I really appreciate this...
It's no problem at all.
Here, why don't you give this a try? I just made it.
You make your own weapons?

Here, please use it. I made it just for you.
Just for me...
(*gulp gulp*)

Hey, a neat new weapon.

It's a little weaker than what we have right now, but it's more suited to the floor. Sadly, its normal attack isn't fire elemental but the extra effect is and procs more often than you'd think.

It does sell for a relatively decent chunk, to say we got it for free and all. Gonna sell it to buy two back, so we've got it duped for both Gloop and Owen to use.

It's not worth a Clam, but I have this Seal magic spell in stock for you to buy, if you want...

Seal is not worth the price at all. It's for Owen, and 3k is way too much for something we could do with Gloop effectively since we first met.

...Still going to buy it though.

Otter Warriors only have one really "threatening" attack, and that's damning with faint praise.

Because, yeah, it hits everyone... but that 6 is the biggest amount of damage it's ever dealt. So, uh, yeah. Not really a threat.

Much like with the previous floor, once we get enough Water Sources placed the floor changes colour after a screen transition. Since it's a water based one this time it goes blue.

Still not done with the actual floor itself, since need more Rank, but we're getting there. For now, let's just steal a shield from the Otters.

It's better than the random crap we've had for ages and grants elemental resistance we want too. How nice!

Farms on this floor have a new enemy to contend with as well. Missile Carrots are, well, giant sentient carrots that fire arrows at us.

Being carrots, they're quite susceptible to being set on fire. Gonna do that quite a lot then.

Naturally, they do drop Carrots quite often. Quite unnecessary, though, since after we get the first one the child at the Square sells them.

Carrots? There are all sorts of different ways to eat them...
But for a girl, I'd recommend Carrot Juice?
You make juice out of one Carrot and use it to wash down a Spook Tart.

I think they're good for a girl's diet, too.
Good for dieting... Hmph!

Technically, the Carrot Juice isn't as good as the Baked Clams. In practice, it's easier to make and does just as good a job. I'd focus more on getting Kate to drink this a lot, with the occasional clam whenever we have the ingredients on hand. But that requires the otters to be co-operative.

Speaking of the otters, one of them dropped his helmet.

It's a helmet in every way. It's okay, I guess, but sticking with the Cold Hat for now.

And one of the carrot-men dropped his bow for Kate.

It's a very nice bow, being the best weapon she can get this floor and it unleashes a chain attack too. Much better than poisoning a thing and dealing a whole 1 point of extra damage now and then.

Throw down enough rooms, and the boss finally turns up. Just took another day or two after grabbing the bow.

Otter Wizard

So, the Otter Wizard. It is an Otter that is also a wizard.

It also has a silly hat that looks like a froggy.

That's right! Let's kick its rear end!
And, uh, Shovel... Why don't you help us out this time, for a change...?
Huh? Wha...? Hey, Shovel!
He's hiding already.
Somehow, I'm not so surprised...

So, the Otter Wizard is, by far, the easiest boss we've fought to date. He's not weak to Fire, but that's fine.

He does resist Ice/Water, though. Makes sense, since he is an otter and all.

He can bonk you over the head with his little staff. And it, uh... it can stun and deal minimal damage.

Hey, look, it's his only good attack.

It's not actually all that threatening at this point. With enough elemental resistance, its damage can be mitigated greatly.

While it can chill, this is a boss fight so we just throw spell after spell after spell. Which is completely unaffected by being chilled.

Owen even actually ends up being our hardest hitter here, since Holy Light is cheaper than Burn but just as effective. It's only 1MP less, true, but it adds up.

This also means we get to relegate Gloop to healing duties while Owen just blasts the wizard until it dies.

It doesn't take very long at all.

End

All right... Victory is ours! We can prove that we beat the leader of the Otters, now!

Plus the requisite item bag increase for good measure.

No dialogue about our new floor this time. Mustn't be anything special.

Ah well, we'll just get started the same as always. Throw down our chest by the entrance...

And put an altar a little bit further up. Altars are a bit different on this floor. You'll see!

