Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schir
Jan 23, 2012

I think it was the floor after this one where I ended up getting stuck. If I'm remembering correctly, killing the boss relied super heavily on getting crits, and I was playing the game like a moron.

fake edit: Yeah. I just checked my game and 12-year-old me didn't put any points into CON at all. I am incredibly bad at this!

Schir fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

So, are you ready for the actual plot to turn up now that we're halfway through the game? I know I am!

You did it, Buddy! He said you're a world-class Dungeon Digger!
How does that make you feel? Are you happy?
Be quiet for a second, will yah? There's more. Let me continue...
"Now that I know you've got this much skill, I must tell you about a crisis that threatens the world."
What?! A crisis that threatens the world?!

The Devil Prince is still a long way off from being awarded the title of Devil Lord.
That is why this Devil Prince is trying to become the Lord of the mortal realm. He plans to enslave the human race and annihilate all opposition...
Can you believe this insanity?!
The Devil Prince has ordered all monsters to change the world into a place more to the liking of devils.
This is why the Hobgoblins and that Otter Wizard have been running amok lately.

Yeah. Apparently, there's this dangerous person called the Devil Prince.
Person? If he's a Devil Prince, then he's no person. He's a devil. So... what about him?
He's been ordering monsters to remake the world into a world fit for devils.
...Or something like that...
Wait a second, there's more. I'll keep reading.

I guess that's close enough to count as a title drop.

The Dragon is planning to build a dungeon for the Devil Prince. If it succeeds, the Devil Prince will come to our world!
The Dragon wants to complete its dungeon as soon as it can. This is why I think it might try stealing an existing dungeon.
You know where this is going...
The Dragon is going to try and steal your dungeon! I might suggest just demolishing the dungeon to prevent the Dragon from taking it...
But you're such a brave, young man that I know you'll willingly face the Dragon instead!
This is what I need you to do. I need you to lure the Dragon into your dungeon and defeat it!

I read a book when I was little...
A book?
Yeah, this book had a dragon in it, and it was really cool.
So powerful, it made my heart pound. I always imagined the story was about a faraway land...
But I never thought for a moment that I'd actually be fighting a dragon myself!

So, to summarise: a dragon wants to steal our dungeon to summon Satan's kid. We have to Slay The Dragon. It's cliche, but it's cliche for a reason.

So instead, let's pick up a new sidequest!

I know where it is, but could you please stop calling me 'boy'? Anyway, it's underground.
So the deeper your dungeon gets, the closer to Hell it gets?
Umm... I guess...
Do you think you could get me a Hell Ring? I really want one...
A Hell Ring... Sounds cursed. Are you sure?
No, they aren't cursed. They're just rings. Thing is, you can do something interesting with them...!
If you give one to someone you hate a lot, then you'll never have to see them again.
Is there someone you never want to see again?

Oh, well. Okay then.
(*whew!*)
Now that we've established that, would you mind finding one for me?
Sure, I'll look around.

Hrm, I get the feeling we don't have the right materials to find this just yet. I wonder if someone could help us out with that.

Um, do you like scary stories?

Made from flames and blizzards...
Well, monsters from Hell tend to carry Hell Rings. I have a room you might want to use to catch one! You need a Demon Cell!
This fantastic product will not only attract Hellish monsters, it will seal them in as well!
If you buy now, I can give it to you for the low, low price of 2,500! Give it a try!
(I just wanted to ask about the rings, and she turned it into a sales pitch...)

Demon Cells are just as cheap as we were told, which is nice. They're also our second 1 square room with four entrances.

Don't need a lot of them, but it never hurts to stock up. Only really need it for the Hell Ring after all.

Dragon fire can burn an entire town to the ground. We'll be burnt to a crisp, too!

I know it sounds bad, but it's cool. Just relax. I know what I'm doing when it comes to dragons. I have played a lot of Skyrim.

I read a book once, a long time ago, that said that if you have a certain Charm...

What kind? Did it say? A fire charm or something?
I don't remember...

Yeah...
(She's pretty cheery for some reason...)

Alright, let's start working on the sixth floor for real.

Fancy Beds here have Powerdogs and... nothing else, I think. They're Wardogs but stronger and with better drops. Starts asleep, of course, so we never give it a chance to wake up.

Fields are meant to have a new, very good enemy (for what we care about). Instead, I got nothing but potatoes. Good news is the chest contains what we want...

A food item! On a couple floors, you can just grab free food from a chest. It's quite nice, I must admit. Just... don't think about it too much. This one we won't get to use for ourselves though.

That's great grilled! Cook it thoroughly with Pigboar and add Spinach. Exquisite!
Roast Powerbull is premium meat, so even I don't get to eat it very often...
You can have it, if you want...
Oh, really? Oh, ah, um, gee, you really shouldn't have.

In return, get me some magic I can use! Something incredible!
Sure, that's easy.
That's easy?
I do run the Magic Shop, after all! To be honest, I'll do anything for food...
And you're okay with being that way?
Very okay!

So, yeah, no Powerbull for us just yet. That's fine though; we'll have some for ourselves relatively quickly.

Also another letter. We didn't actually ask about that charm or anything.

Good morning! Weren't you going to ask King Leon how to defend against dragon fire?
Did you forget to write him a letter or something?
It's all right. I never sent a letter, but we already have our answer.
Huh?

Sea Charms are owned by monsters of the sea. The only one I know of is the one held by an octopus monster known as Octopoid.
Octopoid is the King of the Sea, but that's not enough for him. He wants to be the king of the land as well.
Given a chance, he'd love to leave the sea and go on a rampage.

If Octopoid left the sea, then you should be able to lure him to your dungeon, as long as you build a water floor.
Your Friend, King Leon.
Why doesn't Octopoid leave the sea? There's got to be a way to draw him out. Hmm...

Okay, so we're slowly getting a bigger picture of what we need to do. Find a way to lure out the Octopoid. Kill it for its charm. Use it to neutralise the dragon's fire. Slay The Dragon to save the world.

It's really useful. Just cast it, and you can burn every enemy, all at once. How does that sound, miss?
Like a Firestorm! All right!
It's a tad expensive, but... oh well. Buy it, and try it out...

It's cheaper than I'd have expected to say this is a really, really good spell. More powerful than Burn, hits everything and only costs 8MP to boot. It's even fairly useful on our current floor, albeit not fantastically so.

Since this is a fire related floor, the kid at the fountain knows what's up.

(It's a new song...)
Bye-bye ghosts! Bye-bye ghosts! Now that they're gone, let's go out and play!
I'm afraid of ghosts! I'm afraid of ghosts! If you're afraid of ghosts...
(...Too afraid of ghosts to leave home...)

(That's how the otters were. They had to hide out of fear for the Flamesaurus.)
(But once I hunted that Flamesaurus down, they came out and raised a ruckus.)
(Maybe if I hunt down the fire monsters, Octopoid will come out to play...)

Alright, so now we need to buy a bunch more Fireplaces. Thought we still had some on-hand from before, but apparently not!

Hi. I need a bunch of Fireplaces, I guess.
Fireplaces? So you're gathering fire monsters again?
Yeah.

stuff to Dungeon Diggers.
You should make some rooms that are even more attractive to fire monsters than Fireplaces! How about a Hearth?
It's expensive, but I guarantee that it'll draw in some proud monsters. Like Flame Warriors!

Heh heh! When you hear the name of a monster, you immediately start thinking about what kinds of items you can get from it!
Spoken like a true Dungeon Digger...

Hearths are mercifully cheap, so we stock up on all 10 of them. Gonna need a fair few by the time we're done, of course.

That's right.
Don't be tricked by the Flame Ring!
Tricked? It's a ring with the power of flames, right?
Yeah, so don't be tricked!

Ah, I see...
If you wear these items before fighting fire monsters, you may not be able to win!
If you want to fight fire monsters, then wear an Ice Ring! If that's clear, then let's go!

Speaking of rings, we can get yet another new one in the bottom-right corner of the floor. This is a ring I quite like a lot.

When just clearing floors out, I stick 2 Rings of Power on Owen and Gloop. This ring alone is better than that; gonna dupe it sometime to get 4.

