Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
If Owen kills the Devil Prince in the 10th floor today, he can start working on the 11th floor tomorrow. He keeps not being able to kill the Devil Prince today, though, so the 11th floor has to wait. At least, that's what I got out of the dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
That or Kate has realized that Owen only makes any livelyhood digging dungeons, and has clearly already resigned herself to spending her life with him...

Also dang, I'm totally on the edge of my seat with this now. I'm really liking this game. It's charming, and simple, and seems to really not try to let go of your hand as far as guiding you through playing the game successfully. Not too many games out there that actively want you to win them.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Also, after having everyone else basically push him around all game due to being a JRPG protagonist, it's nice to see Owen pull a fast one on the Mayor like that (and let's be honest, if anyone deserves it, the Mayor does). :allears:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Choco1980 posted:

That or Kate has realized that Owen only makes any livelyhood digging dungeons, and has clearly already resigned herself to spending her life with him...

Naw, not resigned. She's going to make him build an 11th floor, fill it with flower gardens and plush beds and poo poo, and then put a bigass lock on the door and have a badass dungeon home.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Owen needs to dig even deeper so he can become the chillest, most laid-back Dungeon Digger/new Ruler of Hell.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I like how the Devil Prince signs his graffiti with (DEATH) at the bottom. Hopefully those correspondences between Owen and the prince continue :allears:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Real talk: would you live in a free house if you knew the architect would try to murder you at some point in the future?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Mzbundifund posted:

Real talk: would you live in a free house if you knew the architect would try to murder you at some point in the future?

If I knew that the architect was armed, had access to a magical arsenal and was the protagonist of a JRPG, hell no.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 28, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Mzbundifund posted:

Only if it had at least three chests and seven garbage dumps. :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That depends, how high a level is this architect?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Just high enough level to beat you if his equipment has the right resistances.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I think I'd just raze the nearby village first. Maybe wait to do it while the Digger's in the dungeon slaughtering the current inhabitants so there's no one there to stop me, then ambush the Digger and his party when they return home after a long day of slaying and are potentially exhausted.

And then I'd still lose and get killed because my luck sucks. :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Based on that signature, I think the devil prince is a bratty kid. Or at least a bratty middle-schooler.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

I think I'd just raze the nearby village first. Maybe wait to do it while the Digger's in the dungeon slaughtering the current inhabitants so there's no one there to stop me, then ambush the Digger and his party when they return home after a long day of slaying and are potentially exhausted.

And then I'd still lose and get killed because my luck sucks. :v:

Isn't that kind of the exact thing the Dungeon Digger is doing?

Nuffkins
Apr 20, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Master of the Human Lair

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Hey, you see a winning strategy in action, might as well roll with it and see where it takes you. :v: #metagaming

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

This magic will repel the enemy's magic. The stronger your enemy is, the better this will work.

Not entirely true, not entirely false either. We'll cover that later though.

See, I can make magic! You never knew I had it in me, did you?
I guess you can make more than just food then...
I still prefer to make food, don't get me wrong!
But now's not the time to worry about what's fun and what isn't, I guess...

Okay, so, yeah. Barrier is a single-target spell that basically functions as a positive status effect. It lasts until it's hit by a spell, or a fight ends, whichever comes first. Damage inflicted on the caster is a little bit more complicated than "stronger enemy takes more damage" though.

Anyway, we also gave him Venomslime so there's this too.

Oh, by the way! I found an answer to why Slimes turn into Dry Slimes when you beat them!
Really? Why?

(That's not an answer...)

We already know what Devastation does. It costs another 10,000G and I'll buy it later. Probably.

More graffiti... He's coming here every day.

He's also stopped using his little signature. :(

Anyway, we already have a Silver Key so we'll pop open this right away.

The Sylph Bow is a very nice weapon for Kate. It's not effect-oriented unlike the most recent staves, so if she kills something with it that's not an annoyance. It's welcome.

Not really much to the floor at this point, so we'll just keep slicing through the Demon Armor until we get this.