Hey... Do you think this will end the war?
Of course!
We're going to be heroes!
Errr... If you say so...
But it's all the Mayor's fault, you know.
Do you think the guys at the Castle will forgive him?

Huh?
It's causing nothing but problems.
The Mayor has his stuffed Flamesaurus, so that should be enough to generate tourism here.
We don't really need a dangerous dungeon anymore.
Good point...

Yep. I think that will end this war.
Oh, what a relief! Now I can use the dungeon to drum up tourism without any worries!

What... What are you saying?! Aren't you thinking of world peace?
That's just why we decided there's no more need for a dangerous dungeon.
We want to get rid of it for the sake of world peace!
Do you have any idea how many monsters you've beaten in that dungeon?
That dungeon is the reason you were able to hunt down so many dangerous beasts!

I wonder...
The town is prepared to provide you with some... dungeon building funds!

This sounds like a lot, but we have almost 50,000 already and this'll barely get us one room now. So, uh, thanks??

And here! Olive Oil! Use it to polish your cute, little shovel!

This is more useful, though, definitely.

Anyway, take the night off. Think it over. Think carefully...
Are you sure you want to bury a dungeon that was good enough to save the world?!
Hmm...

Yeah, we should think carefully through the night. Who knows what could come up in the interim?

But I understand what the Mayor's saying, too...
What do you mean? All the Mayor cares about is making money.
It's the job of the soldiers from the Castle to defend the peace!
Their... job...?
We have our own job to do.
My job is to dig dungeons.

I don't really remember...
Let's look for another job.
I'll talk to the Mayor tomorrow and tell him you're tired of working as a Dungeon Digger.

Also got this to do for good measure. +10MP is a very nice upgrade, alright.

Yeah, so, decided to finally give Owen some decent Wisdom to be useful in boss fights. It worked out quite well, I think. He does need more Speed and Strength now, though. Speed espcially is hard to get right now, since the only recipe we have for it is the Crowbat Leg from floor 1 still.

Kate just gets to keep on being Kate. She needs more Speed as well, but for the moment we'll just keep boosting that Wisdom and Con as she laughs at everything.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 12, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Dragonatrix posted:

Since he knows that he'll be targeted if he comes out into the open, he hides in the shadows. Nowhere are the shadows deeper than in a dungeon like yours!
So build a 4th floor that otters would love. If the Otter Wizard deems your dungeon a good place to hide, then he will definitely make an appearance.
You already know how to make a dungeon that water monstrs would enjoy, right?

Dragonatrix posted:

the Otter Corps hapy?!
True, but... that's what I want.
A dungeon needs to make its monsters happy, or it's not really a dungeon...

Noticed those as I was reading.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Why even polish the shovel again when the game is obviously over in the next update.

And we really need a new page here..

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is this game based on the main character following everything a clearly selfish major tells him to, then fixing their mistakes by murdering even more beings? Because jesus, if this continues this way Owen's going to cause quite a few extintions in a very short amount of time. Not to mention he's already ruining the ecosystem.

Is this all worth it, Owen? Is the money worth it? The oil?!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is this game based on the main character following everything a clearly selfish major tells him to, then fixing their mistakes by murdering even more beings? Because jesus, if this continues this way Owen's going to cause quite a few extintions in a very short amount of time. Not to mention he's already ruining the ecosystem.

Is this all worth it, Owen? Is the money worth it? The oil?!

It's his job, after all.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm a little worried about the effect all this dungeon digging is having on Owen's sense of identity. He even signs his letter to the King of Leons "the Dungeon Digger".

The king is quite a bro, though.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

drat it Owen, your pet slime isn't as malleable as you are. Have a bloody opinion.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm a little worried about the effect all this dungeon digging is having on Owen's sense of identity. He even signs his letter to the King of Leons "the Dungeon Digger".

The king is quite a bro, though.
Maybe being a dungeon digger is really prestigious or something. Also, does the King of Leons even know his name?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

paradoxGentleman posted:

drat it Owen, your pet slime isn't as malleable as you are. Have a bloody opinion.

The kid's only 12. Give him a break! :v:

This game is pretty charming. Hopefully the Mayor gets what's coming to him.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Aw, otters are cute.