That time is not now, however. Fields on this floor contain Powerbulls. They give the meat we found in the chest before, of course. They also drop other stuff so it's not perfect.

Demon Cells contain Hellflames, and only Hellflames. They're mostly weak to Ice, as you would expect.

They're also kinda annoying if you don't Seal 'em because they do this.

This hurts quite a fair bit, but we don't have any Fire resistance right now. We're going to have kill these guys plenty because they give us the Hell Ring.

They also give us other, less worthwhile rings.

Meanwhile, I've been killing even more Black Warriors to try and get this. Took long enough!

It's not a particularly great upgrade for our boots, no, but they are the only piece of Iron equipment Kate can also wear.

Unfortunately, now we have to put up with the Flame Warriors. They're basically Black Warriors but Fire elemental now.

That means Kate can destroy them with Ice Shards. They're actually much easier because of that.

As you would expect, they give Fire equipment.

It's generally not as good as the Iron stuff for raw defence, but each bit gives ~30 points of Fire defence.

So, uh, yeah. I think we want this.

Powerbulls also have a helmet they can drop for us.

Probably gonna dupe this one as well. +8 Attack with this and 2 Ripper Rings is a very good upgrade. The high stun resist is an added bonus.

Once again, speaking of rings, we got a Hell Ring quicker than I expected. It's not something we can equip right now, of course, with the difference here being it does nothing anyway. It's sole use is this quest.

So, let's finish it up right now.

Really? Thanks, I'll take it.
Here you go.
Wait just one second! You guys really need to be more careful!
That's a ring you give to someone you never want to see again as a present, right?

Oh yeah... I forgot about that.
That was a close one...
What should we do?
Why don't you just buy it?

Okay... Here, boy. This money is for that ring.

For a single ring, that's not TOO bad actually! It's also not the actual quest reward, don't worry.

Now, give me the goods.
Here you go...

Nothing happened... right?
Nope, nothing happened.

It's because money is the root of all evil, I guess! or something like that.
(...I don't think that has anything to do with it, but... I'll just keep my mouth shut.)

Powerbull is great and cool because it gives us this. 3 Strength and HP for two very easy to acquire items (and one we can just buy outright) is fantastic. Gonna stuff this down Owen for basically the remainder of the floor.

Speaking of which, the floor turns red here at a reasonable time to do so. It's once we get 12 Hearths placed.

Flame Warriors drop their swords, of course.

Stronger than the Black Warriors, but less effective at the moment. It'll be useful for when we fight things on other floors though.

Oh and I forgot to pick up the real reward for the Hell Ring in the morning. Oops.

(I wonder who she gave it to, and why she hated that person so much...)
(My guess is it was the Mayor.)

(Hey, Shovel, don't say that so loud!)
I haven't given it to anyone. I don't hate anyone, you know...
When you wear a Hell Ring, it accustoms you to cold feelings.

What, really? Thank you.
Try it out, okay? If I made it right, you'll be able to use it to summon blizzards...

Givin' this straight to Kate.

It's stronger than her bow, and it saves her a ton of MP too. The ice effect happens after an attack, not instead of it, and hits every enemy. Very nice, but if her normal attack kills whatever she hits (unlikely but possible) then it can't happen.

Though we got it just in time to spawn the boss. Who, being a boss, it isn't going to be super-useful for. Oh well.

Devlin

I... what even is that.

Hey, Buddy! It's standing right there! Don't be rude. You might hurt its feelings!
Monsters have... feelings? Well, anyhow, what do you suggest...?
It's a Devlin. They're Goblins that like to eat flames. Sometimes, they eat so many flames they get really fat.
A fat, flame-eating Goblin, huh...?

So be sure you seal him, or you'll all be in for one heck of a fight...!
Well, you don't need me here, getting in the way. I'm gonna go hide somewhere. Good luck, you guys!

It should go without saying but the fire-eating boss will not be very susceptible to Fire. It only resists it (thankfully) but still not worth using. Kate's Ice Shards hit for nearly 20 points of damage with her really very good magic which is a tad worrying.

Oh, and aside from healing itself this is a big reason why we want to seal this guy.

Hits everyone very hard, and this is with a decent chunk of Fire resistance as well.

The good news is he is so susceptible to being sealed, it should hit just about every time its cast.

This leaves him with his significantly less threatening basic attack. It's still not something we can ignore entirely, since it does deal double digit damage.

Also it has the usual stun chance but the Power Helm makes that such a non-issue.

Unfortunately for us, the seal only lasts 1 turn so he gets to blast us with his Firestorm every other round. At least at the moment.

Once he hits ~120HP or less and he's not sealed, he does this.

Shovel was completely right about what it does, so it makes the fight slightly more tedious at this point. At least we can stop worrying about healing ourselves now.

But just keep up the same trend of sealing and blasting away, and he'll die eventually. Not a hard fight, just a much longer one that we're accustomed to.

End

Yeah, it sure was...
Especially since one of us refuses to help out in battle.

That's what I always say. Now, grab that Flame Jar and let's get going!
(Sarcasm's lost on some people...)

The spoils of victory! Said spoils also were kind enough to give us the next floor as usual, so let's see what lies below.

Lots of groundwater in these walls, too!
Yep. Another great place for water monsters...

Excellent. We have a water floor, and I'm sure we all know what this is going to be used for when we get to it. For now, we just do our usual prep work. Chest down, starting room for food etc. etc.

Oh, and gonna clear out the 6th floor's chest now, while gathering up more food since we have the chance. The Chain Robe is a very nice piece of armor...

It's a defence upgrade over even the Iron Mail and it can be worn by everyone too. How nice!

Other stuff it can give that we care about is new Tiaras of Flame, a Flame Ring (which Shovel told us about) and another piece of armor that apparently I never got this time around. Hrm. Guess we'll get it later.

I wonder...
This Flame Jar is so big, it gets in the way. Want to give it to the Mayor?
Hey, speak of the devil!

That's it! It's because this is the Devlin's Lunchbox, isn't it?
Huh! A lunchbox used by a monster? So, it must eat fire... Wow!
You guys, go put that up in town! Put it somewhere conspicuous. That'll definitely draw the...

Hmm? Oh, I just thought we could draw some more tourists...
Go on, put it up in town.
Really? Shall I pay for your dungeon construction costs, then?!

Heh heh heh, what a wonderful find! This will really draw in the tourists. Heh heh!
You guys just go and keep on digging that hole in the ground!

I'm really not sure why he keeps the pretense up at this point. We know what his real agenda is here.

A win-win scenario! So dig, dig, dig, and dig some more!

Another song to add to the... collection? Well, whatever you want to call it, we've only got two more to go.

Owen definitely needs more Speed and Con at this point. Speed, especially. His Wisdom could do with boosting a bit as well, but for the time being that's a lesser concern.

Kate meanwhile gets to keep being Kate. That'll be changing for a short while though, because it's semi-needed for her to be a little bit more useful against something coming up sooner rather than later. No, really.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 17, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Calling it now: The Devil Prince has been someone else in disguise the whole time. I'm just not sure who yet. Either the Mayor or the Shovel itself. In either case, we're doing all his hard work to become a Devil Lord.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I really like the monster animations in this game. They're so expressive. :allears:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Choco1980 posted:

Calling it now: The Devil Prince has been someone else in disguise the whole time. I'm just not sure who yet. Either the Mayor or the Shovel itself. In either case, we're doing all his hard work to become a Devil Lord.

It's gotta be the shovel. The mayor will just be a blowhard who had no clue what's going on.

Nuffkins
Apr 20, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

It's gotta be the shovel. The mayor will just be a blowhard who had no clue what's going on.

But I wanna punch his face in! He's hopefully at least boss of Floor 10: tourism.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm kind of surprised we're still sticking to fire and water as elements. Light and darkness obviously exist but we haven't really seen rooms or floors with those yet.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Actually the golem is a light monster.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Another day, another floor, another new letter from King Leon.