Something that helps, but isn't immediately obvious, and I forgot about before is that they're weak to Light. Sure, works for me.

Really not much to today's excursion, just placing a few more rooms in obvious places and killing more things.

I can use this to make a Recovery Staff. I'll work on it all night long, so come back tomorrow...
I should have it ready for you by then. I'll work really hard on it, for you guys.

Immediately grabbing this before I forget.

It took all night long, just like I thought it would. I really need my beauty sleep, but oh well...
Hehe, it was fun to make... I wanted to make all you guys happy, so I did my best!
Here, please take it. Good luck, everyone...
Thank you...

So, I don't even consider equipping this right now. It could come in handy later though. Like with the previous two staves, if her attack kills the thing it hits then the healing effect cannot happen.

Neither, thanks...

Just place a couple more rooms up north, grab this new helmet for Owen...

Not much of an upgrade, and not much of a day to speak of either.

What's this supposed to mean? He seems like he's in a hurry or something...

Next day is even less interesting, but since we've gotten close to what I think is the rank requirement (250) now it gets trickier to figure out what's the problem.

That's horrible... So people and bugs all look the same to him?

Even if we get 250 via stuff like Plush Beds, Hearths and Fountains there won't be enough monsters. Laboratories and Dojos are an easy 9 to that requirement so placing down another two Labs in the top-right corner.

Hah!

Somehow, even that wasn't quite enough to do it. I know, I'm shocked too. We're quickly running out of space though, so one more Laboratory over to the left SHOULD do it. If not, then we've gotta rearrange some things just to get room for more, uh, rooms.

"Oh, shut up. How self-important for a devil. -Dungeon Digger"
Okay, now this is just two children arguing...

Well, she said it herself at least?

Anyway, it's at this point that the Devil Prince presumably sticks around which is perfect because if he didn't...

The messages outside would begin looping now. Yeah, there was a lot of unique ones for if you take a while which is nice at least.

Devil Prince

Devil Prince Interlude

...Well that's not what I expected the Prince to look like. At all.

You little twerp! This is unacceptable!
Huh...?
This dungeon is hardly fit for a prince like myself!

Dude, no, that's not how this works. You do not get to be tsundere about a dungeon layout. :colbert:

Well--
Still... I guess it'll have to do.

Why--
I want to kill all the humans! All of them!
You--
What happened to my dragon...?
I asked him to design this dungeon to suit my status, but I don't see him anywhere around here...
We--

Yes, we--
Hmph. Well, I guess you don't do a bad job of digging dungeons... I'll tell you what.

And there's the last mistake.

Actually, it's our dungeon. Not yours.

Devil Prince

So, the Devil Prince is definitely the hardest and lengthiest fight thus far. Only fitting for the final boss, huh?

He's not really someone that sticks to one thing the entire time. He also has no particular weakness. So we gotta chip away at his almost-800HP over time. It, uh, it takes a while.

But this helps, a lot. He's got a bit of a penchant for spellcasting, so Barrier comes in handy by far. It deals damage for each person the spell reflects off.

This is because of how it determines the damage inflicted. It doesn't use the caster's Wisdom for the defence side. It uses the intended targets. The less Wisdom you have, the more damage gets reflected.

Oh, right, yeah. He uses both an Ice and Fire spell so don't bother considering using elemental resistance armor. It won't help all that much, and leaves you vulnerable too.

Owen with the Caesar Sword and Strengthen is pretty much the best bet for damage. An unleash would be nice, but since I don't like relying on the Attack Ring it's staggeringly unlikely.

Of course he has physicals as well. He even has a basic physical attack which isn't interesting other than "it exists."

Being a physical, having Barrier does nothing for it. Even better is that once he drops below half health he almost never casts spells anyway. It's almost like he's competent or something.

Also that dealt more than half of Owen's health. Owen who is by far our tankiest dude with just over 100 Defence between his natural Con and heavy armour. Quite worrying!