Murder them all. :black101:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Nondevor posted:

The kid's only 12. Give him a break! :v:

This game is pretty charming. Hopefully the Mayor gets what's coming to him.

Wait, he's twelve?
Why was a 12 years old worried about finding a job?
Why is a 12 years old being sent into an underground lair to dig it out and fight monsters in it

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait, he's twelve?
Why was a 12 years old worried about finding a job?
Why is a 12 years old being sent into an underground lair to dig it out and fight monsters in it

Because :japan:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The shovel must be a cursed object that makes anyone who picks it up want to dig dungeons. :colbert:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
To be fair, I want to dig dungeons and I don't even have a cursed shovel.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

For all that this game is a weird mess of standard tropes, I do want to say that I like that they flipped the standard RPG roles, so that our protagonist is the relatively passive and gentle healy-priest type, and that the childhood girl friend is the pushy one who gets the aggressive magic. And that she seems to be the only one who recognizes that this whole thing is a little bit nuts.

[edit] Also, Dragonatrix, you've gotten me to take Omega Ruby out of my 3DS for the first time in months to restart this, congratulations.

KillerEggplant fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 13, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It makes a little sense to introduce you to elements with a map where you can't really take advantage of a weakness. Because afterwards you get to see how much better you do when you hit one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nah its pretty stuck to RPG cliches.
The hero is your toolbox mage with good physical attack. i.e standard JRPG paladin fare.
The girl is either the white mage or the magical glass cannon.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Also, isn't the whole "headstrong girl drags the mellow main character into action" a really common anime trope? This game is pretty anime.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Almost everything that;s standard is a common trope by now, be it one way or taking the opposite, both will have been done repeatedly.

As long as it is interesting... not bad how everything is conveniently about digging an even deeper dungeon...

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 13, 2015

Nuffkins
Apr 20, 2014

Alavaria posted:

As long as it is interesting... not bad how everything is conveniently about digging an even deeper dungeon...

The overall premise works. The details don't. People wouldn't ask about Kate fitting tropes if she weren't riddled with them and boring.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Well, we beat the last boss for the King so it makes sense he sent us a letter.

Actually, there's a favour I'd like to ask of you.
There's another dungeon near the town of North Cliff. An evil wizard used to live in that dungeon's fifth floor, but I defeated him.
But now, there's a problem. The wizard had been guarded by a single Golem, and that Golem escaped!

Ironsides was ordered to defend the fifth floor of a dungeon, so if your dungeon reaches this depth, I think it just might take up residence there.
Would you mind taking care of Ironsides?
Your Friend, King Leon.

Well, looks like we know what our goal for this floor would be. But, well, we might just not deal with this any more. Kate did kind of want us to quit...

You've decided to continue digging your dungeon for the sake of the town, right?
Umm... about that... Actually...
Actually...?
That is...
Oh, would you just spit it out?! Here, I'll say it for you. Outta the way!

Um! Is that right?!
Let's start out by making the fifth floor incredibly luxurious.
It'll be even better than that dungeon in North Cliff!
What? There's another dungeon in North Cliff? It's got five floors? This will not do!

Mr. Mayor!!!
Uh, yes?!
We build our dungeon to defeat monsters. Developing the local economy isn't our goal!
Keep that in mind, okay?!

New music in mind, we can get on with our new excursion. First, though, if we want to follow Kate's advice then we will need some new rooms I reckon. Don't have much in the way of luxury right now.

Some people say you're trying to make the best dungeon in the world. Is that right?!

None of them are paying me for their rooms, but I guess you're right...
Be sure to use this Fancy Bed.
Even magic-using monsters will want to move in when they see this!

Fancy Beds are a fair bit more expensive than their lesser brethren. What doesn't help is that, once again, we need a fair few of them.

On its own, not a problem, but we can only get 5 now and then 2 a day for the remainder. This is the biggest timesink with this floor, since it makes it take longer than it feels like it should.

Huh? For what?
I decided to continue my work as a Dungeon Digger, too.
I thought you'd be mad, so I couldn't come out and say it.
Wait were you thinking all this time that I wanted to quit being a Dungeon Digger!?
Huh? Well, I mean, you...