He came onto the land during the night and is hiding in the forest somewhere.
Now, you have to create a water floor and lure Octopoid to your dungeon.
Octopoid is the King of the Sea, after all, so you'll need to build a luxurious water suite for him.
Make a place that Octopoid would deem worthy, and he'll attempt to take it over as his fortress!
Your Friend, King Leon.
A luxurious water floor... I guess it'll take more than just drinking water...

Well, guess we're gonna need a new water-type room. Let's go grab some then.

You mean Water Sources, right?!
Well, there's a certain monster that needs much, much more than that...

Dungeons don't usually need moisturizing...
Give it a try!
Do you really think that King of the Sea will be satisfied with just a Fountain?
Sure, if you buy lots, and lots, and lots of Fountains, and you put them in a row!
Are you sure that's all it'll take? Just a bunch of 'em lined up?

Really...

A little bit more expensive than the Hearth from before, but still on the nicer cheap side of things.

As they should be, since we need 12 of them again. At least it's consistent.

So you'll want ice armor! Why not place a Dojo on the seventh floor, and bring in some Ice Warriors?
Warriors again...
It'll be a tough fight, but with our girl's fire magic we should be fine!
Wow, Shovel. You say some useful things, sometimes! ...Sometimes.
Sometimes, huh? I know what you mean... Yeah, well, that's... you know...!
(Now he's back to spouting the usual nonsense again...)

So, new enemy in the fields and the sole reason we put one down in the first place. Buffalobulls are cleverly named and possibly kind of a threat maybe.

So, let's see just how well the Firestorm spell can work for us. Same animation as Burn, so we'll skip that and get to the important bit: how hard does it hit?

That... yeah, that'll do it. Its whole "being stronger than Burn" thing makes it pretty drat good at times like this.

...Not what we want, though. They have a whole two drops, this one and some new food. Unfortunately, they really do not like to drop the food. Bleh.

So, there's a bunch of items from the Iron Chest we want this time. We'll deal with them as they come up. We'll start by getting this for Kate.

It isn't as strong as the Ice Staff as a normal weapon, but it's otherwise the exact fire counterpart. The MP saving aspect of it is what we're interested in.

While going to get the final item from the 6th floor, finally decided to beat up some Powerdogs for their drops as well. Can do this on the 7th as well, but the sword is pretty decent... Well, it was. Same strength as the Flamberge but without the Fire element.

There we go. Finally gotten this after its stopped being useful. Seems to be happening a lot lately.

Same defence as the normal halter but with Fire resistance for good measure.

...At least we can sell it for a decent chunk. I quite like that part.

Huh? So now you just blurt it out, without even a hello?
I wanna eat Bull Sirloin.
All right. Gotcha.
I wanna eat Bull Sirloin...
Yeah, yeah, I'll get you some. Don't worry.

To say that we already have the right room placed, we can just pocket the money and move on.

Hey so, here's something new and relevant. Throwing down a Flower Garden on the seventh floor gives us this. Forked Cats before gave us the normal Heal spell. On this floor the exact same enemy, not a different one with the same name or anything, now gives us Heal All.

Fountains have two possible enemies, but the other is just more Otter Warriors. Warpenguins are adorable little dudes with a giant spear that has a fish head on the end.

They're also super, super weak to Fire. Sounds about right.

Also they drop their spears, which would be cool but we can't see it when we use it.

Well, that and they're water elemental which does not help one bit on this floor. Figures.

This does, though, and I'm glad I got it without having to come back later again.

It's like the Ruby one from the previous floor but for a different element. Also it's just better than the base halter as well. Really, there's no reason to not use this.

The one nice thing about the Buffalobulls not wanting to give up their delicious meats is that at least the pelts are good money. Mostly in bulk, but they're common enemies so we get them in bulk.

Okay, trying yet again for the sirloin and instead the penguins give us some sardines. Many, many sardines in fact. But that's a good thing. You'll see.

Demon Cells now give us Hellblizzards instead of Hellflames. Exactly the same, except now they're Ice elemental and not Fire. Kate oneshots it without even trying.

Another Warpenguin drop is their shield. Nice to have but not super crucial.

This is more in-line with the tradition we're used to. Weaker in terms of defence, but grants some elemental resistance. Here, "some" is the key word because its just +10.

Last interesting (and more importantly: new and relevant) item in the chest is the second axe.

Stronger than the Flamberge albeit without the Fire element. Definitely gonna keep a hold of it for later, though.

This is everything that can appear in the Dojo on this floor. Nothing really new or particularly threatening. Ice Warriors are meh, Powerdogs are meher, Otter Warriors are mehest.

Kate didn't get the first strike, so I put the Ice Warrior to sleep just to be on the safe side.

It proved quite unnecessary, but I wasn't going to take the risk. Mostly because it IS still a Warrior and all.

And then we stole his shoes.

Better than the Iron boots and with the right elemental defense too. Kate can even use these ones as well.

Both a good and underwhelming thing in the bottom-left corner. It's good because, hey, free money. Underwhelming because we've been getting new equipment for ages and then this happened.

It took too many fights, too many days and too many bulls but we finally got the important stuff.

Also this is a day after we got the Sardines for the first time and I forgot to talk to him then. So, we have to do two conversations back to back.

Why are you sighing like that?
I'm missing one...
One what?

Well, can't you make it with just three Sardines, then?
Or do you need four Sardines to make enough Dry Fish for you?
Yeah, I take four Sardines, line them up, and dry them. Then I cook 'em.
Then it's Dry Fish, as far as I'm concerned.
I wanted to eat Dry Fish tonight, too, and I'm one Sardine short... Aww...
Hey! What's that you've got there...?!
Yes, we have a Sardine.
Ah! Gimme! Gimme!

I'll pay you for it!
I want magic.
Okay, I'll get you some!
I don't care how expensive it is, I want some incredibly powerful magic!
Okay! I'll get it! Gimme that Sardine!
Here you go then. ...I wonder what kind of magic I can get for a single Sardine...

We'll find out just what it is when we come back tomorrow. For the moment, though, we'll just leave and come back right away.

Yes, we did.
Great! I'll eat it, then. Gimme.
Sure. Here you go.
You have to be careful just how much heat you apply. It needs to be cooked rare.
Even if the world should end, you have to eat Bull Sirloin rare.

(He needs to lighten up a bit...)
Oh, and I'll stock some new magic. Come back and buy it. Your life may depend on it!
(He needs to lighten up a lot...)
Hey, mister!
What?

Nah, you got it all wrong. It's the other one, you know.
No, that's the stuff...
All right, here. Geez, what's up with all that...!
Great! This should do it!
(What are they talking about...?!)
Shovel was complaining to the Shopkeeper.

So the Shopkeeper said, "Relax, I bought you some Olive Oil," and he handed it over.
(Is it just me? Why am I the only one who didn't understand...?)

I dunno, I thought it was pretty obvious. Did you really need to ask?

Anyway, we'll go apply this immediately. 40MP is quite a sizable chunk especially now that we're going to need bigger and bigger floors.

Dried Fish is good on the face of it. +4 Wisdom AND +4 MP seems very tempting and like it'd be awesome and worth it.

But it takes 4 Sardines to do. Much like with Baked Clams, it's easier to just not bother and keep chugging Carrot Juice.

Bull Steak is also oddly not as good as you would think. Sure it requires us to just farm one item, instead of 2, but it trades an extra +1 Str for +1 HP. I think I'll stick to the Power Grills, thanks.

Oh? How can you tell?
Well, you obviously didn't hang yourself in shame, right?
Of course not. It was scrumptious. Nice and juicy and rare.

No, I don't mean it's hard to find... I mean it was rare!
Uh... exactly! Rare!
No! It was rare, I'm telling you...! (*sigh*)
Oh, before I forget, I got that magic in stock for you.
(Now what's he talking about...? Bah, I'll just check out what he's got on his shelves...)

Hey, it's a really good buffing spell and it's for a wonderfully cheap price too. Casting this on Owen will make him pretty drat strong; Gloop as well... sort of, albeit to a much lesser extent.

Not quite on-par with Kate's multi-target spells for the random trash, but they'll be very good as boss killers. Hopefully.