Also this being a long fight, I even break into the items a couple times for once. Shocking, I know. I almost never do that at this point because I never buy them to begin with. :v:

...Oh and he has another physical as well. Because of course he does. 2 special physicals, 2 spells and a regular attack. Guy has five different attacks.

(that damage is a hellfire reflecting off gloop)

Once again, he's kind of sort of competent. Especially in comparison to everything else ever. So half of his attacks are multi-target and nasty. The other half are single-target and even more nasty. Granted, this is without ever stopping to grind which I think you're expected to do but that's not the point!

Even more item use, what is this sorcery?

Anyway, uh, normal potions being Heal without the Wisdom modifier, Recovery Potions are upgraded ones so they're Heal All without the Wisdom modifier. But Cure as a bonus so, uh, easy 200HP in a bottle. Plus status restoration.

The latter doesn't help here, but since Kate's the least useful for damage it gives her a way to contribute when everyone's hurting or something. Gloop's overall very slightly better but only with either Master Warrior or Emperor Dog arms; they can help sometimes with their specials.

Aside from the damage output being higher than anything else to date, and requiring pretty frequent patching it's still not a hard fight necessarily. It could snowball badly, if someone drops, but since turn order's always very favourable it never matters too much.

End

Huh, I guess there is an 11th floor?

That was amazing, Buddy! Now you're a hero.

Even me!
I'm too tired to celebrate right now...
Me too. Let's head back to town...
Alright, fellow heroes! Let's move out!

We also got this, but the game doesn't tell you that.

I guess we could also see what mysteries await below that ladder but there's nothing else to do. Let's just go back to town, sell our loot as per usual and see what wacky scheme the Mayor has ne-

Or not. There's no one around at all. The Magic Shop guy's gone, the Weapon Store trader's left her post, Mayor's MIA. Even that kid what sells vegetables isn't there.

Woody's still at his place though.

Ah, hello.
What are you doing here? All the townsfolk are at your house.

His new job is "spoiler of surprises," I guess. So let's just go home.

Oh no, the Mayor's here? What a surprise. :geno:

Yes. We beat him...
Whoa! You saved us. You saved both my life, and the world!

I wonder if my magic is what did the trick...
Thank you! Now I can stop worrying and get back to my job of expanding the town!
The entire town is singing your praises, Dungeon Digger! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Oh wait. I should stop treating you like a boy now, huh...? Ahem. Nice work!

Thanks!
(This is the first time I've ever talked to this kid...)
The hero who saved the world lives in my town... Isn't that wonderful!
Dungeon digger, you should be a little more proud!
Yes, sir.

The tourists will pour in from miles around, just to have a look at you!
And they'll all bring their money with them... Bwahahah, isn't it great!
Dungeon Digger, what's it like to save the world?

Yeah, you need to realise how important you are.
Don't just stand there with your mouth open like a dolt. Act like a hero!
Boy, there's nothing wrong with showing a little pride at a time like this.
Let us hear how you feel! Come on...

psst owen dude you're meant to lie at times like this!

Huh?
Wha'?
And I should get back to digging my dungeon, tomorrow, so if you'll excuse me...
All right, but you'll keep buying my furniture, right?!
Yeah, I'll keep buying furniture...

Oh well, I guess if this is what we're meant to do...

And end credits! Seriously, this is the end. There's nothing more to see. That line about going back to dig tomorrow is just a sequel hook that never got followed up on (arguably for the best, because what we got instead has one of the best game mechanics ever).

There's nothing left to do. Go on home; we're done here.

Leave.

What are you waiting for?

Well okay, fine. There is still the entire second half "post-game" left to go.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Opps?

Nuffkins
Apr 20, 2014
Out with the bad writing, in with the bad formatting! What next? Will the Devil Second Cousin only use emoji?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Entire second half?! :psyduck: Man, this is gonna take a while... And a whole lot of money.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
And then the Demon King killed everybody the end!