You only just yelled at him a bunch last night over it.

You've been wanting to continue, right? So that's that!

Thanks... I'll do my best...

Alright, so new enemy from the Fields. Crowcats are our replacements for the Crowbats in basically every way. It took long enough, huh?

They're not very strong, at all. All they can really do is a basic attack that inflicts Sleep but does no damage at all.

They DO have a basic attack that does deal damage, but it's thoroughly unremarkable so whatever.

They also give Gloop the Sleep spell, which is going to be very useful.

They have more drops than their lesser bat cohorts, but their pelts are just free money so it works out nice either way.

Altars now have dropped Spooks for armored skellingtons. Bone Fighters aren't all that big of a threat...

And Holy Light still demolishes them without issue.

Oh, good morning.
If I say I wanna eat something again, will you mutter, "Here we go again," AGAIN?
Yeah.

Here we go again.
They're great in stews, you know. I just can't seem to find any for sale anymore.
So I'm counting on you to find me a fresh supply...

(Wow, 700 Gilberts... He sure is generous when it comes to food...)

We're not really doing these for the money, so this being small is kind of a non-issue. We don't even need new rooms or anything for this.

Well, even King Leon had to let him go...
Yeah! But no!
Well, which is it...?
Ironsides is amazingly strong! You'd better put together your own suit of iron, too!

Oh god, Warriors...

Warriors?
Yeah, monsters that only care about fighting! Think of some way to attract Warriors.
Go to the Furniture Shop and ask if they have any rooms that Warriors might appreciate!

We're going to have to go back eventually... and that armour does sound nice...

Do you have a room to attract warriors?

A Dojo? Ah yes! Young master, a Dojo is a place where warriors train!
If you put one in your dungeon, you'll be sure to attract warriors!
You may have a little trouble fighting all of them, but why not try one and see what happens?!
The stronger the opponent, the better the rewards...

That's not necessarily true, because we don't get EXP from these things. Only reason to fight enemies on deeper floors is more for drops than anything else.

Anyway, dojos are super extensive. They're another 3x3 room, but with the caveat of having only one entrance this time. We'll just buy one for the time being.

They look cool, though. Shame we can't take the weapons and armor that decorate the room, because that'd make them a bit TOO good.

Fancy Beds give us paletteswaps of the old Warcats. Black Warcats are just regular Warcats but stronger. They have the same attacks and everything.

Wizardrills are spellslingers who prioritise Light elemental stuff, and the very first one gives Gloop the Holy Light spell. This is going to help demolish multiple Bone Fighters in a single round now.

And they drop Light Bombs too, just so Kate can be useful as well.

...Mostly because they're hardy guys and aren't as effected by Fire as you'd think. Ice is just as ineffective.

Their bodies are really good for Gloop, though. The Con boost is nice, especially, since it lets Gloop be just a little behind Owen and Kate.

Also the first Crowcat this time around drops its tail. We actually get 3 before we're done with the floor.

Don't worry about it.
For a Dungeon Digger, you sure collect a lot of food.

Also because we kind of need a ton of food to increase our stats. Plus he only asks for one new thing every floor.

I'll be waiting for the next one, then.
What, again?!

All right. Here you go.
Oh, hey, you already had another one? Way to be prepared. I'll take that, then.
Sure...

That'd be useful, wouldn't it, Dungeon Digger?

Almost as if it knew how to deal with our speed problem now, the Stew works well for that. 3 ingredients are easy to gather (Crow Legs are the only Crowbat drop and we can buy Potatoes and Carrots), and we'll have plenty of Tails over time too. The MP increase is a nice bonus.

Hey, how have you been surviving without it all this time? Don't you know how to be prepared...?
(How can we be prepared if you don't keep it sitting out on your shelves...?)

Heal All is surprisingly cheap for what it does. It's flat-out better than Heal in every way. Guaranteed to heal more and heals everyone at once? Only thing that puts it less than absolutely perfect is it costs 10MP to use.

...So, in the Dojo we have Humanosaurs, Hobgoblins and Black Warriors. The Warriors are really powerful and might actually pose a serious, major threat.