Promised? What promise?
You gave me a Sardine, remember?
Oh yeah! That's right! So what magic do you have for us, as payment for that Sardine?
It's an attack spell that summons a blizzard to damage every enemy at once.
Wow...
That'll be enough, won't it? I mean, I really enjoyed that Sardine...
So... one Sardine for Blizzard magic?
(One Sardine...?)

Ice Shards but multi-target. 12,000G seems hefty, and it's not very worth it for this floor (on the whole) but it'll be useful overall so grabbing this.

And we got the two of them just in time for the boss to show up. Let's go deal with this guy right away.

Octopoid

...Yes, that is really his max HP. Octopoid is quite the difficulty spike if you're not prepared.

Is that Octopoid? Let's get him!
You guys aren't wearing a Flame Ring, are you? You can't attack him if you wear stuff like that.
Huh? What do you mean? He's a water monster, right?

Oh, yeah.
If you're wearing any fire gear, you'd better run away! Same if you're wearing any water stuff... You'll have to fight it with normal equipment!
If you want to run, don't worry. I'll be right ahead of you...!
Hey, wait, Shovel! I was wondering--
Great, he's gone already.

So, Octopoid has nothing but very nasty attacks. Ideally, we'd seal him just to stop that from happening but every single time I tried it just missed. So that's off the table.

Good news is at least Kate was able to poison him with the Forked Cat Bow on the first shot. That's one ailment that definitely sticks at least. Sure it's only 1-3HP of damage every time he gets a turn, but it adds up.

This attack is actually probably the one you want to see the most.

On the one hand, yes, it hits everyone with some not-insignificant Ice element damage. And it has a good chance of inflicting Chill.

On the other hand...

The attack decrease we can sort-of counteract by casting Strengthen (for an astounding 20MP! Yikes) with the benefit of that lasting the entire fight. And Chill wears off quick.

And then there's this. This is his normal, basic attack.

Think about that for a second. His normal attack also hits everyone. But this time, it's regular damage. And of course it has the requisite Stun chance as well.

Also, because he resists our good magic, we're pretty much reliant on Owen hacking away at this guy with an Axe to actually get damage in.

This is Kate's spell damage for what its worth. If she had more Str, she could keep firing the bow to help out, but she only to got to 12 in the few days it took to get him to spawn. Not enough to get damage above 1 unfortunately.

Oh, and when he gets low on HP, he can do this.

The good news is this is his only single target attack. The bad news is, well, have you seen that damage? And it stuns too.

So, yeah, Octopoid is a much harder boss than any that came before. He's also one hell of an endurance match. I could've been more aggressive if I brought actual supplies for Kate to really help out healing stuff but oh well.

End

Hey, wait, is that it over there? On the floor...?
Nope, that's just a rock.
Oh! Nope... And that's just an octopus suction cup. What about...! Nope. That's just another suction cup...
What are you babbling about? It's right here, see...?
Oh... Well, it's a good thing we looked for it as a team!
(All he did was make noise...)

Now we can finally deal with that dragon and stop the Devil Prince from doing his thing. Down to the eighth floor we go...

And there's no dialogue here. There is, however, an annoying array of walls in the top-right corner to deal with. Doubly annoying because that's where this floor's hidden item is, and it's one we really, really want.

We'll get to work on that in time though. For now, the usual array of initial rooms. Chest, flower garden and a dojo adjoining it. We'll attach the field to the far side of the garden later.

For now, let's just head back up and... oh right, we can start the eighth floor's sidequest at this point as well. This one we will just grab now. Save time later.

sword that can execute chain attacks. I'm trying to get you one...
F-For me...?

It's the ring of a Not-Dead-Yet!

Ah, a new enemy that we have Not-Fought-Yet.

Huh?
A Not-Dead-Yet is a clown zombie. It wanders around, performing tricks... But it's a zombie.
Anyway, it wears a ring called a Performer Ring.
The craftsman promised to trade me one katana for this ring... He likes clowns, I think.
He said that a Dungeon Digger should have no problem getting one. What do you think?

I think the craftsman is the real bad guy here.

If you find a Performer Ring, I'll give you a katana for it.
Sounds interesting.

No, I'm talking about the katana.
It can do all sorts of tricks, you know. It may be a zombie, but it's still a clown!
(I still think a katana that does chain attacks is more interesting...)

And of course, it being a zombie means we can easily get it from altars. Gonna need to throw down some of them when we start the eighth floor for real later.

Kind of scary, isn't it?
No, I'm not scared. I'm looking forward to seeing my first dragon... that's all.
Boys sure like dragons... If you ask me, they're nothing but huge lizards, but whatever...

Yeah, and the Mayor would want to stuff it, mount it, and charge tourists to see it.
Yeah...

Shh, you'll give him ideas!

Anyway, speaking of stuffing and food, just gonna buff Owen's Wisdom and especially MP a bit now. Gonna need a lot more MP to be able to buff and still do other stuff. Strength is taking precedence for boss fights now that we have Strengthen though.

Kate's much easier. She just needs more HP and Constitution at this point. Also gonna be boosting Wisdom to keep the overpowered death flying during normal excursions, of course.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I'd guess that the Devil Lord is the mayor.

And the shovel is the prince?

Or perhaps King Leon... then again it could be some random NPC. But nearly 0 chance it's Kate. Though that would be amusing.

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 19, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There's something very pastoral about all this.

I suppose it's the whole cooking and eating monsters thing.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I'm thinking it was King Leon all along, and he's playing us.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Once again, we start the floor by receiving a letter from the king. I guess now that we're fully prepared for the dragon, it's going to appear this floor.

Your dungeon is a cause for peace in the mortal world. We won't let it be taken over by the likes of the Devil Prince.
Once your eighth floor is complete, I think I'll dsh over to have a look at your handiwork for myself.
Let's fight the dragon together and put a halt to the Devil Prince's plans!
Your Friend, King Leon.

Hell yeah, King Leon as an ally for the dragon fight. This is gonna be awesome. Sorry Gloop; I think you'll be less effective then.

Wait a second, Buddy! Won't he just try to steal all the credit...?!
Who cares about the credit? This is just a job to me...
Winning is more important than figuring out who gets the credit.
Good point! Why bother luring monsters into your dungeon if you can't beat them?!
Dungeon Diggers never give up until they win!

Eh, it's not that great. It is, however, the penultimate track so there's that?

Anyway, we want a fancy floor and we need better stuff for THAT too.

Yes? What's it called!?
A Plush Bed!
Sounds exciting...
Any monster will be addicted after just one use!

So, remember all those times we had lots of money? Yeah, me too. Unfortunately, this floor will make me long for those days. Because dear god is filling this one out expensive. And not just thanks to the new beds either.

All right, we'll need a Plush Bed...
Right! But a fancy bed is not enough.

And don't forget the Flower Garden or the Dojo!
Also, monsters see Demon Cells as luxurious.

...Noooo! Poor, poor little wallet. Need so much money for this floor. :negative:

All these rooms are going to cost a lot of money, but there's not much we can do about it...
Keep on beating monsters, and keep on making money!

So, we'll begin by putting our decently large MP pool to use to grab the item in the top-right corner. Grabbing more Olive Oil is always nice.

Flower Gardens have a new type of cat for us to contend with. Mage Cats have a very, very nasty trick up their sleeves...

Devastation is the most powerful attack spell in the game, albeit one with marginally less use for us.

It always drops whoever it hits to exactly 1HP. When fighting a single Mage Cat it's not too problematic, since they don't get to capitalise on it, but once they have allies...

At least Gloop can copy their heads and learn the trick. Useful for strong normal enemies, but worthless for bosses, of course.

Mage Cats also have a couple new drops aside from the obvious equipment upgrades. Recovery Potions are an upgraded Healing Potion; restore much more HP and cure ailments as well. Plus now the Magic Storekeep will sell 'em.

Dojos on this floor only have Master Warriors to fight, and they're just like their lesser brethren but hit harder. So do we, though, and we can have Gloop blast them with Destruction too if necessary.

Once we get a key, we'll just crack open the 8th floor's chest and start to get its goodies. Starting with this one.