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

"You! What did you do to my son? No, seriously, he won't tell me and he's been locked up in his room for days. Whenever I ask him he just says 'Dungeon Digger' this, 'Dungeon Digger' that. What did you do?"
-The Demon King

Schir fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 30, 2015

Nuffkins
Apr 20, 2014
hey, it could be The Demon Queen for all we know! wait, nevermind, the games industry wouldn't do that. totally forgot about sexism in video games for a second there haha whoops my bad.

e: Also, I'm a little disappointed. Gloop would get so dope if it could take body parts from bosses.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

"gently caress you Dungeon Digger, I want a floor made of Diamond Coated Hell Thrones."
-- The Demon King

Then the Dungeon Digger grew too old before he could afford the rooms, the end.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do all the down stairs look like that? Because that one looks like it goes "down" to heaven.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I guess we made Daddy mad. Oops? :shobon:

(What is this letter? Let's see; it continues on...)

Thanks for the warning? Now the assassin, uh, isn't.

(Devil Lord... Devil Lord? This must be the Devil Prince's father. He wants vengeance for his son's death...?)

Oh, um, good morning...
Hmm?

Oh, this is nothing. Nothing...
Really?
(I don't want to scare her with all this deadly Bogbeast talk...)

I don't exactly think that... never mind.

So, not much to do in town right now. Just gotta buy all 2 Fields that are in stock in the furniture store and some Fancy Beds to go with it.

This seems like a weird mistake right now, but it isn't really. The 11th floor is a fantastic reprieve, y'see.

Really?
Let's just place a bunch of Fields and attract a lot of monsters.
We can open a Magic Hole once we get 50 monsters! Let's go through before the Bogbeast traps us.
I get the feeling that the 12th floor is going to be even more fun, with more weird monsters!
Hmph...

So, yeah, our goal here is just to get 50 monsters spawn. There's even a super-low Rank requirement of 80. No needed rooms or amount of rooms or anything.

From this point onwards, all floors are gonna start off with both chests at the entrance. It's worked out well so far at least.

This is probably the most boring floor to date, including how fillerish the fourth one felt. There's very little to it, which is both good and bad. Just gotta stick a handful of big 3x3 rooms with some little one here and there.

If we make our way to the bottom left corner, weaving between those blocks, we can find more Olive Oil.

The floor being superstraight forward is good for our wallet and being able to get it done quickly. But bad because it's just so dull.

Despite how it seems, no, she doesn't want us to go and collect a Sleeper. She's just telling us it exists, which is good enough for me.

So, Fields are good for this floor for two reasons. The most obvious is that they're the cheapest 3x3 room and have four doorways. Another is that they give the floors whole two new enemies. Hole Moles are weak as heck and otherwise uninteresting in terms of "dudes we fight".

Lumberducks are super-punk, have a big axe and... aren't threatening either. They both deal a whopping 1 damage with their normal attacks and around 20-30 with their specials which aren't great otherwise.

Iron Chests are pretty decent still for things like this.

Or everything else they can cough up. Lots of food and Gold Helms/Sylph Bows sell for an okay amount too.

Though the Clams, at least, are fairly redundant since Lumberducks give up most of the Seafood items pretty freely.

Moles, conversely, give us their legs which we can cook and eat too...

What? You don't even know how to eat a Mole Leg? You're a strange one, aren't you?
Everyone knows how to prepare a Mole Leg!
Are you sure...?
You make Mole and Potatoes!
Use Dry Fish Flakes for flavor and boil the Mole Leg with a Potato.

(He's got to be kidding... Is he serious?)

Kidding or not, it's a pretty good recipe for both Owen and Kate. Boosting HP, MP, Strength and Wisdom makes it surprisingly useful and versatile. Sure, the numbers aren't as big as they could be if it was more specialised but it saves so much time and farming that I can't help but like it.

Wish the same could be said for the actual floor.

More fields, more rooms that are just there to fill space and time.

Running out of ways to make this floor good leads to a radical new idea: what if a Field connected to another Field?!

Also the moles sometimes drop their pelts which are another "sell for money" item.