For reference, this is their basic attack.

So, uh, the easiest way to deal with these guys is to cast Sleep until it hits all of the warriors.

This is a bad thing. Their Warrior Slash is really, really strong and lethal.

Reminder, their basic attack dealt 20 to Gloop. Gloop has noticeably lower defence than Owen.

Yeah... these guys are nasty!

...Their arms are really good for Gloop, though. Especially since it gives their Warrior Slash skill.

Naturally, they can drop a piece of Iron equipment for every relevant slot. As a matter of course, Kate cannot use the vast majority of it.

The Iron Helm is one of the least exciting ones at this point, since its a small upgrade. And getting it from the Black Warrior is a bit of a disappointment, since the Bone Fighters can also drop it.

The Black Warcats at least partially make up for Kate's inability to use the Iron stuff.

The Halter is a wonderful upgrade over the dress we picked up not too long ago, and all. Naturally, it's a Halter so Owen can't use this one either.

And then the Wizardrill dropped a bow for Kate.

It's main draw is being Light elemental, but it doesn't help with the Bone Fighters as much as it seems it should. Her lacking Strength is part of that though.

The Warcat gives Gloop the Cure spell as well. So many new spells this floor!

And then it drops its knife as well.

It's a minor increase over the Otter Sword, but nothing super-super amazing. The poison effect is pretty meh.

In the top-left corner, we find a new ring. Despite its name, it's not that bad.

It's not that good either, but +4 defence is nice to have. Not gonna use it though. It doesn't have any negative effects or anything like that, though.

A Warrior gives up his shield. Another piece to add to Owen's necessary collection.

It's also quite a nice upgrade over the Shell Shield as well. Gonna have to get a second for Gloop at some point; probably just sell this one.

Another Black Warrior dropped a new ring. This one is not very good, unfortunately.

The special attack increase is alright in a few places, but mostly not very useful or effective. Might give one to Kate at some point so she can do stuff if she runs out of MP.

Also, the treasure chest is full now. We'll take the spear for now and worry about the rest of its contents later.

To say this is the second spear, it's very good. Definitely gonna use this with Owen for the moment.

So, a small thing before we continue working on the fifth floor is that the Black Warriors have... this in their Monster Guide entry. For everything else, that bottom area lists (most of) their drops. Not the case here for some reason.

More important, the chest we placed on the fifth floor's been filled again. Let's clear out the remaining four possibilities.

It's mostly just stuff we've already seen, though. If we never got that Ring of Light way back on the first floor, this would be the earliest we could get it. Yeaaaaah.

The Tiara of Light is exactly what you would expect at this point. It's also the only one worth our time other than a second spear or something.

So, those Black Warriors have a really good sword. They're normally reluctant to drop them at all.

I'd have been okay with just the one, but two dropped in a row.

Not much of an offensive upgrade over the Long Spear, but their special attack being A Ton Of Damage makes them the best weapon we can get. Of course, Kate is stuck with the bow from the Wizardrill.

Speaking of swords, the Bone Fighters can drop the one with the best name.

It's not a super-good weapon or anything, it's actually a bit of a step back at this point. The seal effect is also sort of underwhelming.

The Black Longsword is really, really ridiculously good. It's major overkill when its effect procs. And it will very, very often.

Another new drop from a Wizardrill is this Magic Potion. I think we got one back on the third floor from a Forked Cat, but I don't remember it happening. Anyway, they restore 50MP to someone. More than enough for a full restore right now.

...And sometimes I forget what I am doing and accidentally kill the Black Warriors first. I should pay more attention at times.

Something not immediately obvious that the fifth floor will change colours as well. Unlike the previous two, it doesn't do it when we have enough of the right room placed though. This one happens when we've hit all the requirements for Ironsides to turn up.

With that, we need to setup for the fight. Which means all the Iron stuff for both Owen and Gloop, whatever we can manage for Kate, an Attack Ring for both Owen and Gloop and light protection for everyone. You'll see.

With all that done, we can come back the next day to meet the golem.

Ironsides

And he looks a bit like the Tinman from Wizard of Oz. I'm not the only one that thinks that, am I?