Being a helmet, Kate can't wear it but it does give Gloop (and Owen to a lesser degree) a pretty big defense boost which is always nice.

And its around about now that the Shovel has so much MP, our current money can't keep up so a lot of it goes unused! :v:

...Okay so next day we get to deal with these guys. I do not like dealing with these guys.

They have so many things they can do, it's ridiculous.

Basically, aside from this one exception, they can do every previous boss' unique skill.

Also the one trick they aren't mimicking is a stab. That can stun.

That's just plain cruel.

...And most of their drops are rotten junk.

Needless to say the entire point of this stuff is to be sold. And it doesn't even sell for much either!

Another new Mage Cat drop and its not very good, of course.

3 defense an no other benefit? For a ring, that's kinda meh even though it sounds useful. At least we can sell it, I guess.

Master Warriors drop Black equipment, and its all a pretty good upgrade.

The boots are probably the best ones to have gotten first, since everyone can use them.

And then they drop the ability to blackmail the Mayor for being an awful human being.

Sadly, it just gives us a slight defense increase for Owen and Gloop. Kate will have no part of it.

Also a shield, of course.

It's a nice upgrade being the first in the double-digit range, at least.

Another new enemy, and the last one from a Field too. Cursed Peppers can sometimes cast Sealing spells but are otherwise thoroughly uninteresting.

They do drop their robes sometimes...

But, of course, they are bad and worthless. Once again, only use is to sell for a small amount of cash.

They'll also drop peppers sometimes. And now we have no reason to fight them ever again too!

Yeah?
You've got a Green Pepper, right?
Uh, yes...
I know how much children hate Green Peppers. Want me to eat it for you?
I'll eat it myself.
Oh... I see... Well, if you have Green Peppers, you can make Firepig Stir-Fry.

You can flavor the sauce with a Crowcat's Tail.
This will make a delicious, sweet and sour dish that I simply adore!
You lucky guy, you, with your Green Peppers and all...
I'll eat it myself.
Oh... I see how it is...

Now that we have a pepper and now how to cook it too, we can just buy the things for 300G a piece. Definitely easier than bothering cutting through the things occasionally, I guess.

It's not a bad recipe either; only need to worry about having enough Firepig and Crowcat to make it since the other two can be bought. How nice.

Still no Performer Ring, but this hat the Not-Dead-Yets drop isn't actual garbage.

I know, I'm shocked too. It grants a little resistance to Fire, Water AND Light along with being a slight defense upgrade. How nice.

Also Mage Cats drop these very rarely. We don't need to worry about that though. They're food items and, no, I don't know why Mage Cats have tentacles on their person.

Boots, armor, shield and helmet...

Only thing missing from the Master Warriors now is their sword. Also the helmet is worse than the Silver one we can get from the chest on this floor. Thanks, I guess?

...Granted, the chest isn't all good.

The Morningstar is very much an unimpressive weapon. Counts as a club for equip purposes and is just bleh in general. Not using this.

You sure know how to find all sorts of food, don't you?
Cook that with a Clam and a Sardine, and you'll have yourself a delicious Seafood Grill.

That sounds super gross. I guess it's a gourmet thing.

You can actually eat this raw...?
Yeah. It's a gourmet thing, though. You wouldn't understand.
Wow. I wish I could eat as well as you...

Well, I sure don't.

Anyway, back in the hole and placing a few more rooms here and there. Doesn't take much longer now to get the floor to turn white.

And we finally get the Performer Ring to drop as well. How nice and at the right moment to get that sweet hanzo steel in time to slay the dragon!

Really!? Were they interesting?
The Not-Dead-Yet's tricks... How were they?
I was in no position to watch them at the time...

It's pretty dangerous... I don't recommend it.

I agree; having seem them up close, I'd rather not do it again.

I'll take that Performer Ring and trade it for the katana, so come back tomorrow, okay?

We'll definitely do that, but for the moment we need to eat. The Seafood Grill's pretty decent for what it is. Unfortunately, needing 3 of the rarer food drops makes it not good enough for my liking.

This katana can be used to execute chain attacks!
Wow... So this is it... What a strange sword...

Perfect. Now we have the ultimate weapon for our quest and need nothing else ever.

Strongest weapon to date, and can slash dudes twice sometimes for good measure. Yep, this will do very nicely.

And immediately afterwards, the Dragon appears as well. Alright, let's get Gloop some pompoms and away we go!

The Traitor

Hey King Leon. Nice of you to show as promised. Let's beat that Dragon!

What a splendid dungeon you've built... Especially this eighth floor!
So luxurious! I bet you worked really hard. Well done, my boy!
Just doing our job...
Of course. Well, I've been looking into that Devil Prince...

He wants to put a dragon on the ninth floor, for protection, too.
The Devil Prince wants to steal your dungeon, my boy, but I won't let him.
We can't let him conquer the mortal world, can we...?
Not a chance!

Wha-Wha-What!?
Naive little boy... You were so easy to trick!
You got me the Sea Charm and built me this magnificent suite on the eighth floor... I thank you for all that!
I'll be taking over, now.
If this dungeon gets any bigger, the Devil Prince will show up, and I can't allow that.
I want this to be the base for my conquest against the humans!

Climactic Boss

So, whoops turns out our eighth boss is really King Leon. Well then...

In a nice change of pace, King Leon is the first boss in ages who uses no elemental attacks at all. He just focuses on putting the beat down on dudes with that giant spear.

Oh, and of course even though it sounds like a funny idea, Devastation will always miss a boss so don't bother trying that.

Do, however, have Owen buff himself. His physical attack will normally deal 1 damage or so with our current stats, so this should fix that.

King Leon's focus on "stab dudes a lot" makes it a mite harder to fully know where your safety threshold is a lot of the time. Then he hits Owen really hard and it becomes obvious, yikes.

Of course, with his Attack buff, Owen can hit for about 30-60 points of damage per attack now. Granted the 50-60 area is only achievable from a followup with his sweet Katana, but that's about 10% of King Leon's HP in one attack.

This attack of King Leon's is a tad underwhelming, and probably the closest to a single-target breather he has. Might as well be a basic attack, really.

...Then again, that does mean that unlike every other boss to date he has 4 attacks instead of the normal 3.

So, he has 2 heavy hitting single target attacks and 2 multi-target attacks that aren't quite as potent. They're all physical, so we just have to stack defense to mitigate them which is different enough to be noteworthy.

Sure, King Leon has over 500HP (barely) but I'd say he's easier than the Octopode. Guy's a nice fight, but he gets a bit too much on the easy side really.

So, of course, he ends up being this insurmountable wall for some people. They can get to the King, but he just trashes them and I cannot begin to understand why. He's really not a problem. :shrug:

End

Well, he wasn't really on my side to begin with.
Still... Hey, look! On the floor!

Hey, that's a symbol of the King of Leons!
Does that make you the new King...?

Well, I've never seen a King of Beasts with quite so little hair.

Probably not. Wait, no! Of course you can't!
...What a shame.
Let's take it back to town!

...One more thing to show off to the tourists...

No new dialogue for the 9th floor either, so we'll start by clearing a path and putting down rooms and...

Oh. New room then.

the eighth floor is REALLY expensive to fill out you guys

So we'll instead just dig all the way to the bottom right corner all ready. This sword is... special.

It's innately very weak and worthless. Except that its special ability is to just smack something for 999 damage without question.

Just gonna sell this and never use it, though, because normal sword unleashes are like 500 damage to current and that's major overkill.

Also got this on the 8th floors chest on the way out. It's just a +2 to Attack which is... okay, I guess. We've outclassed it by miles by being able to get a Ripper Ring earlier than this for some reason though.

What's that? You defeated King Leon and took the Leon Emblem?! So King Leon was a liar...
Well, that's no surprise.

Um, game? This is clearly meant to be Owen's line...

Hmph, so all that talk about the Elder Dragon and the Devil Prince...
Those were just more of King Leon's lies!
Are you sure?
He just wanted you to make a big dungeon, that's all. There's no Devil Prince coming!

So just keep it our little secret, please!

If I know anything about tourists and things that could kill them, they would be MORE inclined to come here with a dragon and Devil Prince running around...