That Sleeper is a sword we can find in the Silver Chest here.

It's a pretty nice upgrade over the Caesar Blade and it casts a single-target Sleep when you stab dudes as well.

Speaking of nice weapons, the Lumberducks have a new axe for, uh, Gloop I guess. Their arms are the best thing to mimic here and only allow axe use.

It's not quite as strong as the Sleeper and its effect isn't necessarily as good either. But, y'know, it's an axe. It's functional enough.

Trash Dumps give a variety of slimes on non-specific floors. Makes getting the Venomslime drop slightly more annoying but not by much.

Good news is we're just about done with this floor already. Also get Kate some new armour from the Silver Chest too.

It's a decent enough upgrade and if we get more than one, they sell for 2600G apiece which is pretty great too.

The other treasures aren't worth writing home about. Tentacles are easier to get from the 9th floor's Iron, Platinum Coins are just filler and Superhuman Rings...

Yeah, uh, I'll pass thanks.

Small mercies in that the boss spawns really easily, I guess. If not, this floor would be a super-tedious slog.

Bogbeast

Y'know, for once this looks basically like what I expected. Except not as green.

Huh? What are you talking about? Devil Lord?! I haven't heard of any Devil Lord!
Well, I got a letter from the Devil Lord...
He said he was going to get revenge for what we did to his son, the Devil Prince...

Yeah, but even if we beat this monster, another one will be coming to take its place.
Fine with me. We'll just have to beat them all! We beat the Devil Prince... There's no going back!
Uh, are you two done talking? The Bogbeast is coming right at us!
I'm gonna go hide, I think. Good luck, you guys!

So, the Bogbeast hits kind of hard but he's generally not that big of a threat.

Except that, well, his attacks stun very frequently.

Plus side is that he doesn't have much health, so Owen with the Sleeper and Strengthen will ruin this guy.

And, of course, Stun is a negative ailment so Cure will remove it immediately. Probably what Gloop's going to be stuck doing all fight.

In a rare change of pace, Kate's actually going to cast Lifesteal a lot. Not for the healing aspect, no that's worthless.

But because it's her best method of attack. The big ol' pile of sludge isn't weak to either Fire or Ice.

Oh and this is the only skill the Bogbeast has. Instead of hitting one person with a chance to stun...

He hits everyone with a chance to stun. At least he knows what he really wants to do.

All in all, really not a long or hard fight. No complaints here.

End

Instead of getting something to give to the mayor, we actually get an accessory for our own use from this guy.

The Gaia Ring is actually very good and nice and I'm giving it to Kate. That +8 Defence gives enough of a boost to push her over 100! Hurray!

The 12th floor is, uh, a bit weird looking huh? Basically a giant expanse of nothing with a handful of walls over on the far, far left. Very different to the norm.

Getting a bit of a headstart as per usual, we'll start off with 3 Altars this time around. Not because it helps with the floor necessarily, but it does have something we want all the same.

Gonna need a bunch of 3x3 spaces. The Laboratory is occupying one because it's very helpful and I just had it sat in my inventory still. :v:

And that's all there is from this floor. A lot shorter than we're used to, but that's partly the floor itself being short to its benefit.

It's also because from hereon in, there's just less things to do in town and stuff anyway. At least we can always get new food for the Magic Shop guy still, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This kinda feels like the game was originally supposed to end at the 10th floor and they just decided to tack on a few extra floors pretty late in the schedule.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
"What did you do to my son? Never mind, i don't want to know or even care if you're the right person, have a hitman set to target you. Bye"

Now that's what i call a Demon Lord. A far cry from some lovely brat waging grafitti wars with a construction worker.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Demon Lord, we stuffed and mounted your son's butler over the front gates. Anything he does from then on, well, that's on him.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Oh, good morning.
Preparations are well underway for the Stuffed Dragon Tour.
I've received several inquiries from other towns.
I even received a letter from the next kingdom over, to the east of here!