Sure looks tough...
Do you think we can beat it with these weapons?
Maybe... There's only one way for you guys to find out!
Focus on just staying alive somehow, until you do a special attack!
You're kidding me, right...?

So, Ironsides is actually a difficult fight for once. Sometimes. This is his strongest move, but he doesn't use it all that often.

Which is both good and bad. Bad because it's really cool as he hits everyone with sweet eye-lasers. Good because it hurts really, really hard. And we can't stack as much Light resistance as everything else.

...He's also very, very durable. Every single (normal) attack is almost assuredly going to deal 1 damage without some insane grinding. And since he has over 200HP, you might think this is going to take a while.

Doubly so when even Kate's spells are still single-digit damage. Owen's Holy Light is just 1 hit point of damage, but for the MP cost. Because obviously Ironsides resists Light.

His basic attack is just as useless as ours, thankfully. Well, for the most part.

It can Stun though. And it just about always will, even with our Iron Helm. The Stun is one of the harder parts of the fight.

Good thing is Gloop's Warrior's Strike can hit for almost 20 damage when it happens. It can also be another sub-10 hit.

And then there's this. This is technically his second most effective attack, but its the one he uses most often in the end.

It's a little weaker than his Piercing Light, but it's not Light elemental so it will hit Kate harder. It's also got a very high Stun rate, so it can help facilitate our defeat easier.

The Attack Rings and decently high chance of the Black Longsword's special combine to make the fight bearable. Especially when Owen and Gloop pull it off back-to-back.

Two of them makes the fight super-easy. Three is a straight up win. One makes it semi-bearable but still very tedious, and if it never happens then you will probably cry of boredom.

End

He was tough, but old Ironsides is now just a pile of scrap!
Do you think people will want to see it?
Of course! Even King Leon couldn't get his hands on this scrap!

You should write your name on it...!
Here, allow me to do the honors.

There we go...!
That's not quite my name...

Also it was totally Kate that defeated it.

Anyway, that's five floors down. Let's go see what's waiting on the sixth!

This'll be another floor for some fire monsters...

You know the drill with this by now. Chest by the stairs, other rooms a little further out. The field is very important for something later, but it'd be better one more to the right. Ah well.

...And, of course, NOW the Wizardrill drops its robe at last. When I don't really need it any more. :sigh:

Would've been nicer for Ironsides in case he used his Piercing Light attack more often. As is, we'll just sell it and move on.

No point going to see the Mayor, since this was ultimately nothing to do with that guy. We could go start the sixth floor's sidequest now, but that can wait until later.

Hey, King Leon is a king, right?
Isn't he as important as the human king who lives in the Castle?
Aren't you important too, since you're his friend?

Not really...
But you did work for the King, so doesn't that make you kind of important?
At least as important as, say, the King's cook.

Maybe it comes from how you do your work.
Why...? Do you want to be important?
Not really. What about you?
Meh... not really.
Oh, then don't worry about it.

Not a particularly great reward, huh? Ah well, no point worrying about that now.

Instead, need to worry about what we're going to eat going forward. Running very low on ingredients at this point. Probably gonna farm up some during 6th floor shenanigans.

Speaking of which, as nice as "build dungeon, improve tourism!" is as a goal, it doesn't leave much room for an overarching plot. How about we finally change that?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
This game is pretty neat, but possibly tedious. I do love some of the monster designs though.

I would say Ironsides looks like The Big O personally.

Image:

http://apollo-na-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/1430101340944/2458.jpg

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Zushio posted:

This game is pretty neat, but possibly tedious. I do love some of the monster designs though.

Image:

http://apollo-na-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/1430101340944/2458.jpg

Yeah, given that arm movement and the eye beams it's definitely supposed to be reminiscent of Big O.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

paradoxGentleman posted:

Also, isn't the whole "headstrong girl drags the mellow main character into action" a really common anime trope? This game is pretty anime.

That's not a girl, that's a shovel.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Zushio posted:

Oh yeah, I can kind of see that. I think that's probably more likely the intended result, if it's meant to be reminiscent of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't think I would like playing this, but it definitely makes for an enjoyable LP.

• Locked thread