But if the dragon was a lie, why did I need that Sea Charm?
Hm?

That makes sense...
We have to get ready to fight the Elder Dragon.
To attract it, we'll need to make the ninth floor bigger and more luxurious...

That's a wonderful idea! I can just picture all the tourists now!
Very well. The town will provide you with additional funds to help. Good luck hunting that dragon!
But is that all...?

So don't build the dungeon past the ninth floor! After the dragon, don't go any deeper.
Make sure no more monsters go in the entrance, and destroy the ones that are already inside.
Once all the monsters are gone, we can invite the tourists to look inside.
It'll be the dungeon where the hero killed the dragon!

Oh my. 3000G. How generous of you. :geno:

We also got the last music track now, which is good. Also the track is good too.

So now we just need to get a ton of money... again... to make an even more luxurious and expensive floor...

All to attract a dragon, and then we can bury the dungeon and I guess make the Devil Prince someone else's problem.

What? We're not heroes, after all. Just a boy, a girl, some slime and a shovel...

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Maybe the devil prince can dig his own 10th floor :v:

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
You know, this game looks kind of fun, but I think it has the same problem I ran into with Fantasy Life, though slightly altered.

In FL, you can power though the main story with minor problems and little grinding if you really try and pay attention. The problem is, that's it. Once you hit the end of the main story, you are left with nothing but grinding your jobs to the max rank and I'm sorry, but that gets to be boring. I've gotten like one class to Hero, maybe three to Master, and the other EIGHT to either Adept or Expert. And because I hit the end of the story, it's just grinding and that gets boring after a while.

This game, the grinding is a little more spaced out in that you have to grind each level to a certain degree , but still you have to grind and that will get boring after awhile. Now, maybe the overall game play is fun and that will mask the grind, but without playing it myself, I will not know.

Either way, this game is interesting and I'll be watching it till the end to see how it plays out.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Gettin' sassy with the gourmet shopkeeper, dang. :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How many days did it take you to fill out the eighth floor, anyway?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I shoulda known the king was the -real- rear end in a top hat here all along. Ah well, he's dead now...wait, does that make this Regicide? Ah whatever.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Curse his sudden but inevitable betrayal!! :argh:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Glazius posted:

How many days did it take you to fill out the eighth floor, anyway?

Good question! Let's see...

Started on Day 56, finished on Day 62. So, just under a week.

That's longer than it should have taken, really, and yet less time than it felt. Go figure.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Don't have much to do in town before heading into the dungeon right now, but there is one small thing.

Something bad happened...
I hate to see a monster-hunting hero like yourself looking so grim. Makes me worry...
The world is safe thanks to the work of people like you. People who risk their lives every day!
Maybe I've said too much...?
Yes. You've said too much.
Heh... At least let me say that I'm counting on you! And so is Frau!
Hey! Instead of just counting on people, why don't you do something to help out, too!?

It's all I can do to simply pray for your success...
Speaking of praying... How would you like to buy a room for praying?
A room for praying?
Yeah, a Chapel.

Oh, that sounds good.
I've decorated the room with evil goddess statues...
This is about all I can do to help. I hope it's enough...?
Oh yes, it's great!

4000G means we can afford exactly one of this and basically nothing else useful right now.

So I do just that. I think it's worth it. :colbert:

...please dont remind me

No kidding...
Fancy Beds, Flower Gardens, and all the best rooms and furniture!
Wait, don't you mean Plush Beds?
Well... Fancy Beds aren't all that bad either, you know!

Plush Beds are too expensive! Let's use Fancy Beds, too!
Whatever you say...

Well, Shovel is right about the price thing but Fancy Beds aren't sufficient for what we want so gonna ignore them.

Since I sorta need to deal with slightly higher up floors to get finance right now, we can get some new equipment and stuff in the interim.

The Black Blade is nice for if you don't want to duplicate the Katana or you get it first or something. Now it's just nice to give to Gloop or something.

Also some new armour for Kate and/or Gloop.

But mostly for Kate, since it helps her more by far.

Aside from that, just gonna skip to the next day and fight a Valkyrie from the Chapel. She's not really a threat on her own. Has Holy Light to use as a spell and basic attack hits everyone but nothing worth worrying about.

Once again, skipping ahead to the next day and get an actually useful drop from the Valkyries.

They have actual armour and their spear they can drop, but they really don't like doing so in my experience.

So of course their first few drops are the ones we want, go figure!

I'm sure this won't keep it up for much longer...

...is what I'd like to say, but then this happened.

It's basically only useful for Kate, but she won't be using it much to hit dudes anyway.

There we go. This is mostly what Valkyries will drop at this point. Just Platinum or Gold Coins.

New enemy in the Flower Garden as well, with the very non-ninja Ninja Cats. They're mostly a non-issue save for...

Having the Lifesteal spell, which Gloop can steal for our use as well. It's not very strong, and it heals about 1/3rd of the total damage dealt to everyone (all decimals are truncated).

Fountains can give us a super-cool new enemy in pirate-y Platypi. They're not really much of a threat in general, either.

They do have this skill though. It's just like the Warrior's special strike...

But, well, not as strong so it's not worth worrying about.

It does also have some pretty nice drops, including this new armor for Owen and/or Gloop.

Yeah, despite its icon as a drop it's not usable by Kate for some reason.

Also I think a Ninja Cat dropped a Lifesteal Bomb at some point and I just skipped past it. It's just Lifesteal as an item, which makes it even less useful.

The 9th floor's chest is the easiest place to grind Tentacles if you really want to do that. It's not worth the hassle, honestly, given how few you'll need.

More importantly first is that it can give us a new shield as well.

It's not much of an upgrade in comparison to some other things we can get now, but it's still very nice to have.

Vaguely but not really still talking about Ninja Cat drops, they also drop this for Kate and Gloop.

Once again it's mostly for Kate, though, since she needs it much more.

And the Platypus opts to drop its food, uh, drop as well. Guess we'll take this straight to the Magic Shop!

Huh?
Want me to give it to you?
Hahaha...!
You're just bribing me with that Freshwater Fish, so I'll give you some new magic!

...drat, he's FINALLY onto us! :ohdear:

Oh my. You're a lot harder to fool than I thought. Oh well.
Where're you going!? Gimme that Freshwater Fish! I'll get you some new magic...
(...That was even easier than I thought it'd be...)

Yeah, so this is actually probably worth doing now in lieu of Carrot Juice at last. Platypi drop the fish very frequently and we only need 2 at a time too. It's not a big problem or anything.

Might as well just grab this while I remember.

Oh yeah! Life Theft. I'm not sure what it does, though...
That magic steals HP from the enemy!
Wow...
How is it that you run a Magic Shop, but you didn't know that?
I could tell you all about magic used for cooking.

That's fine, you don't have to explain...

Lifesteal is really, really not worth 8000G. And I'm not just saying that because I can't afford it without another dungeon excursion.

When doing so, a Platypus decides to also hand us his axe after a while.

It is pretty nice to have, since it's a decent upgrade over even our Katana.

Not much else really happens for the next few days, so we'll just skip to the boss now. It's a pretty lengthy albeit repetitive floor, since it's basically the same as the eighth when you get right down to it.

Elder Dragon

I like the Elder Dragon's doofy design. Mostly his stubby little arms and his cool purple scarf.

Wow, a real dragon!?
So you're responsible for digging this tiny little dungeon...
What do you mean "tiny"!?
It's not big enough for the Devil Prince. I have a lot of work cut out for me now...

Wow, rude.

Before we beat you, I gotta ask. Is it true the Prince guy won't come if we leave it just nine floors?
He's not a "guy"! He's a devil. He's the Devil Prince!
Okay, whatever. Is it true the Devil PRINCE won't come if we don't build a tenth floor...?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get this place ready for him. You can leave now.
No, you can leave! Digging this dungeon is MY job!

How amusing. Leave, or I'll obliterate you!
Uh... that's my line! You're forgetting whose dungeon you're in...!

As per usual, boss fight starts off with Owen buffing so he can go all out.