A... Shogun?
I told him it would be too dangerous, but... It is too dangerous, right?
He said he'd pay us back in all sorts of ways if we let him go in...
All sorts of ways?
Presents for the town, of course!
But the dungeon's... Well, it's too...
Too dangerous? Really? Are you sure?
Yeah. I'm sorry...

What a pity. Goodbye, then! Take care!

...Hey, Shovel...
Yeah?!
Is Shogun Wolf... human?

I knew it...
He's the boss of the Samurai Wolves!
They must be interested in taking over our dungeon.
I don't think they'll give up just because the Mayor told them no.

If a new Mahic Hole opens up, they'll set up camp there!
So that's what that letter was all about...

Yeah, so as is going to be a recurring trend at this point there's very little to do in town now. Just gotta buy a few rooms and move on.

Wolves all think they're better than Wardogs, so we need something better than Straw Beds for them.
Make rows of Plush Beds. That should attract lots of Samurai Wolves!
After we get enough Samurais, the Shogun Wolf will be next!

As is also going to be a recurring thing, we're basically done with dialogue until the end of the floor now. How, uh, nice? Anyway, let's deal with these guys in the altars.

Not because they're new or have interesting new drops or anything like that. No, they're basically the same old Spooks we've always dealt with.

They're just kind enough to give Gloop the multi-target Fire/Ice spells at this point too. Pretty useful!

Surprising probably no one, those big 3x3 gaps we left are getting filled with Dojos. Lots of them.

Oh and the Lab still just has Demon Armors and Wizardrills. Nothing new there.

I guess some of the drops that we never got before kind of vaguely count. The spear is okay, I guess. Would've been nicer to have earlier though.

Also going to have to throw down a lot of Plush Beds like Shovel said. This isn't as expensive a floor as it may seem, which is both nice and yet not really a problem if it was. Keep an eye on the amount of money in the top-corner and you'll see.

Anyway, new things! Potbellies are weird sentient Darumas tat have a big spear and that's basically it.

Samurai Wolves are secretly just furry Warriors. Their basic attack can deal more than 1 damage to Owen which is kind of a problem.

Also Kate cannot one-shot either of these with her multitarget spells. At least not yet.

Samurai Wolves drop a lot of weird random food items. I guess we just loot their food bags rather than their bodies sometimes.

Just gonna put these Fountains over here. No real major reason; it's easy Rank and the Platypus and Warpenguins drop fish which is good for Wisdom.

Oh right, keys. Umm....

The Iron Chest's nice for some easy, random food I guess. Also the equipment sells for a decent amount if we get that instead.

The Silver Chest has 3 things we'll actually pick up other than these. The Slime is an okay alternative but...

The Holy Mace is a new club weapon. It deals Light elemental damage which is nice for random undeads, not a big issue for anything else. Mostly.

Anyway, sort of just goin' through the motions here now. Samurai Wolves drop this new helmet which is pretty decent an upgrade, I guess.

They also drop a Wolf Ring which is just +5 Defence, which is nice for Kate since she doesn't need stuff which ups Attack and all.

Not the best thing in the Silver Chest, no. Attack Ring but a bit better, I think? It seems to up the rate a bit more but that's hard to say for sure.

A bunch more filler rooms up north, because I sort of need them. Not for the floors actual requirements; I just need more rooms in general.

Samurai Wolves drop this. It'd be nice if it was different to the one we've had since like the 8th floor.

And then there's this too. New armor for Owen and/or Gloop. Very ho hum.

Hey look, a Potbelly drop now. It's a very nice upgraded Spear and it sells for a decent chunk too.

Also these. Just the newest boots and everyone can use 'em. Nothing fancy here either.

Last thing in the Silver Chest. It's not super-great but its good for general magic defence granting 20 points of resistance to all 3 elements.

Finally! These floors are kinda super-repetitive for the most part. This one wasn't helped by basically being a giant expanse of nothing.

So, anyway, about that Shogun...

Shogun Wolf

He wants to make this place his fortress. Why can't he just build his own if he wants one that badly...?
If he thinks he can take our dungeon, the he's got another thing comin'!

So, the Shogun Wolf... also not really a hard fight. Kate's mostly just going to spam Lifesteal since its non-elemental and her best damaging attack as a result. Wolf fur doesn't burn as well as you'd think.

Oh wait, um, oops. Forgot to switch Owen's Holy Mace for something useful. This'll be a bit of a problem.

Even with Strengthen, can barely crack 20 damage because it's Light-elemental and bosses have elemental resistances. Bleh.

Since we're still at the beginning of the postgame/second half thing, Shogun Wolf doesn't have many tricks. A basic attack which is just a decent amount of damage...

And one special skill.

Hits harder and is multi-target. That's it. Shogun Wolf just likes lots of damage with no tricks or quirks.

So we just hit him a lot and then he dies.

End

Reward for this guy is a nice, new Katana. It's a nice upgrade over the first and getting used immediately.

Thirteenth floor's general design doesn't seem dissimilar to the 12th.

What we're actually after though is very different to everything we've done to date. Just gonna put down a couple Flower Fields, a bunch of Chapels and some Plush Beds too.

And that's it for this floor. 11th and 12th were kind of just rote and uninteresting in the end, huh...

At least the 13th is a bit different to the norm from what I remember. Now the question is whether or not my memory can be trusted here.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Yeah, get your own magic shovel and dungeon, Mr. Wolf. :colbert:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are these dungeons going to change any, once the monsters take them over? I mean, they can't really shovel out their own dungeons, can they?

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Glazius posted:

Are these dungeons going to change any, once the monsters take them over? I mean, they can't really shovel out their own dungeons, can they?

No, but I'm sure they could hire a certain dungeon digger to do it for them.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

(Another letter from the Devil Lord...)
(Still, it doesn't look like a death threat...)

Argh! Uh... um... I...
What's wrong? Don't tell me you got another letter from the Devil Lord?
How did you know?

Women's intuition.

Don't tell me... Is it another death threat?
No, he just said his daughter was going to pay me a visit...
I'm supposed to take good care of her, I guess.

Or the next date. Either, or.

Umm... Well, yeah, that must be it...

Right, so we'll just buy a bunch more rooms that we used before. And also this Field for reasons.

Hmm?
The Devil Lord's daughter!
Oh...
The Devil Princess's minions must be female monsters. Warcats, Forked Cats, that stuff...

Wow, Shovel. Wow.

Flower Gardens... Makes sense.

Okay, so this floor is really light on new monsters. All the rooms we placed just contain upgraded versions of ones we've fought before. For, uh, a given definition of upgraded.

They drop new equipment that we can flip for mad cash though.

Lots of the stuff. It's all better than what we currently have, as well.

Mage Cats drop this bow which is a decent upgrade for Kate. The poison chance is nice too.

Actual layout stuff is fairly simple and nothing too interesting. Field opposite the gardens, keep stacking Gardens next to each other etc. etc.

Up in the top-right corner, we can find this. It's a decent helmet for Gloop more than Kate, since the Attack increase doesn't effect spells and all.

Yeah, so: chests! The Iron one's falling into a pretty predictable pattern at this point. 3x food items and 2 of the previous floor's Silver equipment. Works fine for me though.

The Silver one's not too different though. 1 food item, 1 item to sell (Diamond is 5000G) and 3 new pieces of equipment.

Like this. New ring that helps Kate in terms of raw defence, and everyone in general for being +10 points of resistance to all 3 elements.

This floor's grand total of 1 new monster is in the Field this time. Death Roosters like to Stun everyone a lot but aren't actually threatening so whatever.

They also drop this which is new food.

Plush Beds have Emperor Dogs sometimes, which is where this came from.

New weapon for Owen in the Silver chest here. It's a decent axe, but nothing worth writing home about. Gonna use it though.

Some decent new armor for Kate and Gloop...

And then there's this. Makes regular attacks Light elemental which is very rarely nice and I don't care enough to use it.