Kate's spells are actually more efficient than normal in this fight, which is nice.

And by "spells" I mean the ice ones.

So what can the Elder Dragon actually do to us?

Well, it's mostly more of what you would expect at this point. He has a semi-okay physical multi-target attack.

It's pretty easy to mostly just ignore to be honest, so of course he does other things.

...Although this one is even more underwhelming, since it's about the same strength but single-target now. Consider it a freebie I guess.

Also I just figured I'd take this guy as an opportunity to show why Gloop is not as good as Kate and Owen at this point. Even with Strengthen, his damage output is far below where you'd expect.

This is Owen in the same circumstances with a similar weapon. So, uh, yeah. Gloop is basically only good for healing duty at this point.

Oh right, also the Dragon IS a Dragon and we grabbed that sea charm for a reason.

It's... actually not that threatening presumably because of the Sea Charm. There's no point in caring about stacking fire res for this since it gives you too little defence for the other stuff.

Kind of weird how the dragon was also a super-easy fight to be honest. Not much else to it, since his attacks are very... not that threatening. Just hit him until he dies; no need to even be remotely cautious here.

End

The Sea Charm has used all its power and disappears...

Wh-What's that!? On the floor up ahead!

(*cry*)
Why the heck are you crying...?
These are tears of joy! I'm so happy... uh, for you!
You've grown up so fast... defeating dragons now...!
Or are you just happy because we found Olive Oil?
Well, uh...

That sounds about right for that Shovel. We might as well take a peek at what's on the tenth floor before we begin to remove everything.

We must be getting closer to Hell! Humans usually get creeped out by this kinda place...
But demons and devils love it! This'll be an ideal floor for luring the Devil Prince!

Well, it would be if we were to ever try and do that.

Which, y'know, we obviously aren't going to. Because that silly ol' Mayor told us not to.

It was that dragon's roar, I just know it! It caused an earthquake! (*gulp!*)
Did you already fight the dragon? And... Did you win?!
Yeppers.

You defeated the dragon?! Amazing! I can't believe my town has produced a Dragon Slayer...
You are to be congratulated. Amazing! Anyway, that's enough of this dungeon-digging!
This is an order from your Mayor. From me!

Your new job is to act as a tour guide.
I'll be in charge of walking tours of the dungeon?
Precisely. And you'll explain to everyone just how you defeated that dragon.

This is a reward for all your hard work, which is now over!
I was never in it for the fame... It's my job...

oh my thank you i couldnt have earned more money in about 5 minutes nope

Family...?
That's right! You and me are like family, aren't we?

As generically anime as this seems (and, well, is), consider how small the town is. And how these two are the only ones that aren't adults or like 5 years old...

That's true...
(Um...)
First, let me tell you my opinion.
I agree with the Mayor. It's time to stop working as a Dungeon Digger!
The Elder Dragon was very clear about it.
The Devil Prince won't come if the dungeon only has nine floors.

Okay, it's your turn to say your opinion!

Owen? Giving an opinion? Asking for a lot there.

Well, even if the Devil

I think it'd be even more dangerous if he entered our world in an unknown location.
If we can get him to come here, then at least we have a chance to defeat him.
If he shows up in some unknown location, then we'll have no chance at all.
Yeah...
That's why I think we should lure him into our dungeon.
We'll have to carefully explain this to the Mayor, and get him to understand.
I doubt that'll be possible. All he cares about is money.

Well, she's not wrong.

But this does very definitely create a bit of a dilemma: do we just give up and let the prince guy be someone else's problem...

Or do we throw caution to the wind and just keep on digging?

I think we all know the answer already though...

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
It would be amusing if he started signing his letters as Dungeon Digger, Dragon Slayer

But who would be write letters to...

Ok, does anyone have the address of the Devil Lord?

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 25, 2015

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
*intense wind blows by* God dammit! I was trying to hold onto caution, but the wind just took it. Welp! I guess we all know what we needs to be done now.

...bump this to the next page if possible. There's four updates on this page and they aren't exactly small. What did you think I meant?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh please. We all know he's got a demon prince to slay! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GODS! :black101: But...doesn't that mean we'll also have a princess, King and Queen to deal with in the future? Defeating the prince can't be the end.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That's not exactly the dragon design I was expecting.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Heh, yeah the monster design isn't half bad in this game. That's certainly a... different kind of dragon that you normally encounter in games.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I liked the dragon.

This game is fun to watch, and I'm glad you're playing it because this is just the right kind of game I'd lose myself in for weeks at a time. Even worse since it's a handheld title.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Echoing everybody else: that is a great derpy horse-faced dragon.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's a dragon who's somebody's weird uncle. Feels like the kind of relationship he'd have with the Devil Prince anyway.

Is lifesteal dark elemental?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
In an effort to get to the next page, here's some slight criticism, too: The latest update makes it feel like the LP evolved into just showing screenshots of villager banter, new enemies on a battle screen, "you got item" screens and stat screens of the aforementioned. I don't have any idea what your ninth floor actually looks like. I feel like i had a better grasp of that kind of thing in earlier updates.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

That's fair, and something I was sort of thinking about in the back of my mind. Part of it is that the actual designing part is pretty similar between floors, and the requirements at this point are "the same as before but with even more rooms" which I wouldn't think would be very interesting to read.

e;

Glazius posted:

Is lifesteal dark elemental?

I'm pretty sure its non-elemental in that sense. It doesn't do anything to undead monsters (like the spooks or skeletons) though, which is kinda clever.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 26, 2015

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So at this point, Owen is your main tank/physical attacker, Kate's your mage, and Gloop has basically been reduced to your healbot?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

W.T. Fits posted:

So at this point, Owen is your main tank/physical attacker, Kate's your mage, and Gloop has basically been reduced to your healbot?

Kind of interesting considering earlier in the game Own and Gloop's roles were reversed.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Good morning...
We've got a major problem... Come on inside. We have to talk!

Please ensure that construction on the dungeon continues as before.
Refuse my request, and I shall make sure you join me here in Hell... where we can talk things over for all eternity.
-Devil Prince
Wh-What's this all about? Join him in Hell? Wh-Wh-What does he mean by that?!

Something like that...?
Eek! I knew it! How terrifying!
I guess that's comes from leaving a devil alone to do its mischief!

Tempt the Devil Prince to enter your dungeon, and then defeat him!
In the meantime, I'll be hiding in my house... (*shiver*)
How terrifying. How truly, truly terrifying...

He seems pretty scared. I can't say I blame him, though...

Oh, good morning.
I heard everything. A letter from the Devil Prince? I was thinking...
You wrote the letter yourself, didn't you?

No devil would write a childish letter like that.
I can't believe the Mayor was fooled by it!
Better apologize to him later...

(Un?)Fortunately, there's not much to do in town this time around.

So we'll just jump straight into the cave and begin to really work on B10.

What's wrong?
There... next to the entrance.
The note that's always there is gone. It says something different now...

What's going on here? How rude! Some monster must have wrote written this.
Look, the monster even signed it. Over here...
Signed it? You're kidding...!

If people are writing stuff like this, then the dungeon must still have a way to go.
Does this mean the Devil Prince has been in the dungeon?
It must...

What'll we do if he's still inside?
Do you think he's in there...?
I hope he is. If the Devil Prince is in there, then all we need to do is beat him...

Huh?
I mean, we can save the world from this crisis, right?
Yeah, why not!
Are you sure you're not more worried about the dungeon's depth than the world's crisis?
Well, yeah. I'm a Dungeon Digger...
...I guess that just means you take your job seriously...

Okay, so since this is the last floor we'll be a bit smarter with this one. And that means starting with some Trash Dumps above the Dojo I stuck there previously.

Some Chapels opposite it as well. Because gonna need lots of expensive stuff again.

Speaking of Chapels, we can fight these new Warcat Queens in them this time around. Although in this case, it's just from the Flower Field. They're not much of a threat of course.

Adjacent to the Flower Field, there's a set of Plush Beds, Hearths and Fountains.

The Plush Beds are important for having nothing but new cats and dogs. Emperor Dogs are things we cannot oneshot right now and are basically weaker versions of Master Warriors.