And last we have this in the Silver chest too. It's not that great so I'm just gonna sell it.

Oh right, got some new food so let's deal with that while I remember.

Shall I tell you how to eat it?
It's bird meat, just like Crowbat, so it's delicious fried. That's all you need to do. Nothing else.
And now, in return for teaching you this...

Miss, you've got to be grateful for even the smallest of favors...
Well, maybe it's rude for me to ask for thanks, since it was such a small favor, after all...

It's good for Speed but not much else. Meh, I'll pass on this one I reckon.

Doesn't take much longer to get the boss to spawn either, which is nice.

Devil Princess

Huh? Why!? You're not here for revenge...?
You got rid of my big brother. I HATED him! Thank you.
What!? You aren't angry about losing your brother? Is that a devil thing...?

Owen, shhhh.

No, you're giving her ideas. Stop talking!

And maybe a little sad...?
Okay, NOW I'm angry. I don't need some little bug preaching at me and telling me how to feel!
Did you call me a bug!?
Silence! I came here to thank you, and you just spoiled it! Maybe I should just leave.
What? Please, by all means! Let me show you the door...
Oh, don't worry. You'll be coming with me.

You're nuts.
Of course, I'll have to kill you first, before I can stuff you... Let's go!

Great, thanks Owen. This entire fight is your fault.

So, we're going to want Barriers up where possible for the Princess of course. This does have a weird quirk where it prevents you being healed via Lifesteal, but it doesn't reflect that at least.

We wat Barrier because of her basic attack, oddly enough. It counts as a spell in every way; uses Wisdom for damage, can be repelled and all that funstuff. That's because it's just a Lifesteal spell but as a regular attack instead.

This is going to help a bit, but not an awful lot because of the above.

Also, she unfortunately has this little trick.

Not only does it hit everyone, but it can poison too. Also it counts as a physical, despite calculating damage with Wisdom for some reason, so it can't be reflected with Barrier. Better get those Recovery Potions handy then!

She just has the two tricks, though. It takes a while because of that Lifesteal thing, but she'll die eventually. Could've gone quicker though.

End

She drops this which is... okay, I guess. Giving it to Gloop, since it's not enough of an upgrade for Owen to care.

The, uh, the 14th floor is kind of a mess jeez. Well then, let's get something started here...

Near the usual chests n such, we'll throw down 3 Altars.

Little bit further south, we'll dig out room for a Dojo...

And near the far south, we'll stick a bunch of Plush Beds ready.

In the bottom right corner, we can grab some Olive Oil for later use.

And, yeah, uh, I don't think money is going to be much of an issue at this point.

Same with Shovel's MP. 70 was already more than sufficient for basically everything; 80 is ridiculous and we can keep it going up higher and higher too.

But, uh, y'know we did just kill the Devil Lord's other kid. And he was pretty mad about losing the first one.

...Meh, I'm sure nothing will come of it. Probably just be something random and inconsequential for the next floor.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
"UHHBIHBOIFFBCAFYOBOA! WHAT THE gently caress DID YOU DO TO MY DAUGHTER?! She's back in her room crying...loving CRYING! DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT KINDS OF HEADACHES GO ALONG WITH THAT!? I swear to -god- if this next assassin doesn't kill you, I WILL DO IT MYSELF!" -The Demon King

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
After the Devil Lord,
The Devil King
the True Devil King
and then the secret Devil God fight or whatever.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Alavaria posted:

After the Devil Lord,
The Devil King
the True Devil King
and then the secret Devil God fight or whatever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So we just murdered someone because Owen was a dick to her. We could've avoided all of this if Owen didn't try to tell her how to think.

Good job, Owen, good job.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Well these things sure are escalating.

At least Owen didn't unlock some sort of demon princess route like if this was persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
This demon family sounds kinda dysfunctional. I mean, the Demon Lord said he sent his daughter over, but judging by her intention to just thank Owen, she never intended to do whatever the Demon Lord actually expected her to do. Must (have) be(en) in her rebellious phase.

• Locked thread