Weird as it sounds, adjacent to the Trash Dumps I'm making a little area that's a 3x3 square... and temporarily closing the entrance. Just in case.

Oh, the Magic Store owner. Good morning.
Is it true that you're going to fight a devil?
Well, yeah. It won't be easy.
Do you realize how powerful a devil's magic is?
No, how powerful is it?
Really, really powerful.
You don't say. Really, really powerful, huh?

And you don't, you silly spade?

Really? Like what?
You know... Some Magic Shop stuff.
Good grief. Do you have any idea what he's talking about? I sure don't!
Look who's talking...

For the Mirror Covering, I think we're going to need something new to even begin to find it.

So, to the Furniture Shop we go!

According to the man who works at the Magic Shop, you need an extremely precious piece of treasure known as the Mirror Covering!
Since this is such a precious item, even monsters won't carry it on their person!
They won't even put it into an ordinary treasure chest! That's why I've prepared this Silver Chest, just for you!

Well, you may get lucky and find it on the first try. You know how it is with treasure chests...
You never know what you'll find inside. It's hard to say for sure...!
At any rate, give it a shot! Try it, try it!

I, uh, sorta forgot to buy one right now. It's fine though. It'll work out later, I swear.

More graffiti... The Devil Prince has paid us another visit.
It's strange... Almost like he came to check it out and then changed his mind again.
"So this is the best a human can do?" Sounds like he's been in again. Think he's still there?
If he is, then all we have to do is beat him.

Yeah. I'm looking forward to it.
Are you sure you know how serious this situation is...?

Having spent all of our money on even more rooms, we'll start by throwing down 3 more Plush Beds directly opposite our currently vacant 3x3 square.

Then remember that there's new slimes in the Trash Dumps and I did this for a reason. Venomslimes are tanky, tanky jerks.

Because they do this almost all the time. And it will always poison. Sleep+Destruction is the best way to handle them by far.

Might as well also clean out every other monster on the floor while I remember too. When doing so, the Warcat Queen was kind enough to drop some new armor for Kate.

It's not much of an increase over the Valkyries, but it's something I guess. No reason to not use it.

And then the Emperor Dog gave Owen his armor as well. How generous!

Technically worse than the Halter, oddly enough. You'd think being actual armor would mean it's better.

So, once the sole path to traverse gets very, very close to the wall by the north, we'll split it into two. The left branch being where a lot of rooms get placed. The right-side'll get rooms later (sorta ran out) but it's also primarily for progressing to the obvious boss spawn point.

So, how about that Silver Chest? 4,000G isn't too shabby but we want two right now. They add 1 a day to its stock, of course, so we'll grab the second tomorrow.

The Mayor told me I should help you out in any way I can. So...
I decided I should make you a new staff! It's called the Recovery Staff.
If you hit an enemy with it, it will replenish your friends' HP! Great, huh?

If you can find a Life Stone, I'll make you a Recovery Staff...

A Life Stone, huh? I'm not sure an item that recovers 25% of your HP will be usefu- oh wait wrong game.

I guess we need a new room for this one as well then.

What?

No, we want to use it to make a Recovery Staff.
That's what the girl at the Weapon Shop wants it for, but it's also used to create a monster called Demon Armor.
That's what it's called when you take armor, breath life into it, and make it fight by itself.
You can do this in a magical Laboratory.
A Laboratory... Do you have one?
Of course. I knew you'd find it useful, so I had one made.

Well... that's new.

Are you sure that's okay with you?
Well, why not...? I ordered it to help you out, not to make a profit.
I figured I could help bring world peace in my own way, by helping you out with useful rooms.
After all, without peace, I can't sell my wares, you know!
Heh, I guess I just wanted to continue my commerce after all...

True to his word, it only costs 8000G. It also just happens to be a 3x3 room with a single entrance. How convenient that I just so happened to dig a 3x3 square!

More graffiti... He's coming here every day.
This almost looks like he's asking me a question. Think I should write an answer?

This should do it...

So, the reason for buying 2 Silver Chests is going to sound weird but it's so I could put one on the very first floor. It doesn't give anything interesting (just the 2nd floor's Iron Chest loot), but having it filled will add the Silver Key to the monster drops even on this floor. Makes it easy to collect them.

Of course, on the 10th floor, it goes opposite the Iron Chest. Speaking of which, the Iron Chest here contains...

A lot of really easy to get food. Well, it's more convenient than running around my 3rd floor for the Firepig I guess.

To the surprise of probably no one, I'll stick the Laboratory in that 3x3 square I dug out earlier. It doesn't really look like much of a lab, though.

Hey, this is good to get so quickly. I expected it to take a bit longer, since Venomslimes have many ring drops.

Exactly none of them new or good.

Also, whoops I forgot to talk to the magic shopcook.

Uh-oh! He's mad... But now I'm mad too! A "mere human," he says?!
I guess we won't be making friends with a devil...

Grabbed this on the first floor, exactly as planned.

And immediately flipped it for this.

Easier than it sounds, because a chest's contents are actually determined when you open it. Just save then reload until it contains the item you want. I have totally not abused this to get new things the entire time, nope. Don't know why you'd think that. :v:

So, hey, Demon Armors. Not a big threat on their own, even if their armor makes them look like they're from Wonderland. And also sticking their tongue out at us.

Even with other things, not necessarily a large threat. After all this is their normal damage.

But they can cast Strengthen which isn't exactly a good thing to be on the other side of.

And their special attack is Devastation. Even worse thing to be on the other side of!

They can drop some Sinister armor, including the ring.

It's basically all an upgrade for us too.

And of course their head can teach Gloop the Strengthen spell for good measure. Even if it is awful to actually have.

No Life Stone just yet, but they did also cough up some new actual armor as well.

And the Emperor Dog gave up his sword to boot.

It is a very nice sword to have, by far. It's the best weapon on the floor, even!

After placing a few more rooms along the north-eastern side of the area, the floor turns white again. Unfortunately, we've still got a long way to go for the boss to spawn...

Oh right, and because I forgot to talk to him about this before he'll give us this spiel before we can hand over the Mirror Coating.

Even though they have venom, that doesn't mean you can't eat them!
All you have to do is cook them, and the venom will boil away. I'd like to try some myself...
Wait a second! You've got some, don't you! You have some Dry Venomslime! Where is it?!

Okay, I'll get it for you! New magic, coming right up!
Also, I wanted to ask you one more thing.
Sure, go ahead. (*sigh*) Ask away...
Why is it that whenever we kill a Slime, it turns into a Dry Slime right there on the spot?

(That's not an answer...)

Just turn around and try this again.

So you did.. I'll make some new magic with this.
When I do, you'll have to start a fight that you might not survive.

That's not what's happening...
We're not children. We're adults, working as Dungeon Diggers!
I see... I'm the Magic Shop owner, and you're a Dungeon Digger.
I better get to work, then! I'll make you some new magic.
Make sure you come back here tomorrow...

So, that Venomslime makes a REALLY good dish, geez. +5 to Constitution is a massive jump, and it's even kind enough to give a little Strength for good measure.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

That letter was amazing.

Nuffkins
Apr 20, 2014
To the LPer: I am the Devil Prince and I eagerly await the next update. However, you have not posted it yet. If the LP is not completed, I shall be really sad. Please ensure the LP continues as before. Refuse my request, and I shall be sad... for all eternity.
-Devil Prince

e: C'mon everybody! Let's get to page 10 and defeat Dragonatrix.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I would not be surprised if we found out that the demon prince is younger than our protagonists, judging by the way he writes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Nuffkins posted:

e: C'mon everybody! Let's get to page 10 and defeat Dragonatrix.

Let's at least get to page 4 so Dragonatrix doesn't defeat our bandwidth.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

This has been a quiet thread, but this game is really fun to read. I'm not sure I could have made it though playing it though. (Back when I had more time I would have been able to though :v:)

Looking forward to seeing the demon prince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
So is it weird to anyone else that Kate keeps mentioning the 11th floor when we're currently supposed to be working on the 10th floor?

Error... or conspiracy? :tinfoil:

• Locked thread